FAREWELL LIAM JURRAH

DemonDave

Yes, you do actually.

Where is the public statemen of thanks and gratitude from Liam to the club that stood by him?

Pfft. Stick your post where the sun don't shine.

Idiot

The club has done everything in it's power to support Liam. Liam has left because he is facing some very serious life issues. He wants to be with his family and footy has to take a back seat for awhile. I for one thank him for everything he has bought out of the club and wish him all the best for his future.

• Like 4

Yes, you do actually.

Where is the public statemen of thanks and gratitude from Liam to the club that stood by him?

You're probably gutted like everybody else about LJ leaving the club, but it's entirely appropriate at this time for us to hear from him through his management and those close to him. Isn't it enough that his manager and a member of his inner sanctum have passed on his gratitude on his behalf? He's got a few things on his plate at the moment and instead of issuing demands for public statements, how about we respect the guy's privacy and let him get on with repairing his life? And how many times over the years has LJ fronted the media about anything? It's not like he's suddenly gone quiet on us.

You are a veteran poster and I realise that I'm not. Nonetheless, I thought your post was totally uncalled for. Pull your head in.

• Like 3

It is rather amusing in a fashion that RB opens with "I don't pretend to speak on Liam's behalf, but"....... then precedes to.

I understand all of what he says and there is some weight to it but at the same time whilst I understand people are people I look at all this from the clubs perspective and I think weve been somewhat diddled.

I commend the club for its actions and stoic stance. Im very disappointed in theother party(s) in all of this.

I do remember earlier in all this that He ( LJ ) was happy enough to appear on telly ( not iin MFC attire, as would be the norm ) with another Clubs president , even before informing his own club and procede with his 'take on things"

So again he cant afford the club the courtesy of even a public thankyou ???

Paint this any way you like . Ill happily concede hes a bloke with serious problems; some of his making, others not.

I think Im like many. I wont hold a person to judgement on what they cant control but i will talke note of what they CAN.

I harbour no grudge against him. Im tempted to pity him , but I wont. I'm really at the point where its yesterdays news.

I think the club ought to have been publicly thanked by the person concerned. The club went the extra mile and a few more through all of this.. The club was encouraged to respect his situation, but I dont see it coming back.

And in all honesty I can live without some one coming on here and " I don't pretend to speak on Liam's behalf, but"..... Its hypocritical.

• Like 3

I am not sure I would go as hard as RR however how far should our allowances for zero acknowledgement of what has transpired from a special case like Liam go ?

I wish Liam all the best and appreciate him putting family first but the MFC has gone above and beyond the call to help and from what I can tell has been exemplary in its dealings with Liam.

Absolutely his family comes first and I am not suggesting TV appearances but a statement released through club from him (even if it is written by the club and approved by Liam or his management but written as Liams voice) reflecting the same thoughts that rudeboy stated is the least we are owed.

Note - I have chosen the word owed carefully as the MFC as employers of Liam have gone way above what would be considered a normal employer/employee relationship for his welfare and wellbeing- we are owed a minimum of acknowledgment of what has transpired.

Edit - do not confuse the two issues of Liam going to Adelaide to be with his family (which I assume no one has a problem with) and the absense of acknowledgment of what the club has done for him and apparently will continue to do for him

• Like 6

I am not sure I would go as hard as RR however how far should our allowances for zero acknowledgement of what has transpired from a special case like Liam go ?

I wish Liam all the best and appreciate him putting family first but the MFC has gone above and beyond the call to help and from what I can tell has been exemplary in its dealings with Liam.

Absolutely his family comes first and I am not suggesting TV appearances but a statement released through club from him (even if it is written by the club and approved by Liam or his management but written as Liams voice) reflecting the same thoughts that rudeboy stated is the least we are owed.

Note - I have chosen the word owed carefully as the MFC as employers of Liam have gone way above what would be considered a normal employer/employee relationship for his welfare and wellbeing- we are owed a minimum of acknowledgment of what has transpired.

Edit - do not confuse the two issues of Liam going to Adelaide to be with his family (which I assume no one has a problem with) and the absense of acknowledgment of what the club has done for him and apparently will continue to do for him

You summed it up perfectly.

While I take a slightly different view on what the supporters are 'owed', this is a measured and well thought-out post. Well played, nutbean.

why is it I can hear Terry Jones voice resonating in my head :unsure:

Why does Liam need to make a public announcement of thanks and gratitude?

Presumably so some people can feel good about themselves and the way they supported a 'troubled' indigenous player... Implicit in this is the qualification that such players are only deserving of our support if they conform to our norms on etiquette and behaviour..

If you'd read Rudeboy's book - try pages 131 & 132 - you'd know that a whole different set of norms apply. The word thank you doesn't even exist in the Walpiri language. At one point, Ian Flack was worried because players who had been trying to help Liam around the club were miffed that he never thanked them. Rudeboy pointed out that in all the time LJ had lived with him, he'd never once said thank you.. there was no need to..because it's all about obligations and reciprocity - you do what you're required to do and there is no need for pleases and thank-yous

In any case, who's to say he hasn't said thank the club privately?

