• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

Whatever happened or was said at 3/4 time, will give us the answer to our onfield problems.

I was sitting in the sun in the great southern stand and could not see what was happening. Can anyone shed some light on what happened in the huddle and how much time neeld spent with the player? Did anyone else address the players? Did the players address themselves? If so, which player/s did the talking?

Today was very very bizarre. Almost schizophrenic.

Maybe this is professor nutjobs plan?

Edited by tonatopia

Here's an idea for another poll:

Do you agree with those posters who expressed some disappointment in the Game Day thread that we had an all-time record last quarter because by winning we lost an opportunity to get rid of the coach.

They are of course welcome to their deep strategic thinking, but .....

• Like 6

Then you have to take your hat off to Neeld for saving the big effort for the last qtr

I don't really beleive that - payers play - they coaches instruct but it dosen't always happen to plan

You can't have your cake and eat it too Hardnut - when we are losing you can't blame it all on the coach then when we win not give credit

Neeld is not out of the woods - but 12 goals in the last has to give us supporters and the players something to believe in

I think you need to have a good look at a replay of the game!

However, I do agree with you that Neeld is not out of the woods, and both supporters and players have been given something to believe in - just what remains to be seen.

I think you need to have a good look at a replay of the game!

However, I do agree with you that Neeld is not out of the woods, and both supporters and players have been given something to believe in - just what remains to be seen.

mate i am confident I know where we are at - bottom 4

My comments are to you and the negatives on this thread and site - can't have your cake and eat it too - it's all Neelds fault when we lose no kudos when we win?

Here's an idea for another poll:

Do you agree with those posters who expressed some disappointment in the Game Day thread that we had an all-time record last quarter because by winning we lost an opportunity to get rid of the coach.

They are of course welcome to their deep strategic thinking, but .....

Neeld was looking at stats quietly at 3/4 time.

i got up and yelled;

"Forget the stats Neeld-just get them to have a Crack!"

I'm sick of champion data ,sports science ,assistant coaches and hangers on.

They cut the confusion for 30 glorious minutes and got the ball moving forward with drive ,aggression and intensity .

Simplicity took over.

Simply glorious to see that we are not crazy in believing that these guys have the talent .

• Like 4

i got up and yelled;

They cut the confusion for 30 glorious minutes and got the ball moving forward with drive ,aggression and intensity .

Simplicity took over.

Simply glorious to see that we are not crazy in believing that these guys have the talent .

I thought I saw him mouth the words kick it long to the tall timber in the goal square and take the game on and break packs.

Well thats what happened...

Deserves to see out his contract I think today will be a bit of a confident booster. he must be rapt he is getting games into Terlich, Jones, Evans, Gawn and even Viney. If these guys can player 10 to 15 games this year expect a massive improvement next year.

• Like 5

He still has a long way to go to remain at the end of the year but can we just let him (and the players) have that quarter?

Some refuse to remove the glasses they had on at 3 qtr time, some refuse to give any credit to the coach, and some poor minds are attempting to allude to some happy circumstance where at 3 qtr time Neeld 'let them play' as if he never wanted them to play in such a manner before that...

Just let him have that quarter.

• Like 2

mate i am confident I know where we are at - bottom 4

My comments are to you and the negatives on this thread and site - can't have your cake and eat it too - it's all Neelds fault when we lose no kudos when we win?

i got up and yelled;

Simplicity took over.

No negatives 'Unleash Hell' - just reality.

'Biff' has got it in one - a simple plan which players naturally want to play!

As I said in an earlier post, Matthew Lloyd's article in today's Age sums it up well - play one on one for a while, then gradually introduce strategies. Personally, I would add one prior ingredient - skills, skills, skills ...

Let him see out his contract at least, for gods sake. He's changing over the whole club, i know it's hard to swallow big losses, and people want to see this club be great, but it doesn't happen overnight.

hardwick was bad at the start... Clarkson was bad at the start... Bomber thompson was bad at the start...

Edit

By bad i mean win loss ratio

Edited by Deelirium
  • Like 5

He still has a long way to go to remain at the end of the year but can we just let him (and the players) have that quarter?

Some refuse to remove the glasses they had on at 3 qtr time, some refuse to give any credit to the coach, and some poor minds are attempting to allude to some happy circumstance where at 3 qtr time Neeld 'let them play' as if he never wanted them to play in such a manner before that...

Just let him have that quarter.

Can't agree more rpfc, for gods sake we won just enjoy the feeling.

Get back to scheming the downfall of the coach tomorrow.

Can't agree more rpfc, for gods sake we won just enjoy the feeling.

Get back to scheming the downfall of the coach tomorrow.

It's now tomorrow and no, I'm not scheming the downfall of the coach - that's in his own hands.

Just a reminder - we had a good win and it felt great, but reality is still around us - it's a long way to the top!

I hope a lot was learned from the win - corridor footy isn't a bad thing - taking chances isn't a bad thing - taking the game on isn't a bad thing - let's do it again!

Not sure if the article on the Dees website has been mentioned (We did it for the supporters) but I wanted to make mention of one passage.

Neeld: “Boring old stuff that the world hates and you guys (the media) never write, because it never sells papers – stick to the process and the plan and that’s what we do. It’s not as exciting as what people think, working inside a footy club.”

I don't know what others think, but I hate the way some of our people talk about footy. It's all process, excuses, formula. There's so little passion, emotion and excitement. There's no expectation to win. Yes, I get that we're young etc. but that doesn't excuse a couple of clubs north of the boarder from attacking the majority of contests with aggression and flair.

