Training - Friday 23rd November, 2012 @ Casey Fields

jnrmac

It was a near perfect morning for training. Having read the previous reports / posts on today's training it has been summed up perfectly.

I will reflect back for those that never get a chance to see them training in the flesh.

Going back to the Bailey era, the drills were a bit hit and miss back then. They always seemed to me, as it was the same ol, same ol, with not much thought with structures, drills and fitness. It mostly was all about reflexes - handballing in close. Lacked direction somewhat.

Come last pre-season, the step up was enormous, the players were being flogged, with more considered and thoughtout training drills. It came across as they were building up their stamina,and 90% of the players were really struggling. I almost felt sorry for them.

This session, a big change again from last pre-season, from my point of view. They have the players primed to take the next step up into more structured and intense sessions. Players that looked like slowing down, were told clearly and loudly not to drop off, and do the drill perfectly.

Encouragement was given constantly to press that home. And most time the players were doing it right. They kept encouraging each other to go harder or at least keep to the level required. You can be sure, on the track, the players are giving everything they have.

Its pretty full on, whether it was the repeat spints (100mtr x 3) short break for a min then another 100mtr x 3. Then that group moved on to another drill. No break. Went straight into, leading and hitting a running player with 30mtr passing to handballing to a running player.

Lots more running, its non stop. All this over 30-40mins before they had a breather.

I can add, MY (our) favorite player, No 12 has a slight injury and they are easing him through it. My thought was, 'yeah, whats new, he always seems to find an out, whether a fault of his own, or a mishap from elsewhere'. I was told, fairly bluntly, he is well aware of the need to be involved, and nobody knows better than himself. It was also added, after I dropped a subtle hint, he needs to step up, and was told Col is well aware of that, and wants to show he can perform better so perhaps a new Col this year. (if he completes all the drills, instead of being an onloooker)

Pickles said he will be ready soon, He should be right to go for the third practice match. He had learnt a hard lesson, by coming back too soon.

He is raring to go, is back on track, and looks like his probelms are behind him (lets hope).

Thanks for the great report. Excuse my ignorance....who is Pickles? is it Clark?

Thanks for the great report. Excuse my ignorance....who is Pickles? is it Clark?

Michael Evans

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who goes to training and writes up these fantastic reports. Great for those of us who can't get down there to see how the boys are going.

Agreed. I wish I had time to get out to some of these sessions and compare to what I saw under Bailey. It's great to get this sort of news and detailed descriptions of what they guys are up to.

Thanks so much to everyone for the reports. One of my favourite things this time of year. Can't wait to get to some training sessions myself. Also, noticed Dunn rucking against Spencer in the photos on the club site. Does anyone know if this is a new role for him? HBF pinch hitting in the ruck would be a new one.

I will join you in that - hearty thanks guys.

I

Thanks so much to everyone for the reports. One of my favourite things this time of year. Can't wait to get to some training sessions myself. Also, noticed Dunn rucking against Spencer in the photos on the club site. Does anyone know if this is a new role for him? HBF pinch hitting in the ruck would be a new one.

He wasn't rucking against spence yesterday, they were working on body positioning in marking contests. Practicing working your man under the ball without pushing in the back.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to get there as I had a day off work. But I drove for 2 hours to get to Casey. I'm sure the players would love more supporters at training...only about 15 ish there on Friday. If ya haven't been I recommend it greatly as the chance to see the guys up close and how hard they actually train is a great experience.

I too went to training. I cant really add to much more to what the players actually did it training, but I can say that I was impressed with the skill level, the effort put in and the proffessionalism of the training session.

Having watched many sessions over the years as well as coaching my own football team, i make a point of watching not only how they train, but what they do.

The difference between our sessions now and in previous years are (in my opinion):

* there are obviously more coaches, so they can spend more time teaching specifics, such as the big blokes doing body work while the mids do crumbing under pressure. Nothing better than being able to spend more time with individuals and being able to give direct instructions.

* it does not matter how long the players have been playing AFL, they can always learn more. There is always room for improvement, especially how we have been going.

* the drills look to have a real purpose and you can see how they uild from the simple stuff to full ground movement.

* the skills have improved, especially under pressure and lethargy.

* you can see the enjoyment and hear the voice from the players when they train, it was the loudest I have ever heard them at training yesterday.

* you can see the improvement in individuals, both fitness and skills wise.

Personally I can see what the coaching staff is trying to do, they are going through a system of develpoment and teaching, it may take a couple more years to show on the ground consistently, but I have faith they are doing the right thing.

