Malthouse....the conundrum

beelzebub

Where do you think Mickey will end up for 2012  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is very interesting. Matthews has been out of coaching for 3 years. This is exactly the same amount of time he had between his Collingwood and Brisbane jobs. He is 59 - only a year older than Malthouse. We need a strong leader who can really grab hold of the place. Tactically, he is perhaps a little out of date, but that could be overcome with a decent contemporary coaching panel. I think $1mill a year for 3 years might get the job done. He is currently assisting the Crows with their selection process - maybe it'll get him thinking about getting involved again. Worth a thought!

Warren were u watching AFL360 cause what u said was basically what Robbo said?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep but its fun and u seem to change your view a little as u comment on each post.

It's hard to stay informed when there are so many contradictory reports coming out at the same time lately. For what it's worth I would like a top line coach, but failing that I'd go the Viney route. I don't necessarily have a preference over MM or Lyon. Or LM, hell even Choko Williams (as I may have been also said in another thread)

We've gotten to the point where any coach who could shake us up will be fine! B)

Hey if anyone puts forth a logical and well argued point I am easily persuaded :) Unless I feel strongly apposed to it that is!

Keep in mind Lyon apparently was never officially offered anythiing. It was all "talky -talky' via the manangement .Lyon ( Ross) never conceded anything after all. Whos to say the 'leaks' weren't all Melbournes doing. Throw a dog a bone and the Media went barking everywhere. Look I realise its all supposition . All a bit of fun.lol

Whilst im not disagreeing, if we were going to go down this route can we save ourselves a lot of cash and let Viney do that. I mean if they are just going to be a motivator and someone else is going to do the crux of the work?

Yeah i doubt it, one has won about 10 premierships and is in the AFL team of the century, ALL TIME GREAT

Not to take away form Viney, but he would just add to the MFC boys club mentality, we need a serious shake up from outside of the MFC, someone who inspires and demands respect

LM would do this, as would MM

Yeah i doubt it, one has won about 10 premierships and is in the AFL team of the century, ALL TIME GREAT

Not to take away form Viney, but he would just add to the MFC boys club mentality, we need a serious shake up from outside of the MFC, someone who inspires and demands respect

LM would do this, as would MM

You are taking away from Viney if you are suggesting he not good enough because he is part of a "boys club mentality" hmmm

Yeah LM is highly accoladed, but Viney has been assistant coach at a premiership team more recently.

I get what your saying but at the same time it's very unfair discarding an unknown just because he is a part of some "boys club," it's pretty much discrimination in a way.

Matthews was basically summed up in this article:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/leigh-matthews-ticks-dees-boxes/story-e6frf9jf-1226137241269

Main points: Develop a strong culture, have the tactical plays done by assistant coaches...more of an Alex Ferguson type of role.

It could work, just would need to be setup correctly. As long a Leigh has the fire inside to change the team/club.

Who on earth knows what's going on behind closed doors. I wouldn't be too upset if we got Matthews as our 'director of coaching' with one of Burns/Neeld/Sanderson/etc to fulfil the senior assistant role for a few years then they step into the senior gig. Who knows, we might even wander into a situation similar to Collingwoods' predicament right now. If that were to be the case, i bloody wouldn't be complaining!

Failing that, maybe look at Craig as the director and get one of the senior assistants to drive the bus.

You are taking away from Viney if you are suggesting he not good enough because he is part of a "boys club mentality" hmmm

Yeah LM is highly accoladed, but Viney has been assistant coach at a premiership team more recently.

I get what your saying but at the same time it's very unfair discarding an unknown just because he is a part of some "boys club," it's pretty much discrimination in a way.

Mate Mathews is Mathews, he has done it all and is an all time great, im not saying Viney couldnt do it just that Mathews would be one of the most inspirational people in football

And the "boys club" comment is more that i think the MFC needs a shake up, we need somebosy to drive us because the current ones havnt been working

Also Viney didnt seem keen 4 weeks ago... do you want to Coach the MFC it isnta spur of the moment decision, you either want it or you dont, which Viney may

Mate Mathews is Mathews, he has done it all and is an all time great, im not saying Viney couldnt do it just that Mathews would be one of the most inspirational people in football

And the "boys club" comment is more that i think the MFC needs a shake up, we need somebosy to drive us because the current ones havnt been working

Also Viney didnt seem keen 4 weeks ago... do you want to Coach the MFC it isnta spur of the moment decision, you either want it or you dont, which Viney may

Nobody is born a coach and all great coaches started somewhere, and once again you've managed to place Viney in the no basket because of our previous failed coaches- you need to learn how to consider individuals on their merits.

And I strongly believe that Viney always wanted the job, he just didn't know it. As silly as that sounds- I think he simply acquired the hunger for it.

Supposedly it's addictive. I imagine it would be!!

Well I reckon if we can't get Mick Malthouse then we should definitely look into asking if Leigh Matthews would consider coaching the Melbourne Demons.

There's no harm in asking is there?

The worse he can say is NO?

With Ross Lyon off the list...we have to start thinking outside the square.

Besides the slim possibility of Mick Malthouse there is only Mark Williams left....unless we wanted Rodney Eade?! :wacko:

I think Leigh Matthews would love the ultimate challenge of coaching the Demons to its first Premiership since 1964. :)

Nobody is born a coach and all great coaches started somewhere, and once again you've managed to place Viney in the no basket because of our previous failed coaches- you need to learn how to consider individuals on their merits.

And I strongly believe that Viney always wanted the job, he just didn't know it. As silly as that sounds- I think he simply acquired the hunger for it.

Supposedly it's addictive. I imagine it would be!!

