Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

I put up the scores from last season to show that the 28 point loss yesterday does not automatically decree that we have gone backwards. We have had many a loss at the Gabba over the years. What is annoying to us all is that it was a winnable game but we botched it (Bail not seeing Davey 20 metres clear in the goalsquare is one that annoyed me most). However, we seem to be gradually improving on our first two rounds (Didn't everyone underestimate Port & Essendon?). Yes, there are worrying signs but things can turn around in this game (just look at Port & Essendon).

Spot on!

• Like 1

2012 at the Gabba Brisbane 18 14 122 Melb 8 13 61

We beat Essendon in 2012 so I think your argument is void. We also smashed GWS by 100 points.

Also, Brisbane is [censored]. Shadow of the average team it was last year.

• Like 3

I put up the scores from last season to show that the 28 point loss yesterday does not automatically decree that we have gone backwards. We have had many a loss at the Gabba over the years. What is annoying to us all is that it was a winnable game but we botched it (Bail not seeing Davey 20 metres clear in the goalsquare is one that annoyed me most). However, we seem to be gradually improving on our first two rounds (Didn't everyone underestimate Port & Essendon?). Yes, there are worrying signs but things can turn around in this game (just look at Port & Essendon).

I think the most damning aspects represent regression, rather than progression.

We HAVE improved on rounds 1-3. But that's not saying much.

But the same issues - opposition transition, structures, uncontested ball count, over possession, kicking and handballng into pressure, fitness - are all present.

• Like 2

Ah yes, Simon Black and Daniel Rich had 26 and 24 that day, how'd they go today?........

Stef Martin had a good game too, how'd he go today?

Brisbane actually had more scoring shots today btw, we had about the same.

Would you please type the following words into google, read about what they mean and then reflect on how you think/assess things:

1. Inductive reasoning; and

2. Confirmation bias.

The Gabba is known to have an enormous home ground advantage to it - look at the stats over the past decade.

But heh - that won't fit in with your overly convenient, tedious, predictable anti-Neeld stance, so I expect you'll just ignore those facts.

Edit: iPad typo

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 2

Do you get upset when the leg of lamb you put in the oven 5 minutes ago is still red raw?

If you put a leg of lamb in the oven and a year and a half later the oven hasn't come up to temp and half of the leg of lamb has left the oven to be replaced by mutton mince you might have to look for problems with the oven rather than blaming the lamb.

People around here are delusional. It doesn't get any worse than we are playing.

• Like 1

Would you please type the following words into google, read about what they mean and then reflect on how you think/assess things:

1. Inductive reasoning; and

2. Confirmation bias.

The Gabba is known to have an enormous home ground advantage to it - look at the stats over the past decade.

But heh - that won't fit in with your overly convenient, tedious, predictable anti-Neeld stance, so I expect you'll just ignore those facts.

Edit: iPad typo

Do you really think it is instructive to look at theLions record in a premiership year to determine our performance yesterday?

FMD

Yeah it's been our midfield all along. Bailey had our defence working well: Frawley All-Australian, Rivers a gun, Jack Grimes was All Australian talk. Our forward line was bristling with talent. Just too young in the midfield so the senior teams beat us up. Bails had the right idea getting young gun mids (Scully, Treng, Gys) and hoping his job lasted long enough to see them develop like Ziebel, Swallow etc. have at Nth.

Neeld has overseen a depletion of talent across all areas of the ground, so now we quite literally have no chance of winning against even average opposition.

• Like 1

The biggest con sold to supporters in a decade.

Is there any chance at all this 9-word contribution could have been added to any of the existing threads on Neeld, instead of starting another new thread?

I reckon you would have the highest strike rate on Demonland of starting new threads to post count, Soidee. How about you contribute in existing threads?

Too many talented but underdeveloped players let go, replaced with vfl standard players. Bravo Neeld!

He will go, it's just when. Read what port players are saying about Hinkley already? With our players it's all about the need to buy in. If we were buying in, this would never get mentioned.

HT take a deep breath mate. We are all going through a lot of anguish with our football club and the sport we all love.

I will try and ease up on new threads but while on topic I simply cannot see any genuine improvement in the way this group play their football under Neeld.

Actually I like Mark Neeld as a bloke and still have a tiny bit of faith, but bloody hell it is a shocking standard of football to watch each and every week. 6 years of bloody terrible football to watch.

Neeld has shown very very little in their style of play which excites me. Back to my original point....where is the improvement?

It is a legitimate question...I reckon only those supporters with their heads in the sand would see otherwise.

• Like 2

The debate will continue, but the facts are this. We were smashed in the possession count, we chased arse for most of the day, the opposition found it very easy to run into space and if the Lions had kicked straight in the the 2nd quarter, it would have been all over at half time.

It pains me that there are so many who readily accept mediocrity.

I cannot say for certain that the problem is solely down to Mark Neeld, but whatever the problem maybe, it is becoming so chronic, the time may have passed for a cure. It is up to the administration, to identify the problem, put a strategy in place and bloody well fix it.

In today's modern football world, you will be eaten up if you can't or won't lift your standards.

• Like 1

Mark Thompson, 2006. After SIX YEARS in charge of his team, they miss the finals and suffer losses of 52, 102, 92, and 61 points (the latter at the hands of the lowly Hawks, no less!). I imagine you blokes - had you been Cats supporters - would have been highly vocal in your support of him, given your surety that he was on the cusp of building the greatest team of the modern era.

Oh wait.

Good post..... A lot of jumping the gun on this thread with little facts taken in to account

Am pretty disappointed with our mid-field though - very frustrating.

Next two weeks are very important for Neeld

The debate will continue, but the facts are this. We were smashed in the possession count, we chased arse for most of the day, the opposition found it very easy to run into space and if the Lions had kicked straight in the the 2nd quarter, it would have been all over at half time.

