Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

We can promote that culture when we one day (if we one day) have players of the ilk like Johnson (200th), Enright (250th), Corey, Bartel, Kelly, Selwood, Taylor, Lonergan, - players that play for each other and who have played alongside one another for many years.

Players of immense experience with one another which our list doesn't have that luxury. The players I mention above were playing alongside each other when Daniher was coaching. Chapman was another (who didn't play tonight).

There's their experienced core and they've managed their list to a "tee" in filtering the right players with the required amount of game time over the last 2 yrs when they gradually lost premiership stars to retirement.

These players have learnt from the best and helped establish their already strong culture.

Our best players 4-5 years ago, bar Junior and Neitz weren't the right calibre of quality of Geelong's outstanding players. Our core was comparatively inconsistent and our midfield was no where near Geelong's, it still isn't.

When you have their quality, strong competitive and tactically strong mindset and their winning ways, of course you're going to enjoy playing be it different positions for tactics or giving experience to 20-30 gamers that will put them in good stead for when asked to go in a final(s).

I remember an early season night game between MFC and Geelong several years ago - we won by 5 goals, but the game was much closer than that - it was a good game to watch and not just because we won. I remember thinking this could be the start of a new era for MFC - how wrong I was, Geelong went on to build a dynasty and we collapsed to today's mess. I agree with your post in general H_T, but just want to add that that game several years ago was a starting point for today's Geelong and their team, like ours that night, included young players with potential.

I hope against all hope that we win today and I am proven wrong.

Anyone who doesn't think us "Neeld haters" wish to be wrong, are kidding themselves.

I'm sick of being a loser club, I'm sick of feeling sick at the footy. I want to be proud of this club and I hope I can walk away feeling proud today.

• Like 4

yes they were. Its a part of adding some maturity, body size, & to aid in the culture shift which involved some experience going out, with fresh & not set in concrete attitudes coming in.

to change the onfield & about the club ways these things Have to happen, or change Cannot!

They, are also players that give us added depth, in the areas where the list needed support.

They are transition players mostly that will Force our kids to jump higher run harder & get bigger & stronger to achieve their games on Merit.

Dawes is a genuine longer term player, who'll eventually be our 3rd Tall leadup player, with Clark,& our young key forward... eventually I see Clark as 2nd ruck follower with Fitzpatrick switching with him in the role. & Gawn or Spencer as the No 1 Ruck.

So a Forwardline of Hogan, Clark, Dawes with Howe/Watts off a flank switching thru the R/Rover roles, & Byrnes/???? small forward....

Pederson, its too soon to say anything really, after coming into a baptism of fire... I still think he has something to offer & lots of growth in him. still far too soon to say.

Who would you have in ahead of Byrnes?

I confess to thinking Rodan may have given us one year of solid midfield performance and leadership by example - I was wrong.

Pederson no. Dawes doubtful - I will be surprised if he succeeds. Byrnes is skilful and may provide some leadership, but only a short term proposition and probably taking the place of a youngster.

As an aside, I am also concerned about Clark and his injury record - hopefully this will not be an ongoing issue.

I would have preferred us to go with youngsters (eg Hogan) - given good coaching, there is nothing like the enthusiasm and desire of youth - if they are any good, they will build their own model of leadership, based on the leadership offered from the top of the club (including admin etc) - every young player who gets a chance at AFL level clearly has strong basic abilities (and probably had some leadership at junior levels) and they are keen to show them. GWS gives some idea of the possibilities in this area.

Not strictly an answer to your question, but you can see my thinking.

I dont hate Neeld at all. Hes probably an interesting bloke to talk to, have a drink with.

Ive often made the comment that it matters not to me who or what the team is or coaches are etc as long as they form a cohesive competitive outfit.

We havent been this ....hardly ever since the early 60's save a few years here and there.

I dont hate Neeld..I just HATE what we are....f'n useless and a laughing stock in this competitiion.

I have no confidence now that he is the man for this job. Its been all talk and no results to date.. and the results get worse.

If theres another 100 pointer today you can write this bloke off all together.

