Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

I've tried to maintain a calm head throughout this, but yesterday was bloody pathetic.

My instinct is that the club/player group is very fragile at the moment - accordingly, things need to be handled sensitively and astutely. Perhaps conducting an urgent, independent AFL sanctioned review of the football department might be the go - if only to give supporters a line of sight as to what the situation actually is in there. I can't see how Neeld can justify these performances/results - not being competitive against the Suns at our home ground would be a death knell for any coach in the land.

Absolutely depressing stuff - I didn't see that loss coming, certainly the size of it anyway (nor the loss against Essendon for that matter, or Port to be honest - both games in which we had a reasonably full squad to choose from - Dawes and Clark excepted - following a pre-season that Neeld and Craig .

I share your concern Ron and have done so for some time. Your instincts on the player group are only 18 months overdue.

The whole process from the lead up to 186, the sacking of Bailey , the knee jerk ineptitude that got us Neeld and the appalling actions of an inexperienced coach who burnt the players off before the first game.

While the extent of the Port loss and performance it showed was a varying surprise to all, the Essendon and GCS were always on the cards. If there was any doubt about Neeld, his shell shocked demeanour after Round 1 was enough. He did nt see it coming, he did not know what to do and still doesn't it.

And after getting 23k for the Port game, I think this Board has done more enough to destroy this side with only 13k people turning up.

The sooner Jackson acts on Neeld the better. He is not solely the problem at MFC but he is definitely a part of the problem and is not part of any sensible solution. Under Neeld, a depleted side has gone so far backwards its not funny. And it's been like that since he got into the place.

• Like 3

Second hand;

Apparently David Schwartz spoke at a luncheon on Saturday prior to a Northern Football League (aka Diamond Valley) game.

I wasn't in attendance, however, I have been told that he said if we lost to the Suns, Neeld would not be at the club by Tuesday. Schwartz was also asked about the likelihood of Roos replacing Neeld, he went on to say the club had spoken to Roos, however, they believe Roos is heading to the Gold Coast - not Brisbane - the Gold Coast.

So let’s hope like hell the Suns form continues so Guy McKenna’s contract must be extended.

• Like 2

I felt physically ill yesterday. It was a performance that was inexcusable by any measure. To top it off, Sylvia has a brain fade and Dawes will also be looked at. Surely no-one on here can continue to defend the indefensible. Listening to Jackson yesterday morning, I get the distinct impression something will happen sooner rather than later. And it bloody well needs to.

The MFC is fast becoming terminal, if we sit by and twiddle our thumbs.

Edited by iv'a worn smith
  • Like 1

Interesting to look at the longevity of MFC coaches for the last century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Melbourne_Football_Club_coaches

Anyone with a win ratio of < 25% for the year got the chop.

Sadly MN is not likely to get anywhere near 25%.

John Northey was such a great coach.

To have a 54% winning record in that era of powerhouse teams is a great effort.

He really knew how to lead a group of players, and they bled for him.

• Like 1

doubt any coach no matter how experienced would do better - someone at the club told me that Neeld would remain because nobody else wants to coach us... does anyone really think someone like Roos would want to waste their time on a below average list? It is going to take years to get a number of decent recruits.

I think it's important that when Neeld goes, the people who appointed him and Bailey go too.

If there is no accountability at the top, there won't be accountability anywhere.

Players get sacked yearly but what about those who drafted, developed and coached them?

I expect Neeld to be just one of many casualties.

• Like 6

doubt any coach no matter how experienced would do better - someone at the club told me that Neeld would remain because nobody else wants to coach us... does anyone really think someone like Roos would want to waste their time on a below average list? It is going to take years to get a number of decent recruits.

the list isnt that bad.

• Like 3

Mark just doesn't have the experience to run a club like Melbourne. It's not his fault.

A shocking appointment is what it is.

Certainly seems like you're right about matching the man to the position.

But who were the also-rans for the job in 2012 ?

Was he the only viable choice at the time?

Edited by on the outer

Mark just doesn't have the experience to run a club like Melbourne. It's not his fault.

A shocking appointment is what it is.

Inexperience is not why Neeld's failed. He is just a bad decision maker who is coach of a terrible list.

And experience is not that important these days. Only two of the last eleven premiership coaches had senior experience before getting the top job. Better to have someone young and smart than past it.

