Liam Jarrah in more trouble

Face Your Demons

We could say we were lucky that he reserved his majic moments for us. A shooting star if there ever was. No one quite like him before and perhaps never after. Was like a wet dream that could never come true. And we are the eternal dreamers.

This is probably the most positive post I've seen from you ADC.

Shocking shame about LJ. Mixed emotions every time I pull my "Air Jurrah" shirt out of the drawer by mistake. Could've been a once in a generation player, and in some respects even in his short career, he was. Can't see him coming back.

• Like 2

I think I heard Gerrard Healy say that Jurrah was a non drinker when discussing the incident in the Alice. Either Gerrard made a very rare mistake or something has really changed in Liam's life over the last 12 months which has resulted in the Alice Springs business and now this.

I don't condone his actions but as Ben said above I can't pretend to understand what he is going through. I feel for the guy and hope everything works out for him but with his community so divided it will almost take a miracle.

• Like 1

Poor Liam has got himself in more trouble, this time drink driving.

Such a talented footballer hope he gets his act together.

who cares, he plays for PA now and he will probably get a couple of years for the assault charge.

Quite amazed some of the things written here. But from my perspective moving closer to his family is the problem for him not the solution and I said so when he left. The pressure within the Aboriginal culture is huge to conform and be part of the tribe, which has been removed from Anglo-saxon society to a large degree. You must remember he is still young with responsibilities of an "elder".

Wish him all the best in finding the right path in life as I wish anyone.

As for footy, I think he wont be back at even state level, and he did not like the increased work loads and professionalism expected by Neeld and that was reported out of the misfud (whatever his name is) affair. Walking was the best thing for both parties at the time.

This might sound strange, but I really feel for the guy. He's the first player from his civilization, which is borderline ancient, to play AFL and he's tried to combine two alien worlds. He was lauded as a tribal leader on "men's business", but at the same time was beholden to his own tribal laws (moreso), which in part is why he's in the mess he's in, as laws such as payback for an initiated man mean much more than our "modern laws" and civil expectations. It's impossible to judge Jurrah from the cornerstone of the lives we lead.

It's too complex for me, but I feel compelled not to judge a guy whose world has caved in around him. And as much as most will lay the blame at his feet, he's in unusual circumstances and much of it has been out of his control. I expect arguments on the last sentence and I'm usually the first to state that every man is the architect of his own destiny, but I readily accept that Jurrah's circumstances can't be understood by 99% of those reading this forum.

Talking complete sense, as usual.

who cares, he plays for PA now and he will probably get a couple of years for the assault charge.

Does he play for PA? Thought he was playing SANFL

No sympathy for him though. The only positive to come out of this is that we arent dragged through another disaster.

Hoping he gets his act together and gets back to AFL at some stage.

I think we need to look at this from a different view. Lets take our "Demon" goggles off for a sec.

Here is a 24 year old kid.

He's potentially looking at a jail term.

He's essentially unemployed.

He's obviously going through a tough time.

He seems from the outside a bit lost.

Its very easy for us to feel the aggrieved now that he is no longer a Dee, but lets wish him the best and hope he gets the guidance and support he needs as a young man to live a good life.

Lets show some compassion for a fellow person who is in a tough situation.

• Like 3

I just read in the Hun and Advertiser:

" Jurrah's grandmother said that the drink-driving matter was an issue for Jurrah and his family to sort out among themselves. "It's between Liam and his family ... no one else's business," she said. "We're sorting it out as a family. He's OK." "

If Jurrah's family member(s) really think his risking innocent lives [driving 5 times over alcohol limit (not the machete)] is no-ones business but theirs, that's very selfish, dangerous thinking! .and someones "culture" shouldn't be used as an excuse for that.

I see it this way.....

While on the field for the demons, Liam gave his all for the club. Wasn't the hardest player, but was passionate and put his neck on the line every time he launched himself at one of those marks. He did things that 99.95% of players in history could not do (that goal over his head from 45m was physically impossible).Outside of football, he lived in a world completely differant to ours. Differant laws, responsibilities and commitments.

Now he is a young man, who has made some horrible decisions (drink driving) and some decisions we will never understand. Really hope he can turn his life around, but like so many others in his environment, there either isn't the assistance or guidance to flourish, or the pressures all around him may be too persuasive. All the best Lj, thanks for the memories.

I think I heard Gerrard Healy say that Jurrah was a non drinker when discussing the incident in the Alice. Either Gerrard made a very rare mistake or something has really changed in Liam's life over the last 12 months which has resulted in the Alice Springs business and now this.

I don't condone his actions but as Ben said above I can't pretend to understand what he is going through. I feel for the guy and hope everything works out for him but with his community so divided it will almost take a miracle.

You are right rjay. Liam was one of the few non-drinkers from the region.

