WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JAMES SELLAR

Demonland

For those who value his opinion, the Wiz (Colin Wisbey) rated him as the number 1 delisted prospect out there (although he had high raps for him before he was drafted if my memory serves me correct).

He is big, he has talent. Maybe a fresh start is just what he needs. Anyway - price is right.

Well I did like his thorough analysis - and your right he did have big wraps on him

"SELLAR, James (14 ADE) [3] 195cm skilled, well-built footballer with athleticism, smarts, hands, disposal. Flaky '06, intensity query but you don't physically lose what he had displayed prior. Very bottom-age. I'm prepared to virtually ignore '06 as he apparently had to endure various on and off-field difficulties. In the '04 and '05 U16 Champs, I considered him even more impressive than Gibbs. Started 2006 as #1 in my rankings (Gibbs #2). In the end, Gibbs' performances were just so compelling, and without the queries that Sellar's '06 form raised, that I had to slip Sellar behind but I dropped off him only marginally. Even in his "disappointing" '06, he kicked 4g in 1st half of his 1st SANFL Seniors game (as CHF!), beat the highly rated Gumbleton as CHB, and averaged 17 disposals in the U18 Champs. (How many 195cm types, let alone any who had just lost 8kg through illness, do that in any U18 Champs?). By comparison, we were all quite satisfied with the Champs form of Gumbleton, Hansen and Leunberger, and they averaged 15, 13, and 11 disposals respectively and Sellar's disposal was the best of the lot. He even had 15d in just the 2nd 1/2 of one Champs game (albeit as virtually a loose wingman). Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. He did NOT have a disappointing year for a bottom-age 195cm kid, even a highly rated one. He just had a disappointing year for Sellar, based on our expectations of him specifically. Why did we have such high expectations? Because of the talent he had shown over a 2 year period prior to that. I suspect he has a personal issue to conquer but I would have taken him on the assumption that he can, such is his upside. Should be very versatile but especially has the makings of an outstanding CHB (although his preference is CHF). An exciting, and rare, combination of not only leap, 195cm, marking strength, defensive and negating skills, cool head and smarts but, importantly, the pace and confidence to give regular run and linking out of defence and roost the ball long to a target. I foresee him regularly turning defence into goal-scoring opportunities. I also think he is more suited to the straight ahead aspects of CHB than the "stop/start" of CHF. Excellent ruck skills and could well be a good AFL ruckman/follower a la Goodes (without the freakishness), despite being only 195cm, as he has such a big leap and athleticism and he seems to enjoy ruck contests. Has virtually all the attributes of a modern CHF also and I do rate him highly in that role. Makes the right decisions. Good evasion. Good vision and disposal (including depth), even on the run. Good hurt factors. Trademarks are (1) Fluency - in everything. (Always looks to be doing every action "on the bit", effortlessly). (2) One-grab mark, positioning and timing well, then either a quick, accurate feed or immediately run off his opponent and do a fluent, long, probably accurate kick. (3) Run to link, moving with arms stiff and hanging down, seemingly moving in slow motion until you notice the opponent struggling to keep up"

Fair pump up - rated him higher than Gibbs as one stage, played CHB and beat no.2 pick in Gumbleton...

Hopefully we see him reach this potential!!

• Like 1

Well I did like his thorough analysis - and your right he did have big wraps on him

"SELLAR, James (14 ADE) [3] 195cm skilled, well-built footballer with athleticism, smarts, hands, disposal. Flaky '06, intensity query but you don't physically lose what he had displayed prior. Very bottom-age. I'm prepared to virtually ignore '06 as he apparently had to endure various on and off-field difficulties. In the '04 and '05 U16 Champs, I considered him even more impressive than Gibbs. Started 2006 as #1 in my rankings (Gibbs #2). In the end, Gibbs' performances were just so compelling, and without the queries that Sellar's '06 form raised, that I had to slip Sellar behind but I dropped off him only marginally. Even in his "disappointing" '06, he kicked 4g in 1st half of his 1st SANFL Seniors game (as CHF!), beat the highly rated Gumbleton as CHB, and averaged 17 disposals in the U18 Champs. (How many 195cm types, let alone any who had just lost 8kg through illness, do that in any U18 Champs?). By comparison, we were all quite satisfied with the Champs form of Gumbleton, Hansen and Leunberger, and they averaged 15, 13, and 11 disposals respectively and Sellar's disposal was the best of the lot. He even had 15d in just the 2nd 1/2 of one Champs game (albeit as virtually a loose wingman). Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. He did NOT have a disappointing year for a bottom-age 195cm kid, even a highly rated one. He just had a disappointing year for Sellar, based on our expectations of him specifically. Why did we have such high expectations? Because of the talent he had shown over a 2 year period prior to that. I suspect he has a personal issue to conquer but I would have taken him on the assumption that he can, such is his upside. Should be very versatile but especially has the makings of an outstanding CHB (although his preference is CHF). An exciting, and rare, combination of not only leap, 195cm, marking strength, defensive and negating skills, cool head and smarts but, importantly, the pace and confidence to give regular run and linking out of defence and roost the ball long to a target. I foresee him regularly turning defence into goal-scoring opportunities. I also think he is more suited to the straight ahead aspects of CHB than the "stop/start" of CHF. Excellent ruck skills and could well be a good AFL ruckman/follower a la Goodes (without the freakishness), despite being only 195cm, as he has such a big leap and athleticism and he seems to enjoy ruck contests. Has virtually all the attributes of a modern CHF also and I do rate him highly in that role. Makes the right decisions. Good evasion. Good vision and disposal (including depth), even on the run. Good hurt factors. Trademarks are (1) Fluency - in everything. (Always looks to be doing every action "on the bit", effortlessly). (2) One-grab mark, positioning and timing well, then either a quick, accurate feed or immediately run off his opponent and do a fluent, long, probably accurate kick. (3) Run to link, moving with arms stiff and hanging down, seemingly moving in slow motion until you notice the opponent struggling to keep up"