Longmire

Scott

Malthouse

Clarkson

Thompson

Worsfold

Roos

Williams

Matthews

Sheedy

Pagan

• Like 1

When will MFC realise that they need a proven coach and stop getting people like Bailey & Neeld to coach. Rocket Eade is the perfect man for the job he has been a decent coach and is proven as well. Do you think he would put up with the rubbish currently being dished up by the players. Okay you may not have talent like other clubs and some of the recent recruiting is a disgrace but having a crack is not a talent thing.

WTF was Neeld doing by bringing in Rodan , Byrnes , Gillies and keeping duds like Sellar , Jetta and McDonald on the list for another year. Okay they may have found a couple in Terlich , Jones and l like the look of Kent as well. Sylvia needs to be traded for something decent , l am sorry but this guy is a cancer and just needs to be moved on. Ask anybody who doesn't support Melbourne and they will tell you Jones should have been captain. Grimes & Trengove don't deserve that position and its affected them as well. You need a senior player who can shoulder the responsibility of the ups & downs that happen in a football season.

A clean out at the end of the season will happen yet again but it's needed. Get rid of Rawlings , Craig , Brown and Royal. The list is shocking and you have had high draft picks and keep stuffing it up. Looks like leg speed is a problem when the opposition spreads and it wouldn't matter if you had Scarlett or Fletcher in the backline.

A decent proven coach has something to work with and supporters can handle losing but having a red hot crack is a non negotiable. From my point of view leg speed is an issue and l cannot believe you didn't look at Sam Dwyer from Port Melbourne. Everybody hates Collingwod but they are smart at recruiting a player like him. He has been knocking the door down for an opportunity for a while now. He uses it okay and has the speed the Demons lack , a late pick in the draft would have got the job done. No they pick up Rodan who was finished and doesn't have the pace anymore and will get delisted at the end of the year.

I know some of the supporters who go week in & week out no matter what and they deserve better. I am not a Melbourne supporter but l want to see the Victorian teams strong. I feel for the late Jim Stynes as well , this man doesn't deserve this rubbish those players are putting up atm. For someone who was very ill and still trying to help the club these results are a disgrace. I think the environment has plenty to do with the clubs lack of success over recent years. Hopefully they can keep Peter Jackson at the club for many years to come and l think he will enjoy the challenge of helping you turn it around.

I am a Essendon supporter please don't hold that against me. I have watched Melbourne many times this year as l have friends who support them but yesterday was a joke. They were never in the game from the start and its happened so many times this year. I hear the pain from my friends all the time but they are true supporters who continue to buy a Membership each year.

• Like 5

Inexperience is not why Neeld's failed. He is just a bad decision maker who is coach of a terrible list.

And experience is not that important these days. Only two of the last eleven premiership coaches had senior experience before getting the top job. Better to have someone young and smart than past it.

Longmire

Scott

Malthouse

Clarkson

Thompson

Worsfold

Roos

Williams

Matthews

Sheedy

Pagan

The MFC need an experienced coach with hand picked assistants.

I do not give a Jatz Cracker about what other clubs do.

As much as I don't like to add weight to the usual sack the coach threads I'm now ready to admit I am done with Neeld.

He has failed.

It's time to move on and move on immediately.

The MFC need an experienced coach with hand picked assistants.

I do not give a Jatz Cracker about what other clubs do.

Experience has advantages but is no panacea. It also tends to cost more. We should canvass the job widely and find the smartest candidate. Only interviewing two candidates last time was a huge mistake.

Our key problem has been our recruiting. If we get that right our other problems will gradually disappear. This is where we should be allocating much more of our resources. Overpaying for a coach like Paul Roos comes at the expense of a reduced budget for recruiting. We are running at a loss and are on like support from the AFL, so we can’t afford both. I would prefer Leigh Tudor as coach with good recruits walking into the club than Roos and more of the same crud players that we have drafted in recent years.

• Like 1

I'm not supporting Neeld but I'm trying to be a realist. If we sack him now, can anyone calling for his head really tell me who is going to replace him? How the team will all of a sudden improve? And where the money for the change is going to come from?

I think we have to keep him till seasons end because of these questions.

