Another way IF we really want Dawes ... Trade M.Warnock to Carlton for one of their picks (not sure what, low 2nd round maybe)

Bate to the filth with the Carlton Pick. Job done.

We still have a good chance for a quality Mid with our compo picks

PS Newton can carry Baters kitbag. he'll be looking for a new home

Yeah... no.

Other clubs know what we have to offer.

They know we have 2 compo picks.

In any trade we try to do, they will try to hold out for those.

If we refuse, we'll struggle to get any deals done.

Disagree, if they are off the table, they are off the table. Case in point when the blues had picks 1 & 3 and were after Judd, pick 1 was off the table... Eagles accepted this and got the trade done...

Disagree, if they are off the table, they are off the table. Case in point when the blues had picks 1 & 3 and were after Judd, pick 1 was off the table... Eagles accepted this and got the trade done...

I'd also add that if Dawes struggles to agree to terms with the Pies and they're looking to trade him, if our offer trumps Carlton's or anyone elses, then we get the deal done, regardless of whether the comp picks are involved or not.

Hell no!

Some seriously underestimate the value of these compo picks.

Dawes would be handy, but not at any cost.

We got pick 10(ish) and pick 12 (ish - depending on where we finish).

If we can get a star or a proven KPP with those picks we do the deal.

Pick 10 and 12 are no certain things.

at the end of the day, Mark Neeld will be the only guy at the club to know whether Dawes is really worth pursuing.

if we end up making a play for him I have full faith that Neeld has made the correct decision.

p.s if you cant tell, i couldn't be happier with our new coach!

Very good call, but. . .

I don't rate Dawes, as others seemingly do in high regard. Looks good occassionally in a power outfit at the Pies IMO. But that IMO has much to do with the quality midfield and team, as well as a handy KP player in Cloke.

I'd prefer as more of a priority to build a power midfield to supply our forwards. Strong midfields with good leadership win premierships. We don't have either atm.

I feel exactly the same. No deal from me.

I would be after him in a big way.

But get ready to pay through the nose unless Neeld can get him to say he wants to come to us...

I don't think I'll be ready to pay through the nose.

Someone convince me, please. I need convincing.

I want a more efficient and quality midfield.

Give me a Goddard, and I'll take Dawes.

Yeah... no.

Other clubs know what we have to offer.

They know we have 2 compo picks.

In any trade we try to do, they will try to hold out for those.

If we refuse, we'll struggle to get any deals done.

Agreed.

Those two compo picks are a pretty valuable commodity and imagine the club will use them to secure something very special if available this year, or if not sometime down the track. Who knows with repositioning for upcoming free agency (creating room in salary cap etc) , probably to commence this year, we already have a reasonable hand at the table with pick 12 and a few trades to throw in with it if necessary.

So doubt if we would pay overs for something moderate this year. Might be better to go for broke next year as our window gets closer.

If it were a choice I would get Goddard.

But life is rarely a stark choice - equally attainable.

You go after the areas you are lacking in.

We lack a quality midfield and leaders.

We also lack a strong body in the forward line.

I would like to fix our midfield but reality may not make that possible.

I'd also add that if Dawes struggles to agree to terms with the Pies and they're looking to trade him, if our offer trumps Carlton's or anyone elses, then we get the deal done, regardless of whether the comp picks are involved or not.

The Blues don't get trumped often.

We will share Our 'Open Window' period against them, we have to start to win the players we want.

I don't think Goddard is the player we need,,,, except for his Leadership Quality.

IMO we need ball extractors and class players to deliver it.

I like Goddard, But IMO we'd be better off with a Sam Mitchell type, or a Bartel style player.

Goddard is IMO, an in between type, a utility Mid/Forward.

Dawes type we do need.

IMO we need a Gaff, Boak or Dangerfield. Inside Strong ball winners.

I really dont see the attraction with Dangerfield, i would take him for one of our first rounders but no more..... dont think he offers alot, dowsnt get enough of the pill and is at the same stage in his career as Morton, Boak and Gaff moreso but Boak just re-signed with the Power i believe, and Gaff is only 1 year in so i think it is more of a dream tbh

I am warming to the idea of a Sewell type for 4 years, if he only cost 1 first rounder, would add some size, experience and leadership to our midfield

Dawes would be nice and if Neeld wants him he would have value imo, he would know, but i think 2 great experienced users of teh ball could really lift our team, and make alot of our medium forwards seem better than last year so it a hard call imo

If anyone wants an argument for Dawes, seriously, watch the prelim from Friday night again. Time and time again he takes the big pack marks and muscles his way through the contest. Don't care that 'oh he would get the best defender where he's only getting the 2nd best at Collingwood because of Cloke' - because when you're winning 6-man marking contests it doesn't matter whether you have the best defender or not.

