Don't Blame Neeld

Range Rover

Yeah Chip was better today, but still has alot of improvement in him. He's still out of form

Agreed. Fix up that attitude. It's worrying. Still, telling that he has Riewoldt's measure even when out of form. That said, the delivering wasn't great to Riewoldt today. However, one-on-one in their multiple duels, I cannot recall Riewoldt outmuscling Chip.

Quite frankly the on fiied performances of the MFC are distinctly on the nose. Ive yet to meet or talk with anyone who can see the slightest glimmer of anythiing resembling a coherent style let alone adherence to structure.

So far ive seen a whole lot of nothing.

Agree, in a way.

I would have said there is a clear style to Neeld's direction and that is; grab the ball and kick it long as quickly as you can. It's not particularly shrewd. It's simple and so far not all that effective. In fact, the only thing that could possibly be gleamed from all of this is that contested footy "might" be required by Neeld's team. Although the midfield accountability would suggest otherwise.

Edited by AdamFarr

I have never been so close in my life to walking away from the club.

Me neither. Having said that, that's like saying I've never been this close to Alpha Centauri... Even if true, I'm still never going there.

What concerns me with all this is the bottom line for the club. I couldn't make the game today, wanted to go, but at 3/4 time was GLAD I wasn't there. How many so-so fans out there must be bailing on the dees? How many permanently?

Even in 2008 which was supposed to be our lowest point, we still had Robbo, Davey in his best year, a few guys who would walk onto other lists like Green. And best of all we had two of our most memorable wins in recent years... The Freo comeback and the Brisbane comeback...

The club's probably never been lower. I didn't live in the post Red Fox era, those 20 odd years must have been awful, but I'd love to know which was worse....

• Like 1

When was the last time you saw a Melbourne player puke up 3 litres of Powerade? Our players simply don't work hard enough when they don't have the ball. That's something that is ingrained in the ameteur mindset of the MFC, and has nothing to do with Mark Neeld. He can help instil the mindset that rewards gut-running and putting your body on the line, but as Glenn Jakovich might say, "you can lead an old horse to water, but you can't change its stripes."

The players need to figure out what they want from their careers. Those who want a Premiership need to do what is required. Those who just want to cash a paycheck need to find a new club to leech off of, cause I'm sick of it.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

I blame the shizen culture we have...how can you not stand up and play with passion or heart....thats not neelds responsibility....the players need to stand up and show bloody something.

Aren't they ashamed...don't they read the papers, listen to radio, watch TV....how can they look at themselves in the mirror...

also the recruiting over the last 5 years has been nothing short of abysmal; Watts is the only one showing consistancy and heart

• Like 1

We have a lot of players who are going backwards, or are having trouble moving forwards. In the former category there's the likes of Green and Davey, and perhaps even Jamar: time is catching up with them, or has already gone past them. In the latter category we have quite a few who have had injury issues which have meant that either they've lost a slab of game-time, or pre-season time: Grimes, Bail, McKenzie, Tapscott, Morton, Trengove etc. Add to that the missing in action for the moment, most notably Sylvia, Moloney and Jurrah. Throw in a completely new coaching team, with a completely new approach, new systems, new instructions etc. etc., which some players are clearly having trouble getting on top of, certainly on game-day.

Once again, I just don't know what people were expecting. We were mediocre (or worse) for a lot of last season, and yes, we've gone backwards from there - for the above reasons (and probably quite a few others beyond anyone's control).

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

You misunderstand me.

When I say "it is not about..." I mean that Mark Neeld is responsible for inspiring and leading us out of all these things. If we lack skill or endeavour, no player or group of players change this of their own accord - they are coached out of it and I expect Neeld to do the same. I am not blaming him for all that is transpiring but I unashamedly lay at his feet the task of change. It is an expected part of his role.

Fair enough.

I can't disagree with that.

But it will take time, a commodity few are willing to afford Neeld.

• Like 1

You misunderstand me.

When I say "it is not about..." I mean that Mark Neeld is responsible for inspiring and leading us out of all these things. If we lack skill or endeavour, no player or group of players change this of their own accord - they are coached out of it and I expect Neeld to do the same. I am not blaming him for all that is transpiring but I unashamedly lay at his feet the task of change. It is an expected part of his role.

