• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE WINDS OF CHANGE

Demonland

THE WINDS OF CHANGE by Whispering Jack

When Mark Neeld was appointed coach of the Melbourne Football Club last September, we were promised something different and if any proof was required that the winds of change are now sweeping through the club then yesterday afternoon's intra-club match at Casey Fields certainly did not disappoint. 

Sitting in the stands high above the action were club luminaries Jim Stynes and Garry Lyon who have overseen the changes in the club's football department over the off season. Alongside them are some of the club's injured and rehab group and together with those being rested, they make up a third of the club's playing list.

Now, I'm not particularly well versed on the make up of Melbourne's football department staffing situation but you don't have to be Einstein to figure out that if you total up the all the coaches and assistants now at the club, you will get close to a one on one coaching set up for the players in this unique hybrid of a practice match/training run/lecture session in eight parts of seven minutes each with classes in the breaks in between. 

This is 2012 and the times are a'changin at last at Melbourne. With all due respect to those who came before, this is serious stuff clearly based on a form of sports science that we've never seen before at the Melbourne Football Club. 

The first thing I notice when the two teams run out on the ground is the change in body shape of several of the players. Some have trimmed down and others are bulked up but the changes are subtle and nuanced rather than dramatic. Midfielders like Brent Moloney and Nathan Jones look positively sleek (compared with their former selves), Matty Bate a little more so but his move to the middle is a reinvention. Cale Morton might have added a few grams to his frame but, as the session progresses from one eighth to another, you can see that he has added significant tonnes of confidence to his repertoire.

It's hard to judge exactly what is going on out there as the tricky winds blow around the ground in a way that has seemingly come from nowhere. How much of this is experimentation? Are they simulating discrete strategies for use in particular situations for later in the year or is this part of a new game plan where, much in the same vein as at the coach's former club Collingwood, you hug the wings and flanks, then zero in on the goal and score? 

So what would I know - there's no scoreboard, no player numbers and the result of the game (if this is a game) is irrelevant. The only thing that remains unchanged is the fact that the umpires, attired in red, wear  their own numbers but even they remain fairly anonymous and the desire to jeer them just isn't there.

The highlight is the size and the physical presence of Brisbane recruit Mitch Clark who provides the strong marking forward target missing during most of Dean Bailey's tenure after David Neitz broke down and retired a handful of games into 2008. Coming out of the middle, the players kick long to find the likes of Clark, a rejuvenated Mark Jamar and other dangerous targets like Jack Watts and Ricky Petterd. When Liam Jurrah returns after recovering from surgery on his wrist there is going to be some excitement every time the ball moves into the attacking zone. 

Of course, with that sort of set up, you need the crumbers to take advantage of the opportunities that will open up at ground level. Aaron Davey is being tried there but the Flash, with knee bandaged and still not 100% after last year's frustrations with injury, is used sparingly and, dare I say it, only shows flashes of his former self. He needs more time and it's only February.

On the other hand, there's Sam Blease, the red-headed speedster who looks stronger, fitter and faster than he has ever been since coming to the club in the Jack Watts draft. He looks set to become a regular up forward after impressing as a defensive flanker on debut late last year.  I sense that the change in him is more than just physical; he seems to have matured emotionally and is far more focussed as if ready to announce his arrival on the football stage. I met Sam at a club function last year when he appeared under the spell of his close mate Tom Scully. I noticed he seemed in awe of his now former team mate and followed him around like a puppy. Today, like the rest of the club, he's moved out of that shadow and stands to be the major beneficiary of that much publicised departure from the club. Blease is now his own man and he underlines this with an impressive two goal performance playing up forward.

Among the others who stand out as improvers are Rohan Bail, rookie Dan Nicholson, Tom McDonald and jumping Jeremy Howe looking the part as an onballer who drifts forward on occasion. Troy Davis also looks good at times.

In the days of yore, intraclub practice games were good for identifying possible new talent but under the new system, we know all there is to know from the Internet the moment they're traded or have their names called out in the draft. Clark is already a given and James Sellar crashes through a bit in a key defensive position alongside regulars like James Frawley and Colin Garland. Tom Couch shows a bit in the middle but the newbie youngster who really stands out in defence is Josh Tynan.

Tynan looks to have the necessary confidence and poise to step quietly into the game at the highest level. I must confess that initially, I didn't know who this player was and had to go back later to vision on the 'net before I was able to make a positive ID but if the youngster from Gippsland keeps up the intensity, that sort of thing won't be necessary in the future.

