The Simon Buckley Thread

Northern Summer

Get the feeling this won't be the most popular of threads, but seeing Collingwood are going to delist him, I reckon we should try to get him back with a late selection in the draft. Won't cost us anything, and he showed right up until he became injured that he's a decent ball magnet. Disposal a bit iffy but with another hard preseason i'm sure that can be improved. He definitely would fit into our best 22, no doubt about that, and he's at that perfect age bracket for our list.

• Like 2

Get the feeling this won't be the most popular of threads, but seeing Collingwood are going to delist him, I reckon we should try to get him back with a late selection in the draft. Won't cost us anything, and he showed right up until he became injured that he's a decent ball magnet. Disposal a bit iffy but with another hard preseason i'm sure that can be improved. He definitely would fit into our best 22, no doubt about that, and he's at that perfect age bracket for our list.

Mich,

get serious. nice thought for Buckley but melbourne are moving on now. common matey think about it

haha the man that got cheered when subbed off for the pies... yeah why not. make a play for Kyle Cheney as well... LOL

I always had time for the ginger ninja... I wonder what Chris Johnson is up to these day, ha. Perhaps we could get a reunion happening.

multiple answer time on this one - there is an old saying that 'you can never go home again' meaning in this case he left the club and now he may have to move even further, shame in a way as I thought he showed potentail, most of his games this season were good - played a couple of bad ones mid-season I think. he is aware of them and fought hard to get back, I take that as a plus.

if could still be taking a chance to take him back on the list, while he played 13 games each season he was with the pies, sill more than the three years he was with us.

I have seen/heard nothing on his future, would I be right in assuming we are all just guessing at the moment.

if I was to be looking at bringing any one back at this stage it would be

Purely as a matter of logic, has it occurred to anyone that Cheney was an emergency for a Grand Final side, but he wasn't good enough for MFC who finished where? Buckley, likewise, wasn't good enough for MFC, but he got games with a club much higher up the ladder. No, I'm not advocating trying to get either back to MFC, just questioning how players are developed at different clubs.

• Like 3

Purely as a matter of logic, has it occurred to anyone that Cheney was an emergency for a Grand Final side, but he wasn't good enough for MFC who finished where? Buckley, likewise, wasn't good enough for MFC, but he got games with a club much higher up the ladder. No, I'm not advocating trying to get either back to MFC, just questioning how players are developed at different clubs.

Both of these players have fought for spots during their times at the mentioned clubs. Being an emergency for a Granny still suggests you're outside the best 22 just as he was at the MFC.

We let both these blokes go because they couldn't make the grade. Now Hawthorn and Collingwood are following suit but you're saying they've been developed better by these clubs?

I think it was good of them to try.

• Like 1

As long as he comes with a cassette of Benny Hill music so that it lightens the mood every time he gets the ball and runs around like a headless chook before kicking it to the opposition.

i am not advocating his return, but must point out that when he was with us playing at half back there was absolutely no structure and just about anyone would, as you put it, run around like a headless chook in that position.

Nah man, he was a spud.

he has been around a little while and hasnt done much.

I was surprised the pies grabbed him to be honest,

much the same with cheney, why hawthorn picked him up beats me.

They also pieced up that mechano set of a ruckmen that we had for too long... his name escapes me.

But but... Jace Bode, and Dan Hughes.

and of course the much maligned (and played out of position) Brent Grgic

I'd take him back providing he worked hard. I liked him in 08 and i think his injury in 09 was a big part of why he left. We need a running half back and id rather use a pick on him than someone who is never in contention to get a game. I thought he was pretty good at collingwood, maybe his off-field incidents are a factor