Demonland

Last year I had a personal running joke of calling Jones 'twinkle toes' because all of a sudden he had taken up the habit of doing little side-steps and swerves. Took him a little while to get the hang of it, but now it is a part of his game. Fact is, Nathan Jones is disciplined enough to target deficiencies in his game and make improvements, which is a damn big deal.

As for this season, the running joke (and I know I'm not alone in this one) is asking 'so who is on the bottom of that pack?'. Nathan Jones every time.

If the 'problem' in our midfield is that playersaren't going hard enough, are you saying that it is Jones' fault because everyone else is just 'letting' him have a go at it so he looks good?

I really thought the Jones bashing would stop once he was a clear front runner for our Best and Fairest and contributing consistently in our most deficient area.

• Like 3

Good to see Jones and the MIDFIELD PROBLEM have read and actioned this thread.

A more humble and wise person would admit thier mistake and enjoy the fact that thier being wrong was a good outcome for the football club.

A more humble and wise person would.

EDIT: Are you YM?

Edited by dandeeman

I would've thought Moloney is the one who needs to lift. He's way worse at picking the right time to try and break a tackle.

• Like 1

I would've thought Moloney is the one who needs to lift. He's way worse at picking the right time to try and break a tackle.

He and Trenners seemed to be moving in slow motion tonight. Good off the ball but far too slow once they had it. Last season they were arguably our two most reliable midfielders. If we can bring them back up to par, throw in Strauss and Gysberts to provide a bit more class off the boot...Clark, Jurrah and Petterd up front....bugger me, we'll start to look alright again.

Edited by P_Man
  • Like 1

Haven't been bothered reading this thread, due to my thoughts that this thread would be super negative about a kid who has fast become one of the most improved players in the game. Tonight, especially in the first half he was immense. He will be our first player in a long time to be classed as A grade, in the elite category. I am loving his work rate at present

• Like 3

Good to see Jones and the MIDFIELD PROBLEM have read and actioned this thread.

If you were paying attention tonight you'll have noticed that Nathans game was no different to any of his others. First hands on the ball, trying to break into space or get it to teammate in better position.

The difference tonight was he had teammates in support, was able to find space from some stoppages and when forward early on was able to show his real value by kicking two very classy goals, proving that he doesn't try to do "too much" and is in fact a capable footballer. Your opening post is still rubbish.

Edited by diesel

Nup. He's ben playing the game like a 2 year old and getting pushed off the ball for years. Now he IS of the right age to be pushing aside kids... would make no sense to move him on now, or look to drop him.

Your point is well made, but there's room for a Jones if he gets the outside support. It's the Mortons and Daveys who need to remember they're good runners... I've been loving Watts in the clinches lately, but even he is a great asset delivering ball into fifty. Horses for courses...

He got a little rev up from Malthouse a few days or a week back.

It may have had an efffect.

It's also easy to forget that Jones is only 24. I know it feels like he's been around for an eternity, but his best footy is ahead of him. Each year the weaknesses in his game seem to diminish a bit more. I couldn't be happier with his effort and his form this year.

• Like 5

Seems as though Jones is buying into the new coaching team and game style.

I know Mark Neeld made the comment that there's about half a dozen Melbourne players that they beleive they can turn into genuine A grade players. Well after his form so far this year and his game last night I reckon Jones might be one of them!

Still only 24 years of age I think and his best footy ahead of him. I'm still keeping positive about this Melbourne team!

• Like 1

Huge effort last night. Just huge.

He really did seem to impose himself on the game at times and seemed to contribute all night

I also saw him noit only impose but contribute with linking play or shepherding and just creating space.

Not sure who his opponent/s was/ were but Im sure watters would not have been happy that Jones did contribute.

Also I thought Jamar did distribute the ball more widely and Jones was often able to benefit from that.

All in all agreat part of the progress

Lets continue that intensity next week

GO DEES

I have said this before but a given our midfield woes I think this needs to be looked at more closely. At this stage Nathan Jones is perhaps our most courageous and hard at it player and always gives a 100%. But in his main role around clearances ands stoppages he is a liability and not helped because he gets the ball more than most others.Too slow to make a decision and his first instinct usually is to protect the ball. Sticks it under his arms and try's to bulldoze out packs and usually goes to ground. The consequences are the ball gets locked up, fudges his disposal or gets caught. He's so slow in making up his mind that there is always easy pressure swooping in around him. Hence clean disposals by him to advantage are a rarity. He remind me so much of Gary Ablett in the clinches but the difference is that Gary raises his head when he gets the ball and looks for an option as first instinct.

I love the guy but he's got to do more with the ball ad quicker. He's strangling our midfield at the moment.

You can't be serious! This is a [censored] take right!

Guest gidon

He is definately improving, but is still a B grade midfielder. Having said this he could become an A grader if he shows consistently. He has A grade games but needs his good games to become week in week out to be an A grader. I have faith in Jones as i know he has the work ethic and determination to get better.

He is alot smarter than years gone by. Maybe Neelds more simplified game plan is working for him

Good times ahead for Jones

Guest Jackie

Must be a co-incidence but I would rate Nathan Jones game against the Saints as the best I have seen from him for at least the first 3 quarters anyway. Looked a bit sore towards the finish. Interestingly enough he was more of an outside/forward player this week with few appearances in Jamar's shadow and far more creative and damaging with his disposal. He is well on the way to becoming a complete footballer. His field and goal kicking is becoming more reliable than it ever was.

Edited by Jackie
  • Like 1

Must be a co-incidence but I would rate Nathan Jones game against the Saints as the best I have seen from him for at least the first 3 quarters anyway. Looked a bit sore towards the finish. Interestingly enough he was more of an outside/forward player this week with few appearances in Jamar's shadow and far more creative and damaging with his disposal. He is well on the way to becoming a complete footballer. His field and goal kicking is becoming more reliable than it ever was.

and they say a week is a long time in footy Jackie, didn't you start this thread

• Like 1

Guest Jackie

and they say a week is a long time in footy Jackie, didn't you start this thread

We did not get to see much of him trying to wrestle several gorillas while trying to hatch the ball at the same.