Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Eddie Betts

olisik

17 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

It absolutely does in this case. I think his career is likely done, or should be. 

I'll agree to disagree

14 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Agreed Moonie.

We need a good small forward, but you get the feeling Eddie is past it.  Can still produce some magical goals, but they are few and far between now.  He has lost a step of pace and that has allowed mid size backmen to take him out of the game all too often.

He kicked 37 goals (some magical, some just plain useful) which is 15 more than our highest goal kicker this year. 

And Eddie’s reputation as an off-field asset is almost as strong as his reputation on the oval. If it looks like we haven’t nabbed any other small forward by the end of the trading period, and Eddie has his hand up, would you guys still say “hard pass”? And if so what’s the option?

Go into another season without somebody filling that role?

Try somebody like Neville Jetta in that position, as has been discussed here of late? 

Would Jetta do a better job than Eddie in that role? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

He kicked 37 goals (some magical, some just plain useful) which is 15 more than our highest goal kicker this year. 

And Eddie’s reputation as an off-field asset is almost as strong as his reputation on the oval. If it looks like we haven’t nabbed any other small forward by the end of the trading period, and Eddie has his hand up, would you guys still say “hard pass”? And if so what’s the option?

Try somebody like Neville Jetta in that position, as has been discussed here of late? 

there's a lot of sense in that post. Length of contract term is probably what will sway a lot of clubs.

I suspect he would be asking a two year minimum and the club that offers three will get him. I'd consider 2 years with a third year trigger of say 25 AFL goals.

58 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

Eddie kicked over a third of his goals against GC17 

He kicked six of his 37 in that match. 

Whereas our star forward saved the game against the Suns by kicking a point in the dying minutes. 

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Nothing wrong with what you've written, and it's a good case.

I take the view that this season and 2018 have seen Betts fall quickly from being an elite small forward to looking slow, going missing for long periods and possibly offered up or even delisted by the crows. Eddie kicked 29 from 18 in 2018 and 37 from 21 this year. Before that it was 55, 75 and 63.

Does he offer more than what we currently have? Maybe. But by that logic we should go for a raft of other old players past their prime (eg. Jenkins) because they've done more in 2019 than what we have now.

Jetta May be an option. Others have suggested Viney, as we have many inside mids. I don't rate Viney's field kicking, but believe him to be handy around goals. Lockard looks lively. Not sure about Bedford.

I just think Betts has at the very best one year left. He'd want a contract for 2, meaning that he'd be on a list at age 35!!!

If no other relevant trades came up (Butler, Elliot) I'd rather put games into Lockard and Viney as small forwards

If Betts took 1 year contract for $150k with incentives for 20 games or 40 goals, maybe. Can't see that happening.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Nothing wrong with what you've written, and it's a good case.

I take the view that this season and 2018 have seen Betts fall quickly from being an elite small forward to looking slow, going missing for long periods and possibly offered up or even delisted by the crows. Eddie kicked 29 from 18 in 2018 and 37 from 21 this year. Before that it was 55, 75 and 63.

Does he offer more than what we currently have? Maybe. But by that logic we should go for a raft of other old players past their prime (eg. Jenkins) because they've done more in 2019 than what we have now.

Jetta May be an option. Others have suggested Viney, as we have many inside mids. I don't rate Viney's field kicking, but believe him to be handy around goals. Lockard looks lively. Not sure about Bedford.

I just think Betts has at the very best one year left. He'd want a contract for 2, meaning that he'd be on a list at age 35!!!

If no other relevant trades came up (Butler, Elliot) I'd rather put games into Lockard and Viney as small forwards

If Betts took 1 year contract for $150k with incentives for 20 games or 40 goals, maybe. Can't see that happening.

Interesting. 

Do we rate Viney as a crumber? I must admit I draw a blank when I try to recall any “crumb-snap” goals of his (that could be due to a host of reasons that have nothing to do with Viney/AFL though). 

And I can’t say I’d ever feel too safe in the event of a set shot from him.

Lockhart is an interesting choice but if it’s gonna happen, they need to start priming him for such a role immediately, and they need to commit to it. The crumbing small forward role takes a lot of time to perfect. Not an easy role for a player to dip in and out of.

Jetta has the smarts, experience, and is as we know, hard as nails. Does he have the zip though?

3 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

I can't argue the fact that he performed better than any of our small forwards, or forwards in general, this season.  The above stat speaks for itself.  However:

Take the 12 goals he kicked against GC out and he kicked 25 for the year.  6 times last season he went goalless in a game, with four of those times against finals sides for this season.  He did kick 3 goals against the Lions, but his other two bags of three came against North and the Saints, both of which we know are out of the eight.  So, to me, the bloke has lost a bit of his 'magic' and his ability to hit the scoreboard consistently.  