I want some passion and expectation of the now. I think the whole "play for the future" notion has been shot to the proverbial over the past 7 years.

Understanding your limitations is one thing. Accepting them is another.

• Like 2

Post match presser below. Will answer some of your questions.

Jack Trengove: "The way we played in that last quarter is the way we've been training all along"

http://lon-cdn220-is-11.se.bponlinewoc2264.ngcdn.telstra.com/PlatformRelease/493/725/130421_Neeld__042995.mp4

Not a big surprise. That was the problem in the first 3 rounds - we obviously train well against no opposition.

Not sure if the article on the Dees website has been mentioned (We did it for the supporters) but I wanted to make mention of one passage.

Neeld: “Boring old stuff that the world hates and you guys (the media) never write, because it never sells papers – stick to the process and the plan and that’s what we do. It’s not as exciting as what people think, working inside a footy club.”

I don't know what others think, but I hate the way some of our people talk about footy. It's all process, excuses, formula. There's so little passion, emotion and excitement. There's no expectation to win. Yes, I get that we're young etc. but that doesn't excuse a couple of clubs north of the boarder from attacking the majority of contests with aggression and flair.

I want some passion and expectation of the now. I think the whole "play for the future" notion has been shot to the proverbial over the past 7 years.

Understanding your limitations is one thing. Accepting them is another.

You are are correct 45HG - if anyone in a football club loses the passion, the emotion and the excitement, and the expectation to win, they should get out immediately.

mmm all good that we had a win , for me it was sooooo good , but me thinks , we have a like this button , can we get a DISLIKE BUTTON , cmon how about it , lately if your a MFC SUPPORTER , a DISLIKE BUTTON would get a belting , get it done .

• Like 1

mmm all good that we had a win , for me it was sooooo good , but me thinks , we have a like this button , can we get a DISLIKE BUTTON , cmon how about it , lately if your a MFC SUPPORTER , a DISLIKE BUTTON would get a belting , get it done .

We may not have a "dislike button" but you'd certainly found your space bar "button."

Tee hee hee.

Winky wink.

You are are correct 45HG - if anyone in a football club loses the passion, the emotion and the excitement, and the expectation to win, they should get out immediately.

Then why aren't you absolutely stoked about a 12.2 final quarter, come from behind, win?!

Despite the fact that we have just kicked our highest ever score for a quarter, and remember we have been a dominant side in the distant past and yes there were teams then who were more crap than we are now, and more crap than GWS is now.....still some want their taste of blood.

Thompson and Clarkson were also very precariously close to being sacked - supporters baying for blood in their second and third seasons, as no doubt would MFC fans in 1953 have blogged, were such around then, when a new coach called Smith guided them to (I think) last place with one win. He wasn't sacked for another 12 years, and sadly we have not recovered since from that shameful day.

Take at least some solace from this record score and hold off at least a week or two from the coup.

Then why aren't you absolutely stoked about a 12.2 final quarter, come from behind, win?!

Look, we're all happy to win, but it's measured against our ineptitude in large portions of the game. I was watching the match thinking how bad have we become. How has it come to this ? The last quarter was a reminder that things are never as bad as they seem. Confidence is an amazing intangible and I hope we can build on that last quarter.

Having been a regular training observer I've been impressed this preseason when compared to others, but you can't replicate the pressure of AFL footy and clearly our rank midfield puts us behind the 8 ball.

I hope Neeld doesn't coach this team in 2014, because he's fractured a playing group and clearly doesn't get the most from his players, but I will readily acknowledge that the disciplines he's put in place will hold the club in good stead into the future. I suspect we'll look back on Neeld's tenure and approve the professionalism, but lament his relationships.

• Like 1

Look, we're all happy to win, but it's measured against our ineptitude in large portions of the game. I was watching the match thinking how bad have we become. How has it come to this ? The last quarter was a reminder that things are never as bad as they seem. Confidence is an amazing intangible and I hope we can build on that last quarter.

Having been a regular training observer I've been impressed this preseason when compared to others, but you can't replicate the pressure of AFL footy and clearly our rank midfield puts us behind the 8 ball.

I hope Neeld doesn't coach this team in 2014, because he's fractured a playing group and clearly doesn't get the most from his players, but I will readily acknowledge that the disciplines he's put in place will hold the club in good stead into the future. I suspect we'll look back on Neeld's tenure and approve the professionalism, but lament his relationships.

Sorry, what are the disciplines he's put in place? I find this a somewhat baffling statement. We're still just as defensively loose as we were under Bailey. A lot of the players don't work hard enough both ways on game day. It's good to hear they've been training well, because I only see them on game day, but ultimately that's all that matters. Game day. They're not working hard enough and discipline is not a word I would throw about with this team.

If as you state that Neeld has fractured a playing group, then obviously you know which players feel "fractured". If you do have that information why dont you reveal all the names.

I would have thought that the last quarter shows he can get the players to lift. Given the previous three weeks that if there was ever a time when they were going to roll over it was the final quarter of Sunday's game. To me it showed a greater strength of character and a deep desire and conviction from the team to not just win but really play out the game. Maybe I am easily pleased. They did play some awful football on Sunday but when the crunch came they were all there together. That game was so important in terms of confidence. Despite their own confidence in the way that they were training the win showed that it could be transferred to game day. Who cares whether it was GWS or Nar Nar Goon North. It didn't matter. What mattered was the lift in the players spirit. I watched them run off with heads held high instead stooped and shattered. These young men needed Sunday as did the supporters. We have been through over twelve months of shite so FFS lets enjoy the moment.

• Like 3