Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

Anyone else see the article which is going to be in the Geelong Advertiser which was mentioned on AFL360?

It was about the Ox hoping the Dees get flogged thus speeding up Neelds exit.

I agree and was doing this last wk too. It's gotten that bad this is how I am feeling. It's pathetic.

This is like 1965-1985. MFC losers. I'm so sad. Can't we win some games?

N Jones - only started playing good footy in 2011 2012 under Neeld. [thank you to stuie]

Blease - hasnt improved

Strauss - has been injured (shoulder reco/broken leg) not a fair assesment on improvement as no original benchmark. Hasn't been playing too badly, biggest issue is consistently gives away frees.

McKenzie - I don't mean to be rude but Jordie isn't really AFL material. Plays with gutts, gets touches but the AFL level skills just aren''t there and probably wont be. Happy to be proved wrong.

Trengrove - injured foot not a fair assesment on performance so far this season. Needs more time to recover

Watts - has played his best footy under Neeld

Fitzpatrick - hard to determine. Development player. Needs to play more games to assess.

Tynan - see above

Taggart - hasnt improved & yet to debut

Davis - injured last year (thyriod issue)

There are clearly players that have improved under MN (Jones, Garland, Grimes, Watts), players that have developed well under MN (Terlich, M Jones, Tappy, Gawn, possibly Kent), players that are yet to be determined (Fitzpatrick, Strauss, Trengrove), players that haven't improved/developed under MN (Jamar, Pederson, Blease, Taggart, McKenzie, Bail ect.)

If you're going to scrutinise MN and if players have developed/improved or not then you need to have a look at the whole list, not just pick and choose those that suit you're argument - particularly players that have been injured (Strauss) and players that under any other circumstance wouldnt be on our list (McKenzie).

Clearly improvement hasnt been negligible at any level, and people are taking Jone's current form for granted - he did not always play like this well dispite being in the system for long enough.

To me this is the problem that most of us are accepting of. Getting within 10 goals we will be happy. What the.......

We should in no way be happy with this and accepting of this.

Our club is the laughing stock of the comp. the sooner Neeld is gone (and the restructure has happened) the better.

Not having a go TBF just pointing out how pathetically accepting of a 10 goal loss we are.

I don't disagree with your statement.

My comments were based on the fact that the MFC has lost its last two games by 15 goals or greater and has an averaging losses of over 12 goals a game. As much as it does sadden me to say the fact is to be beaten by Collingwood by only 10 goals would actually be an improvement.

I been annoyed as many other MFC supporters with the first 10 games of the season and was hoping to see some action/leadership from the Board. But that was not to be or at least at this stage.

The made up of the MFC Board appears to be focused on business people, which was really good for the debt reduction program. But to achieve greater on field success they been a failure.

I can either get more upset with the way the MFC has done over the past 5 years or start to see the funnier side of the current situation.

For the first time in my life, I have no enthusiasm for our club, and even worse, I don't care if win or lose. Completely apathetic.

Unless the neeld is replaced, aswell as the board that selected him, we can't begin to heal the wounds and spirit destroying attitude that the current powers have imprinted on the club. More than ever, we need a firebrand president and coach to get back to basics and re-ignite our spirit. Schwarz would be the perfect president with any proven premiership coach to instill belief back into the players.

Really, it's not neelds fault for applying and getting the job, it's our elected leaders fault for picking him. They must be replaced.

Secondly, if neeld was a good bloke, he would walk out on the club and refuse to accept a pay cheque for 2014. Let's see if he really gives a toss about the club.

TheBigFrog, on 05 Jun 2013 - 15:56, said:

if they get with 10 goals I will be alittle happier!.

To me this is the problem that most of us are accepting of. Getting within 10 goals we will be happy. What the.......

We should in no way be happy with this and accepting of this.

Our club is the laughing stock of the comp. the sooner Neeld is gone (and the restructure has happened) the better.

Not having a go TBF just pointing out how pathetically accepting of a 10 goal loss we are.

I am not happy that we would lose by 10 goals but in terms of this season it would be an improvement.

Personally I would love to see Collingwood smashed by 100 points by the boys but the chances of that happening is the same as the MFC being Premiers in 2013.

Ridiculous argument. I've said in other threads that I agree with you regarding Neeld's performance as a coach, but to stoop to such low-level arguments as to blame Neeld for anything negative and fail to attribute any positives at all undermines any argument you're trying to raise.

In the end, you can list the positives for Neeld on one or two hands. Jones is one of them, whether you like it or not. If Neeld is to blame for players not improving, then by extension he is to take credit for players who are improving.

Moreover, if Jones' improvement comes from work ethic, what does that say about the remainder of our list? If he can improve irrespective of the coach, why can't others?

Jones was a massive disappointment for years. He's simply got to the level I expected when we drafted him. Not before time.

I can't credit the Nutjob for any player development whatsoever.

• Like 1

For the first time in my life, I have no enthusiasm for our club, and even worse, I don't care if win or lose. Completely apathetic.

