• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Leadership group announced; Grimes and Trengove co-captains

Striker475

Not sure about you but one thing I have noticed in the past, is that no Melbourne player has handled a tag - they never knew how to - hopefully that changes this year

I think we needed to work harder as a group to break tags, the midfield group to me never worked well as a cohesive unit and were easy targets to pick off.

• Like 1

A leadership group of 8 for a list of 45? Smacks of too many chiefs, not enough indians for mine.

If I was Brent Moloney I'd be devastated. Theres no one that does more above and beyond than Beamer

with his boxing camps etc, as well as his onfield leadership, clearly his couple of off-field discretions

have cost him dearly.

I dont buy into the whole argument that because we had a bad season we have to blame the leaders and

replace them with new ones. How many years would Robbie Flower have lasted as captain with this kind

of thinking? We were on the bottom of the ladder for almost every year he was leader. Not meant a slight

on the great man Robbie of course, merely emphasising the 'lets make changes' attitude to accountability

doesnt sit well with me at all.

I think you are getting confused with playing poor football and leadership. There might be a reason why Nathan Jones wasn't dropped from the leadership group ? I am not the biggest fan of his football abilities but I love his on-field leadership - his 1%er's, his desire to "lift" when the team is down. We suffered badly last year from stagnancy - no one moving, no one offering. Nathan Jones again and again would offer an option whether we were up or 60 points down. He may not have been getting the ball but he was trying to make a difference.. Thats what i expect of a leader. To me the mark of a leader is the ability to impose yourself on the field without necessarily imposing your on the ball/play itself.

Leaders fall into two categories - subtle and non subtle. Robbie Flower ( like Wayne Carey) imposed his leadership by the sheer genius of their football no matter what the circumstance. Tom Harley was no genius on the football field but was a leader who did the little things that gained him so much respect - the perfect team player always doing the team thing, following plans and instructions to the letter and getting others to do the same.

I would suggest that Nathan Jones falls into the category and I am certain that is what the FD feel about Clint Bartram.

I have no problem with Rivers, Davey or Green no longer being in the group. I wonder if Moloney's demotion is not so much about his indiscretion but more about his gulf between his best and worst. Against top sides last year ( in his B&F year) he didnt give a yelp. I am not talking about possessions. Iam talking him putting his hand up and saying "I am here and am going doing to something to make a difference"

• Like 1

I think we needed to work harder as a group to break tags, the midfield group to me never worked well as a cohesive unit and were easy targets to pick off.

I agree and suspect that you are referring to Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn in particular whose mids always seem to find ways to help each other out, especially with blocks and shepherds. I hope that Neeld, the Collingwood mids coach, will instil this into our mids. There is no reason to expect otherwise. He id after all coach a Premiership midfield, and almost a second.

Edited by monoccular

I agree and suspect that you are referring to Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn in particular whose mids always seem to find ways to help each other out, especially with blocks and shepherds. I hope that Neeld, the Collingwood mids coach, will instil this into our mids. There is no reason to expect otherwise. He id after all coach a Premiership midfield, and almost a second.

You got it.

Very, very happy with the appointment of our Captains (although would've preferred stand-alone) and LG. Congrats to two Jacks and all others honoured to be included. As for those omitted from last year, IMO some deserved some not so. But we all need to remember a couple of things here. We are on the outside looking in, and although some have more inside info than others, it does not change the fact that we really don't "know". Secondly, Neeld made it crystal clear in the lead up to this decision that the past would not be used to decide the leadership group, as he was not here then and has no clue as to the goings on behind closed doors. He would make his decisions based solely on the actions of the players over the course of the preseason. To all those who are miffed about Moloney or Green or Barty or Garland or Clark, you need to give credit to our coach, the players, the FD and the board, and realise that if they followed the criteria they were using to select and LG and these 8 players came out on top, then the other players must not have been the most deserving, despite what those of us on the "outside" seem to think. If Beamer or Davey or anyone else have a problem with this, then they are showing the lack of leadership qualities expected of someone in our LG, and if they don't use this as motivation to work harder and lead by example then they are simply not worthy. Far as I'm concerned it's a job well done by all those involved and I look forward to seeing how these boys lead our club into what I hope will be a period of sustained success.

Bartram, while I love his endeavor, would be struggling to hold his place in the team wouldnt he?

Obviously not Lord Travis. Despite some terrible kicking, Barty is a hard worker, who plays a brilliant tagging role, and I can't ever forget the fact that in 08 (?) he played the day after the passing of his father and ripped it up. For all we know they have developed a kicking style that works for him, and if that is rectified then he is one very solid contributor.

Not keen on Co Captains. Would have preferred one captain only. Grimes has hardly been on the park. Beamer should not have been left out of the leadership group and should have been Capt with Trenners as VC.

Well obviously not DemonOX, otherwise it is pretty fair to say that that is what would have happened.

Very happy with the appointments.

Interesting that we have announced a new record holder for "youngest Captain" just days after the appointment of Greg Healey as Footy Director. Didn't he hold that record at the Club until today?

Also really feel for Beamer and Greeny. I fear Brad may be paying the price for events of the 2011 Season. But, rather baffled as to why Beamer would be left out.

I think he did, and I think the previous youngest AFL/Vfl captain was David Dench??

"Jumping Jack Flash...it's a gas gas gas"

Played that song a couple of times today already..