We lack ELITE LEVEL AFL FITNESS. To play the press and the spread you have to be at elite AFL fitness levels. Playing the press and the spread is not optional in 2012. To understand how poor the fitness standards of the Dees players were compared to the elite AFL level think about this. In one pre season Dave Misson could not get our players to that level. He is renowned for his work at the Swans and the Saints, two teams who were conditioned to play tough hard structured footy from the first bounce to the final siren every game.

• Like 1

Just watched the presser. Looks like he's reeling out the ol MFC faithful: "getting games into young players".

It's like a less entertaining Bailey era with bigger margins. Happy days.

The difference is that Neeld, Viney, Misson and Co are far harder men than Bailey ever was.

When they talk about demanding elite performance they mean it. Bailey only ever spoke about it.

• Like 1

Just watched the presser. Looks like he's reeling out the ol MFC faithful: "getting games into young players".

It's like a less entertaining Bailey era with bigger margins. Happy days.

We know what he really thinks. He told us after the first game. He's since smartened up and realized that you don't go around being honest in press conferences. However, there's still that first week of honesty which shows the kind of response from Neeld that the players would have received a few hours ago.

• Like 1

This would be coaching I think:

Part way through 3rd qtr, after a goal, mfc had only 3 players in the centre square for the ball up. Bail was on a wing with Delidio; Bail was called in to make 4.

Ball up, ball cleared by tiges out to Delidio on the wing.

Commentators made a comment about Delidio's man leaving him on his own!

This was not the only time this happened, but the one I remember the clearest.

This is coaching surely? Maybe the players don't know what's going on?

Ed: I forgot to mention that when Bail went into the centre, no one covered Delidio.

Edited by Mono

Richmond have been training and playing the same game plan for 3 years. Melbourne for 3 weeks.

Richmond played their last 2 games at night. Melbourne have played in 30 and 31 degree heat (and each player lost an average 3.2kgs last week). Might explain their being knackered by half time.

These realities were not trotted out by Neeld, who I thought gave a good presser.

Why not stop the collective hand wringing until season's end, and actually see if (and how much) they improve in that time.

• Like 1

Just watched the presser. Looks like he's reeling out the ol MFC faithful: "getting games into young players". It's like a less entertaining Bailey era with bigger margins. Happy days.

Well what can he say? They are shite and I will drop 19 of them for next week. Then what?

He has no doubt realised its a much bigger job than anticipated. Can't do anything else but try to build the team he wants with players who have a go.

I fear for a whole generation of lost Melbourne supporters. Can't keep the kids interested in watching em any more. "They are crap Dad" "Why do you barrack for them Dad?"

"I don't know. There is no good reason"

This would be coaching I think:

Part way through 3rd qtr, after a goal, mfc had only 3 players in the centre square for the ball up. Bail was on a wing with Delidio; Bail was called in to make 4.

Ball up, ball cleared by tiges out to Delidio on the wing.

Commentators made a comment about Delidio's man leaving him on his own!

This was not the only time this happened, but the one I remember the clearest.

This is coaching surely? Maybe the players don't know what's going on?

WWJBD?

Ive taken a few moments to ponder and consider my thoughts.

Heres my thinking.

Memo; Mark Neeld

Upon taking up the reigns at our fair club you issued no ambiguous warning that all that al lthat went before meant nil. All ajudications and consideration will be based upon what you saw from here on in. Names, reputations, and so all meant nought . He wasnt interested in what any one said, only what they did.

Well right back at ya Mark. Im not interested one iota in a single word you wil lutter nhenceforth of commincate to print in post match conferences or your weekly diatribes.I will measure you as you would have al those under you considered, by effort and results. I fully appreciate Rome wasnt built in a day but you never had doubt what the Romans were about nor that they meant business, I sense none of this from the Demons outings to date.

Quite frankly the on fiied performances of the MFC are distinctly on the nose. Ive yet to meet or talk with anyone who can see the slightest glimmer of anythiing resembling a coherent style let alone adherence to structure.