There's also been a lot said about leadership at the club in recent times. The old leaders like Brad Green and Brent Moloney demonstrate that even without the titles, they will still be providing on-field leadership and, although Jack Trengove didn't play, it's pleasing to see that Jack Grimes has lost none of his courage and poise and that he is set to fit comfortably into his new role. Indeed, the way things look with the continuing on field contributions of the old guard together with the emergence of the new, young leaders, that initiative might well be a stroke of genius on the part of the new coach.

I suppose we'll get some further indication next week on the Gold Coast when we move from eights to half games with supergoals and the razzmatazz of the NAB Cup.

Like most of you, I just can't wait.

• Like 1

Good report WJ. I think it's Josh Tynan, not Luke, but yes he got a bit of it.

I liked the way he covered his tracks. If he missed the mark, he made a big second or 3rd effort to get the ball, or knock it away from the opposition.

The negative for me was the numbers still in rehab. I would have loved to watch Taggart, Magner, Evans, Williams and the others. Maybe they looked at Magner's highlights reel (the one where he tackled opponents to death) and decided to leave him in his cage for another week.

The positive? I didn't laugh or cry or shake my head. I previously watched last years session at Gosch's Paddock and was like watching the keystone cops - just a comedy of errors.

There was still a few skill errors yesterday - a few dropped marks and kicking out on the full - but they were in low risk areas with plenty of support from the numbers at the ball.

Morton - got tackled a couple of times - didn't panic - kept his hands free and got the ball to a teammate. He needs confidence more than muscles.

They did 8 x 7 minute sessions yesterday with no interchange, and they were down to 13 per side by the last sessions so the game opened up a bit.

Next week we'll have 34 guys on the park. It will be interesting to watch.

Good article WJ. We have new coaches, new players, new leaders, new medical staff, new fitness staff, new football administration, new attitudes among the experienced players and a new feeling with the supporters.

With the new season comes new hope for a successful MFC. Bring it on.

Good article WJ. We have new coaches, new players, new leaders, new medical staff, new fitness staff, new football administration, new attitudes among the experienced players and a new feeling with the supporters.

With the new season comes new hope for a successful MFC. Bring it on.

God it would be bloody nice to have a winning season after the last 5 years of pain.

Tynan was a bit of a revelation. He didn't star but he kept putting in and hitting hard even though it was his first practice match.

It might not be in 2012 but he definitely has a future!

I was impressed with Tynan but I was much more impressed with his opponent, Sam Blease who led him a merry dance for much of the day.

I was impressed with Tynan but I was much more impressed with his opponent, Sam Blease who led him a merry dance for much of the day.

That might well be so when he was on Blease but I was referring more to Tynan's commitment and endeavour and the way he just plugged away and got better as the day went on.

I don't think you could expect much more in the circumstances. This is Blease's fourth season at the club and it's probably his first full preseason. IIRC he was really struggling early on in the piece when he was being worked hard in the endurance runs.

Tynan is in his first preseason and looked a real goer. Blease was very good but he didn't run him ragged and he did his best to exert pressure on whoever was his opponent for 8/8s of the game and kept getting better.

I really liked Troy Davis. His speed for a tall back is truly exceptional. Needs to work on his disposal, but I reckon he will be a player.

He was also on two tough customers in Watts and Clark and lowered his colours to the latter but did well on Jack. The lack of numbers on jumpers was a problem but I think he was the one who smothered a shot for goal by Watts early in the piece. It was a nice piece of play from whoever effected that smother because otherwise, it was a certain goal.

That might well be so when he was on Blease but I was referring more to Tynan's commitment and endeavour and the way he just plugged away and got better as the day went on.

I don't think you could expect much more in the circumstances. This is Blease's fourth season at the club and it's probably his first full preseason. IIRC he was really struggling early on in the piece when he was being worked hard in the endurance runs.

Tynan is in his first preseason and looked a real goer. Blease was very good but he didn't run him ragged and he did his best to exert pressure on whoever was his opponent for 8/8s of the game and kept getting better.

Simon Goddfrey was a real goer as well. I liked what I saw but for those that weren't there they need to understand that he didn't actually beat his man, in fact he was well beaten.

He was also on two tough customers in Watts and Clark and lowered his colours to the latter but did well on Jack. The lack of numbers on jumpers was a problem but I think he was the one who smothered a shot for goal by Watts early in the piece. It was a nice piece of play from whoever effected that smother because otherwise, it was a certain goal.

I think the webcast mentioned Davis in that play. It was a hell of an effort. He also outsprinted Watts to a loose ball on the boundary at 50 m late in the game. Watts put him over the line easily, but it was a hell of an effort to get the ball first.

