Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for this week v Pies

Lil_red_fire_engine

Interchange: Teams will have two interchange players and two substitutes in rounds one and two, with the option to replace up to four players at half-time in the full-length second-round matches. The interchange reverts to the premiership season rules (three interchange, one sub) in round four.

Assuming the above is correct from the FOX Sports website we will need to go with 26 players next week (18+2+2+4). Of the players that missed last week I believe Trengove and Blease are certainties to return but unsure of the availability of the others. Assuming only Blease and Trengove to return we will need to cut 5 players from the weekend. Which 5 players would you cut from the tri-round squad? I expect that Couch, Magner and Nicho will be given every opportunity to fight for a rookie spot so would think the following would be the ones I would go with on the basis of team balance and performance.

Joel Mc (errors and balance)

Fitzpatrick (balance)

Bennell (poor game)

Gysberts (poor game)

T-Mac (balance)

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

FB: Bartram Frawley Garland

HB: Grimes Sellar Rivers

C: Nicholson Moloney Bail

HF: Howe Watts Sylvia

FF: Petterd Clark Davey

Foll: Jamar Bate Jones

Int: Magner, Martin, Couch, Green

Reserves: Tynan, Dunn, Bennell, Fitzpatrick, Macdonald, McDonald, Gysberts

Should return soon: Blease, Trengove

Hopefully to play at least one NAB cup game: Davis, Jetta, Jurrah, McKenzie, Morton, Strauss, Taggert, Tapscott, Lawrence

Unlikely to play NAB cup: Williams, Sheahan, Evans, Cook

Won't play NAB cup: Gawn, Spencer

So the above is a break down of our list. What I'd like to see is the players listed in bold rotated in and out of the side so they have enough game time to be ready to go but aren't over exposed. Then I'd like a rotation of the rest of the players so they can fight for spots. I'd like Blease and Trengove (if fit) to come in soon but the rest of the guys who were ruled out of the queensland trip to hopefully sneak one NAB game. Especially Jurrah and McKenzie as the can be important players. And I'd love to see Davis, Taggert and Lawrence get a crack at NAB cup footy.

WYL didn't you know that these practice matches mean everything... Our season is already over apparently.....

Yes that was the vibe on here last night! I do hope not many slashed wrists and microwaved membership cards.

Mark Neeld & Emma Quayle were happy with last night so that is good enough for me.

... the following would be the ones I would go with on the basis of team balance and performance.

Fitzpatrick (balance)

Bennell (poor game)

Gysberts (poor game)

T-Mac (balance)

I see your point. But I'd think that those who didn't do well in the wet - Bennell, Watts, Gysberts, Dunn - would be the ones you'd want to keep in to see how they go in better conditions. These guys are not, and perhaps never will be, mudlarks.

And will Garland be fit?

).... the following would be the ones I would go with on the basis of team balance and performance.

Fitzpatrick (balance)

Bennell (poor game)

Gysberts (poor game)

T-Mac (balance)

Neeld appears to be using these games as practice matches the result therefore being irrelevant.

Therefore I would play all the above players for the reasons you give to see if they can improve

I would leave out Green, Davey & Jamar & any other player who does not come up after a humid, hot game in Brisbane.

Does anyone remember how long Morton is out for this time? If he's over his fall he'd be likely to be in the squad. That would put the squeeze on yet another player.

I'm inclined to agree with a lot of the names above, but I would add Garland as well. He hurt himself this week and could be rested as a precaution.

Does anyone remember how long Morton is out for this time? If he's over his fall he'd be likely to be in the squad. That would put the squeeze on yet another player.

I'm inclined to agree with a lot of the names above, but I would add Garland as well. He hurt himself this week and could be rested as a precaution.

They said 2 weeks, so he'll miss the Pies game.

Out; Gysberts In; Anyone willing to chase. If you were there, you would've seen how lazy he is off the ball ***Nb. You wouldn't have seen the incident on TV.

Out; Sellar In; Any defender who knows that when you are 3m from the goal line, and a big kick comes in, you don't punch the ball to the top of the square, you punch it through for a point.

I was there, sat through Cyclone Magner, and was going through the standard emotions of being a Melbourne supporter. The conditions obviously didn't help, but the 2 points I listed above were inexcusable in any weather conditions.

It is a hard balancing act to get the players right for round one. I've heard the coaches speak about having each available player on the board with the ideal number of minutes each are to play in the pre season. You then need to balance that with getting the players that are more like playing in your best 25 playing together. Each player will be different, some players will need more game time to find form so who will play this week is anyones guess.

