• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Caros Article

Grand New Flag

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-demons-killed-the-coach-they-loved-but-saved-a-ceo-20110801-1i8az.html?comments=34#comments

After reading Carlos article in the AGE I feel we are in very deep trouble. Scully is surely gone, and we will struggle to keep several other players. The players are ve3ry unhappy. We only have one hope and that is to take on a highly regarded, experienced coach preferably Malthouse, and if not Roos, Eade or Willam's and give them absolute power over the Football department. We should be prepared to pay big for the right person. Renege on giving Schwab an extra year and show Connolly the door as well. The new head coach should have significant say on who runs the administration side of the club as well. The administration side of the club should be seen but not heard when it comes to the management of the football department.

I donated large amounts of money in the recent debt demolition as I love the club and saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I am absolutely devastated with what have clearly become major issues inside our club that have spilt over to the football department. I feel ripped off. I did not make significant donations to see this sort of mass incompetence less than 2 years later.

My heart bleeds. We are doing our best job of wrecking our opportunity.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/how-demons-killed-the-coach-they-loved-but-saved-a-ceo-20110801-1i8az.html?comments=34#comments

After reading Carlos article in the AGE I feel we are in very deep trouble. Scully is surely gone, and we will struggle to keep several other players. The players are ve3ry unhappy. We only have one hope and that is to take on a highly regarded, experienced coach preferably Malthouse, and if not Roos, Eade or Willam's and give them absolute power over the Football department. We should be prepared to pay big for the right person. Renege on giving Schwab an extra year and show Connolly the door as well. The new head coach should have significant say on who runs the administration side of the club as well. The administration side of the club should be seen but not heard when it comes to the management of the football department.

I donated large amounts of money in the recent debt demolition as I love the club and saw the light at the end of the tunnel. I am absolutely devastated with what have clearly become major issues inside our club that have spilt over to the football department. I feel ripped off. I did not make significant donations to see this sort of mass incompetence less than 2 years later.

Giving all power to the Coach would take us back to the situation between Grant Thomas and St. Kilda. Not a good blueprint for success IMO.

Choco.

Dealt with it all at Port. Sponsors trying to undermine him, a board still unsure on him when they were consistently minor premiers, successful and proven.

Furthermore, the deterioration at Port financially meant that he had to take on more and more as he went, something that wouldn't necessarily happen at Melbourne.

There is a need for some clearing of the air (understatement) but you are assuming the players are all unified in their distaste with Schwab and Connolls, and that they are the ones 'in the right' (if anyone is...).

The senior players seem to have issues with the direction of the club - namely that they are not good enough players to be apart of that direction, Schwab gets his head in places he shouldn't, and god knows what Connolls has [censored] off people about.

The club will settle, Tom will make his difficult decision and we will move on either way.

Guest Gotzy15

My heart bleeds for you Grand new flag and the fact that you feel like that after obviously making an important contribution to the club! Its actually hard to believe that our club is in this much turmoil when last year was so promising! Lets hope Saturdays result and the subsequent sacking of DB is the catalyst for change that we desperately need

The players are paid employees of the club, that we as members fund. Their feedback is crucial, but they do not make the decisions. Praise to the board for taking a decision (who knows if it is the right one?)

There has been no clear statement by the board about 'why' one was saved, one was sacked. No word addressing the inner turmoils or political unrest.

Crisis management means communicating and dealing with the perception rather than any reality. The Perception STINKS like a rotting fish. The board has failed us all on this score.

Bringing in Garrrrrrry Lyon may help, but doesnt help us, the paying members, feel any better about what is going on.

Board performance rating: FAIL.

Time to step up, be honest and show us how you are going to FIX any issues that exist. Otherwise, great men or not, you should go.

I HATE learning about my great club from media monkeys like Caro, Hutchie and the like.

Do you believe everything you read in the newspapers?

This is my take on it - (post 224).

BTW I spoke to a player recently (and not the player I sponsor) and he reckons Caro's story is "crap" although to be fair he's not a particularly senior player.

Like Caro, I won't be revealing my sources either.

BTW I spoke to a player recently (and not the player I sponsor) and he reckons Caro's story is "crap" although to be fair he's not a particularly senior player.

Not sure I believe everything Caro writes - she seems to get it wrong a bit too much for my liking.

The media are the most unreliable of all news sources. They cherry pick information and put their own slant on events. They must sell news papers or attract TV ratings to attract sponsors or get the sack. Why would you believe the sensational slant they put on the state of our club. Caroline Wilson was after Bailey's head earlier in the year. She's now got a new story because it suits her purpose. Walls gets angry about Melbourne sacking Bailey. 75% of the club members agree with the board. We actually develop better impressions of our club than many in the press. The Press are sensationalists. Trust the board. Stick tight together even if you are in the minority over Baileys decision. We will move forward well from this decision.