• Like 7

When I arrived the players were split into groups. Russian and Pedo were doing marking contests, Dunne, Spencer and Fitz doing the same. Spencer is enormous and packing a ripped six pack. Surprising. Dunne was working with the forwards. Rawlings was giving plenty of feed back on technique to avoid hands in the back.

Another large group where doing kick to kick with tennis balls and soccer balls.

Smaller group doing contested handball drill, receiving ball on the ground and getting hit by a bag. Blease was copping plenty from Neil Craig and made to repeat some of his efforts. Byrnes was real sharp and Craig was loving it. Flash was very clean, I still have hope even though he can't straighten his left leg. He lifts the whole group just being out there, they love him.

Rodan, Jones, Tappy and Howe were having set shots.

The groups then joined up, doing a full ground drill moving the ball from back pocket to full forward, with each section being filmed. Jmac cannot kick, full stop! Jamar looked great, swinging onto his left on the wing and hitting up forwards! Tappy played in the forward line. Strauss was criticized for his disposal into forward line. Rodan was really sharp across the wing, looking forward to him hitting up our talls this year.

If Flash can't get his leg right & fitness up, with our current rookies, I wonder if he may call it quits mid season?

If Flash can't get his leg right & fitness up, with our current rookies, I wonder if he may call it quits mid season?

if he was going to bail mid year (i swear the pun was unintentional), i would rather he goes now...

Development is so much about pre seasons nowadays and the more time a kid has on a misson program the better

if he was going to bail mid year (i swear the pun was unintentional), i would rather he goes now...

Development is so much about pre seasons nowadays and the more time a kid has on a misson program the better

I know but word was he wasn't right with his leg halfway thru this year. He's contracted til the end of 2013, but is well liked.

I guess that like Bartram, trying to overcome physical issues with mew medical science.

Time will tell, sadly I think, this will be Flashes last season.

When u see him out on the track u see how much the others get around him and the enthusiasm goes up. Hopefully he can get his rig in good enough nick to play a part in the squad this year and help develop our younger players. We've had to many negative experiences with our ageing players in the last few years, would be good to have someone as popular as davey make a smooth respectful exit.

If he doesn't have speed or fitness he's in trouble though. I hope he can get his pace up and then play deep forward and if we can actually compete in games he'd be a chance to contribute. If we are losing and he can't run then he's not worth playing.

I saw him at training on Friday and he just doesn't seem to be able to run fluently. No zip and of course we know he has poor endurance. He seems to be just hanging in. Hate to see him go but looks gawn at the moment.

If there was somebody the club wanted in the PSD I would seriously consider paying him out and offer him a position at the Club for the 12 months.

• Like 1

I saw him at training on Friday and he just doesn't seem to be able to run fluently. No zip and of course we know he has poor endurance. He seems to be just hanging in. Hate to see him go but looks gawn at the moment.

If there was somebody the club wanted in the PSD I would seriously consider paying him out and offer him a position at the Club for the 12 months.

If we are honest he looked gone on 2011.

• Like 1

I think I heard somewhere that Toumpas was coming to Melbourne on Monday, so I assume he'll be at training by Wednesday. Not sure about the others.

Think Kent will be heading over next week and from what I have been told he was struggling at his first session back with Perth, so he may struggle for a while. Having said that I have also been told he has never been trained properly (comes from Northan hometown for Leon Davis and Darren Glass) but is the type of kid with a build which will flourish under a professional regime and should get fit pretty quickly.

On what I seen at colts level he is a decent size for a kid and a nice bit of acceleration. Let's hope Misson gets him up and going this kid could be another Woey with the left foot he has, but a lot of work to be done in the meantime.

• Like 1

it does not matter how long the players have been playing AFL, they can always learn more.

That's a really good call.

I was lucky enough to hear Adrian Fletcher talking about stoppages over the weekend. He used Simon Black as an example of an elite player who still had things to learn. With the changes to the game even Simon Black can't last a whole game in the midfield so over the past couple of seasons the Lions have been playing him up forward rather than resting him on the bench. The coaching staff found (not unpredictably) that Black would be drawn out of position and into the contest. This was obviously an issue because the opposition would have an extra number behind the ball and be able to attack from half back with lots of space to run into. And as we know quick ball movement and long kicking into the forward 50 is what forwards love. Apparently Black has found this a really difficult lesson to learn.

Edited by Goodvibes