I cannot say for certain that the problem is solely down to Mark Neeld, but whatever the problem maybe, it is becoming so chronic, the time may have passed for a cure. It is up to the administration, to identify the problem, put a strategy in place and bloody well fix it.

In today's modern football world, you will be eaten up if you can't or won't lift your standards.

Ivor - the debate for me on this thread is not team performance..... We all know the team is struggling no one is arguing the team is not

What we arguing is that how long do we give Neeld to fix this.... I am on the end of year bandwagon - the club shouldn't make rushed decisions.

A caretaker should only be installed when and if the players verbally reject Neeld - which hasn't happened yet.

Beamer Got 36 possises today Ablett will get 60

Agreed R&B4life

I think it is pretty obvious to everyone we have the worst and laziest (worst defensive) midfield in the AFL.

The question is how long does Neeld have to fix this? What is an acceptable time frame?

It's pretty hard to defend a coach who is happy with a five goal loss in a very winnable game,

lets be honest here we should have gone very close if not won this game, and it's not unreasonable to think a developing side is going to beat another bottom six side

• Like 2

Ah yes, Simon Black and Daniel Rich had 26 and 24 that day, how'd they go today?........

Stef Martin had a good game too, how'd he go today?

Brisbane actually had more scoring shots today btw, we had about the same.

I think the fact they have Simon Black AT the club is a huge factor.

The Lions have Simon Black to learn from, and train with. Who do we have? Col Sylvia. Until last year, Moloney. Great.

This is exactly why the cultural change that this club is going through is absolutely the most important thing at the moment.

• Like 2

I think the fact they have Simon Black AT the club is a huge factor.

The Lions have Simon Black to learn from, and train with. Who do we have? Col Sylvia. Until last year, Moloney. Great.

This is exactly why the cultural change that this club is going through is absolutely the most important thing at the moment.

And what exactly might that be? I have been waiting a long time for the so called, "cultural change"

List management mistakes accepted, I do not believe the current list is as bad as the results have indicated.

• Like 1

We lost against the Brisbane kids today. A big loss is coming.

A big, big loss. Most probably next week.

I wanted a coach who would get the best out of our players.

was that too much to ask?

To some around here? Yes, yes it was.

But there are benefits to following a near unwatchable footy side.

Just give me a minute to think of them..

I was at the game and you have it pretty much got it covered IWS

Spot on.

What really grinds me is no matter WHO the opposition are, there are excuses as to how/why they are vastly superior and us inferior. If we were beaten by GWS, you could put your effing house on it being a case of, "well they have a midfield consisting of Shiel, Greene, Ward, Scully etc..who do we have?".."they have so many high draft picks, it was only a matter of time..".."excuse C"

The chronic acceptance of failure amongst some supporters is sickening, and Neeld's entire ethos is not helping. We are sinking further and some are standing back playing violins, extracting any indicators possible to point to as evidence of improvement, when the football WORLD can see that we have been plunged to absolute ROCK BOTTOM under this coach's watch.

• Like 3

Ivor - the debate for me on this thread is not team performance..... We all know the team is struggling no one is arguing the team is not

What we arguing is that how long do we give Neeld to fix this.... I am on the end of year bandwagon - the club shouldn't make rushed decisions.

A caretaker should only be installed when and if the players verbally reject Neeld - which hasn't happened yet.

I understand UH, but as I said, I am not saying the issue is all down to Mark Neeld. I simply say, there is a serious problem which is deep seated within the club and it needs to be fixed and I for one do not want to wait for yet another end of year review.

As I said on another thread, I do not believe the playing list we have, including the midfield is as bad as our performances suggest. Something is very wrong, and it is incumbent on the administration to fix it now. Simply put, the players are not buying in. WHY????

Spot on.

What really grinds me is no matter WHO the opposition are, there are excuses as to how/why they are vastly superior and us inferior. If we were beaten by GWS, you could put your effing house on it being a case of, "well they have a midfield consisting of Shiel, Greene, Ward, Scully etc..who do we have?".."they have so many high draft picks, it was only a matter of time..".."excuse C"

The chronic acceptance of failure amongst some supporters is sickening, and Neeld's entire ethos is not helping. We are sinking further and some are standing back playing violins, extracting any indicators possible to point to as evidence of improvement, when the football WORLD can see that we have been plunged to absolute ROCK BOTTOM under this coach's watch.

We were at rock bottom before our current coach arrived, we just didn’t fully realise it.

No point sacking the coach at this point, let the interim CEO complete his review and then make educated decisions from there.

• Like 3

They've gone backwards at a rate of knots and score the same... We go backwards at a rate of knots and score 33 points more.

Maybe it's because I have lived in Queensland for so long now, but 3/4 of the posts on this site make no sense to me at all. From both a logic and support point of view.

Wouldn't a 33 point improvement mean a 54% improvement?

How about this instead:

"Well done Mr. Neeld. To take a club in this position and to have hardly any support from your so called supporter base and work a 54% improvement is great. Of course, we would have absolutely preferred the win under the circumstances, but we will take a 54% improvement over zero improvement. What can we as supporters do to help?"

Definitely lived in Queensland too long.

And what exactly might that be? I have been waiting a long time for the so called, "cultural change"

List management mistakes accepted, I do not believe the current list is as bad as the results have indicated.

The coach does not have the players.

The disaster continues. Yesterday was bruise free, offensive only football, but much worse than Bailey. It appears Neeld has changed his game plan in a desperate attempt to save his career.

Neeld should resign in shame, but considering he will not do what is best for the club, the board must fire him immediately. It has simply got to the stage that we simply have nothing to lose.

• Like 1