Training - Friday 18th January, 2013 @ Casey Fields

Whispering_Jack

With the opening bounce of the season (well ... NAB Cup anyway) just five weeks away, traing is starting to hot up.

That little three way NAB Cup opener might be a bit Mickey Mouse for many of us, it does present plenty of players to showcase their wares.

Who's going to be ready for the big day?

I went to Casey to watch training with my teenage daughter and son.

Trengove appeared, but did no running. His legs have lost a lot of condition, and I guess his left leg had the injury because Dom Barry's legs were bigger than it.

NIcho did some handball drills and then walked heaped of laps, finishing with some stationary kick to kick.

Dunn walked laps, and then was like a sidelines coach barking instructions during some drills

Clark did some handball drills but nothing else.

After an extensive warm up, one group of players left to go to a distant training track. Gawn, Magner, and a few midfielders whose names I forget.

The best thing about today was that almost every player was there. The only player I didn't see was Rohan Bail (edit: Jeremy Howe and Tynan also). This is the first time in a few seasons that we have had so many in full training. I can't wait for Clark, Trengove and Gawn to join in.

The main drill began at stoppages. Any time there was a spilled mark or poor kick the drill was stopped and Neil Craig - who led the session - would choose a spot on the ground to start again. Every player had a one-on-one opponent each time the play stopped. The backmen looked efficient and strong, and I was super impressed with Gillies. Very big, very strong at the ball and has good awareness. The midfielders were lively and aggressive. Jones and Blease were the standouts, Davey and Jetta not far behind. But the kicking into the forward 50 was atrocious. The first 7 times they conducted this drill the ball missed the forward target 6 times. It was a bit windy (when is Casey not?!?!) but the delivery was just plain poor. Frustrating to watch. Every other aspect of the drill was impressive. Cam Pederson attacks the ball fiercely in the air but did not complete one contested mark he went for.

Every 15 mins or so they would stop for a drink, and do 2 - 5 mins of in close tackling, picking moving ball up of the ground drill.

I was sitting goal end and saw the defense up close. Davis and Couch hardly hit a target by foot. Joel MacDonald was running hard and kicking well. The other backmen seemed impressed with his effort and efficiency. Jade Rawlings voice among the backs never let up. Always commenting, always feeding back. If needed, he got involved and would use his weight and nouse to ruffle a few feathers. It seemed to work wonders and fired them up at times.

Interesting to watch Jamar and Spencer ruck against each other. Spencer matched him for strength and positioning, but Jamar has a greater tap sense and won on maybe 2/3 of all contests. But around the ground Spencer ran well, often getting into attacking positions with Jamar trailing. I have a gut feeling he will overtake Jamar by the end of this year and could end up being our ruck duo with Gawn.

Aaron Davey was lively and aggressive. I can't believe I am typing this but his tackling was spot-on, both in close and on the run.

Jetta looks fit, quick, aware and strong around the footy.

Dawes leading was great - however on a few occasions his great leads were ignored.

One last thing that I really liked. At one stage Watts turned out of defence and delivered the ball poorly out to the back flank. Jetta gave him a brief spray, and Watts acknowledged it and took it.

I had to leave at 11am.

Cheers.

• Like 26

Great report.......as for Davey and Jetta, it is amazing what an injury free and full pre season can do for you....

as for the guys missing....had a chat with Nev Jetta early on about this.....he said everybody is on a specific program.....if guys in the past have had issues with certain injuries etc the program allows for days off, gym days, etc etc..to make sure their body is 'treated' correctly....

.and they are encouraged to report even the slightest niggle...maybe why Nicho was just walking laps

I am so pleased it looks like we only have 3 who are not in full training, off days included

• Like 1

If Davey can get back to anywhere near the player he was 3 years ago,it will be such a bonus for us.

So true.

At the moment Davey's a laughing stock to all opposition fans.

Hopefully he'll surprise.

As for Mitch Clark, hard to see him returning by round 1 if he's still not running.

In some ways I wish the club would just come out and rule him out for the first month, so not to get our hopes up.

I went today, windy blustery conditions out there at Casey. Thought the intensity from all players was really good and if they can use that intensity for most of the season they will win more than they lose. Rodan will be a plus for us loves to take the game on as does Shannon Byrnes. Davey was showing glimpses of his early days fingers crossed he can recover some of that form. Dawes looks to have trimmed down, once he gets into a bit of rhythm and Clark back he should be super for us.

I went today, windy blustery conditions out there at Casey. Thought the intensity from all players was really good and if they can use that intensity for most of the season they will win more than they lose. Rodan will be a plus for us loves to take the game on as does Shannon Byrnes. Davey was showing glimpses of his early days fingers crossed he can recover some of that form. Dawes looks to have trimmed down, once he gets into a bit of rhythm and Clark back he should be super for us.

I don't want to put a dampener on things about Rodan but this is a bloke who has failed to establish himself at two clubs and whilst he may be in our first picked midfield he wouldn't be in many in the AFL.

Davey is in the last year of his contract and when that last occurred he won the best and fairest. If he's capable he'll have a good year.

I don't want to put a dampener on things about Rodan but this is a bloke who has failed to establish himself at two clubs and whilst he may be in our first picked midfield he wouldn't be in many in the AFL.

Davey is in the last year of his contract and when that last occurred he won the best and fairest. If he's capable he'll have a good year.

I alway thought Rodan played pretty well...he always seemed to against us....Although I didn't watch to many PA games but the ones I did watch he was in their better players......I guess we will be able to form an opinion at years end...

Rodan at least plays with some much needed flair hardness and speed through the midfield. Something that we haven't had in a while. He is no Swan or Mitchell like but he offers something.

Gee Rodan a guy who has played 170 odd games and couldn't establish himself

When Davey won the best and fairest it was the last time he was injury free

You didn't dampen for me, I laughed

• Like 8

casey fields seems blighted by bad weather. wind affecting play, bad drainage etc

i thought it was supposed to be a sporting show piece

is anything being done about these things.......planting wind breaks, improving drainage etc?

To provide a proper wind break for Casey I think it would have to be about 1KM and about 150KM in circumfrence....it is flat as a tack down there...

• Like 1

I don't want to put a dampener on things about Rodan but this is a bloke who has failed to establish himself at two clubs

Garbage post.

Rodan is'nt a superstar, but he was well and truley an established player at port. He's just old and was no longer part of their plans

• Like 1

To provide a proper wind break for Casey I think it would have to be about 1KM and about 150KM in circumfrence....it is flat as a tack down there...

planted wind breaks on flat land have been used for millennia

wouldn't make it perfect but better than nothing

Edited by daisycutter

David Rodan > Cale Morton

• Like 2