I think the webcast mentioned Davis in that play. It was a hell of an effort. He also outsprinted Watts to a loose ball on the boundary at 50 m late in the game. Watts put him over the line easily, but it was a hell of an effort to get the ball first.

Thanks for that. I wasn't entirely sure that it was Davis but it was one of the best plays of the day IMO because it cut off an almost certain goal.

I thought that in general play, he was giving Watts plenty of latitude but was quick enough to get back into position to apply pressure on him when the situation demanded. Davis missed this part of last season last year and didn't really get started at Casey until several rounds into the season. He'll find it hard to break into the side for a while but it's handy to know we have such a good prospect to step in should a vacancy arise or (and I believe this is will become a factor in the coming years) if players are rested from time to time during the season.

Fan, the role of the defender is to negate his opponent and to the extent that Sam Blease was the most outstanding attacking small player on the field and Tynan was opposed to him for a good part of the game then you're right in your assessment of the kid. I have a feeling that we're often going to see that when Blease turns on the afterburners, very few defenders (let alone someone as green as Tynan) catching him.

However, I also think you're being way to harsh on Tynan and on DH's assessment of him because they weren't opposed to each other all of the time and, unlike Simon Godfrey whose disposal and decision-making were always questionable at best, Tynan's skills in those areas were quite good.

The thing that I liked about Tynan was how well he fitted into the defensive team and went to the aid of others such as in the little cameo where he risked life and limb to effect a great spoil on Mitch Clark. It was something we didn't see enough of in the "bruise-free" parts of last season.

Fan, the role of the defender is to negate his opponent and to the extent that Sam Blease was the most outstanding attacking small player on the field and Tynan was opposed to him for a good part of the game then you're right in your assessment of the kid. I have a feeling that we're often going to see that when Blease turns on the afterburners, very few defenders (let alone someone as green as Tynan) catching him.

However, I also think you're being way to harsh on Tynan and on DH's assessment of him because they weren't opposed to each other all of the time and, unlike Simon Godfrey whose disposal and decision-making were always questionable at best, Tynan's skills in those areas were quite good.

The thing that I liked about Tynan was how well he fitted into the defensive team and went to the aid of others such as in the little cameo where he risked life and limb to effect a great spoil on Mitch Clark. It was something we didn't see enough of in the "bruise-free" parts of last season.

Oh dear. I'm not having a crack at Tynan at all, I liked what I saw and I said that in both posts. But I was trying to add balance because those that didn't see the game may well think he beat his opponent and is pushing for a best 22 spot which I doubt. That's no criticism, just fact, and like you I hope Blease embarrasses many a defender this year.

Tynan was brave, confident and seemed to know where to go to accumulate the ball. He seems an excellent pick up for someone in the 50's in a supposedly weak draft and continues Barry Prendergasts ability to spot talent.

The Godfrey reference was merely to point out that "having a crack" alone does not make a footballer good.

Hope that clears it up. Just to restate for those who might have missed it - I like Tynan.

Oh dear. I'm not having a crack at Tynan at all, I liked what I saw and I said that in both posts. But I was trying to add balance because those that didn't see the game may well think he beat his opponent and is pushing for a best 22 spot which I doubt. That's no criticism, just fact, and like you I hope Blease embarrasses many a defender this year.

Tynan was brave, confident and seemed to know where to go to accumulate the ball. He seems an excellent pick up for someone in the 50's in a supposedly weak draft and continues Barry Prendergasts ability to spot talent.

The Godfrey reference was merely to point out that "having a crack" alone does not make a footballer good.

Hope that clears it up. Just to restate for those who might have missed it - I like Tynan.

I could see you weren't having a crack at Tynan, but trying to pump up Bleases tyres, using Tynan as a springboard. Thats the issue. He sounds like an honest 'ave a go' young kid which we need more of.

I could see you weren't having a crack at Tynan, but trying to pump up Bleases tyres, using Tynan as a springboard. Thats the issue. He sounds like an honest 'ave a go' young kid which we need more of.

...or you are living your poster name a little too hard.

I wrote:

Tynan was a bit of a revelation. He didn't star but he kept putting in and hitting hard even though it was his first practice match.

It might not be in 2012 but he definitely has a future!

What part of this suggests that Tynan "beat his opponent and is pushing for a best 22 spot"?

I wrote:

What part of this suggests that Tynan "beat his opponent and is pushing for a best 22 spot"?

Nothing - but this is the MFC, and there'll always be someone to take an unremittingly negative view of every post regarding every player.