Like all of you, I've been giving this issue a lot of thought since the weekend. Apologies for the length of this post - obviously feel free not to read it!

For some reason, it led me to think specifically about Scully and Sylvia, and the way in which the club has handled their contracts. There are some curious aspects to this.

My thoughts are based on the following facts and stated remarks.

- Scully has been offered $3 million per year over 5 years to stay at the Demons. In terms of the length of the contract and the amount of it, it is the biggest contract I can recall ever being offered to an MFC player. He is only 20. His performances don't justify anything near those contractual terms, absent some ridiculous offer from GWS. Even then, the amounts still don't stack up.

- Scully is said to be very unhappy with the way Cameron Schwab has handled his situation. On the face of it, this doesn't make sense. All I have ever heard from Cameron Schwab are very positive statements about Scully. The MFC has also offered him an exceptional deal, even though Scully has said he doesn't want to discuss terms until the season's end.

- Sylvia is getting restless. He is clearly one of our best players and his whole career has been spent at the Demons. From all the reports I have ever heard, Sylvia wants to play his whole career at the club. He is now said to be looking at other options. On the face of it, a bad sign from a senior, required MFC player. In short, not a player we can afford to lose - and everyone knows that.

- I recently heard Cameron Schwab say, 'don't worry about Col - he'll be at the Dees next year, and he'll be paid very well'. He said this in a way that gave me confidence. On the face of it, a gulf seems to exist between what the club thinks and what Sylvia thinks about the situation.

- Cameron Schwab has been a very committed Melbourne man in recent years. It seems clear that (i) he loves the club; (ii) he does not tolerate personnel who do not share the Jimmy Stynes-led "love of club" ethos; and (iii) he has very competently addressed our off-field issues in recent years (debt, facilities, branding, MCC relationship etc) and we are now in an infinitely better position, off-field at least.

- It seems also that, even though Schwab is not in the football department, he has been actively engaging in its affairs.

I do not regard any of the above points as being particularly contentious observations.

So what do the above points mean?

Potentially nothing, but I have taken away the following:

1. The Scully issue has been an enormous headache for this club this year. Despite what some of you believe, the way in which Scully and his management have handled his next contract has clearly placed enormous pressure on the club, our players, our coaches and our management. This is so, even if he ultimately agrees to stay at the MFC. Schwab realises this.

2. Sylvia and some of the other players are annoyed that they seem to be getting a raw deal relative to the new kid on the block who hasn't yet done much. They are also annoyed by the mishandling of some of the senior players previously. I suspect that, despite the current manoeuvrings with Sylvia, Schwab realises this.

3. Scully stated that he doesn't wish to discuss terms until the end of the season. But here's the rub, the MFC, through landing its massive offer on young Tom's (or Velocity's) desk, has created big problems for Tom. For a start, his unwillingness to accept the offer seems ungrateful and disrespectful, and is potentially also disrupting the other player's negotiations with the club. Schwab realises this.

4. Schwab knew in advance of making the offer to Scully that he wouldn't/couldn't accept that offer at that point in time. Nonetheless, the MFC still made it. It is possible this offer was made: (i) because the club wished to ensure supporters were on its side in the circumstances and also to attempt to kill any suggestion that the MFC wasn't trying to retain its key players; and (ii) to force GWS's hand and to then start the dialogue with the AFL about compensation for losing Scully (which then happened). Schwab may have planned this.

5. Schwab knows how important Sylvia is to this club and doesn't wish to lose him. I'm not so sure Schwab shares that view of Scully (not showing enough "love of club" characteristics), even though the contract negotiations to date suggest completely the opposite view.

Hence, I have concluded that:

A. Some of these moves may be part of a bigger strategy designed at: (i) retaining key players eg, Sylvia; and (ii) getting appropriate compensation for a young player who doesn't appear sufficiently committed to the club, or

B. Absent the above conclusion, and given that the above facts appear inconsistent and do not otherwise make much sense - it could be that we're absolutely out of control as a club (which is at odds with the competence this administration has displayed in every off-field respect over the past few years).

Hope it's not the latter. Despite what the media would have us believe, I just don't think it is.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

Fantastic post, Ron. Yes, it's a difficult and irksome situation. I think your final point regarding the track record and competence of this administration is the most important point I have taken from any post on Demonland in the last few days. This administration has helped dig us out of a hole. Therefore, I'm inclined to side with them before an outside journalist.

