THE LEAN AND HUNGRY LOOK

Demonland

I would elevate Nicholson, Magner, and Couch for Rd 1 vs Brisbane.

In my opinion they are in the 12 or so best mids for rotation.

Trengove, Moloney, Jones, Batram, Bail, Bate, Sylvia, Gysberts, Grimes, and Petterd to join them.

McKenzie and Morton to compete once fit.

An interesting aside is that, on current abilities, our rookies easily make that 12 man rotation.

• Like 1

Again rpfc 12 men for the mids give that much needed diversity

hope the intensity for the positions make the selection even that much harder for the coaches.

On an aside was the side for Pies easier for Neeld to select from his knowledge of their capacity and do we hwve same inside knowledge of other teams????

No ..... there are other aspects he can work on - it's not just learning a new structure.

Like identifying when he needs to be more aggressive in a physical sense, when to corale and when not to corale; and when to tackle - with intent.

That is all part of the structure HT. But whatever i don't want to argue so think what you wish.

I would elevate Nicholson, Magner, and Couch for Rd 1 vs Brisbane.

In my opinion they are in the 12 or so best mids for rotation.

IMO Nicholson's kicking is dreadful and unless he improves it dramatically he won't go anywhere. Turnovers are lethal in today's football. He has a mate in Joel Mc, terrible disposal.

It was good to go and watch on Saturday Night, for most of the night I thought I was at the wrong event, all I heard was whistles all the time some one in lime was blowing a whistle. It was over umpired the holding the ball was out of control and watching with both eyes we seemed to get to worse of it.

That aside it was quite an entertaining match, it turned the clock back to the 90's kicking to contests strong around the footy. We seemed to kick to a position when under pressure, and on most occasions we had someone there to contest.

Most have covered the good players, the one I was impressed with was Davis, to me he just wants to compete, works hard. We will see him through the season proper. The other player that surprised was Fitzpatrick he rucked well.

I left happy knowing we had so much quality that either didn't play or played limited time, you inject Trengove and Moloney into the midfield, add Clark forward and Grimes/Rivers down back, plus Jurrah for huge x factor.

The only player to me that looked concerning was Gysberts, he only played 1 quarter and looked like he was running up a steep hill. There was one passage off play in the last he looked like he had found quick sand the legs were going but he wasn't moving that fast.

Just to let you know spoke to Gysberts at the Family Day, he has been crook with a flu type thingy for last couple of weeks, said he is only just getting over it, was just to get some game time into him......still looked a bit knackered..

• Like 1

IMO Nicholson's kicking is dreadful and unless he improves it dramatically he won't go anywhere. Turnovers are lethal in today's football. He has a mate in Joel Mc, terrible disposal.

I don't know if it is that bad but the main reason I like him is that he runs to the right areas and never stops running. I see him spending time in the backline and running through the middle.

Agree with Nicholson.

You can't expect to play league Footy if every second disposal doesn't hit the target.

He doesn't make my Rd 1 side which is a pity as we could use his pace.

Same with Joel Mac. I cringed everytime he went near it. Too unreliable to be best 22.

Your namesake was a pretty horrendous kick, but he was effective and valuable.

Was Powell really that bad a kick?

My memory is fading with him, but I can recall him kicking ripping goals in the 2000 finals series.

He was a classic 'hoofer.'

The beauty of Powell was his ability to get the hard footy, but his kicking wasn't great.

That is all part of the structure HT. But whatever i don't want to argue so think what you wish.

Just had a déjà vu again.

Lack of discussion is paramount when it counts.

Expecting another "whatever" response anytime soon.

Joel McDonald gets a huge tick for hardness and willingness to succeed. Unfortunately he is prone to brain fades and his disposal is woeful. With so much quality competing for limited spots in the backline, I think he'll find it very hard to cement a spot in 2012.

You just cannot afford to have guys turning it over, or doing dumb things in the backline.

• Like 1

He was a classic 'hoofer.'

The beauty of Powell was his ability to get the hard footy, but his kicking wasn't great.

I liked Powell cause he was a genuine hard nut sometimes to his detriment.

Saw him biatch slap a young Luke Hodge for being abit too cocky and getting up in his face , copped 2 weeks I think .

Hodge didn't know what to do . Lol .

Edited by Fork 'em

Joel McDonald gets a huge tick for hardness and willingness to succeed. Unfortunately he is prone to brain fades and his disposal is woeful. With so much quality competing for limited spots in the backline, I think he'll find it very hard to cement a spot in 2012.

You just cannot afford to have guys turning it over, or doing dumb things in the backline.

Yep, I have to agree. We have too many still, who are under the pump when having to give it off by hand, and still don't have the balance & agility to get into a good body position to clear the ball accurately.

We'll still be tested Hard when under pressure, in trying to keep possession.

• Like 1

Did not see the game or hear it last night so only know a small amount.

Did Cook play at all?

Just checked the game stats So iam answering my own question.

Did not get a game

Nice little soliloquy there old dee - do you talk to yourself a lot? Hear voices? :-)

- the new blood around the place, the Magners, Crouches and Clarks have brought a new energy and attitude that helps lift everyone.

I have only noticed one of each...........there are others?

Was Powell really that bad a kick?

My memory is fading with him, but I can recall him kicking ripping goals in the 2000 finals series.

Ahh I remember his performance in the 2000 GF. Played an excellent first quarter and was one of our few good players on the day. I can't really remember many of his other matches though.

Ahh I remember his performance in the 2000 GF. Played an excellent first quarter and was one of our few good players on the day. I can't really remember many of his other matches though.

Stephen Powell had a great 2000 season. One of the main reasons we made the the GF. I hope James Magner is as hard at it.

The rule is there to prevent someone taking a mark on the goal line, and walking outside 50, to take a kick for 9.

Makes sense

You mean to say the coach would allow this sort of thing if the rules allowed?

Player: .... "So what if i got nothin from that great piece of play coach. As you know, i'm a huge kick, so i just thought i'd take a mighty long run up....you know.....50 yards back of the goal square where i marked it....just to be sure i had a good chance of gettin meself 9 points instead of that certain 6 points i had directly in front of goal. Only a [censored] wld kick it from directly in front!"

Coach: :huh: .... "anyone seen Todd around?"

You mean to say the coach would allow this sort of thing if the rules allowed?

Player: .... "So what if i got nothin from that great piece of play coach. As you know, i'm a huge kick, so i just thought i'd take a mighty long run up....you know.....50 yards back of the goal square where i marked it....just to be sure i had a good chance of gettin meself 9 points instead of that certain 6 points i had directly in front of goal. Only a [censored] wld kick it from directly in front!"

Coach: :huh: .... "anyone seen Todd around?"

I often thought Darren Bennett should do this as he was more accurate from 50 than 10!!!