He is what we need, pure and simple.

If anyone wants an argument for Dawes, seriously, watch the prelim from Friday night again. Time and time again he takes the big pack marks and muscles his way through the contest. Don't care that 'oh he would get the best defender where he's only getting the 2nd best at Collingwood because of Cloke' - because when you're winning 6-man marking contests it doesn't matter whether you have the best defender or not.

He is what we need, pure and simple.

Some people will argue that if we can get good delivery into the forward line you dont need a moster forward is more the point, rather than simply because its Dawes

What do we do, do we go for Dawes and wait for midfield to mature, or do we go for a midfielder and wait for our forward line to mature?

Cos we need an experienced mid and a big forward.

The fact that we have such an efficient forward line and such a pooey midfield sways me in the way of taking a mid. But who's available?

It's all just too confusing.

I really dont see the attraction with Dangerfield, i would take him for one of our first rounders but no more..... dont think he offers alot, dowsnt get enough of the pill and is at the same stage in his career as Morton, Boak and Gaff moreso but Boak just re-signed with the Power i believe, and Gaff is only 1 year in so i think it is more of a dream tbh

I am warming to the idea of a Sewell type for 4 years, if he only cost 1 first rounder, would add some size, experience and leadership to our midfield

Dawes would be nice and if Neeld wants him he would have value imo, he would know, but i think 2 great experienced users of teh ball could really lift our team, and make alot of our medium forwards seem better than last year so it a hard call imo

The attaction is we need to win clearences. We need physical strength & size inside to win more first ball.

They're aren't many on offer.

*If we are to add to our experience stocks against more U-18's, we have to look to trade, in.

Edit: *Dream! Of course it's a dream, a wish. The same want, that is driven by the dream of a Premiership Flag.

Edited by dee-luded

And Neeld coming fresh out of the reigning premiers midfield would see ours as weak and inept. We get SMASHED in clearances.

I understand the need for a big bodied forward but if you can't get it to him it is utterly useless.. like having an excel with a spoiler!

If it were a choice I would get Goddard.

If it were a choice, I'd get Swan! ..... Seriously there is no way we could get Goddard ... and why people keep mentioning Gaff just because he was a Melbourne Supporter ( like Judd) is beyond me - get real!!

Because of Collingwood's salary cap pressures Dawes might just be a chance ..... but Collingwood would drive a hard bargain. He is the sort of player we need.

What do we do, do we go for Dawes and wait for midfield to mature, or do we go for a midfielder and wait for our forward line to mature?

Cos we need an experienced mid and a big forward.

The fact that we have such an efficient forward line and such a pooey midfield sways me in the way of taking a mid. But who's available?

The club had a go at getting Hale, but the Hawks put up the compo pick and trumped us. Dawes is 23 and fits the age bracket nicely. If the rumours are accurate and Collingwood cannot fit him in, we're in the market, and they don't come around often; particularly Dawes' size.

On the other side of the ledger, I'd love to obtain an experienced midfielder who can lead our group and stand up when it matters. Hard to come by I know.... but when a particular guy is "oohh-ing and aaahh-ing" like the quality of Goddard is - it's hard not to listen. In fact, I'm all ears. I'd trade out for someone like him. But essentially, it's up to him and his club. We'll wait and see on that. He might not be the in and under type but he's an architect who can be utilised to play everywhere. Rare comodity. If you haven't seen him in a game that matters, grab a copy of last years Grand Final draw.

The other important aspect is we have two compo picks that would make other clubs drool, including GWS. And the U17 mini-draft is worth looking at when we're considering our future midfield (Ref: O'Meara/Crouch). Together with pick 12 and a handful of players potentially up for trade, our club is armed to be active.

I hope the club comes through, without hitting a landmine or two.

So it's fair to say the dream is an experienced mid, whilst the big bodied forward is still required, but not as important?

Sounds like we are a fair chance to get Dawes if we offer him 2 mill over 4 years- it may be less than what Syd and GWS are offering but with us he doesn't have to move. I like that we have a good hand at this draft table. Thank you snotty nosed young man who will go unnamed!

In the words of the little girl in the Old El Paso ad: "Why can't we have both?"

Who says we need to choose between a big forward and an experienced mid? I'd be trying to get one of each because they'll both improve our team more than a draftee.