I was screaming to sack him after the game yesterday but if you stop and logically think about it, with who and how can the club do it. I think the immediate changes need to be with the support staff. For example how long has Royal been at this club and what is he doing to improve us?

Drastic changes aren't possible right now (as much as this pains me to say) so let's start attacking this cancer in manageable size portions.

I'm not supporting Neeld but I'm trying to be a realist. If we sack him now, can anyone calling for his head really tell me who is going to replace him? How the team will all of a sudden improve? And where the money for the change is going to come from?

I was screaming to sack him after the game yesterday but if you stop and logically think about it, with who and how can the club do it. I think the immediate changes need to be with the support staff. For example how long has Royal been at this club and what is he doing to improve us?

Drastic changes aren't possible right now (as much as this pains me to say) so let's start attacking this cancer in manageable size portions.

Good chance we won't improve, but could we get any worse?

Lets say Todd viney got the gig and got our boys playing one on one, that'd be better than his mess right now, plus we get the whole year with jackson at the helm to make sure we get the next decision right.

Experience has advantages but is no panacea. It also tends to cost more. We should canvass the job widely and find the smartest candidate. Only interviewing two candidates last time was a huge mistake.

Our key problem has been our recruiting. If we get that right our other problems will gradually disappear. This is where we should be allocating much more of our resources. Overpaying for a coach like Paul Roos comes at the expense of a reduced budget for recruiting. We are running at a loss and are on like support from the AFL, so we can’t afford both. I would prefer Leigh Tudor as coach with good recruits walking into the club than Roos and more of the same crud players that we have drafted in recent years.

Recruiting players, recruiting coaches, recruiting board members

Then developing players.

All a shambles.

No leaders since Neitz and Junior. Our 200+ games players are non-existent because of our Gutnick related lost draft picks in 99-00.

Imagine how much more crap we would cop if we still had Scully?? Amazing how we stuffed up that pick as well - what a Dud.

We are rooned.

Neeld supporters have been strangely absent the past 24 hours (other than the odd "like" of a post).

Would be good to see some front up to either stand by their views and their belittling of other posters who have questioned the current FD, or admit they were wrong. One or the other. To just not show up is pretty [censored] weak in my view.

Well I have kept quiet about Neeld regarding his appointment up to now I was prepared to give him a chance

However after yesterdays debacle , I like many others here, wonder what now ?? Where do we go from here?

What I saw yesterday was a dispirited, disinterested, inept show of football skills by a team who seems to have no courage or pride in themselves or the way the currently play their football, let alone in the jumper they wear.

They are like disinterested children who lack confidence and belief in themselves

I was a Auskick Co-ordinator for 10 years and I saw young children, how they reacted on days when they played football. When we played some matches they would do exactly the same thing.

The game went against them so they became disinterested and weren't willing to put in .

We had to talk to those kids and explain to them, that it didn't matter if they were behind, but what counted was how they played, we told them all they had to do was keep trying the whole game and if they did that their turn would come .

They needed to help their teammates they needed to do the little things that mattered but most of all they had to play as a team and if they lost don't worry there was no need to get upset about it, there was always next week, it didn't matter if they won or lost the game, they main thing that mattered was they enjoy it and have fun, "But of course that was Auskick"

However this is not Auskick this is supposedly AFL Football and it "does matter if you win or lose!"

You are judged each week on your performance and how you play and put in on game day

So its time to stop treating them like kids

Some of these players need the riot act read to them as well as the coaches, seems, we hear it all the time now they are wallflowers we must look after their welfare, that is the main concern for our players they are doing the best they can and will get better given time.

However in the meantime our club is slowly disintegrating as we watch.

What about us as Supporters, who is there to take care for our welfare!!!

Plus we don't get paid for it!!

Last Night I felt like throwing a brick through the TV .

Im fed up with the crap we see dished out nearly every time they run onto the ground,

But more than anything else what is this doing to our younger players and their own confidence and self belief?

Changes obviously need to be made , but where to start ?

Unfortunately Neeld is the one who must bear the blame as he is the senior coach.There seems to be no motivation nor self belief or real endeavour, there are too many passengers and the question that has to be asked is why???

That's the answer we need and once we have that then we need to take whatever actions are deemed necessary!

So as to address this problem sooner rather than Later .

For the sake of the MFC

Edited by Demon Stalwart
  • Like 1

Good chance we won't improve, but could we get any worse?