Unless the neeld is replaced, aswell as the board that selected him, we can't begin to heal the wounds and spirit destroying attitude that the current powers have imprinted on the club. More than ever, we need a firebrand president and coach to get back to basics and re-ignite our spirit. Schwarz would be the perfect president with any proven premiership coach to instill belief back into the players.

Really, it's not neelds fault for applying and getting the job, it's our elected leaders fault for picking him. They must be replaced.

Secondly, if neeld was a good bloke, he would walk out on the club and refuse to accept a pay cheque for 2014. Let's see if he really gives a toss about the club.

Really sorry to hear you have lost interest in the MFC.

Things always turn around and when that does happen it will be exciting to be around the MFC.

Don't let the current coach get you down, he does have a family to support and he not particularly a MFC person other than he was employed by us. Hes a professional coach and as our President just said the MFC is a business.

Really sorry to hear you have lost interest in the MFC.

Things always turn around and when that does happen it will be exciting to be around the MFC.

Don't let the current coach get you down, he does have a family to support and he not particularly a MFC person other than he was employed by us. Hes a professional coach and as our President just said the MFC is a business.

Too right TBF.

Chin up Tonatopia - this [censored] is character building.

Admirable sentiment, but totally unfair.

This is Neeld's job. It's how he pays his bills. Of course he's going to do his best to keep it. If you think he's just meandering along twiddling his thumbs waiting out time, you have a ridiculously poor perception of reality.

He may not get any better, he may not do anything to save his job and he may well be sacked at some point. But Neeld has every damn right to try to prove us wrong and turn fortunes around. I don't think it will happen, but I'm not going to berate him for not walking.

Anyone else see the article which is going to be in the Geelong Advertiser which was mentioned on AFL360?

It was about the Ox hoping the Dees get flogged thus speeding up Neelds exit.

I agree and was doing this last wk too. It's gotten that bad this is how I am feeling. It's pathetic.

I'm glad OX is writing the article, it takes guts, I've personally been hoping for hidings the past month, so Neeld gets the sack.

But, I haven't even had the guts to post that on here, yet Schwartz is going to make his article public to the whole football world, it takes guts.

Good on David Schwartz I say, he is passionate, wants to see the back of Neeld and hopefully we can all rally behind Schwartz.

BL_gVR4CcAAHyy1.jpg

Quite vocal, Shwarter.

Looking forward to readng the article.

Mzungu, Spurr, Ballantyne, Barlow, Hannath were mature aged recruits who weren't originally deemed good enough.

Dawson, Clancy Pearce, De Boer, Sutcliff, Crozier are presently no world beaters. There's eleven players there. Half Freo's team.

Barlow, Fyfe, Pavlich, Duffield, Mayne, Mzungu, Johnson, Griffin, Ibbotson, Hill, Crowley, McPharlin, Zac Clarke, Pearce, De Boer all played in the team that lost to Melbourne by 89 points two years ago.

It's amazing what a good coach with great structures and game-plan can do when the players believe and work for their coach. Conversely, the opposite can be true - and dire.

Ross Lyon inherited a sub-par team and seems to have made them a solid team. Mark Neeld inherited a club in crisis. However, let's run with your summation.

So you've decided based on the evidence you've provided that Neeld is useless - What next??

Do we fire our coach and hope Ross Lyon or someone similar wants to commit career suicide?

What's the plan of attack?

Ross Lyon inherited a sub-par team and seems to have made them a solid team. Mark Neeld inherited a club in crisis. However, let's run with your summation.

So you've decided based on the evidence you've provided that Neeld is useless - What next??

Do we fire our coach and hope Ross Lyon or someone similar wants to commit career suicide?

What's the plan of attack?

Plan of attack would be to look where Ross came from - the Sydney line, done his apprenticeship under Roos.

Ross Lyon is a culture changer and builder, gets the best out of his players.

Look where Neeld comes from - Malthouse line, done his apprenticeship under Mick, who is people motivator, yet not a great culture builder.

Melbourne Football Club need? A culture changer and builder, not a short term fix like motivating people to get up for a game, it's more than that at the MFC.

Personally I don't think David Schwartz should be allowed anywhere near our club, but I am glad that he is making people aware of the grave danger the club is in at present.

We are nearly on our knees and if things get much worse, well.. I shutter to even think of that.

Ridiculous argument. I've said in other threads that I agree with you regarding Neeld's performance as a coach, but to stoop to such low-level arguments as to blame Neeld for anything negative and fail to attribute any positives at all undermines any argument you're trying to raise.

In the end, you can list the positives for Neeld on one or two hands. Jones is one of them, whether you like it or not. If Neeld is to blame for players not improving, then by extension he is to take credit for players who are improving.

Moreover, if Jones' improvement comes from work ethic, what does that say about the remainder of our list? If he can improve irrespective of the coach, why can't others?

The fact that Neeld has got a few credits - Clark, Dawes, improved Jones etc, is the only thing that stops me from believing he actually came to the club intent on destroying it.