So far ive seen a whole lot of nothing.

Now I realise you arent out there and it might take more than a year to build a competive and demonstrably effective team, but in the mean time please dont expect me to swallow anything other than the observance of efffort, all out efforts by you and your charges .

As per your dictate words mean nothing. Words have never kicked a goal , nor tackled an opposition. Words though occasionally inspirational are of themselves worthless when push comes to shove. You know that, I know that..

Time to stop talking the talk Mark.. Its walking time.

Im not listening...Ill just be watching... like you do.

Worst. Post. Ever.

• Like 1

He's been handed a poo sandwich.

We may or may not ever recover from the post-Daniher/Bailey/Cameron/Prendergast armaggedon ... but it's not his fault.

At least give him a couple of years to see if he can do something, ANYTHING, with this bunch of hacks.

Daniher?

He had passion. Daniher was Melbourne and for an ex Bomber that's saying something. Your are right. It's not Neeld's fault but neither was it Bailey before him. Melbourne truly need more experience to ignite this young list. Trengove and Grimes-Neeld Coach. Only dreaming here but a Lyon/Malthouse combination would suit. Perhaps it may come from Viney next year? Sylvia may still step up and Jurrah start flying again?

Edited by thaipantsman

Makes you wonder when the rumours were that T$ didnt buy into our 'culture' (which appears non existent) and was shocked by some players attitude to training (also being vindicated thus far).

Also makes you realise he's not a leader but self interested to the Max.

He didn't see himself being one to help change that culture.

Also makes you realise he's not a leader but self interested to the Max.

He didn't see himself being one to help change that culture.

Correct! NSC is way off the mark again.

The problems this year are entirely different to last years set of problems. Last years problems included the poisonous issue of T$'s future. It was felt by every supporter so God only knows how it effected the FD and players?

This years problems are around a changed structure and game plan, we are also down one mid (albeit half-injured, half-hearted) because of that blokes self interest.

Before the start of the game, as the players walked to their respective positions, I commented to my Brother, "If their body language is anything to go by we're in for a hiding". The players walked with their heads down and without any zest, or energy. I'm not a behavioral psychologist, but I've previously never felt the compunction to utter those words before a game.

I'm a Neeld fan and won't lose my head 3 games in, but there's no doubt that he has some accountability to the way they're playing. Fear has a paralysis effect and I have no doubt that our players are playing in a fearful mentality, which is why they're not spreading and taking the game on. They're not wanting to make mistakes, which means they're too reactive and are devoid of any flare, or risk taking. Paralysis by analysis.

Grant Thomas is a dolt, and he made a comment after round one that the coach may have already "lost the players". I don't think he has, but there is certainly a collective mentality that in part Neeld is responsible for. He has a lot of work to do, as does every member of the football department, to get some confidence back into this playing group. It won't be easy.

• Like 2

Worst. Post. Ever.

thankyou...now I know im right

If we lose to GWS or GC, the pressure will be on.

As long as Gablett is at GC, they have a very good chance against us. They are well ahead of us imo. Well ahead.

Before the start of the game, as the players walked to their respective positions, I commented to my Brother, "If their body language is anything to go by we're in for a hiding". The players walked with their heads down and without any zest, or energy. I'm not a behavioral psychologist, but I've previously never felt the compunction to utter those words before a game.

I'm a Neeld fan and won't lose my head 3 games in, but there's no doubt that he has some accountability to the way they're playing. Fear has a paralysis effect and I have no doubt that our players are playing in a fearful mentality, which is why they're not spreading and taking the game on. They're not wanting to make mistakes, which means they're too reactive and are devoid of any flare, or risk taking. Paralysis by analysis.

Grant Thomas is a dolt, and he made a comment after round one that the coach may have already "lost the players". I don't think he has, but there is certainly a collective mentality that in part Neeld is responsible for. He has a lot of work to do, as does every member of the football department, to get some confidence back into this playing group. It won't be easy.

Could well be that a whole lot of players already know they are not required past this year???
  • Like 1

Could well be that a whole lot of players already know they are not required past this year???

there might well be more than an ounce of truth in this idea...and then there are those oblivious to it.