FAREWELL LIAM JURRAH

DemonDave

What an end of a horrific season we have all had to go through as Demon Supporters.

I Guess it can only get better from here.

There's still the tanking decision to come yet !

Yeah, Im hoping that will get swept under the rug like it did with calton.

As it should but if anyone is to be screwed it always seems to be us

• 1 month later...

Reported that Port Adelaide are considering rookie listing Liam for next season.

Isnt he still on our list?

I suppose this news is relevant because it comes from Hinkleys mouthe that he wants to rookie Jurrah.

Would we recieve any compensation?

Reported that Port Adelaide are considering rookie listing Liam for next season.

Hope they do and that everything works out for Liam on and off the field.

We took a high risk-high reward gamble and gave it our best shot - I'm very glad we did but by definition they won't all pay off.

• Like 3

Part of me does wish him luck but the other half doesn't want to see him succeed don't know if I could handle seeing Jurrah at another club

Good luck to him if it comes off. Unfortunately i doubt it will as he will be coming from a very long way back - and that's assuming he isn't incarcerated. Adelaide would be a much better town for LJ, given how much closer it is to his community, the fact that he has family there and also i guess because its much smaller.

I'd rather see him play for Port (or Adelaide) then never get to see him play AFL again Footy doesn't have enough players like LJ - ie ones who can weave magic and make you gasp.

• Like 3

snapback.pngjnrmac, on 04 September 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Really?? So we help a guy from a remote community fulfill a dream to play AFL. We support him endlessly and go out of our way to accommodate his cultural needs. We support him through injury and a major court trial AND THEN the guy spits in our face and drops a bombshell on us without a consideration that we might get a trade for him or a draft pick somewhere.

And you don't understand why people are upset??

Sean Charles, Wonna, Lawrence and now Jurrah have all walked out on the club. You can't understand why people don't connect the dots??

You're not really trying very hard are you.

So? What are the dots?

Exactly !!!!

What r the dots ? lets condemn these sought of comments."remote community" ?? So we did do Liam Jurrah a favour because he was stuck in some remote community as you put it?? What's your point here Jnr Mac? And what do you mean "join the dots"??

For me Liam Jurrah made the prospect of watching Melbourne play "exciting". He's left now for his own reasons. Gave me lots of joy and owes me and MFC nothing. On the contrary we all owe him!!

A story to share.

Melbourne V Richmond some two-three years ago at the G. Jurrah got onto a loose ball outside 50, sold a dummy, broke a tackle, had a bounce, exhausted without any assistance from teammates broke free to have a dribbly shot on goal from around 45 Metres. Big moment in the match. A goal would of turned the game. Result?? A point. Clear of all the opposition through his own skill and shooting from 45 Jurrah was unable to convert a straight shot with no one between himself and the goals.

Northern members area around gate 51 close the fence the Melbourne "supporter" behiind me yells........"next time take your boots off Jurrah". Still often think about this and the sad implication of the comment by a grown up but highly ignorant "demon". Will spell out the implication for the likes of "jnr mac" who obviously struggles with the whole reconciliation concept. (Being an indigenous footballer he will probably kick better without boots) The sad thing here is the "supporter" actually believes and stood by what he said. This was learnt after I Q him on the direct slur against our Liam Jurrah. He believed that Indigenous footballers choice was to play in bare feet. He didn't quite get the concept that when Liam and kids similar to Liam indeed loved to wear boots but could rarely (as kids) afford the luxury. In closing you don't have to be indigenous to be offended by racism or border line racist comment.

Wow. I'd be pretty disappointed in the AFL system if a player can just walk out on his club and go straight to the club of his choosing without any compensation, warning or fair trade.

He'd have to nominate for the draft of course Chook. Players have always been allowed to quit their club and chance the draft.

snapback.pngjnrmac, on 04 September 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Really?? So we help a guy from a remote community fulfill a dream to play AFL. We support him endlessly and go out of our way to accommodate his cultural needs. We support him through injury and a major court trial AND THEN the guy spits in our face and drops a bombshell on us without a consideration that we might get a trade for him or a draft pick somewhere.

And you don't understand why people are upset??

Sean Charles, Wonna, Lawrence and now Jurrah have all walked out on the club. You can't understand why people don't connect the dots??

You're not really trying very hard are you.

So? What are the dots?

Exactly !!!!

What r the dots ? lets condemn these sought of comments."remote community" ?? So we did do Liam Jurrah a favour because he was stuck in some remote community as you put it?? What's your point here Jnr Mac? And what do you mean "join the dots"??

For me Liam Jurrah made the prospect of watching Melbourne play "exciting". He's left now for his own reasons. Gave me lots of joy and owes me and MFC nothing. On the contrary we all owe him!!

A story to share.

