Oliver Wines

PartyTimeJohnny

Im going to open this thread up again because if its someone we should be offering a fat contract to its this bloke..

I did say in another post he would never set foot at this club again but I believe he hasn't signed that big contract Port put forward to him. A country kid who loves being back home in Echuca with his mates and family.

Also I wonder if this was the reason Viney and Neeld had a blue over? Viney would have been dead set keen to pick up Ollie but knowing Neeld itw ould have been my way or the highway on a certain player.. I don't know its only speculation lol

PS: Please don't turn this into a Ollie vs Toumpas thread...

It will be interesting to see how Wines goes this year. Will he be another Daniel Rich?

Rich came in with an already developed body that stood up well to the rigours of AFL football, got the Rising Star and the pundits were in raptures over him. Now, a couple of years on, he hasn't kicked on. He is still the same player as he was when he first arrived. Wines is like him in a lot of ways. I am not saying that Wines will nescessarily turn out the same way, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

It will be interesting to see how Wines goes this year. Will he be another Daniel Rich?

Rich came in with an already developed body that stood up well to the rigours of AFL football, got the Rising Star and the pundits were in raptures over him. Now, a couple of years on, he hasn't kicked on. He is still the same player as he was when he first arrived. Wines is like him in a lot of ways. I am not saying that Wines will nescessarily turn out the same way, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Rich is a gun mate, as is Wines. Both don't play for us.

Let it go son....let it go...

• Like 7

JD I am not sure why you think Rich has not kick on. He is one of the shinning lights at the Lions.

I am confident Roos would have him in a flash.

• Like 4

FMD, Rich is a gun and would be close to our best midfielder if he wore red and blue..

Wines should be targeted already, if the Wines' and Viney's aren't discussing this over a few summer barbeques i'll go he..

Todd "So Ol, what's the offer in front of you?"

Ol "$xxx,xxx for 3 years"

Todd "Thoughts on coming home for 4 years and an extra $50k on top of that?"

Ol "Go Dee's" As he high fives Jack...

Rich is a gun mate, as is Wines. Both don't play for us.

Let it go son....let it go...

FMD, Rich is a gun and would be close to our best midfielder if he wore red and blue..

Wines should be targeted already, if the Wines' and Viney's aren't discussing this over a few summer barbeques i'll go he..

Todd "So Ol, what's the offer in front of you?"

Ol "$xxx,xxx for 3 years"

Todd "Thoughts on coming home for 4 years and an extra $50k on top of that?"

Ol "Go Dee's" As he high fives Jack...

Rich is not a gun, he is a good solid midfielder, keep him off his left side and his output drops (agree with John Dee, has not "improved")

Agreed Wines had a good solid year, but in a rapidly improving midfield, so wasn't carrying a lot, output fell away towards the end of the season, would wait and watch the second year

Suddenly caution goes to the wind and we have long term contracts being thrown around for a second year player

No comparison, but we had to take Toumpas when he was still there, me personally I wanted Wines, not because I thought he would be a superstar but like Rich the potential to be a good solid midfielder, but I can see after watching Toumpas at Casey why we did take him

Edit for atrocious spelling and grammer, must be tired

Edited by Satyriconhome

Don't think it will happen. Port are already in contracts talks with him and he has openly said he like living in Adelaide.

Port were having contract extension talks back in May in which he chose not to sign.

Are they trying again dbj1983?

Edited by alias275
  • Like 1

Rich is not a gun, he is a good solid midfielder, keep him off his left side and his output drops (agree with John Dee, has not "improved")

Agreed Wines had a good solid year, but in a rapidly improving midfield, so wasn't carrying a lot, output fell away towards the end of the season, would wait and watch the second year

Suddenly caution goes to the wind and we have long term contracts being thrown around for a second year player

No comparison, but we had to take Toumpas when he was still there, me personally I wanted Wines, not because I thought he would be a superstar but like Rich the potential to be a good solid midfielder, but I can see after watching Toumpas at Casey why we did take him

Edit for atrocious spelling and grammer, must be tired

nah man, gun.

There are many other 2013 videos i could post about Rich, but i'll leave it with that. He is a gun, still very young and you would love him at the Dees.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 5

Palmer is the rising star who has done nothing since! & Trengove has thrown down an achors since his first year or so.

Rich went somewhat quiet, but he is now delivering regularly for the lions. he's a gun.

• Like 1

Palmer is the rising star who has done nothing since! & Trengove has thrown down an achors since his first year or so.

Rich went somewhat quiet, but he is now delivering regularly for the lions. he's a gun.

Palmer was a ball magnet in his first year, but he was still an average kick and wasn't really a one percent player.

Wines is a one percent player, hits the ball hard, tackles hard, basically does everything that a Joel Selwood type player does.

Players in the mould of Wines and Viney will find it easier to back up because fundamentally their games are based around getting the football - at any cost.

The stronger they get, the more football they will get, they are inside beasts - especially Wines... I'd expect Viney to really come on next year.

Rich, Trengove and Palmer are all solid players in their own right and have strong attributes, but they don't attack the football with the same desperation that Wines and Viney do.

It would be a dream to land Ollie Wines, but I haven't heard a kid speak more strongly than Ollie does of Port.

• Like 1

Im going to open this thread up again because if its someone we should be offering a fat contract to its this bloke..

I did say in another post he would never set foot at this club again but I believe he hasn't signed that big contract Port put forward to him. A country kid who loves being back home in Echuca with his mates and family.

Also I wonder if this was the reason Viney and Neeld had a blue over? Viney would have been dead set keen to pick up Ollie but knowing Neeld itw ould have been my way or the highway on a certain player.. I don't know its only speculation lol

PS: Please don't turn this into a Ollie vs Toumpas thread...

There was a twit pic just recently of Wines relaxing on the Murray water skiing with all his Port mates.

JD I am not sure why you think Rich has not kick on. He is one of the shinning lights at the Lions.

I am confident Roos would have him in a flash.

He has kicked on. I didn't express myself particulary well, what I meant to say is that he has not become the world beater that everybody thought he would. I would have him in my club in a heartbeat.

Offer him 50 k more than Port are offering him, giving him the opportunity to come home and earn more money.

• 3 months later...

Quote by Ken Hinkley in todays Hun on Ollie Wines:

"This kid is going to be a serious player... you are nearly not going to be able to stop him when he wants the ball"

Gee wouldn't Roosy have loved to have drafted this kid?

Hnmm a player that really wants the ball? You can't have too many of those? Eh?

Oh FFS.

Did the recruitment of Salem, JKH, Hunt and Vince not tell you something about what Roosy wants?

And the quote says 'nearly not able to stop'. That nearly is Viney, McKenzie, Jones, Michie, Tyson and Aidan Riley.

• Like 4

Wines was not there for Roos to pick.

The Toump may or may not amount to something above good.

I dont think theres that doubt with Ollie.

We dont have him...a shame

And we move on

• Like 2