• Like 4

The fact that Neeld has got a few credits - Clark, Dawes, improved Jones etc, is the only thing that stops me from believing he actually came to the club intent on destroying it.

Its all making sense to me now.

He comes from Collingwood to the MFC and now we worse then awful.

It pay back for our 1964 Grand Final win!

Dam those Collingwood fanatics have a long memory and are very unforgiving.

Could someone please explain the paranoia of an exodus of players resulting from Neeld; for as I read it we are apparently in danger of losing Watts, Sylvia, Frawley and Gawn. Now of theses:

Frawley is contracted to the end of 2014 and therefore would require a significant advantageous trade to the MFC from another club to even get traction. Even if he wished to leave in 2014 a new coach/Footy Dept would back itself to keep him.

Sylvia if he is a restricted free agent, then all Melbourne has to do is match the price offered by another club; something that it easily has the capacity to do. This would then force the other club to negotiate by trade should they be serious in their pursuit. Again advantage Melbourne. If he is unrestricted then yes he could go, but that would free up a lot of cash to bid up other players i.e Dale Thomas weakening the club that gets him; or chase a Black, Stokes, Hayes, Le-Cras, Mitchell (both of them) or any midfielder contracted or not with a disproportionate offer.

Watts is out of contract and can be traded or go into the pre-season draft which in all likelihood would see him at GWS. Something that should be extremely unappealing to him, as they would likely use him as a key position back - they already have two well credentialed young key forwards and maybe Franklin. His other likely pre-season draft option would be the bulldogs who would offer nothing better than us. So again it would be trade, resulting in advantage Melbourne.

Gawn could easily be the target of a GWS raid, but it is unlikely that they would look at him as being the preseason target; rather looking for a more senior out of contract player. This would mean he would need to seek a trade to get to another destination, which, yes you guessed it means advantage Melbourne.

It should be noted that the threat to go into the preseason draft by any MFC player is hollow as Melbourne is likely to have the first or second pick and be able to redraft them. Melbourne will also have the capacity (salary cap) to meet any financial restrictions that said player may stipulate.

Note: not saying I’m in favour of Neeld staying; I have grave concerns about what he is doing to the confidence and ability of our players to play football naturally; am just wanted clarification on the possible player exodus reason that so often is bandied about.

have edited the Frawley typo to reflect 2014

Edited by Ungarie boy
  • Like 2

Could someone please explain the paranoia of an exodus of players resulting from Neeld; for as I read it we are apparently in danger of losing Watts, Sylvia, Frawley and Gawn. Now of theses:

Frawley is contracted to the end of 2013 and therefore would require a significant advantageous trade to the MFC from another club to even get traction. Even if he wished to leave in 2014 a new coach/Footy Dept would back itself to keep him.

Sylvia if he is a restricted free agent, then all Melbourne has to do is match the price offered by another club; something that it easily has the capacity to do. This would then force the other club to negotiate by trade should they be serious in their pursuit. Again advantage Melbourne. If he is unrestricted then yes he could go, but that would free up a lot of cash to bid up other players i.e Dale Thomas weakening the club that gets him; or chase a Black, Stokes, Hayes, Le-Cras, Mitchell (both of them) or any midfielder contracted or not with a disproportionate offer.

Watts is out of contract and can be traded or go into the pre-season draft which in all likelihood would see him at GWS. Something that should be extremely unappealing to him, as they would likely use him as a key position back - they already have two well credentialed young key forwards and maybe Franklin. His other likely pre-season draft option would be the bulldogs who would offer nothing better than us. So again it would be trade, resulting in advantage Melbourne.

Gawn could easily be the target of a GWS raid, but it is unlikely that they would look at him as being the preseason target; rather looking for a more senior out of contract player. This would mean he would need to seek a trade to get to another destination, which, yes you guessed it means advantage Melbourne.

It should be noted that the threat to go into the preseason draft by any MFC player is hollow as Melbourne is likely to have the first or second pick and be able to redraft them. Melbourne will also have the capacity (salary cap) to meet any financial restrictions that said player may stipulate.

Note: not saying I’m in favour of Neeld staying; I have grave concerns about what he is doing to the confidence and ability of our players to play football naturally; am just wanted clarification on the possible player exodus reason that so often is bandied about.

Frawley is contracted to the end of 2014

Yes, the way the AFL is structured - any exodus will hardly be of Biblical proportions...

But Sylvia is an UFA and my thoughts of the bloke will alter if he makes the harder decision and sticks around.

Watts is our asset to do what we want with.

Not worried about Gawn or Frawley.

I am not happy that we would lose by 10 goals but in terms of this season it would be an improvement.

Personally I would love to see Collingwood smashed by 100 points by the boys but the chances of that happening is the same as the MFC being Premiers in 2013.

Make an investment on the double TBF, it'll pay very nicely.

Saw in an article Neeld said they were tryinv to convince Watts to stay. Funny thing to say if Watts isnt considering walking out...

Wouldn't a club always be trying to convince a valued out-of-contract player to stay?