The next generation of younger Dees supporters

Maldonboy38

im 24 and live in adelaide, my father turned me into a demons supporter when i was around 7 yrs old.

In highschool i knew around no more than 10 people who supported the Dee's. Nothing wrong with not having many supporters. I'd rather support a team with a small standing than a huge one and be one of the band wagon supporters.

Atleast this way when we start winning and topping the ladder we can say we have stood there through the tough times.

I even wear my 150 year anniversary guernsey when i go watch adelaide or port play i dont care, no reason to feel ashamed every team goes through a slump.

I know we havent won a final since 64 but we were there in 2001 only 11 yrs ago. Can't say we haven't tried.

• Like 2

Some serious consideations for our club regarding a strong supporter base:

Have a look at your local NAB Auskick and you will see 1 young Melbourne supporter in a crowd of 100 kids

Die-hard, long suffering supporters of my generation are struggling to keep our kids supporting Melbourne

We have no superstars except Liam Jurrah who is injured.

Although Webjet has come on board, we have no back-of-jumper sponsor

When my boys talk footy with their frinds they talk Judd, Ablett, Betts, Daisy Thomas - no Melbourne player within Cooee

WE can't win and are really poor at the moment.

If something doesn't change on field soon...

We need something to click, somethig to work, something to celebrate, something to get excite about. And we need it soon.

That just comes with success. When we were doing well I remember going to my sister's kinda for footy day and seeing three shane Woewodin clones. Whereas kids arent going to want to emulate players that get beaten LOL.

Am I embarrassed? NO

Am I ashamed? NO

Am I disappointed? YES

Am I angry? YES

Today I went out a put some MORE demons stickers on my car.

Tomorrow I will get my grandson some new demons paraphenalia.

Just HTFU princesses and just go and do something to make you feel GOOD about the demons

The MFC are 'family' and you NEVER give up on family

Jimmy didn't so why should you or yours?

5c worth

I am not sure what you think this thread is about. All of us long-suffering Dees supporters are not giving up or giving in or burning our membership cards.

We are GRIEVING that our kids and grandkids find it hard to stick with the Dees.

We are sad that at Auskick there are often no Melbourne jumpers.

We are sad that we have no superstars to make kids want to put numbers on their back, or buy badges etc...

And I am doing something to make me feel good about following the Demons - typing a response to you because you have totally failed to understand the basis of this thread. Perhaps I should only use single syllable words?

• Like 3

I am not sure what you think this thread is about. All of us long-suffering Dees supporters are not giving up or giving in or burning our membership cards.

We are GRIEVING that our kids and grandkids find it hard to stick with the Dees.

We are sad that we have no superstars to make kids want to put numbers on their back, or buy badges etc...

And I am doing something to make me feel good about following the Demons - typing a response to you because you have totally failed to understand the basis of this thread. Perhaps I should only use single syllable words?

Hit the nail on the head there. Of course we all love the Dees ...they are family to us, and yes we are grieving....we are all just venting our frustration and sharing it with each other....all the while hoping it will start to improve......so this whole sad depressing thing can convert to a bit of Joy for once.

Edited by DeeZee

I just watched the "Dublin Jim" video from '91.

This dam club must get its act together on & off the grass.

I hope the right people have read Mick Malthouses comments...& act on them, rather than sulk & shut the door.

If nothing else, supporting the MFC builds resilience!

I stood at Waverley as a kid in 1987 and cried after the Buckenara goal.

The rise to the Grand Final in 2000 was brilliant, watchting the Wiz humiliate the Pies that year with his skill, having genuine guns like Neita kicking bags, Jeff White, Adam Yze, Robbo, Woey etc etc.

We've had our ups and downs, but I wouldn't change anything as an MFC supporter.

We're a great club, and while things are tough now, we'll be back............the good times will return.

• Like 1

87 was heart breaking - 2000 was a great season. Exciting times and I had so much hope. The year we beat Adelaide in the finals then lost to North was very close as well. But I used to hate that the media would always talk us down and act surprised when we did ok.