I just read in the Hun and Advertiser:

" Jurrah's grandmother said that the drink-driving matter was an issue for Jurrah and his family to sort out among themselves. "It's between Liam and his family ... no one else's business," she said. "We're sorting it out as a family. He's OK." "

If Jurrah's family member(s) really think his risking innocent lives [driving 5 times over alcohol limit (not the machete)] is no-ones business but theirs, that's very selfish, dangerous thinking! .and someones "culture" shouldn't be used as an excuse for that.

I get the feeling that she probably meant that the personal side of the issue is for the family to sort out and that the press and other "outsiders" should stay out of it (not interfere)... I would think she understands that the legal issues will have to be dealt with in the courts.

Hmmm alot of excuses. I never saw people justifying Ben Cousins drug addiction, and further the line that I can't understand what he is going through is one of the biggest cop outs in life itself.

Liam is a Australian person with regular problems, he also had a perfectly regular life until he turned his back on Melbourne and the AFL and was allegedly potentially involved in a stabbing. Too many 'excuses' are given for this human and it's bloody bloody lucky he didn't kill or injure someone. Yes there are facets of Aboriginal life that are different, but this sweeping under the rug due to 'non-native' "not understanding" what they have to go through is BS. People lose loved ones and have [censored] days, weeks, years and don't commit crimes.. There is no excuse for driving .27 and that is all it comes down too.

• Like 2

I wonder how many people on this board who use the 'culture has nothing to do with it' line have actually lived in a different culture themselves beyond vacationing in it?

Ben-Hur, on 16 Jan 2013 - 22:52, said:snapback.png

This might sound strange, but I really feel for the guy. He's the first player from his civilization, which is borderline ancient, to play AFL and he's tried to combine two alien worlds. He was lauded as a tribal leader on "men's business", but at the same time was beholden to his own tribal laws (moreso), which in part is why he's in the mess he's in, as laws such as payback for an initiated man mean much more than our "modern laws" and civil expectations. It's impossible to judge Jurrah from the cornerstone of the lives we lead.

It's too complex for me, but I feel compelled not to judge a guy whose world has caved in around him. And as much as most will lay the blame at his feet, he's in unusual circumstances and much of it has been out of his control. I expect arguments on the last sentence and I'm usually the first to state that every man is the architect of his own destiny, but I readily accept that Jurrah's circumstances can't be understood by 99% of those reading this forum.

I find I don't agree with BH much, but I think he has got this right. Some posters seem to imply that saying the above sort of thing is somehow lessening or excusing the seriousness of the alleged cimes. That does not follow. And some complain no one defended Ben Cousins. Perhaps that was because he was part of the mainstream culture and had no 'excuses' (that we could be guess at at least).

Spot on. I feel for the guy aswell. Had a look over at his facebok and you can tell the bloke is battling depression even saying he wants to do something silly to himself.

Good to see blokes like beamer and Aaron Davey reaching out to him still though. just hope he gets his life back in order.

I think we need to look at this from a different view. Lets take our "Demon" goggles off for a sec.

Here is a 24 year old kid.

He's potentially looking at a jail term.

He's essentially unemployed.

He's obviously going through a tough time.

He seems from the outside a bit lost.

Its very easy for us to feel the aggrieved now that he is no longer a Dee, but lets wish him the best and hope he gets the guidance and support he needs as a young man to live a good life.

Lets show some compassion for a fellow person who is in a tough situation.

Hes 24, not 18... cant call him a kid.

His fall from grace is very sad - glad that he has gone from the club though (we dont need the attention).. I wonder how much his family has contributed to his downward spiral? I also wonder if Caro and [censored] will try and place the blame onto Melbourne somehow?

I wonder how many people on this board who use the 'culture has nothing to do with it' line have actually lived in a different culture themselves beyond vacationing in it?

yeah I have, and I also went around committing all sorts of crimes and screwing over the people who were helping me

yeah I have, and I also went around committing all sorts of crimes and screwing over the people who were helping me

You have some perspective then. Since you have had that perspective then and a bit of life experience, you hopefully realize that the world is made up of shades of grey and there are few absolutes in life.

A couple of other questions I might ask are: have you ever been in a situation where you were the meat in the sandwich between two communities that want each others blood? The second question would be what other culture did you live in?

And to think we could have drafted Tom Rockliff. Probably a 200 game player.

• Like 1

You have some perspective then. Since you have had that perspective then and a bit of life experience, you hopefully realize that the world is made up of shades of grey and there are few absolutes in life.

A couple of other questions I might ask are: have you ever been in a situation where you were the meat in the sandwich between two communities that want each others blood? The second question would be what other culture did you live in?

Colin drink driving x5 times the limit is what it is.

It is just not on. He has had how many chances?