My story is pretty similar to yours and now I see the club are looking to Foundation Heroes to donate a further $1m for player retention. I contributed for my son and myself when they were looking to fund the new Gym, they wanted to raise $1,858,000 through donations from 150 people; I think they got somewhere around the 50 odd mark and it fell flat and shortly after they started debt demolition. I haven't heard a word about what they did with the money and there has been no word from the club about this since the first 12 months. That is very disappointing it's almost as if they forgot it had happened. Forgetting the disappointment of that, I contributed several times, again for my son and myself, for the debt demolition and I have no idea what they have done with the money but i can guess that part of it was to fund the China Junket.

I'm very disappointed that they wasted the amount of money they did going to China, it will not work so let it go; China is never going to be an option for Melbourne except for the novelty value of a few locals. The turmoil at the club shows me that they will never learn and that we are in the hands of some very childish and amateurish administrators, how can it be so hard to run a club. We provided them with the opportunity to start afresh and they seem to have just blown it.

I've followed the club for over 50 years and I will never turn my back on them but they are becoming the naughty child that keeps getting in to trouble and keeps getting bailed out by his/her parents.

The [censored] they have caused Jimmy is unforgivable and it makes you wonder what type of people we are dealing with.

Edited by RobbieF

My story is pretty similar to yours and now I see the club are looking to Foundation Heroes to donate a further $1m for player retention. I contributed for my son and myself when they were looking to fund the new Gym, they wanted to raise $1,858,000 through donations from 150 people; I think they got somewhere around the 50 odd mark and it fell flat and shortly after they started debt demolition. I haven't heard a word about what they did with the money and there has been no word from the club about this since the first 12 months. That is very disappointing it's almost as if they forgot it had happened. Forgetting the disappointment of that, I contributed several times, again for my son and myself, for the debt demolition and I have no idea what they have done with the money but i can guess that part of it was to fund the China Junket.

I'm very disappointed that they wasted the amount of money they did going to China, it will not work so let it go; China is never going to be an option for Melbourne except for the novelty value of a few locals. The turmoil at the club shows me that they will never learn and that we are in the hands of some very childish and amateurish administrators, how can it be so hard to run a club. We provided them with the opportunity to start afresh and they seem to have just blown it.

I've followed the club for over 50 years and I will never turn my back on them but they are becoming the naughty child that keeps getting in to trouble and keeps getting bailed out by his/her parents.

The [censored] they have caused Jimmy is unforgivable and it makes you wonder what type of people we are dealing with.

IMO we need to be calm right now. A 186 point belting, followed by sacking the coach, then sacking the football operations manager, then sacking the CEO, then sacking the captain, would be amateurish in the extreme.

The current administration has done more from this club, off-field, than any other that I can remember. Let's not forget where we were a few years ago.

We ALL need to get behind the club right now. Continue to turn up to the next 5 games, turn up to the debt demolition function, make positive statements to your non-MFC mates etc - in short, continue to show support.

This is as much a test of the supporter base, as it is of the administration. Let's not lose sight of that.

Ronald I'm with you on this. Just watch Viney's press conference, there's still plenty to be positive and enthusastic about. Despite what's happened over the past few days we have some excellent people at the club, and a fantastic, talented young list of players. No doubt there will be some experienced coaches out there keen to take the helm.

With regards to factions/in-fighting etc. I'm sure it will be smoothed out over the coming months, it has to be. Because one important fact that will always remain, is that every individual at any AFL club has one common goal: to win a premiership.

Not sure I believe everything Caro writes - she seems to get it wrong a bit too much for my liking.

Caro is a reasonable journalist, but she speculates as much if not more than most. She is very good at adding 1 and 1 and coming up with 3. It's what she's paid to do.

Sometimes in doing that she gets closer to the truth, but more often than not 1 plus 1 still equals 2 and she's 50% out.

I am happy to appoint a new coach, however I feel Schwab and Connelly need to be broken up. We have great leadership at the top and the ptential to be great on field we just need an effective conduit between the two. While I am happy that more Melbourne people around the club now, it sometimes doesn't hurt to have an outsiders perspective to challenge our ideas so we do not become

Thanks for putting in for the club financially and emotionally and for such a long time .I think the China trip was quite a visionary exercise in awareness raising for the game and the club .If we attract foreign sponsors , as we have ,then we may benefit long-term from this .Maybe the players didn't appreciate it then because they could have been in Bali singing Khe Sahn but the players opinions mean nothing to me now .They should be treated as cattle that either perform to a code or they go . The importance of the club is paramount to me now after Saturday .The players are expendable pieces of meat who exist in a gladitorial industry .They aren't paid big bucks to ask questions of their bosses . They and their management need constant reminders of how little they mean in comparison to this great club .The club does not need to lift its game . The players do .

I second your comment... I certainly don't believe everything I read in newspapers. The job of the journalist is to write stories that will increase sales of the newspaper. As my dear departed Demon supporting father used to say: "Believe none of what you read and half of what you see and you'll be OK."