I understood the thread

I thought it went past just being sad and sounded like more defeatism

I think it's sad too that it's hard to attract new kids. The Casey thing was always a long term venture

We all know winning will help and that's not happening

But there are people on this forum talking about telling their kids to find another team or wishing they hadn't pushed the Dees onto them etc. This is what got up my craw

I didn't become a Dees supporter just to jump on a band waggon. There is enough of that type of thinking elsewhere

And finally my post was general and not personal to anyone - it was not posted as a reply-post

Like teaching your kids to swim by throwing them in the pool.

Being a Melbourne supporter prepares you for the harsh realities of life. Failure, disappointment and heartbreak.

*may also lead your kids to drink

And there's nothing wrong with that!

As long as they don't end up on Centrelink drinking their payments away...

My father to me as a 5yo;

"You can barrack for any team you like. But you will only see them twice a year. When they play Melbourne."

haha and he was a mad Essendon fan but was zoned to Melbourne under 19's.

Exactly this time last year we beat Richmond and I was walking towards Richmond station and noticed a dad (Richmond jumper) carrying his baby about 12 months old in a Melbourne jumper and his wife (Melbourne jumper) and i asked him what was up with that?

He said it was his girls first ever game and because Melbourne won, their girl will be forever a Melbourne supporter haha

Makes me wonder how gutted he must be today after the tigers smashed us and how many 50/50 kids did we lose on Saturday....

Edited by Friday
  • Like 2

There was a queue of about 20-25 people / families waiting to sign up for Richmond membership before the game on Saturday.

In contrast, the Melbourne membership tent was empty; the one person standing outside the front was from the club i think (my dad said it was someone wanting a refund)

• Like 1

We've had our ups and downs, but I wouldn't change anything as an MFC supporter.

You cannot be serious.

I've seen 2 Melbourne GF's.

We were absolutely flogged in both.

If nothing else, supporting the MFC builds resilience!

I stood at Waverley as a kid in 1987 and cried after the Buckenara goal.

The rise to the Grand Final in 2000 was brilliant, watchting the Wiz humiliate the Pies that year with his skill, having genuine guns like Neita kicking bags, Jeff White, Adam Yze, Robbo, Woey etc etc.

We're a great club, and while things are tough now, we'll be back............the good times will return.

Geez i would.....Where to start....

most comments resonate with me.

I had Hassa Mann

then Flower Parkes Hardeman Rhino Grinter Lyon Ox Jacko Jacovic, Wiz Yze

hope you get the drift

We now have Watts Howe Trenners GArland maybe even Morton to start with

All a work in progress

I have said that defeat is character building and that mine is built.

Im off to get defeated at squash but I sure as hell will make em fight for victory.

I sometimes win and sometimes lose and if I get beaten coz Im off my game( happens often) then I make sure I try harder next time.

Is so and always has been inspired by the Dees

• Like 1

At the very least your kids should be taught not to take anything from Footscray or St Kilda fans.

Agree that the lack of a superstar for kids to identify with hurts. God knows how much money Franklin generates for Hawthorn.

• Like 1

most comments resonate with me.

I had Hassa Mann

then Flower Parkes Hardeman Rhino Grinter Lyon Ox Jacko Jacovic, Wiz Yze

hope you get the drift

We now have Watts Howe Trenners GArland maybe even Morton to start with

All a work in progress

I have said that defeat is character building and that mine is built.

Im off to get defeated at squash but I sure as hell will make em fight for victory.

I sometimes win and sometimes lose and if I get beaten coz Im off my game( happens often) then I make sure I try harder next time.

Is so and always has been inspired by the Dees

Very Nice BPOS

As far as the old "character building" goes .

I 'm freakin' Sir Lawrence Olivier here already!

How bout a win for crissakes?

