Dayle Garlett

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Frankly, I trust my instincts, along with the draft observers who were saying that he will be drafted in the top 20 and many said he will be drafted in the top 10.

Just watch him. How can you not be dazzled. The guy is a prodigy.

As far as being soft, it is usual for skillful rovers to be a bit timid when enetering senior football. His body looks like it will bulk out, and don't expect him to stay timid for long.

Gut running comes with dicipline.

Joel McDonal or Dayle Garlett?

Who would you pick?

Serious no-brainer!

Me too mate, and they say stay clear and I will trade you your draft observers who more often than not go on second hand information and may or may not have seen him in the flesh for 2 dee supporters that have and 18 clubs.

As for timid rovers if there is such a position in football anymore, Jack Viney says Hi!

Yes-he had a smoke-career over at 18.

Whoever lands him get a gift.

He was the most talented kid in the draft, just because all sides overlooked him - his perceived value has dropped.

They talk about culture, half of North Melbourne were chronic drug users during the 90's and they still maintained success.

The popular belief that culture is paramount is just a phase - and Garlett has copped the brunt.

Theres always room for talent, especially rare talent.

Harley Bennell was no saint prior to GC drafting him, yet he has adapted to the rigours of AFL quite nicely.

There have been far worse players than Garlett over the years and they have had successful AFL careers.

It's a shame that we don't have a PSD pick, I hope we delist one of the many spuds taking up our list and take Garlett.

Yes, damn those hard working, dedicated spuds!

We were still a bottom 3 side this year and given 2 of those below us are expansion sides,

that pretty much means we were the worst side to play football in 2012.

Whilst we have cleaned out a lot of players - there is always room for talent, especially given that we LACK talent on our list,

it is a need that could be quite easily filled here, Garlett is a perfect fit and would top off our recruitment for the year.

The popular belief that culture is paramount is just a phase

"Culture" is being 100% dedicated, 100% professional, 100% team-oriented and 100% hard at it on-field.

You can't do that if you smoke, drink, party, take drugs or treat the world as your oyster. The days of the bad-boy players are over. "Culture" is here to stay.

I'd also dispute we lack talent. What we have lacked is exactly that ... "culture".

I was initially inclined to take a risk on Garlett, but have come around to the view that it would be a wasted pick at the moment. If the kid likes to party more than he like to prepare professionally for his footy, knowing the eyes of the footy world would be on him in the lead up to the draft, he's either super arrogant or stupid, or both.

Both of these character flaws, once revealed to his suitors (the club's recruitment teams), require a period demonstrating humility and smarts in the WAFL, VFL, etc... prior to him being able to claim he's "reformed" his character and is ready for the big league.

Unfortunately for Dayle the days where talented player could get through largely on talent are past. Clubs invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in pay and development effort in developing an AFL player. Melbourne has performed badly in this area recently, having lost our investments in Morton, Gysberts, Wonna, Jarrah, etc... over the past couple of years. In retrospect, all these players lacked one (or more) aspect of the "four pillars" that the club is now espousing as the criteria to be recuited by the MFC. I like this approach and if it means we pass on "Party Boy" Garlett then, well done us.

• Like 3

Yeah, you should bring it up at the AGM!

Utter disgrace if we overlook this troubled teenager with a history of application issues.

I mean, he was only photographed once under the influence of narcotics.

I am sure that was the only time he took drugs.

And the AFL will straighten him out. No-one takes recreational drugs in the AFL.

And the final thing is we have a Leadership Group that is young and needs all the help they can get - what better experience than to throw this wayward teen at them while they are training hard to make the Dees relevant again.

It's a real no-brainer, you know, when you think about it...

This post sums it up perfectly. In a club that has been rocked by scandals and false inuendo over the past 24 months, do you really think we would take a punt on a kid who is immature enough to post photos of himself in compromising situations clearly without thought of the consequences. Says alot about his character at this point in time. That's not to say he won't grow up and actually start getting his priorities straight - then he'd be worth a punt!

Edited by Frenzy Mckenzie
  • Like 1

This post sums it up perfectly. In a club that has been rocked by scandals and false inuendo over the past 24 months, do you really think we would take a punt on a kid who is immature enough to post photos of himself in compromising situations clearly without thought of the consequences. Says alot about his character at this point in time. That's not to say he won't grow up and actually start getting his priorities straight - then he'd be worth a punt!

It would be nice to think that our club was mature enough and developed enough with a culture strong enough to allow us to confidently introduce, educate (develop) and support recruits whatever their situation

Maybe we are not there yet but we are recognising many features of our progress

I always said at organisations I worked for that managers were not employed to manage the easy things. Unfortunately MFC seems to have many difficult things in the reality bus and we may not need another passenger. I will be happy when the driver recognises that we have plenty of room for those things that will help us get to our destination.

• Like 1

The most worrying part is in other photos he's drinking UDL's... what kind of man drinks UDL's?!?!

Plenty of 18year old men have drank UDL's before... when he displays photo's of the crack pipe(if he has one) we should be concerned.

Needs to get out of WA and prove himself if he is really serious. I hope he does.

As for those worried about Essendon getting a bargain, the price wasn't right.

Indeed. Players cost more than just their draft pick number; getting Garlett would not have been "cheap" even if they'd taken him with their last pick in the rookie draft. We took Liam Jurrah in the PSD, does anyone think that came cheaply?

Increasingly we'll see players with obviously poor attitude and/or behavior get overlooked. Personally I wouldn't even bother looking at this guy again until his mid 20s. It wouldn't surprise me if he can get temporarily get himself together for a year and convince everyone he's changed, but I'd want at *least* three years of solid, mature behavior before I even had a look.

• Like 1