If this is referrng to Davey, I agreeif not won't get a game.Neeld will not carry anyone.t

If this is referrng to Davey, I agreeif not won't get a game.Neeld will not carry anyone.t

No, it is for our 2 Captains actually!! Davey wasn't in my thoughts at all. Will struggle to get a game by the sound of his present training.

It's difficult to fathom some posters disappointment with the senior players who were dropped from our leadership group. I believe it has been the failure of our senior leaders to actually lead in desperate times of need over the past few years that has directly attributed to our poor form. Their inability to 'stand up' in pivotal games, like 186, has been the hallmark of our directionless, dispassionate, bruise-free style of football.

Couldn't agree more, the leadership from the leadership group last year was practically non existent and if they were re appointed it would have been farcical. Barters is not one of my favourites but he plays the game until the end and doesn't quit when the opposition gets a bit of a roll on, so he has to be admired for that. I was at a Casey/Williamstown game a couple of years ago and at half time as they were walking off all were silent except Barters, he was shouting encouragement to the rest of the players reminding them there was another half of the game to play.

I'm over the moon that they cut the players from the leadership group that just didn't understand what that actually meant. It's not just the highest paid that should lead the group.

Love this appointment(s)......

I have been away for quite some time and come back to this kind of excellence. A wonderfully bold move from a club that hasn't been renowned for it.

Although I have never been a fan of the co-captain regime in theory, I love these two and understand why (age & inexperience) they have been anointed to the role.

I have such respect for both and have thought for some time now, that Grimes in particular was a future captain. His class in the press conference was truly brilliant.

As for the past players not in the leadership group. I can understand the disappointment of some, but these guys failed as leaders when needed.

This unfortunately includes Green, on who's shoulders the captaincy never sat well and he (we) suffered because of it. Hopefully we will get the old Brad back (circa 09-10) now that the burden has been lifted. Not to mention the class he has shown (Twitter response) after being replaced proves the kind of man and Demon he is.

• Like 1

Very happy with the appointment of the two Jack's (as Co-Captain) and the Leadership Group.

I think that of the MFC listed players, Trengove, Grimes, Frawley, Bartram, Garland and Jones (apologies to McKenzie and Bail) best represent my belief of which MFC players would follow the 'coaches instructions' to the letter of the law. These 6 members of the leadership group seem to best represent the team 'ethos' and the ones most likely to contribute (via the 1%ers) for the greater good. The leadership group to me as individuals represent those with the most obvious ability to 'teach' or 'instruct' their team mates out on the field, offering advice and guidance to improve their teammates performances. We've seen evidence of this in Frawley and Garland giving advice to some of the younger defenders during the past 12-18 mths, we've seen Jamar grow as an individual to someone who now feels comfortable 'advising' the midfielders of where to position themselves. The notion of having a leadership group is designed to improve the teams performance and it's individuals, it is not meant to represent the best players at the club.

For those suggesting that Moloney should have been captain (or even a part of the leadership group), there's a big difference between being a leader and being the B&F at a club. Knowing Brent via similiar social circles, I would have been amazed to see him as Captain of the MFC. Sure he's a decent player and passionate for the MFC, however he is servely lacking in leadership skills. Some players lead by example with their actions, others by words. Unfortunately for me as an observer Brent doesn't seem to inspire players around him to lift their game or intensity for the team.

Edited by The O

I didnt know Demonland had become a Spelling Bee

Did I spell that right, Ben-Hur?

I find the misspelling of someone's surname to be lazy and disrespectful. Even more so when it has been a topic of considerable conversation.

Apparently you don't. I respect diversity.

I find the misspelling of someone's surname to be lazy and disrespectful. Even more so when it has been a topic of considerable conversation.

Apparently you don't. I respect diversity.

I would make an effort to spell anyones name correctly, i agree with you there, but i wouldnt pull people up on their mistakes just for the sake of creating contention. We are all here to discuss issues relating to the MFC, not ridicule people who may make a typo here and there. we all lead busy lives and perhaps individual posters are doing other things at the time. Lets just keep the discussions to the crux of the posts, not people typos. not a big deal

• Like 1

I would make an effort to spell anyones name correctly, i agree with you there, but i wouldnt pull people up on their mistakes just for the sake of creating contention. We are all here to discuss issues relating to the MFC, not ridicule people who may make a typo here and there. we all lead busy lives and perhaps individual posters are doing other things at the time. Lets just keep the discussions to the crux of the posts, not people typos. not a big deal

Spelling Trengove as Trengrove isn't a typo. You don't think it's important, but I do. Let's agree to differ.

Considering last yearDavey was being considered as captain will he even make the seniors for round 1?

Also considering there is another week of work ahead does anyone have any good comebacks for the tools at work giving me sh$t for having co captains??? One thought I have had is that we have 2 players who deserve to be captain not just one.

How about respecting spelling diversity. Some ppl can spell, others arent as good. No point sweating the small stuff

I don't "sweat" anything. I make casual judgments along the way.

And there is no such thing as "spelling diversity" when it comes to surnames. It's lazy and disrespectful. If you say "to" instead of "too", or "there" instead of "their" I couldn't give a rat's toss bag. If you spell "definitely" as "defiantly" I'll live with it. If you come up with "he's instead of "his" I'll cope. If you type he "could of" instead of "could have" I'll survive. And what's more I'll remain silent.

But FFS don't spell my captain's name incorrectly.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 2