• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Poll - Wines or Toumpas

tonatopia

Wines or Toumpas  

301 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Let's just leave it at that.

All we need is bloody Caroline Wilson spreading this across the Age the morning of the draft.

You mean a quality journo like Caro would stoop to trolling a supporter forum looking to beat up a rumour posted by an anonymous fan? Surely not!!

The Dees and GWS came to - shall we say - an 'arrangement'.

"arrangement ? did I say arrangement ? I meant flower arrangement...I meant derangement...it was tongue in cheek..it really was tongue in cheek" - Chris Connolly circa 2012

Our team is desperate for class in the midfield, our team is desperate for good kicks to compete with the Hawthorn's of this world, our team is desperate for pace, our team is desperate for players that work hard and spread, yet some on here don't want Toumpas ?

FMD.

• Like 7

I'd take Wines for his inside midfield grunt and NO go home factor.

Toumpas in his own words on Youtube yesterday,is an outside mid,albeit classy and is a good finisher.

So we'd have 2 JT/SA captains on a wing each when we need as much hard,tough,midfield grunt as we can get.

Pick 4 better be Ollie Wines.

But this will be very interesting as our recruiters didn't expect Toumpas to be available thinking it would be Whitfield,Brody,Toumpas. and we'd take Wines.

We went through this exact scenario 3 years ago in deciding between a claasy outside SA mid (Trengove) and a hard,tough inside stay at home mid in Martin,

I'd take a hard,tough inside stay home mid over a classy outside go home factor mid anyday of the week.

Well I find that hard to believe with the fact that we never even considered drafting Martin as we never interviewed him and that Trengove and Scully were always going to be pick one and two.

Lets be honest here folks - Neeld has said and I have heard from people associated with the club that they have been hoping to replace the speedie hole that Tom Scully left in our midfield when he did the unspeakable. However on the other hand, Neeld's view is that the number 1 thing he wants is a fierce competitor - no softies with talent or skinny kids that look great against kids, which tends to lean me towards Wines.

If as another poster here suggests Toumpas has proven his metal against men then he is as good a demon. Its that simple. And add to that his great disposal which ticks another massive hole in our list and its pretty simple.

I love Wines - he looks like a scary prospect and I think the club would have loved his competitiveness, but remember we have and have had a lot of mean inside midfielders but I cant really remember the last time we had a mid who could run, spread and dispose accurately with any great class. This year we had NO spread. None...

Toumpas has a little bit of Trav Johnstone about him so I want to be sure the club is sure he has the fierce Neeld-style competitive fire or Id go for Wines, but otherwise its a done deal for mine.

If Toumpas is gone however then Wines it is without a doubt.

Guest José Mourinho

Well I find that hard to believe with the fact that we never even considered drafting Martin as we never interviewed him and that Trengove and Scully were always going to be pick one and two.

I haven't a bloody clue what a "stay at home mid" is either.

I voted Toumpas purely because I like saying the word "toumpas"

Toumpas...Toumpas...

I've got a sore toumpas.

I got kicked in the toumpas and it hurt like hades.

I dont give a flying toumpas.

Fun to say and versatile.

Toumpas Toumpas stick it up your jumpers.

Can see it becoming like Yze whenever he gets near the ball - Ooze. Instead it will be Toooooooooompas

Toumpas has a little bit of Trav Johnstone about him so I want to be sure the club is sure he has the fierce Neeld-style competitive fire or Id go for Wines, but otherwise its a done deal for mine.

No Trav about Toumpas, he is dedicated to his football and demands the best from himself. If only Trav had done the same.

Was Toumpas the guy who trained on xmas day last year because he knew that other aspiring players his age weren't going to be doing that so it meant he got the slightest edge over them?

Was Toumpas the guy who trained on xmas day last year because he knew that other aspiring players his age weren't going to be doing that so it meant he got the slightest edge over them?

Yes. He is super dedicated.

Thats my problem with Toumpas, we just don't want 'soft'

These kind of posts make my brain hurt. Why do so many people automatically equate "class" with "soft"? I've not heard or seen a single thing to indicate that Toumpas is soft.

I suppose it's the same logic that leads people to believe "inside" automatically equals "plodder".

• Like 6

These kind of posts make my brain hurt. Why do so many people automatically equate "class" with "soft"? I've not heard or seen a single thing to indicate that Toumpas is soft.

I suppose it's the same logic that leads people to believe "inside" automatically equals "plodder".

Oooh, I love this post.

I know we are all just 'lightweights' Nasher, but we have big brain muscles that make the Internet burst with knowledge.

Said a similar thing a few weeks ago. People like to see things in black and white because it is easier to process.

Is toumpas solely an outside player or does he get his fair share of tough inside footy? This is the only query i have about him and why i'm unsure as to whether we should take him instead of wines. If he does both well then i'm all for us getting him as he adds a bit of class, but if he largely relies on others getting the ball to him it would be far easier imo for him to be tagged out of games.

Is toumpas solely an outside player or does he get his fair share of tough inside footy? This is the only query i have about him and why i'm unsure as to whether we should take him instead of wines. If he does both well then i'm all for us getting him as he adds a bit of class, but if he largely relies on others getting the ball to him it would be far easier imo for him to be tagged out of games.

I am amazed by this "solely an outside player" talk. It's quite simple, regardless of if you are an outside mid, inside mid, half back flanker, forward pocket, if the ball is there to be won, you go and win it, regardless of your position. You don't day to yourself "oh, I'm an outside mid so I don't have to get the ball, it will come to me". I don't know any player that doesn't go and get thier own ball when it's their time, and yes, I have watched Morton and Watts before.

If they can't get their own ball, they don't make it to U18 TAC Cup or National Championships, simple.

If he's there, we pick Toumpas.

I am amazed by this "solely an outside player" talk. It's quite simple, regardless of if you are an outside mid, inside mid, half back flanker, forward pocket, if the ball is there to be won, you go and win it, regardless of your position. You don't day to yourself "oh, I'm an outside mid so I don't have to get the ball, it will come to me". I don't know any player that doesn't go and get thier own ball when it's their time, and yes, I have watched Morton and Watts before.

If they can't get their own ball, they don't make it to U18 TAC Cup or National Championships, simple.

If he's there, we pick Toumpas.

Well to varying degrees. Morton excelled at that level because of his superior endurance & height. He was able to get a lot of the ball at that level because of those attributes. It didn't quite translate for him at AFL unless he was playing an outside style of game. But I mostly agree with you.