Melbourne V Richmond some two-three years ago at the G. Jurrah got onto a loose ball outside 50, sold a dummy, broke a tackle, had a bounce, exhausted without any assistance from teammates broke free to have a dribbly shot on goal from around 45 Metres. Big moment in the match. A goal would of turned the game. Result?? A point. Clear of all the opposition through his own skill and shooting from 45 Jurrah was unable to convert a straight shot with no one between himself and the goals.

Northern members area around gate 51 close the fence the Melbourne "supporter" behiind me yells........"next time take your boots off Jurrah". Still often think about this and the sad implication of the comment by a grown up but highly ignorant "demon". Will spell out the implication for the likes of "jnr mac" who obviously struggles with the whole reconciliation concept. (Being an indigenous footballer he will probably kick better without boots) The sad thing here is the "supporter" actually believes and stood by what he said. This was learnt after I Q him on the direct slur against our Liam Jurrah. He believed that Indigenous footballers choice was to play in bare feet. He didn't quite get the concept that when Liam and kids similar to Liam indeed loved to wear boots but could rarely (as kids) afford the luxury. In closing you don't have to be indigenous to be offended by racism or border line racist comment.

You do see things differently don't you Thai.....The MFC did everything for Liam & then he left without a word to the supporters and the club get nothing for him.....

You tell me that We owe Liam??

He is a mere human like you or i, once you cut the skin.

You do see things differently don't you Thai.....The MFC did everything for Liam & then he left without a word to the supporters and the club get nothing for him.....

hi there WYL

Differently?

Well I don't agree with Jnr Mac.

Personally I owe Jurrah for the spectacle he provided me during his time at Melbourne. Watching him play was a sheer pleasure. That aside we all are guilty to some degree of not grasping the multitude of Jurrah's responsibilities both as a leader in the indigenous community and the precise reasons Liam returned home and supported his Community. One of my points was that Liam doesn't owe Melbourne because he was given an "opportunity" to play for Melbourne. My point was to the contrary that Melbourne fc and supporters owe Liam for the Joy he brought us not only on the field but making us aware that Australia is not only "white boys only culture" and reminding us that Indigenous Australians have been playing Aussie Rules longer than "white boys" And it shows:)

Interestingly you replied to my post ....thank you ...but no comment on the "take the boots off next time Jurrah" commen?. Would you have given it a second thought if you were there?

Edited by thaipantsman
  • Like 1

hi there WYL

Differently?

Personally I owe Jurrah for the spectacle he provided me during his time at Melbourne. Watching him play was a sheer pleasure. That aside we all are guilty to some degree of not grasping the multitude of Jurrah's responsibilities both as a leader in the indigenous community and the precise reasons Liam returned home and supported his Community. One of my points was that Liam doesn't owe Melbourne because he was given an "opportunity" to play for Melbourne. My point was to the contrary that Melbourne fc and supporters owe Liam for the Joy he brought us not only on the field but making us aware that Australia is not only "white boys only culture" and reminding us that Indigenous Australians have been playing Aussie Rules longer than "white boys" And it shows:)

Interestingly you replied to my post ....thank you ...but no comment on the "take the boots off next time Jurrah" commen?. Would you have given it a second thought if you were there?

Interesting parallels can be drawn with Anthony Mundine and the constant hate blogs/posts he endures.

Sure WYL but he is a human who has grown up in circumstances and a community we probably can't understand or empathise with.

• Like 1

hi there WYL

Differently?

"Take the Boots off next time" comment was not made by me so i wonder why i should have to comment...But i will say having spent time in the Kimberleys that the Black Fella's up there very rarely wear boots because the ground is too hard..so it was probably quite strange for Liam to wear the boot.

I fully understand the cultural hardship Liam would have felt coming down to Melbourne...BUT the MFC did bend over backwards to make it as painless as possible..

How many trips up north did members of the MFC make??

It would break Jimmy's heart to see Liam wearing a F$%^&king Port jumper, after silently leaving the club...(to the members anyway)

As soon as Liam went back home last year to face a conflict i knew his time in the city here was finishing..

The whole thing is sad...i just wish Liam had made a statement to the club & its supporters

The Melbourne Football Club went beyond the call of duty....for what?

Edited by why you little

real for one is not real for another?

I know for a fact you don't mean this.

Melbourne FC new full well what they were up against with LJ. He's not only an elite AFL footballer but also an Indigenous community elder. That's his biggest responsibility RR. Tink about it Matey..Players come and go. We'll always remember LJ as the one we let get away. Good luck to him. He'll do well with PA so long as things fall into place for him in the White Man's Courts.

You say quote

indigenous 'leader' or not ... Liam Jurrah is a bit of a [censored] in my eyes

Sure WYL but he is a human who has grown up in circumstances and a community we probably can't understand or empathise with.

Yes i know...But it wasn't as if the MFC did not try and do everything plus more to support him

I have been up the top end....it is very different.