Power is the strongest aphrodisiac - We need a Coach who is a great strategist and a great motivator - Mick - find a way to land the bloke - right now ! ( or in 9 - 16 days ! )

Warren were u watching AFL360 cause what u said was basically what Robbo said?

No, I don't watch it, but should I be worried that I am thinking along the same lines as Robbo? I've just read his article in the Hun this morning as well. I actually emailed Cameron Schwab about Matthews about a month ago. Cam usually replies promptly but hasn't to this one yet.

No, I don't watch it, but should I be worried that I am thinking along the same lines as Robbo? I've just read his article in the Hun this morning as well. I actually emailed Cameron Schwab about Matthews about a month ago. Cam usually replies promptly but hasn't to this one yet.

I actually like Robbo so i would take it as a compliment.

If schwab does reply let us know what he says.

If we don't have a coach announced by the Grand Final, consider MM in the bag I reckon. If MM is a 100% no officially, then we will appoint someone else soon.

its a bit like the fathoming of a Black Hole in a way isnt it. i.e We know really only what we know from what we dont know. You would think if someone else wed know a lot more about a process and 'possibles' than we do. ...Imean..theres absolutely nothing really, other than the inference we supposedly offered two well established coaches deals. Did we ? or were just enough ducks lined up to make it look that way ?

Its almost as if Jim and Eddie shook hands ages ago and have kept mum ever since. Serves niether any to give too much focus to Mick but does to allow contrived speculation about others..

Ahh..love the intrigue ..hehe

its a bit like the fathoming of a Black Hole in a way isnt it. i.e We know really only what we know from what we dont know. You would think if someone else wed know a lot more about a process and 'possibles' than we do. ...Imean..theres absolutely nothing really, other than the inference we supposedly offered two well established coaches deals. Did we ? or were just enough ducks lined up to make it look that way ?

Its almost as if Jim and Eddie shook hands ages ago and have kept mum ever since. Serves niether any to give too much focus to Mick but does to allow contrived speculation about others..

Ahh..love the intrigue ..hehe

We are leaving ourselves open to a massive let-down if we appoint someone before the Pies season is over, aren't we BB?

I hope we wait and test his resolve.

We can still pick up some very good assistants in mid-October if we need to - let's wait.

WAIT CAMERON, GARRY, AND DON!!

I apologise for my raised voice...

We are leaving ourselves open to a massive let-down if we appoint someone before the Pies season is over, aren't we BB?

I hope we wait and test his resolve.

We can still pick up some very good assistants in mid-October if we need to - let's wait.

WAIT CAMERON, GARRY, AND DON!!

I apologise for my raised voice...

I agree with you and BB on this I think it's what we are not saying as a club that speaks the loudest. Very much an appearance of smoke & mirrors. Surely given it's some 6/7 weeks now we have been looking for a new coach, formal interviews and presentations would have been conducted by now.

So there has possibly already been a handshake agreement with a coach involved in the finals. Including senior assistants there are a lot of them still involved.

I am also still not sold on the Ross Lyon St Kilda scenario, all talk but no commitment yet. Very much I want to stay I have told you(the board), the players and supporters. If you fail to provide a decent contract and I am forced to walk the blame falls back firmly on the board

Guest Jack Donaghy

Seriously, if Malthouse hasn't already given us a serious indication that he's interested in the job, we need to move onto the alternatives pronto.

I'm not into "waiting". Either he has given us an indication either way, or he hasn't.

No leaving this up to the chance that he "might" be interested, cos we'll be left with bloody Terry Wallace if that's the case (slight overexaggeration).

I agree with you and BB on this I think it's what we are not saying as a club that speaks the loudest. Very much an appearance of smoke & mirrors. Surely given it's some 6/7 weeks now we have been looking for a new coach, formal interviews and presentations would have been conducted by now.

So there has possibly already been a handshake agreement with a coach involved in the finals. Including senior assistants there are a lot of them still involved.

I am also still not sold on the Ross Lyon St Kilda scenario, all talk but no commitment yet. Very much I want to stay I have told you(the board), the players and supporters. If you fail to provide a decent contract and I am forced to walk the blame falls back firmly on the board

I am less convined of the subterfuge than BB, though.

My mail is that Garry spoke to Neeld yesterday - not sure whether that is a 'formal interview' or whatever but I am concerned that there is the worry that the next post of have quoted has...

Seriously, if Malthouse hasn't already given us a serious indication that he's interested in the job, we need to move onto the alternatives pronto.

I'm not into "waiting". Either he has given us an indication either way, or he hasn't.

No leaving this up to the chance that he "might" be interested, cos we'll be left with bloody Terry Wallace if that's the case (slight overexaggeration).

I couldn't care less if we looked to be dithering and I have no idea wha you are implying with your Wallace reference.

I see little harm in waiting, even past trade week to try and get the best - because 'the rest' aren't going anywhere and can wait.

Let's pressure Malthouse in October and if that doesn't work move from there.

Guest Jack Donaghy

I just worry that the music will stop and we'll be left with the worst of the possible options (obviously not really Terry Wallace).

If Malthouse was at all interested, we'd have sought and received a behind-closed-doors indication by now.

I favour Neeld if Malthouse is out, and I'm worried Adelaide will pounce before we get a chance.

I just worry that the music will stop and we'll be left with the worst of the possible options (obviously not really Terry Wallace).

If Malthouse was at all interested, we'd have sought and received a behind-closed-doors indication by now.

I favour Neeld if Malthouse is out, and I'm worried Adelaide will pounce before we get a chance.

Who knows who is the best assitant out there?

If we don't get MM - the answer is simple.

Get the most fearsome assistant as head coach and surround him with IP from Collingwood, StKilda, WCE, Hawthorn and/or Geelong.

Neeld may be great, or he might be 2011's Dean Bailey.