Liam Jurrah!!!

PaulRB

Liam is in Adelaide staying with some family members, while he sorts out his future plans. I don't intend to comment on his situation at all, other than to commend the club for the support they have provided Liam during his year from hell. I would love to see him continue playing in the red and blue for another 8 years, but to be perfectly frank, my main concern is for Liam's well-being and happiness.

• Like 23

Liam is in Adelaide staying with some family members, while he sorts out his future plans. I don't intend to comment on his situation at all, other than to commend the club for the support they have provided Liam during his year from hell. I would love to see him continue playing in the red and blue for another 8 years, but to be perfectly frank, my main concern is for Liam's well-being and happiness.

Well said RB.

I still maintain a little hope of us putting him on a rookie list contract but I just don't know if it's going to happen.

Has a court appearance in less than 3 weeks. Would probably have only played for Casey till seasons end. Has hardly seen his family. Goes to Adelaide to sort out some personal issues........ Gee lets all jump to the worst case scenario

No, that's not the reason for my opinion, it's just a small part of it.

Well said RB.

Ill get shouted down for being racist but im going to say it anyway. MFC and all clubs need to really consider whether its smart recruiting to pick up these guys from the aboriginal communities. They can be extrememly talented but the cultural divide can be so wide that these issues seem to crop up more often than not. THese lads from the remote communities have such a different upbringing and culture than others. This is not being racist as i feel an aboriginal bloke brought up in a country town or a city does not have this cultural divide. Look over history of the afl/vfl. its littered with blokes from remote communities that although brilliant footballers struggled to adapt to the new life. Nicky Winmar, Sean Charles, Wonna, even that talent waylon manson that couldnt get his [censored] together to get drafted last year. Id like to see the club take this in to consideration when drafting. Whats the point in putting time and money in to the development of a kid when hes just going to take off everytime he gets homesick or theres trouble back in his community. i love what they bring to footy and are great people but the club is in the afl to win premierships. we cant afford to keep tip toeing around issues like this and not know when the next time is that one of out more talented players is going to get homesick and bugger off. Instead of hiding behind the curtain of political correctness lets all admit there is a massive cultural change for a kid to move to the city. If i moved to yuendumu to play footy id problay head home alot as well. its a very big ask for these guys to come to the big smoke and play footy for a career. More often than not, a too big a ask.

I hope the MFC supports Liam as much as it can but i do feel these recurring issues should be stroingly considered next time the club is considering drafting a kid from the remote communities.

freudian slip?

lol.. nice pick up. Been a long day .

Ill get shouted down for being racist but im going to say it anyway. MFC and all clubs need to really consider whether its smart recruiting to pick up these guys from the aboriginal communities. They can be extrememly talented but the cultural divide can be so wide that these issues seem to crop up more often than not. THese lads from the remote communities have such a different upbringing and culture than others. This is not being racist as i feel an aboriginal bloke brought up in a country town or a city does not have this cultural divide. Look over history of the afl/vfl. its littered with blokes from remote communities that although brilliant footballers struggled to adapt to the new life. Nicky Winmar, Sean Charles, Wonna, even that talent waylon manson that couldnt get his [censored] together to get drafted last year. Id like to see the club take this in to consideration when drafting. Whats the point in putting time and money in to the development of a kid when hes just going to take off everytime he gets homesick or theres trouble back in his community. i love what they bring to footy and are great people but the club is in the afl to win premierships. we cant afford to keep tip toeing around issues like this and not know when the next time is that one of out more talented players is going to get homesick and bugger off. Instead of hiding behind the curtain of political correctness lets all admit there is a massive cultural change for a kid to move to the city. If i moved to yuendumu to play footy id problay head home alot as well. its a very big ask for these guys to come to the big smoke and play footy for a career. More often than not, a too big a ask.

I hope the MFC supports Liam as much as it can but i do feel these recurring issues should be stroingly considered next time the club is considering drafting a kid from the remote communities.

Very true Munga.

Yer not Matt Rendall are ya?

• Like 1

Very true Munga.

Yer not Matt Rendall are ya?

There has to be a balance between enlightened and left field type recruitig and the pragmatic.. .......and sometimes the balance tilts.

l'm not interested in commenting on or about Liam other than to say he has always deeply loved playing for Melbourne footy club, bringing its supporters joy and playing with his 'brothers'. Unfortunately this has obviously been a year from hell for him. His own health and wellbeing is more important than anything of course, even AFL footy! Being with family right now is the best thing for that.

But l do want to respond to the suggestion earlier in the thread re. Rudeboy as someone who lives in Yuendumu and who knows Liam and Rudeboy well.