Fair pump up - rated him higher than Gibbs as one stage, played CHB and beat no.2 pick in Gumbleton...

Hopefully we see him reach this potential!!

Hopefully we will see him tomorrow training his ass off and trying to live up to is potential, this will be his final chance. If he can do one quarter of whet they say he can do we have a bargain.

Prendergast on SEN mentioned a few good reasons for bringing him into the club

- he's in the right demographic, in terms of age and physically mature body (I think he's 22 yr old, 196cm, 100kg)

- we were looking to bring in a couple of really big strong key position players into our club and we've done that now in Clark and Seller (I think we all agree we didn't have enough big KPPs in 2011, while we've got a few developing as teenage prospects, Clark and Seller can impact in 2012)

- Can play Key defender, key forward and has even pinch hit in the ruck

- Thinks that it could be a situation where getting out of Adelaide into a new environment could be the fresh start he needs

Thanks Redman for update- gee it is truly an unbelievable pick up.Very risky but the team must have thought he was a better risk than another young one.

Prendergast on SEN mentioned a few good reasons for bringing him into the club

- he's in the right demographic, in terms of age and physically mature body (I think he's 22 yr old, 196cm, 100kg)

- we were looking to bring in a couple of really big strong key position players into our club and we've done that now in Clark and Seller (I think we all agree we didn't have enough big KPPs in 2011, while we've got a few developing as teenage prospects, Clark and Seller can impact in 2012)

- Can play Key defender, key forward and has even pinch hit in the ruck

- Thinks that it could be a situation where getting out of Adelaide into a new environment could be the fresh start he needs

Getting out of Adelaide would be a priority for anyone that lived there I would expect.

On a more serious note we have always looked like a small team and I have talked about this with my son forever; we always look smaller than the opposition and it seems like boys playing men most of the time.

Edited by RobbieF
  • Like 1

On Bigfooty RandB makes an interesting points...

"Only thing I can think of with Sellar (besides a possible Neil Craig influence) is that we will struggle to delist players in a couple of years who have their best clearly behind them. I.e. we have a young list and there is no point taking on more kids simply to cut them.

Instead of a kid at pick 54 who may take more than 2 years before we even know if they're any good we rolled the dice on Sellar who we'll know about quicker. If he doesn't cut it we simply ditch him in 2 years and free up a senior list spot for a better pick rather than wait it out on an unlikely kid at 54 for 3 or 4 years only to find out he isn't up to it and subsequently clog the list"

Gee that's intuitive. I like it.

Demonland was quiet over the past few weeks, drafting Sellar was obviously a ploy by the club to boost activity here.

Isn't everything the club does to pump up demonland?

Speaking of quiet. Where did you go? I haven't seen your name in ages.

Thanks Redman - definitely was a high appraisal.

I've pasted some of his recent comments, courtesy of Extreme Black 'n' White:

The Sellar seen at AFL level hasn't been the Sellar he was (and hopefully still is) capable of being.

He's had stints of injury. He's also had to battle to get on top of things mentally. His confidence has all but evaporated and he's rarely been given any sort of a continuous stint in (IMO) his best role viz CHB.

In short, his trademark underage traits - composure, smarts, off-field leadership, presence - have been absent since about mid 2006. That's 5 years. Hence, taking him now would require a decent leap of faith re the likelihood of him achieving his original potential. I was very bullish about him when drafted. He is *capable* of being a very good CHF or even Leroy role. It would certainly need the right coaching and mentoring / psychological support but it's a punt that I would still very readily take. The key IMHO is whether he can get his mind healthy again and have his currently-fractured self-belief restored.

In summary (IMHO): His upside is extremely attractive, the likelihood of him achieving that upside is now probably 50/50 at best, but he will come cheap and, at worst, will offer fairly versatile big-man depth.

Our style of play would suit him more too, especially as a defender. His 21 games for Crows saw him play in virtually every tall-man role, only rarely playing is his most-suited role (CHB). Further, his SANFL development saw him most often played out of position too.

If(!) we can lift his self-confidence, he could be real value. Back to your question, the Pies culture and track record re significantly improving "unfashionable" / NQR players is outstanding. I respect Neil Craig and Adelaide but they don't have such a track record (particularly recently) in that respect.