As a club we need a long term solution to the small forward problem.  I don't see Eddie as it, and I think we need to get a little more creative with our picks and potential trades to fill that gap at the feet of our tall forwards.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I can't argue the fact that he performed better than any of our small forwards, or forwards in general, this season.  The above stat speaks for itself.  However:

Take the 12 goals he kicked against GC out and he kicked 25 for the year.  6 times last season he went goalless in a game, with four of those times against finals sides for this season.  He did kick 3 goals against the Lions, but his other two bags of three came against North and the Saints, both of which we know are out of the eight.  So, to me, the bloke has lost a bit of his 'magic' and his ability to hit the scoreboard consistently.  

As a club we need a long term solution to the small forward problem.  I don't see Eddie as it, and I think we need to get a little more creative with our picks and potential trades to fill that gap at the feet of our tall forwards.

Likewise, it’s hard to fault what you’ve laid out and it’s quite possible I’m pumping up EB’s tyres because he’s simply one of those kinda players. 

Curious to know who you’d nominate for such a role, should the trade period bear no small forward fruit. 

1 minute ago, Demonsone said:

Past his time .... we need long term solutions not band aids

Though I agree in principle and the logic there is faultless, part of me just wants to win a flag next year. I’ll also be fine if that’s it for the rest of my life  ?

1 minute ago, Mel Bourne said:

Though I agree in principle and the logic there is faultless, part of me just wants to win a flag next year. I’ll also be fine if that’s it for the rest of my life  ?

Betts not the difference of winning a flag... Look at the tigers who have 5-6 guns , reivolt, martin, gotchin, rance , Lynch, grimes, Rioli ... who are ours???

7 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Betts not the difference of winning a flag... Look at the tigers who have 5-6 guns , reivolt, martin, gotchin, rance , Lynch, grimes, Rioli ... who are ours???

Rioli? He’s not a gun, and Grimes is a reliable backmen who’s been hugely talked up by the media. That aside, I do agree with the principle of your post. Gawn? For sure. Oliver? Probably, but I question his effectiveness given how many times he gets the ball and fires off a quick handball. Consistent performers and performances is key and we don’t have that. Bett’s is in decline and his goal kicking tally was beefed up in performances against lowly teams, IMO given where we are, we should be sticking clear. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Rioli? He’s not a gun, and Grimes is a reliable backmen who’s been hugely talked up by the media. That aside, I do agree with the principle of your post. Gawn? For sure. Oliver? Probably, but I question his effectiveness given how many times he gets the ball and fires off a quick handball. Consistent performers and performances is key and we don’t have that. Bett’s is in decline and his goal kicking tally was beefed up in performances against lowly teams, IMO given where we are, we should be sticking clear. 

Ok you people have convinced me. 

Who will our small forward be though?

I’m not sure I could stomach watching another season of this club playing the game without such a key ingredient. 

58 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

Likewise, it’s hard to fault what you’ve laid out and it’s quite possible I’m pumping up EB’s tyres because he’s simply one of those kinda players. 

Curious to know who you’d nominate for such a role, should the trade period bear no small forward fruit. 

I'm not sure who I'd nominate.  From what we can gather there aren't exactly a heap on the market this off season, so I'd be looking at the state leagues (VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc) to see if we can unearth someone who can come in and fill a role.  I'd be looking for someone with some serious pace, though.  I think the players we've tried down there (Lockhart, Spargo, C Wagner etc) lack that 'spark' to play there and strike fear into their opponents.  We might have to get creative to do it.

21 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

I’m not sure I could stomach watching another season of this club playing the game without such a key ingredient. 

I think looking at the state leagues is the way to go. 

@Pennant St Dee might be able to nominate a couple from over here. Tyrone Thorne any good? 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I'm nitpicking but Grimes is now an AA. 

It's fair to say he's considered a gun as a medium/tall defender. 

He's taken his time. But he is incredible at what he does. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Me too Mel. It scares me that we have little to hang our hat on in terms of small crumbers, but it would scare me more if we opted for a 33 year old who is going down hill very fast. I'd rather have kept Jeffy for another year, and I didn't want that either!

4 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Apparently "popped his head into Melbourne Football Club" yesterday. Herald Sun reporting it and saying it was a catch up with a mate rather than an official facilities tour. Interesting choice of venue though.

Seems odd to catch up with a mate at the club at this time of yr especially knowing if u r seen what hysteria it would cause  

Wouldn’t u prefer to catch up outside of work. 

Anyway provided he doesn’t cost us much then go for it.