Lets say Todd viney got the gig and got our boys playing one on one, that'd be better than his mess right now, plus we get the whole year with jackson at the helm to make sure we get the next decision right.

Get the guy at Casey as interim coach Rohan Welsh, at least he has a team playing as a team. Were expected to finish bottom and he pulled it together pretty quickly.

Get the guy at Casey as interim coach Rohan Welsh, at least he has a team playing as a team. Were expected to finish bottom and he pulled it together pretty quickly.

I've heard much worse ideas! in the long term i think we need someone who has been there and done that though, tough decisions on Frawley, sylvia, watts coming up as well as potentially another priority pick that we absolutely must get right

I thought this post on Bigfooty summed up the situation quite well:

I've read through most of the thread but I realise that only Melbourne supporters, who watch Melbourne games and who follow the club, week in week out, are in the best position to judge on this.

It pains me to admit that I have never seen a AFL coach so clearly out of their depth. I vaguely recall Buckenara being sacked in his second season at Sydney when they were terrible in the early 90's. Peter Rhode was another that didn't last long. Damien Drum had a bad run. But I can't recall any of those sides being playing the the shameful dispirited malaise that is being dished by Melbourne under Neeld.

Let me say straight of the bat. I consider our list to be the worst in the league (worse than GWS in terms of future potential). So clearly there are issues other than Neeld. But there is always going to be bad teams in the league, but you could at least expect them on occasion to be competitive. The hallmark of us under Neeld tenure has been a shocking lack of competitiveness usually combined with a galling lack of effort.

I really for the guy. His coaching career is ruined. He'll likely go down as one of the worst coaches ever. The powers that be who hired him almost on a whim (looking squarely at you Gary Lyon) have made a catastrophic mistake for which there may be no way out. I really hope he has success in footy eslewhere when he departs. Won't get a senior AFL coaching gig again but hopefully there'll be other opportunities.

But all sentiments aside, these are all the reasons he must go.

- He has completely disenfranchised the playing group. This started with removing senior players Rivers and Moloney from the playing group and replacing them with two kids, who very clearly are not up the task. He comes in to the club with zero tolerance, scorched earth approach. The kind of militant ideology of the Tommy Hafey ilk. Whilst I appreciate what we wanted to achieve with this...It was quite arrogant, disrespectful and very naive.

Without any real knowledge of the playing group calls them soft and lazy " I walked in to a nightmare" - verbatim. I wonder what he'd say if he walked in the club now? In 2011 we were in finals contention for most of it (and there were some very glaring deficiencies of that side too) - but compared to now it feels like a freaking golden era. Obviously thinks all that is required is a strict disciplinarian. He strikes me as completely old-school and unable to communicate, especially with the younger players. Almost all of the younger players have gone backwards under him. Whilst I don't rate our talent, obviously to be drafted into the AFL they must of shown something at some point. Some of the players running around I could barely see playing regular VFL. Watts, Trengove etc - people forget - were developing well a couple of years ago. They're both now completely devoid of confidence, that seems a lot to do with playing under Neeld.

I think everyone recognises his off-season recruiting was diabolical. Whilst I do understand where he was coming from, getting more senior experienced players to club, the execution was woeful. Picked up players who were at the end of their careers and unlikely to get a game anywhere else. Picks up Dawes who I have never rated and has been carried by a great Collingwood team his whole career. These recruits looked a huge mistake to anyone from the outside looking in.

The is no resemblance of a game plan. He seems now to have dropped his hard-nosed attitude and now just looks completely lost. He has no idea how to turn it around. Every press conference is making me cringe as it just reveals more and more how lost he is. Refuses to shoulder any of the blame. He's desperate and his excuses are become more and more so. I, and many others I see here, am honestly worried for his mental health. That is a ridiculous state of affairs because the club is my priority and I should be absolutely hating him for what he's reduced it to. But I just feel sorry for him, feel sorry for the players. This mess pre-dates all of them. But FFS at some point we have to forget the past, move on and someone take some f***ing responsibilty!

I hate that we have to being in a gap-time coach so early in the season. But we cant go on like this. It's destroying the club. I've never seen it in a worse state.

This is just an absolute tragedy. I don't have any answers. And neither does Mark Neeld.

• Like 7