I honestly reckon Joel McDonald shows very little.

But Ive thought that for a while. I was surprised no one has pointed him out for criticism.His tentative attack makes me believe he knows he will stuff it up if he gets it.

But Ive thought that for a while. I was surprised no one has pointed him out for criticism.His tentative attack makes me believe he knows he will stuff it up if he gets it.

Interesting you say that Franky... I was only talking to my mate the other day about Joel Macdonald. When he first came to the club he was pretty hard at it but I do remember him making some disastrous decisions turning the ball over, especially one game v Port.

To be honest I think hes done a Cale and lost complete confidence. Does need to lift though.

Interchange: Teams will have two interchange players and two substitutes in rounds one and two, with the option to replace up to four players at half-time in the full-length second-round matches. The interchange reverts to the premiership season rules (three interchange, one sub) in round four.

Assuming the above is correct from the FOX Sports website we will need to go with 26 players next week (18+2+2+4). Of the players that missed last week I believe Trengove and Blease are certainties to return but unsure of the availability of the others. Assuming only Blease and Trengove to return we will need to cut 5 players from the weekend. Which 5 players would you cut from the tri-round squad? I expect that Couch, Magner and Nicho will be given every opportunity to fight for a rookie spot so would think the following would be the ones I would go with on the basis of team balance and performance.

Fitzpatrick (balance)

Bennell (poor game)

Gysberts (poor game)

T-Mac (balance)

What's you criteria for selection. Why wouldn't you give these types of players plenty ground time. You've already forgotten its still practice games. By the way nothing wrong with Bennell's game. Tom Mac rarely does anything wrong. One of our better marks. Gys needs work. Fitzpatrick was competative and needs every bit of expwerience that he can get at this time of the year. Alternate Jamar and Martin. We don't need to burn them out.

Edited by Rhino Richards

I have not forgotten what it is. I am just aware that we have to make 5 changes and I expect that the rookies will be given every opportunity to perform. Making way with 5 of them is not easy which I am sure you will find if you actually decided to name 5 players. This preseason is not about giving kids experience it is about ensuring our senior players are finetuned for round 1. It is fair to say that some players cemented in the starting 18 will be rested at some point and this will allow opprtunities for players such as Fitzy and T-Mac but I dont think that will occur this week and more likely against Hawthorn. I am a fan of Bennell but his game was extremely poor and I cannot understand how you would think his performance was acceptable. I dont believe poor games should be rewarded even during practice matches.

Guest djdemons

FB: Bartram Frawley Garland

HB: Grimes Sellar Rivers

C: Nicholson Moloney Bail

HF: Howe Watts Sylvia

FF: Petterd Clark Davey

Foll: Jamar Bate Jones

Int: Magner, Martin, Couch, Green

Reserves: Tynan, Dunn, Bennell, Fitzpatrick, Macdonald, McDonald, Gysberts

Should return soon: Blease, Trengove

Hopefully to play at least one NAB cup game: Davis, Jetta, Jurrah, McKenzie, Morton, Strauss, Taggert, Tapscott, Lawrence

Unlikely to play NAB cup: Williams, Sheahan, Evans, Cook

Won't play NAB cup: Gawn, Spencer

So the above is a break down of our list. What I'd like to see is the players listed in bold rotated in and out of the side so they have enough game time to be ready to go but aren't over exposed. Then I'd like a rotation of the rest of the players so they can fight for spots. I'd like Blease and Trengove (if fit) to come in soon but the rest of the guys who were ruled out of the queensland trip to hopefully sneak one NAB game. Especially Jurrah and McKenzie as the can be important players. And I'd love to see Davis, Taggert and Lawrence get a crack at NAB cup footy.

Pretty solid lineup there. I reakon thats close to what the final team will look like this weekend.

Strangely enough it was his dropped mark and then fight to regain the ball against 2 opponents that set up the winning goal against Brisbane, I think he gets a rough deal on here, I think his biggest issue is consistency. He has an upside though cause I think he hates to be beaten.

• Like 1

Tentative attack? are you sure you are looking at the same bloke, I suggest you go to training identifty No 28 and get him to tentatively approach you. Why point out a Melbourne player for criticism, unless of course hiding behind a nickname you are a 100 game AFL player, that way you know what you are talking about. Everybody stuffs up now and again. The bit I enjoyed was when Joel dropped an easy mark but went back and fought to get it back which he did, then dellivered the ball

Edited by satyricon