• Like 1

I dont understand why his family cant just move to melbourne.

I mean didn't they just relocate to Adelaide because of the family issues? Why didn't they just relocate to Melb instead for Liam. Im sure the MFC would've helped them out a bit like they did for Clark's missus.

lol unbelievable
Presumably so some people can feel good about themselves and the way they supported a 'troubled' indigenous player... Implicit in this is the qualification that such players are only deserving of our support if they conform to our norms on etiquette and behaviour..
...umm no... it would be simple courstesy and acknowledgement for the club having utilsed a lot of resources a to publicly help and stand by him. Is he above that ?
If you'd read Rudeboy's book - try pages 131 & 132 - you'd know that a whole different set of norms apply. The word thank you doesn't even exist in the Walpiri language.
Perhaps it bloody should !!

I dont understand why his family cant just move to melbourne.

I mean didn't they just relocate to Adelaide because of the family issues? Why didn't they just relocate to Melb instead for Liam. Im sure the MFC would've helped them out a bit like they did for Clark's missus.

If you did a bit of basic research you would understand why Adelaide and why not Melbourne

• Like 2

If you'd read Rudeboy's book - try pages 131 & 132 - you'd know that a whole different set of norms apply. The word thank you doesn't even exist in the Walpiri language. At one point, Ian Flack was worried because players who had been trying to help Liam around the club were miffed that he never thanked them. Rudeboy pointed out that in all the time LJ had lived with him, he'd never once said thank you.. there was no need to..because it's all about obligations and reciprocity - you do what you're required to do and there is no need for pleases and thank-yous

In any case, who's to say he hasn't said thank the club privately?

I've read some nonsensical posts in my time but ....

All we've heard for three years is how this bloke is a supposed 'leader' of his people yet he can't offer up a simple thank you in public to the MFC.

Crazy, we even make excuses for our players when they shaft us.

It is a shame we the supporters of the MFC have not heard words from LJ himself.

We have all looked after him during his time here.

Again I'll refer back to the episode of earlier in Mar this year. There's precedents.

Where things should clearly cut both ways they obviously dont.

Again I'll refer back to the episode of earlier in Mar this year. There's precedents.

Where things should clearly cut both ways they obviously dont.

As soon as he went back up north to what was a "war zone" i thought his playing days were over.

And i do understand that he had to go there.

I've read some nonsensical posts in my time but ....

All we've heard for three years is how this bloke is a supposed 'leader' of his people yet he can't offer up a simple thank you in public to the MFC.

Crazy, we even make excuses for our players when they shaft us.

If I were to be critical of anything in relation to this situation, it is that. Maybe it's just a sign of courtesy, of social conduct that we all respect and are ultimately looking for LJ to show.

Being a leader of his people is obviously poles-apart to how we operate but given his time in the MFC system I don't think it's too much to ask for.

If you did a bit of basic research you would understand why Adelaide and why not Melbourne

Also a simple understanding of what constitutes family in the Warlpiri culture might help.

Also a simple understanding of what constitutes family in the Warlpiri culture might help.

Who should we ask? His cousin, Basil?

.. so becaue he hasn't thanked the MFC publicly he is somehow less of a leader among his people ?

and you think I'm not making sense !

If I were to be critical of anything in relation to this situation, it is that. Maybe it's just a sign of courtesy, of social conduct that we all respect and are ultimately looking for LJ to show.

Being a leader of his people is obviously poles-apart to how we operate but given his time in the MFC system I don't think it's too much to ask for.

Strictly speaking he is not an elder (leader) of his people as is often claimed. He is far too young for that

I think this idea is confused with the fact that he is an initiated member of his tribe

Initiatiation is a rite signifying the transition to adulthood which some but not all Walpiri young adult males still participate in

• Like 2

Given his conduct of late the Warlpiri might want to consider looking elsewhere for leadership.

See DCs post above... he is entirely correct in what he says about LJ not actually being an elder/leader.

I don't pretend to speak on Liam's behalf,

But then you do so Rudeboy.

I wish LJ all the peace and love that any normal person would. I can only imagine what has happened or lies ahead. We all hope his court case is resolved as quickly as possible.

We are aware that his family comes way ahead of his football and that it is a complex family issue.

We are also aware that he had a paid contract with the MFC which finishes soon and he can then do what he likes... play football or not.

We thank him for his time at the MFC, including many short highlights.

However, it would have been nice to hear something from Liam instead of from other people. Even a comment expressing his gratitude or a wish to help out for his loss to the club. Perhaps his manager could have said something if this is not a concern for Liam. A token effort even. Instead, we hear from Port Ad that his manager has had talks with them.

This has been handled poorly, and I think that is why many are a little annoyed on here.

But life moves on. We found one exciting player in LJ, we'll find another to replace him.

Bring on Jack Viney!

• Like 1