New Coach

Deano74

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also a Bailey defender up until about 6 weeks ago and now I can clearly see that he must take the rap for what the team has produced. It has happened under his watch and he is the leader.

However, all discussions about coaches seem to be emotional, not factual, or even based on some facts. So, here is the state of play as I see it:

Roos : Will not coach again at AFL level. This may change in the future but that is unlikely.

Malthouse : will be at the Pies next year

Clarkson : He will be at Hawthorn next year. It is only small details to be worked out and he personally can't wait for Kennett to be gone. However, MFC should approach him with an outrageously good offer BEFORE Kennet goes.

Lyon : is unwilling to coach and likes his media work too much.

Viney : very good one-on-one coach but is known for disliking stats, computers, over-engineered game plans and the modern emphasis on sports science. He could be a great motivator but would soon grow weary of all the other stuff coaches are expected to (coterie, official functions, media etc...)

Our other assistant coaches are not head coaches and should not be considered.

Dean Laidley : very widely respcted at Collingwood, got North into the Prelim Final. Should be considered.

Rodney Eade : Is he, like Neale Daniher, a coach that can get a team into the Grand Final but will probably never win one? He should also be approached at the very least.

Mark Williams (from Port Adelaide, not our current assisitant coach) Has a personality that can cause conflict and can be divisive, but he is a Premiership coach. He should, like Laidely, be seriously considered.

At the moment, I can't think of any other person who is a reasonable condsideration, but others might be able to.

For mine, with limited knowledge, go for Laidley or Mark Williams, but whatever is the way forward, we must not pursue another newbiew coach.

Edited by Maldonboy38

I want Mark Neeld from collingwood. He's been earmarked as a senior coach for some time now. He's been involved with a successful team and is highly endorsed by Mick Malthouse.

Would be happy with Brenton Sanderson or Brenton McCarthy too.. We need someone that has been involved at a successful club for a while. Not just a flash in the pan like Viney would I think one day will be a good coach but at the moment still has a lot to learn.

I'm hearing he's just been sacked.

Yet to hear from a good source (radio station, decent journo) but it's what I'm hearing.

SEN has run with the news he has been sacked.

Also trending very strongly on twitter that he's been told services no longer required.

In a lot of respects I feel sorry for him hope the players hold their heads in shame.

They just cost a guy his job.

Edited by Diablo Deemon

SEN has run with the news he has been sacked.

Also trending very strongly on twitter that he's been told services no longer required.

In a lot of respects I feel sorry for him hope the players hold their heads in shame.

They just cost a guy his job.

Agreed.

There are bigger issues here than just the coach.

I feel sorry for Bailey who put his balls on the line and his career progression on hold to develop our list (and tank games). He always had the club's best interest at heart and put our list development ahead of his own coaching record.

The players have let him down badly, and even though he is ultimately responsible for motivating and directing them, he was put in a horrible position yesterday when about 18 of his players decided not to turn up.

Im not sure where else to put this so this will do.

Ive not been a big fan of Bailey ( the coach ) for some time , but I have no ill feelings towads Bailey ( the man ) .

For what its worth Dean no man ( person ) deserves to have been served up the crap that your charges delivered as your c-d-g yesterday. id buy you a beer and thank you for your time and efforts. I still dont think they are the right fit but you have done what you have with belief and integrity. I can not say thiis for many of the players that took to the field yesterday, a day that will be remembered long after many of these players are given the flick at an appropriate time..

I cant see how he can continue in any manner. I think its either brave of foolish really to consider theres a future for DB at Melbourne.

This blokes got balls Ill give him that.

Im disgusted by many who call themselves Demons and had the gall to take money for their efforts yesterday.

But the future will be what it will be

So who would be in our frame?

Senior Coaches:

- Malthouse has a clause in his contract to get out, so enough money could get him to Melbourne?

- Roos said he doesn't want to coach anymore.

- Neil Craig probably won't coach anywhere else, not sure if he would be the right fit anyway.

- Rocket not much better then bailey

- Bomber Thompson enough money could get him away from his backseat driving at essendon?

- Choco nope

- Leigh Matthews I personally think he wants the gig, not sure if he would have the drive that is needed, but is an option.

- Al Clarkson Doubt we will get him, but would take him

Assistants:

- Alan Richardson (Carl)

- Gavin Brown (Carl)

- Mark Neeld (Coll)

- Scott Watters (Coll)

- Brendan McCartney (Ess)

- Brenton Sanderson (Geel)

Anyone else?

Pretty good list there, i'd add Dean Laidley, Todd Viney, Scott Burns and maybe Garry Lyon..

For me It's out of Laidley, Matthews and Viney

Laidley? WTF.

Actually, WTF to all three of those.

What would you know about Vineys coaching ability?

Do you think we would possibly go an untried coach again?

How long has Scott Burns been in the coaching industry.

If Todd Viney gets a response from the players in the remaining games it would be hard to go past him. I see him waving his arms around passionately at games whilst DB is deep in thought.

The worst thing the club could do is to appoint anyone on the strength of 6 games at the end of this season. Think Geischen, Primus, etc..

Be clever about this next move.

Laidley? WTF.

Actually, WTF to all three of those.

Im not sure why some are so quick to dismiss Laidley. He is respected as a game day strategist, he constantly got a team to hit above its weight and always had the best interests of the players at heart. He was very no nonsense.

Id look at him.

where is the confimation of the bailey sackin

Would love for Garry Lyon to get actively involved. He's such a waste of genuine footy leadership hosting that crap program every Thursday night. It's an insult to intelligence. Doesn't mean that he has to coach, but would love to see him make a meaningful contribution to the club rather than playing king-maker behind the scences. We need his leadership one way or another.

Im not sure why some are so quick to dismiss Laidley. He is respected as a game day strategist, he constantly got a team to hit above its weight and always had the best interests of the players at heart. He was very no nonsense.

Id look at him.

Neither am I; if it was possible I'd like to see Viney appointed caretaker and Laidley appointed as a consultant to Viney for the balance of the season, if it worked out alright it cold be a permanent situation.

Laidley is not a dill and knows how to coach he just had no resources or facilities at North and quit in frustration. We have good facilities, apparently some money and not too bad a list.