Jeez I hate losing

• Like 1

I hope against all hope that we win today and I am proven wrong.

Anyone who doesn't think us "Neeld haters" wish to be wrong, are kidding themselves.

I'm sick of being a loser club, I'm sick of feeling sick at the footy. I want to be proud of this club and I hope I can walk away feeling proud today.

+1 Jaded

I dont hate Neeld at all. Hes probably an interesting bloke to talk to, have a drink with.

Ive often made the comment that it matters not to me who or what the team is or coaches are etc as long as they form a cohesive competitive outfit.

We havent been this ....hardly ever since the early 60's save a few years here and there.

I dont hate Neeld..I just HATE what we are....f'n useless and a laughing stock in this competitiion.

I have no confidence now that he is the man for this job. Its been all talk and no results to date.. and the results get worse.

If theres another 100 pointer today you can write this bloke off all together.

Jeez I hate losing

+1 BB

im cheering for Carlon to beat us by 150

cos as long as Neeld is our coach we are stuffed

I really hope you are joking

your posts contribute nothing ever

you are a [censored]

today was always going to be a tough day for melbourne, with our first choice ruckman out and two key forwards, made even worse by having to use our sub so early, but yet we have played a competitive first half with only a few lapses in concentration resulting in goals. will this match blow out, unfortunately i think so, is this neelds fault? no

• Like 3

This comment is the anti Satyriconhome. A peanut comment but in direct contrast to his 'everything is awesome' rhetoric.

Had enough!

Sick of turnovers costing us goals, sick of poor skill execution, sick of only being able to pay 1/2 a game, sick of seeing the same players making the same mistakes every week, sick of not seeing any game-plan response to being slaughtered in the centre clearance every week - thiscan't go on - Neeld and assistant coaches have to go!

The game plan is not enjoyable to watch, definately not enjoyable to play, and the only enjoyment to be had in the future is for oppostion teams.

I don't believe in doing anything that destabalises a club,but currently we are just not playing Footy!!!! It's a version of tips on a footy field. It's time to act before we loose everyone!!

If I was likely to get drafted by the Dee's, I would take a "gap year" overseas and come back as a deregistered player to join another club, and I am a melbourne supporter. No way would I like to play our brand of footy, which more resembles "Octopus, with a football" (standing in space waving arms while people run through you in waves); yes it may be a job but it is also something you want to PLAY (enjoy). No-one likes going to a workplace that they don't enjoy, and nearly all people in this situation will look for work elsewhere.

P.s if you are unfamilar with Octopus, then best ask a kindegarten child - it tends to be one of there favourtie games

Edited by Ungarieboy

The game plan is not enjoyable to watch, definately not enjoyable to play, and the only enjoyment to be had in the future is for oppostion teams.

I don't believe in doing anything that destabalises a club,but currently we are just not playing Footy!!!! It's a version of tips on a footy field. It's time to act before we loose everyone!!

If I was likely to get drafted by the Dee's, I would take a "gap year" overseas and come back as a deregistered player to join another club, and I am a melbourne supporter. No way would I like to play our brand of footy, which more resembles "Octopus, with a football" (standing in space waving arms while people run through you in waves); yes it may be a job but it is also something you want to PLAY (enjoy). No-one likes going to a workplace that they don't enjoy, and nearly all people in this situation will look for work elsewhere.

P.s if you are unfamilar with Octopus, then best ask a kindegarten child - it tends to be one of there favourtie games

That second quarter was really enjoyable to watch. I could handle seeing that for a hundred minutes a week.

• Like 4

All I'll say is 40ish games per player ave today

Glad to see expectations are in check

27 games average for GWS yesterday

Edited by hogans_heroes

What an enthralling game, watching 'father' coaching against 'son' - please can we get rid of this boring 'Collingwood' style of play.

I must say though, that at one point in the second quarter, it looked like a real game of footy might break out - one can only wish!

I also thought the players gave what they could, given the coaching restrictions imposed on them!

• Like 2

At this rate we will only win against the expansion clubs if we are lucky. Do any of you really want to start next season with Neeld if this happens? How do we stop the floggings and keep members .....?