Being poor recently has effected our young supporter base whether people like it or not. We have unfortunately lost 2 young Melbourne supporters in the last year. I buy the young relatives in my family Melbourne memberships and jumpers. Last year, one of them decided they go for Geelong now. Even though we have tried to convince him otherwise, and he wears his Melbourne jumper to games, he said he was sick of being teased at school and Melbourne "just lose all the time and they're boring". The other one recently decided they go for Hawthorn because "Hawthorn always win and Buddy is the best".

Hopefully we can sway them back with time, but Melbourne being down the bottom of the ladder is costing it supporters, and therefore money. We need to start performing, because the longer we're down, the worse off we are long term too. It's kind of sad that it's come to this. People pay us out ahead of Richmond and Freo now. We stand for nothing. We are a poor club on and off the field. Let's hope we can turn it around very soon.

• Like 2

Watching some mid-2000's footy at the moment. Scotty T looking the goods for the future, Yze/Robbo still up front with some flair, Flash very exciting, Rivers spoiling everything in defence, Brock and Sylvia in the wings, and a smorgasbord of players breaking and spreading into space and working hard as a team.

Future sure looked bright.

Looking at our current spread of older and younger players, it does concern me that other than LJ we've a real lack of X factor. As previously mentioned, players like Franklin and Rioli are gold. Probably worth an extra 5,000 supporters each.

Hard to get people in red and blue when there's nobody out there dragging them in the gates.

Being poor recently has effected our young supporter base whether people like it or not. We have unfortunately lost 2 young Melbourne supporters in the last year. I buy the young relatives in my family Melbourne memberships and jumpers. Last year, one of them decided they go for Geelong now. Even though we have tried to convince him otherwise, and he wears his Melbourne jumper to games, he said he was sick of being teased at school and Melbourne "just lose all the time and they're boring". The other one recently decided they go for Hawthorn because "Hawthorn always win and Buddy is the best".

Hopefully we can sway them back with time, but Melbourne being down the bottom of the ladder is costing it supporters, and therefore money. We need to start performing, because the longer we're down, the worse off we are long term too. It's kind of sad that it's come to this. People pay us out ahead of Richmond and Freo now. We stand for nothing. We are a poor club on and off the field. Let's hope we can turn it around very soon.

I suggest you disown your nieces and nephews that have changed their allegiance to Hawthorn .

At Xmas ,you could buy big presents for those who remain faithful and give the turncoats an apple or an orange and tell them about the" true meaning of christmas" .

Edited by Biffen
  • Like 1

However....on a positive note, the club have instigated a great program whereby Auskick kids (first 500 from memory) that register with the club will get a free signed guernsey. There have been quite a few kids at Brunswick West Auskick last season wearing the guernsey, so it's great to see the jumper being worn. Like many of the other kids mentioned here, my son (5) went to the game yesterday and had a great time, wearing the clubs colours. i'm hoping that it's a while before he realises what a loss is and how many we are having ! He's currently with his mum at the shops proudly wearing his guernsey...I hope i can get some of his enthusiasm.

Thanks for posting that about the auskick jumpers. Didn't know and I've submitted a form to get one if their are any left. Though she already has last years Guernsey which she proudly wears.

As for teasing, in WA its not as nasty, though I have a go at guys in other club jumpers around the footy club. For 10 years I was the only dee's supporter, now there are they of us. The bonus is I like like I'm everyone on training nights now :) lol...

The big thing in WA is giving crap to docker supporters.

Pathetic fear-mongering.

Absolutely embarrassing.

Totally agree!

You f'ing people make me sick..... You all tell your f'ing sob stories and talk about "poor culture" and continue to write negative crap, honestly most of you have no idea of what culture is. If you don't like what's going on f off and find another club with your kids.

If Jim Stynes had the attitude of some of you people he would have never got to spend those extra couple of years with his family or would have bothered to save the greatest club in history MY MFC! He would have simply slipped away quickly because it was all to hard! He has not only provided us with a fighting chance but also laid the first stone of a new culture! FIGHT TO THE END!

You so called supporters need to suck it up and fight for your club, tell your kids all that is good about your MFC!

Go Dees!