Top Ten Could-a-been Champions for the MFC

bush demon

Matthew Febey

Much better footballer than his twin Stephen, yet didn't get the game time nor the reputation. He took the best mark of all time while playing for Tasmania in a state game, hence it didn't count for mark of the year and therefor doesn't get a look in the marks of the century they catalogue

that makes me think of peter yeo. wasn't he in the same category. also rod owen, ex-stkilda who moved pretty well for a while..

Yeah Rod Owen was pretty good actually. Young cordner looked a likely type but in truth was probabaly closer to spudville than an unfulfilled talent.

Edited by binman

Rocket Rod Owen shoulda woulda coulda, loved the beer and women far tooooo much to be a great footballer. Not sure he was ever sober even on game day.....

Edited by jako13

Travis Johnstone.

That third quarter in the semi final against the Crows in 2002 was the best quarter of football I have ever seen anyone play. He was inspired - no other footy player in the comp could have done what he did in that game. Can't believe we lost it.

But he went missing too often. So sad really because he had was a bloody good player. Should have remained a Dee all his career, and should've achieved much more than he did.

I agree wholly. He was so smooth when he had the ball in his hands but it became evident that when he was under pressure he would crumble, but when he had time in my opinion he was the best in the comp. Had the vision, the pace, the skill, not the application, i guess that beard up at Brisbane told the story of his career, CBF!

Newton.

Mark of the year and then a collection of some of the worst clangers ever seen in AFL. Missing that set shot for goal 4m out in that twilight game against the Crows when we booed Bock all day was beyond belief. We had not scored in half a match of football and he missed that. Then there was the running into goal against the Saints this year..... This guy led a charmed life there for about 5 years.

Warren Dean. Could kick a ball a mile , strong mark and good reader of the play. Pity he had such shonky knees . Good get Dnic, Paul Prymke always looked to me as if he was playing in slow motion but I can't remember him ever being towelled up. Considering that Prymke played against some pretty good CHF's in his first couple of years he had enormous upside.

Travis helped to win many games for our Club . Cops unfair criticism in many ways .

Ok , not a superstar but a matchwinner - often . Many players are servicable at best .

And how about his delivery ? Didn't waste much hey ?

Edited by Macca

My selection Darren Cuthbertson, kicked 20 odd goals in 3 weeks, never saw him again.

Yes- I remember him getting 8 at Waverley and thinking we had a champ . WTF happened?

Luke Beveridge also.

and Kevin Dyson-massive kick .

Cutho was a one trick pony who at least played his tricks on Collingwood. Part of the 1994 year when we had some truly big goal kicking efforts on show.

Second sentence correct, but the DC comet shot across the sky in 91, as I recall. He got a bag at Waverley against C'wood; they had belted us previous year at the G, and strangely, some of their players opined in the press after the game that we seemed soft. In the 91 game, the Feral supporters kept parroting this early on - it was very annoying. When DC took a screamer over Gayfer in the last quarter with the Demons in charge, I really enjoyed asking the question "Hey Darren, did his back feel soft?"

Oops Tim. Thks for the correction. I can remember that Gayfer stepping horse. used to watch Cutho do some great marks in the 2nds game before the main game.

Glenn Swann had a day out in a big victory against Geelong in the 70s.

Here are the details:

Round: 10 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 09-Jun-1973 2:10 PM Attendance: 19,900 Melbourne 2.6.18 8.13.61 16.16.112 20.19.139 Geelong 3.7.25 4.9.33 6.12.48 11.15.81

Glenn Swann kicked 8 goals that day. Diamond Jim kicked 6 goals too. Wow 14 goals from Coodabeens.

Played 13 games for 21 goals but disappeared from the VFL scene after that. Wore No 36. Records have him down as 197cm and 81kgs. Skinnier than Cale Morton.

Anyone remember Rodney McNabb? He was called up as a late replacement to play in a pre-season trial game against NM in the late 1960's / early 1970's. He bagged 6, and the article on page 3 of the 'Pink Paper' that Saturday evening was headed "Six Goals on Off-chance". I can remember it like it was yesterday .......... (what a pity I'm now struggling to remember the things that really did happen yesterday!).

ps. McNabb got another opportunity the next weekend, failed miserably, and never made the Melbourne list.

Second sentence correct, but the DC comet shot across the sky in 91, as I recall. He got a bag at Waverley against C'wood; they had belted us previous year at the G, and strangely, some of their players opined in the press after the game that we seemed soft. In the 91 game, the Feral supporters kept parroting this early on - it was very annoying. When DC took a screamer over Gayfer in the last quarter with the Demons in charge, I really enjoyed asking the question "Hey Darren, did his back feel soft?"

Yes i remember that day well...Anzac Day 1991...I was very lucky to be there, as i had rolled my car in an accident the day before!!!

I was a little bruised but i was not going to miss a Melbourne v Collingwood game!!

Travis helped to win many games for our Club . Cops unfair criticism in many ways .

Ok , not a superstar but a matchwinner - often . Many players are servicable at best .

And how about his delivery ? Didn't waste much hey ?

I've always been on the same wave length as you Macca, but not this time.

His disposal started off as a weapon, but the opposition quickly got onto it and it became his achilles heel.

My coodabeen was Greg Parke a fantastic mark but a dubious kick at the best of times. "If only"

The one I remember from the early days was Chris Aitken. He kicked five in the last round of '68 against Essendon who went on to play in the grand final. I heard from an ex-demon work colleague that he got injured after that so that was the end of our big marking boom full forward prospects. also found out off the same person that his brother was the saxophonist cool dude Wilbur Wilde who played on Daryl Somers show. (different surname)

Edited by bush demon

Anyone remember Rodney McNabb? He was called up as a late replacement to play in a pre-season trial game against NM in the late 1960's / early 1970's. He bagged 6, and the article on page 3 of the 'Pink Paper' that Saturday evening was headed "Six Goals on Off-chance". I can remember it like it was yesterday .......... (what a pity I'm now struggling to remember the things that really did happen yesterday!).

ps. McNabb got another opportunity the next weekend, failed miserably, and never made the Melbourne list.

I worked with Rod for about a year, one of life's true gentlemen, went on to be a recruiter for the dees, tells a great story of sitting with Jimmy in the stands of the MCG when Jim first came to MFC and explaining that we didn't actually own the ground but got to play there every second week.

Yes i remember that day well...Anzac Day 1991...I was very lucky to be there, as i had rolled my car in an accident the day before!!!

I was a little bruised but i was not going to miss a Melbourne v Collingwood game!!

If I'm not mistaken he took another screamer in the same game at the Wellington Road end of VFL Park ... this time over Denis Banks.

I remember it because even Banksy was impressed, offering Cuthy a couple of claps of applause.

• Like 1

I worked with Rod for about a year, one of life's true gentlemen, went on to be a recruiter for the dees, tells a great story of sitting with Jimmy in the stands of the MCG when Jim first came to MFC and explaining that we didn't actually own the ground but got to play there every second week.

Well I'll be buggered. I felt absolutely certain that I'd draw a blank on that one ...... and thanks spurs for that interesting anecdote! Gees some of us Demons fans are passionate about our club.