Rudeboy has spent literally thousands of hours working to support his friend Liam to return to play with Melbourne this year. Let alone before this year in helping to make it happen with Liam and Melbourne in the first place. Melbourne Football club officials themselves would be the first to confirm this, as they have had constant contact and joint efforts with Rudeboy this year in supporting Liam, most especially through Craig Lees. They should both be commended for their unerring efforts in supporting Liam through his nightmare of a year. l know Liam does. The idea that Rudeboy has done anything other than support Liam to returning to try play with Melbourne throughout the year (as Liams clearly expressed desire) would be highly offensive if it wasn't so laughable.

• Like 20

Im sure MFC has done all it can to assist probably not a great choice in retrospect high maintainence high risk maybe not what a bottom club should be experiementing with.Hope he gets his life together outside football and enjoys his football in his home town

It should pointed out that when we recruited him (from what I have read) the community was quite harmonious, although very much from a different world. The fractures are something that have come about only recently while he's been away and as a leader he has be caught smack bang in the middle of it.

Further, I think recruiting players from these trouble spots are more important than ever with what's going, the young male generation need to see that there is potential for them outside of the feuds and such (this is speaking fairly uneducated). I would hope that the club continues to look for left feild recruites and if they come from remote indigenous communities I say go for it.

Channel 9 basically ran the story as if it was the end of his playing career, I really hope that's not the case. Glad to here the MFC sticking by him.

• Like 1

l'm not interested in commenting on or about Liam other than to say he has always deeply loved playing for Melbourne footy club, bringing its supporters joy and playing with his 'brothers'. Unfortunately this has obviously been a year from hell for him. His own health and wellbeing is more important than anything of course, even AFL footy! Being with family right now is the best thing for that.

But l do want to respond to the suggestion earlier in the thread re. Rudeboy as someone who lives in Yuendumu and who knows Liam and Rudeboy well.

Rudeboy has spent literally thousands of hours working to support his friend Liam to return to play with Melbourne this year. Let alone before this year in helping to make it happen with Liam and Melbourne in the first place. Melbourne Football club officials themselves would be the first to confirm this, as they have had constant contact and joint efforts with Rudeboy this year in supporting Liam, most especially through Craig Lees. They should both be commended for their unerring efforts in supporting Liam through his nightmare of a year. l know Liam does. The idea that Rudeboy has done anything other than support Liam to returning to try play with Melbourne throughout the year (as Liams clearly expressed desire) would be highly offensive if it wasn't so laughable.

Thanks for the dignified responses and the small amount of info on how hard the MFC, Craig Lees have worked to support Liam. All I can say is I wish the best for Liam as an person and can only hope he is able to truely show is talents on the AFL stage, he is one of a kind and would be amazing to see at the highest level at the peak of fitness and in tune with "todays game".

The only "one good..." in my post was Pia's bloke slotting the goal and I put that down to LJ's pass almost giving him no 'choice'!

He nearly beat St.Kilda on his own that day(this is not a tanking thread btw) and I expected he'd do it for years to come.

Yes, you're correct...that's the bit I misinterpreted. Apologies.

This is just getting ridiculous, if every year was as bad as this one then I would honestly have to toss it in.

As for Liam, hopefully the court case sorts itself out positively before too long and he can just get back to doing what he loves without all this stuff mind f@$king him every single day, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to focus and get on with it, and it sounds like there is a lot more to it than I, or most on here, have any idea about.

I am desperate for him to be more than just a flash in the pan.

Seriously, there's a hell of a lot of hysteria over a tiny bit of news here. Neeld told the world already that Liam was done for the year as far as AFL goes. Why shouldn't he go and spend some time with family given that he's not needed at the club and has a trial in a few weeks? To assume that this means he's throwing in the towel is ludicrous without more information.

For now, I say Best of luck to you Liam, and I hope after the trial is sorted out we see you fit and firing on the training track with the rest of your teammates.

• Like 2

Approx 3 months ago I wrote on one thread that I thought we had seen the last of LJ

Sadly that would now seem to be the case.

If as the Age reports he went to Adelaide without telling the club then the future does in deed look bleak.

I expect that the MFC will support him through the court case etc. to do otherwise would be a very poor look.

However for me LJ is now too hard.

This is a Football club that is fighting for its survival over the next couple of years.

Clearly to me that future does not include LJ.

He is now out of my expectations for 2013.

Time to fill the spot with someone who's main focus if Playing AFL at a high level.

I am glad I saw some great moments from LJ.

All over now, time to move on.

I apologise for some of the inane behaviour on this thread RudeBoy. You've been a fantastic contributor not only on this forum but to the Melbourne Football Club.

I wish you all the best mate.

• Like 2

I apologise for some of the inane behaviour on this thread RudeBoy. You've been a fantastic contributor not only on this forum but to the Melbourne Football Club.

I wish you all the best mate.

No need to apologise mate, but thanks anyway. Footy people are passionate and it's what helps make the game so wonderful. I understand completely why some people might vent their frustration in all sorts of directions, including mine. I've got a thick hide mate. Also, I know that most Dees supporters continue to love Liam and give him their support. Let's hope he returns, has a great pre-season and turns on a blinder in 2013.

• Like 9