I think the Neeld connection, along with the extra money and draft picks left from the Scully departure gives us a significant chance of landing Chris Dawes or someone of his ilk. What would we be willing to give up for him, or would we rather go all out after Jaeger O'Meara? I like Dawes, but think his success is a bi-product of a brilliant midfield...which we don't exactly possess. I would prefer the club to get the midfield right first before they invest so much in a key forward. Thoughts?

DAWES A WANTED MAN

With the rumours already of Penddles, with Neeld already here and McGuire already crying about our chase of Malthouse, the more of Collingwood we raid, the merrier, would love to see his reaction if some of these rumours eventuate.

IMO, hes the product we need at the end of our midfield, well certainly his type, we need someone to provide a forward target on a constant basis, as well as take the best defender. The type we certainly need!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dawes-a-wanted-man-20110919-1khys.html

He is being courted by a number of clubs according to the Age, which not surprisingly that includes us. The Pies are struggling to find the cap room for him. Melbourne and the Bulldogs have made approaches, with the Dogs looking for a Barry replacement. The Blues are also on the look out for a forward, but Judd's legitimate pay packet, along with their other players has them close to the cap.

But with Neeld now at Melbourne, who has already spoken of gaps in some of the roles required to be filled in his game plan, one of which has to be a strong key forward, I can see us making a strong play for Dawes. Neeld said himself, he'll tell the recruiting department what he wants, and to go and get it. Only 23 years old, fits in with our long-term plans, as well as filling a short-term need.

1st round pick would get it done if he wants to leave I'd say, either in this years draft, or one of our compensation selections.

Thoughts? I can't think of too many other key forwards of his quality that would be available apart from Fev.

I think the Neeld connection, along with the extra money and draft picks left from the Scully departure gives us a significant chance of landing Dawes or someone of his ilk. What would we be willing to give up for him, or would we rather go all out after Jaeger O'Meara? I like Dawes, but think his success is a bi-product of a brilliant midfield...which we don't exactly possess. I would prefer the club to get the midfield right first before they invest so much in a key forward. Thoughts?

http://www.theage.co...0919-1khys.html

I'm with you Monde'. IMO Dawes whilst a good forward is Not a Carey. But a good piece of the Pie.

I'd rather go after Pendlebury Big time.

We can go after another cheaper tall this year thru trades.

Our young forward players will make good. It's our small forwards that I'm concerned with, we have no Betts or Garletts.

Good to see were not mucking around and are straight on the front foot. Would ( or is that 'wood ) be a very handy acquisition :)

The big bodied marking (or bringing to ground) forward is definitely the first hole filling priority it seems, a la Mitch Clark, Chris Dawes, Jesse White, Kurt Tippett. Do we have a young one in the making? I'm not confident, but I think Max Gawn's development is a key to it, given the freeing up of Mark Jamar, or him being a forward target on his own. I would love to think Stef's further development could see him be a stay at home forward, but ???? And do Lucas Cook or Jack Fitzpatrick look likely? Not so sure. Jack Watts will be able to play that role in 2 to 3 years I'm sure, but his abilities are so multifactored that I'm sure he'll be used as a higher possession player.

Given that Carlton are after exactly the same type of player, it's going to be tricky to hook one of them this year. They always seem to come up with the $$$$ for the big trades, don't they?

Wonder if Dawes has a really really good relationship with our new coach??? Hmmm the possibilties of raiding the magpie nest with our new magpie insider - pendles next year anyone?

With a distinct lack of big bodied and skilled/experienced forwards up for grabs, we MUST go all out to get Dawes. As soon as I read that article this morning Neeld's working relationship with Dawes was the first thing I thought of as well; hopefully that could help to swing a deal.

I really don't understand all the love on this site for Dawes. Sure, he's a serviceable key forward in one of the most dominant sides of recent times but is by no means a superstar and definitely not worth a first round pick. He's kicked 50 goals aggregate in the last 2 years with the Pies midfield and Cloke taking the best back. Would much prefer we trade a first round pick for an established young mid (like Josh Kennedy) or a gun 17yo (Jaeger O'Meara) than risk it on a plodder who is currently at his absolute peak trade value in the marketplace. He will never be more expensive.

• Like 1

Dawes is a pretty good No. 2 forward. I don't see him as the go to number one key forward as he does not have that many variations if he is having a bad night. For what we will have to give up to get him it wouldn't be worth it.

Guest bonjohn

With a distinct lack of big bodied and skilled/experienced forwards up for grabs, we MUST go all out to get Dawes. As soon as I read that article this morning Neeld's working relationship with Dawes was the first thing I thought of as well; hopefully that could help to swing a deal.

With Scully going our coffers are full,we need a big strong competitor at half forward.Someone who presents and brings the ball to ground.With our luck i just do not see it happening.

What a compliment he would be to Jurrah,Watts,Sylvia and bennel (if can put that Rolls Royce brilliance to consistent use.)

I think when our club prioritises what they seek, I'm not sure they'll be trading for someone like this as a priority. We are so far behind in terms of a quality midfield and leadership it's not funny. I think these are two areas that would be looked at first. We need to replace Scully. And those thinking that we've got Viney coming in the following year...it's not enough.

We have Watts, Cook, McDonald, Martin simmering away in terms of maturity for big mobile forwards.

A lot of people are arguing that by recruiting Dawes we'll be slowing the development of Cook, Fitzpatrick etc. I'm of the opinion that it would increase the competition for spots in the side.

Every week we must pick the best available side. Thinking hypothetically and down the track, if Dawes is keeping our other key forwards out of the side, they should probably look for a new home.

A lot of people are arguing that by recruiting Dawes we'll be slowing the development of Cook, Fitzpatrick etc. I'm of the opinion that it would increase the competition for spots in the side.

Every week we must pick the best available side. Thinking hypothetically and down the track, if Dawes is keeping our other key forwards out of the side, they should probably look for a new home.

I don't rate Dawes, as others seemingly do in high regard. Looks good occassionally in a power outfit at the Pies IMO. But that IMO has much to do with the quality midfield and team, as well as a handy KP player in Cloke.

I'd prefer as more of a priority to build a power midfield to supply our forwards. Strong midfields with good leadership win premierships. We don't have either atm.

at the end of the day, Mark Neeld will be the only guy at the club to know whether Dawes is really worth pursuing.

if we end up making a play for him I have full faith that Neeld has made the correct decision.

p.s if you cant tell, i couldn't be happier with our new coach!

Where did this Pendlebury poaching come from - he has signed an extension with Pies for a year

You hit the nail right on top.

He didn't sign a 3 or so Yr contract this year. He signed for only one year.

Does this say anything to you? Maybe he's open to offers for 2013 +...

Where did this Pendlebury poaching come from - he has signed an extension with Pies for a year

The obvious implication is that we have compo picks which could be used this year for Dawes or next year for Pendles when his contract expires, on the assumption that Collingwood were willing to do either deal.

Chris Dawes would have played Football with Jack Watts at Brighton Grammar...If we do chase him, at least we will know that "Coach Neeld" rates him highly.

Edited by why you little