- Scully has been offered $3 million per year over 5 years to stay at the Demons. In terms of the length of the contract and the amount of it, it is the biggest contract I can recall ever being offered to an MFC player. He is only 20. His performances don't justify anything near those contractual terms, absent some ridiculous offer from GWS. Even then, the amounts still don't stack up.

Scully has been offered no such thing. $15m over 5 years. FFS get a grip. If you are going to post on 'facts' then try to get them right. Given that was your first 'fact' I didn't other reading the rest.

Like all of you, I've been giving this issue a lot of thought since the weekend. Apologies for the length of this post - obviously feel free not to read it!

For some reason, it led me to think specifically about Scully and Sylvia, and the way in which the club has handled their contracts. There are some curious aspects to this.

- Scully is said to be very unhappy with the way Cameron Schwab has handled his situation. On the face of it, this doesn't make sense. All I have ever heard from Cameron Schwab are very positive statements about Scully. The MFC has also offered him an exceptional deal, even though Scully has said he doesn't want to discuss terms until the season's end.

- Sylvia is getting restless. He is clearly one of our best players and his whole career has been spent at the Demons. From all the reports I have ever heard, Sylvia wants to play his whole career at the club. He is now said to be looking at other options. On the face of it, a bad sign from a senior, required MFC player. In short, not a player we can afford to lose - and everyone knows that.

- I recently heard Cameron Schwab say, 'don't worry about Col - he'll be at the Dees next year, and he'll be paid very well'. He said this in a way that gave me confidence. On the face of it, a gulf seems to exist between what the club thinks and what Sylvia thinks about the situation.

- Cameron Schwab has been a very committed Melbourne man in recent years. It seems clear that (i) he loves the club; (ii) he does not tolerate personnel who do not share the Jimmy Stynes-led "love of club" ethos; and (iii) he has very competently addressed our off-field issues in recent years (debt, facilities, branding, MCC relationship etc) and we are now in an infinitely better position, off-field at least.

- It seems also that, even though Schwab is not in the football department, he has been actively engaging in its affairs.

I do not regard any of the above points as being particularly contentious observations.

So what do the above points mean?

Potentially nothing, but I have taken away the following:

1. The Scully issue has been an enormous headache for this club this year. Despite what some of you believe, the way in which Scully and his management have handled his next contract has clearly placed enormous pressure on the club, our players, our coaches and our management. This is so, even if he ultimately agrees to stay at the MFC. Schwab realises this.

2. Sylvia and some of the other players are annoyed that they seem to be getting a raw deal relative to the new kid on the block who hasn't yet done much. They are also annoyed by the mishandling of some of the senior players previously. I suspect that, despite the current manoeuvrings with Sylvia, Schwab realises this.

3. Scully stated that he doesn't wish to discuss terms until the end of the season. But here's the rub, the MFC, through landing its massive offer on young Tom's (or Velocity's) desk, has created big problems for Tom. For a start, his unwillingness to accept the offer seems ungrateful and disrespectful, and is potentially also disrupting the other player's negotiations with the club. Schwab realises this.

4. Schwab knew in advance of making the offer to Scully that he wouldn't/couldn't accept that offer at that point in time. Nonetheless, the MFC still made it. It is possible this offer was made: (i) because the club wished to ensure supporters were on its side in the circumstances and also to attempt to kill any suggestion that the MFC wasn't trying to retain its key players; and (ii) to force GWS's hand and to then start the dialogue with the AFL about compensation for losing Scully (which then happened). Schwab may have planned this.

5. Schwab knows how important Sylvia is to this club and doesn't wish to lose him. I'm not so sure Schwab shares that view of Scully (not showing enough "love of club" characteristics), even though the contract negotiations to date suggest completely the opposite view.

Hence, I have concluded that:

A. Some of these moves may be part of a bigger strategy designed at: (i) retaining key players eg, Sylvia; and (ii) getting appropriate compensation for a young player who doesn't appear sufficiently committed to the club, or

B. Absent the above conclusion, and given that the above facts appear inconsistent and do not otherwise make much sense - it could be that we're absolutely out of control as a club (which is at odds with the competence this administration has displayed in every off-field respect over the past few years).

Hope it's not the latter. Despite what the media would have us believe, I just don't think it is.

Wow what a poste.. Credit to you Ron. You have been doing a lot of deep thinking pal!

Caroline Wilson is a cancer. Do not listen to her. Our problem is that Bailey was too soft and reactive. He cunningly got the players, media and supporters on his side. Once on his side, he convinced the majority of supporters with his " building phase". Unfortunately, you can't hide the truth for long, Bailey was a pathetic failure as a coach, and he had half the club mesmerized for 2 years too long. Now he is gone, we can get on with playing uncompromising, unforgiving football. Good riddance. We are now closer to the objective.