Sellar might turn out to be a "bust" but he has the talent and athletic capability to be a serious player if he/we can get his headspace (and resulting confidence) right.

I like the sound of Sellars.

A real big body at CHB. We genuinely have needed that. Riv can go back to being the third tall up and floating around reading the play.

Thanks Redman for update- gee it is truly an unbelievable pick up.Very risky but the team must have thought he was a better risk than another young one.

I don't mind this seletion at all. His age is perfect & he is huge, hopefully he can play now he has escaped "The City of Churches "

JCB - How are you doing champ? I am seriously thinking you should roll the dice & grab him in your 2012 Ultimate Footy squad!

All 3 Draft Picks have a defensive flavor

Neeld is a Defence First Coach IMO

We got Mitch Clark at the cost of pick 12 which was a pure need decision

Most of us would be happy with getting Clark

Sellar is a big unit and with elite fitness could even fill the role of Utility like Stefan Martin

Craig would have assisted in the decision and obviously being picked at 54 confirms Sellar has ticked enough boxes to satisfy our recruiting team

Quite content with picking up a ready to go Sellar

Centre Half Back perhaps

At pick 54 in a poor draft, we're lucky to have found someone who will possibly play a handful of games. That's more than I expected us to.

At least he's somewhat of a known commodity and comes with a ready-made body.

(And if nothing else, he has made our list at least 30% more appealing to females)

• Like 1

Apart from being a highly rated junior player he was also an elite volleyballer. James played in the Australian National Youth Team for Volleyball in 2006. Mostly because he went to the predominantly volleyball orientated sports school, Brighton Grammar (South Aus).....

Not sure this actually means anything, but a bit of info for you all.

What I will say is a kid who's spent his entire life in Adelaide deserves to get out of that place. Melbourne might just be the making of the man. lets hope so!!

I'm quite happy with the club taking a shot on Sellar. Obviously NC will have been able to give a thorough assessment of, not only his capabilitie and deficiencies, but also the reason he didn't crack it at Adelaide and his attitude to the game and training. To add to that, as others have mentioned, pick 54 in a lean draft isn't the top priority in a recruiters life, so can't hurt to take a considered punt really, can it? I must say that I do like the sound of 22 yrs, 196cm and 95 kegs. Welcome to the Dees James.

• Like 1

From the article on melbournefc.com.au:

"The 22-year-old stands 196cm and 98kg and was taken with a view to support fellow recruit Mitch Clark and developing forward Jack Watts.

Prendergast said the Demons identified a need to add developed bodies to their attack.

"The 23-year-old demographic is something we don't have a lot of. We took four talls last year and our last two picks in 2009 were Max Gawn and Jack Fitzpatrick so they're all really young. We've got Frawley and Rivers who are the key tall defenders but not a lot of experienced talls in our forward line," he said.

"James can go forward and he can have a run in the ruck so his versatility is a great appeal as well."

So my assumption was correct, he was brought in to provide depth of big bodied key position forwards. In 2011 we had none. We played Watts, Jurrah, Petterd and Green out of position and they suffered as a result, in particular Jurrah. With two 23 year olds coming to the club, both around 100kg and 196cm+, we have a couple of options, which will allow Neeld to play the game plan he invisiges.

We have 4 Key position prospects developing at our club at the moment- Cook, Fizpatrick, Davis and McDonald. All of them are teenagers and won't be ready to dominate AFL for at least 2-3 years.

James Seller can make in impact straight away if he is needed

There are a few things to note about Sellar:

1. He will be one of the most infuriating players on the list. He is only a 50/50 proposition when he has the ball in his hands, so will make a few mistakes that some supporters will hate.

2. For a key forward, he is a massive unit. Tall KPP like Clark, makes him very hard to outmark in a contest.

3. He's very quick. He can present up to the ball well because he has good speed.

4. He's a strong mark. He can often monster his opponent, but also good when he presents up at the ball. Certainly when he pushes towards the ball carrier, with his size and athleticism, he is very rarely outmarked by his man.

With him and Clark, we now have two players up forward that can provide contests and bring the ball to ground against multiple defenders. His selection certainly makes the style of game we are playing clearer. And Watts, Jurrah and Howe are going to love it!

• Like 1

Worth the risk at pick 54 IMO, Big Bodied players is what we need and we have one while others develop, Neeld is going to pla a Pies, Eagles press type game IMO and lets face it we wont do that b bombing it in to Green, Petterd, Jurrah and Howe. Eagles go long into their orward line and have Kennedy, Lynch, Darling & a resting Cox or Natanui contesting, while the Pies have Cloke, Dawes, Brown & sometimes Jolly. This gives us plenty of tall options even to swing back playing against the sides with the big forwards as we really only had Frawley & Garland with Rivers fighting out of his weight.

I have had faith in Neelds decisions so far, doesn't care for reputations and seems to know what he wants to fit the plan and lets face it no one would have known more about this kid and his ability than Neil Craig. So once agin worth the risk I say