Hawthorn v Melbourne: NAB Cup 3

Forest Demon

Will Frawley play on Franklin? Or Garland?

most of my mates are hawks...i hope frawley keeps him goaless.

I would be surprised if Frawley plays more than 1 or 2 quarters this week, he has had a couple of games already this pre season. May be the chance to try Sellar out on Buddy.

I question why they haven't rested Jamar yet.

If he gets injured, we are f*&cked, if he gets sore and tired by round 15, we are f*&cked.

Basically, he would be my #1 most important player and without him we are doomed to a life of midfield epic failure.

Somebody wrap him up and put him away until Rd 1!

He only played a half last week - expect similar tomorrow. He's got to play so the midfield gets used to the set-up.

Fitz rucked the entire 3rd quarter against I think Ceglar - Bucks and Neeld conspired I reckon. Fitz did well and I liked his around the ground work too.

• Like 1

He only played a half last week - expect similar tomorrow. He's got to play so the midfield gets used to the set-up.

Fitz rucked the entire 3rd quarter against I think Ceglar - Bucks and Neeld conspired I reckon. Fitz did well and I liked his around the ground work too.

Same in the round robin first games, he made an appearance but Martin and Fitz did a lot of the work.

• Like 1

Won't buddy Play a High forward come midfield role?

If that's the case then McDonald would seem a good fit.

If he plays deep forward then Garland would seem ideal with good speed and anticipation.

Just a quick look the Hawks seem to be going small and pace in the forward line.

• Like 1

IN: Trengove and McKenzie (from injury), Moloney, Clark, Rivers and Bartram (after being rested)

OUT: Green and McDonald (rested), Gysberts and Blease (dropped to Casey)

Cook and Sheahan I think are the other 2 out from last week's named squad, but neither played anyway.

Interesting Gysberts is at Casey, not going to read too much into it but could be a sign of the midfield pecking order. For me, a fair few have gone past him in the pre-season so far.

I reckon your right.

IMO the theme going forward will be on winning games, so this will Now influence selection as we complete the rebuild phase, & enter the business of Ladder climbing.

So, I think the light but skilled players will have to develop their bodies & get harder at the contest, ball & ball carrier... just to win a spot in the team. Big bodies & strength will rule in the quest for premiership points.

So these young players will have to prove themselves worthy of gaining winning possessions. And setting Up Wins. Sentiment has gone out the Window along with the old carpet, and the dust under one corner.

New broom rules.

Again another good get

And thanks for the Hawks squad earlier.

I think HAwks small forwards will still have plenty of bulk for us

If he plays deep forward then Garland would seem ideal with good speed and anticipation.

Just a quick look the Hawks seem to be going small and pace in the forward line.

The good thing here is that Tom has the potential to play those postions as well. Unfortunately, with Buddy, if you let him loose for a moment you will pay and with that in mind TM will not be worrying too much about his own ball.

I reckon give him a shot. He would give the opportunity his all.

If he gets injured, we are f*&cked, if he gets sore and tired by round 15, we are f*&cked.

Basically, he would be my #1 most important player and without him we are doomed to a life of midfield epic failure.

Good point I think Jaded, but I think they want to hit the competition running as we kick off in Rnd1. So having all key personnel in full flight will be important to get this ship a moving. MOMENTUM building.

I reckon when Spencer returns, 3 to 4 weeks after that, within that timeframe, will be a good time 'midseason', for Jamar to get some timeoff.

#Edit: on checking the Fixture after the Queens Birthday Rnd presents a good time.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/fixture/tabid/15354/default.aspx

Edited by dee-luded

I'd like to see Davis get a run on Him at some stage.

Hodge Vs Magner.

Stuff the footy, would love to see these blokes scrap.

Didn't they rest him almost all of last game? Also, I bet ruckman would ideally be suited to getting used to the crash and bash of weekly ruck work, so that they don't become sore after round one. Getting him used to the physical intensity is important, and obviously if he were too sore at all, they'd avoid giving him a run.

Will Frawley play on Franklin? Or Garland?

most of my mates are hawks...i hope frawley keeps him goaless.

Frawley is the only defender in the AFL who has Buddy'r measure and has neveer been towelled up by him. Buddy relies on making the lead and having the bal kicked over his and the defenders head before doubling back and beating his man for pace, unforturnatley hasn't worked against Chippy, this is a Jakovich v Carey of the 90's I hope all over again with the defender having the upper hand

Frawley is the only defender in the AFL who has Buddy'r measure and has neveer been towelled up by him. Buddy relies on making the lead and having the bal kicked over his and the defenders head before doubling back and beating his man for pace, unforturnatley hasn't worked against Chippy, this is a Jakovich v Carey of the 90's I hope all over again with the defender having the upper hand

Yep he usually does play well on him but Buddy towelled him up last year in round 18.

Yep he usually does play well on him but Buddy towelled him up last year in round 18.

I also remember Garland wiping the floor with Franklin a couple of years ago IIRC.

I can't remember exactly which game it was but Franklin got agitated and was dragged because Garland was on him like glue.

Jack Watts is playing to instructions. If he doesn't follow the instructions he will be dropped. simple.

It's a team game and no-one should care what Jack's favourite position is. Its all about structures.

I think the last thing Watts needs is to be tossed about here, there and everywhere position wise.

So if Martin is at CHF & Clarke @ FF, where would you play Watts with his light frame?

Or is playing on a tall rangy forward/mid too much an ask for a fragile kid?

Jack Watts is playing to instructions. If he doesn't follow the instructions he will be dropped. simple.

It's a team game and no-one should care what Jack's favourite position is. Its all about structures.

Agreed. I was merely suggesting that a player would perform better as a part of the structure which he felt best-suited to. I certainly wouldn't be letting everyone just do whatever they wanted. Player input is actually useful for a coach, from time to time.

So if Martin is at CHF & Clarke @ FF, where would you play Watts with his light frame?

Or is playing on a tall rangy forward/mid too much an ask for a fragile kid?

IMHO Martin could learn to be a great CHF & Watts could be great @ HFF, wing or HBF, & if there's somewhere else he thinks he'd do well at, as Chook suggested, then try him there once. If none of those work, then back to the old drawing board at Casey for awhile