New Coach

Deano74

............What stinks DC is that our list is not as good as everyone has been saying..........

It maybe overrated, but there is no way it is as bad as it was yesterday. There is potential in the list, it is just that it has not been managed or tapped properly.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can comfirm that there is a virus going though the club at the moment, but its not the flu. If Bailey is gone next year "and it looks like he is" and they let him coach out the year and we somehow win the next five what then. If he is gone he most likely has to go this week. I still can not get my head around Greens smile at the press conference last night.

It maybe overrated, but there is no way it is as bad as it was yesterday. There is potential in the list, it is just that it has not been managed or tapped properly.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating.

This not our first bad game it has been happening every time we play a half decent team all year.

WE ARE NOT VERY GOOD

end of story, just look at the seconds performance yesterday.

A similar belting.

I can comfirm that there is a virus going though the club at the moment, but its not the flu. If Bailey is gone next year "and it looks like he is" and they let him coach out the year and we somehow win the next five what then. If he is gone he most likely has to go this week. I still can not get my head around Greens smile at the press conference last night.

It is called grinning in the face of death.

Did you want him to cry?

But I admit it was not a good look.

Just shows with hind sight he was not the guy for the job,.

It is called grinning in the face of death.

Did you want him to cry?

But I admit it was not a good look.

Just shows with hind sight he was not the guy for the job,.

This kind of behaviour in facing a disaster or adversity is a reaction of one who is helpless and defeatist to do anything in the situation. Not the behaviour of a leader.

This kind of behaviour in facing a disaster or adversity is a reaction of one who is helpless and defeatist to do anything in the situation. Not the behaviour of a leader.

you got it in one

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that I have been a Dean Bailey fan. As I have posted recently, I put all my trust and faith in what we have until proven otherwise, and sadly, I think yesterday proved (perhaps confirmed) a lot.

Reality is, Bailey will go. While I fully support the Club for not giving in to external pressures in the past, I don't think they have an option in this one. What is really disappointing though is that some of our players seem to get off scott free. But, as I have seen for the past 30+ years, that's footy life for you.

Now that I think this way, and replying to the thread, I ask myself "who should we get to coach?". Amazingly, we are still in contention to make the 8 - win one of the next 2 and then win the ones we "should" win, and chances are we will be playing finals. That said, nothing is certain after yesterdays eforts!

The call is for Malthouse, and to be honest, I'm not sure if he is the right man for the job. He is coaching the best team in the league at the moment, but is he the type of coach we want? Put it this way, I don't think Roos' style would suit our list, and don't think he would be suitable.

The man that I think we should seriously consider is Denis Pagan. Premiership coach, has a ruthlessness about him that almost intimidates his players, and I think that he would be a good fit.

One thing is for sure though, I just hope that G Lyon doesn't get the job. Nothing at all inspires me about the possibility of him being our next coach. I will be in the minority with that comment, but that's where I stand!

To anyone -- ANYONE -- that isn't in favour of Bailey, please provide some actual counter arguments as to why he shouldn't get the sack.

This is not a "knee-jerk" reaction:

• He has coached the team to two wooden spoons
  • The club hasn't been the pinnacle of success
  • In a year we were meant to improve, we lost for the sixth or seventh time by 10+ goals
  • We lost. By One Hundreed. AND EIGHTY FOUR POINTS!

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep him. He must go this week. To say we should keep him is to say that this lost really meant nothing. You DO NOT lose by 186 points and survive. You just don't.

I mean, "hold off from irrational decisions"?

THEY LOST BY 184 POINTS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I mean, am I speaking to a brick wall here? I feel like I am seriously all alone.

No wonder this club has sucked for so long. 20 years supporting it and I've discovered some of the fans are just as weak and narrow-minded as the club.

The club NEEDS to take a stand. YOU DO NOT ACCEPT 184 POINT LOSSES. There is no accepting it. Sacking someone after that performance is not "irrational" or "knee jerk". It's a friggin' decision that ANY company would make in a situation equivalent to this magnitude.

I just can't believe there are some saying we shouldn't sack him *facepalm*

I don't ever want to see his face again. I have never, in 20 years, been so angry, so insipidly furious, so absolutely undeniably filthy at this club. I really don't know how, where to vent. I am just a lost cause at the moment. And by reading some comments here, I feel like I am alone.

If yesterday doesn't get you angry, well then I guess the stereotypes of this club's supporters are correct. Sorry to say.

Well, I'm not ashamed to say that I have been a Dean Bailey fan. As I have posted recently, I put all my trust and faith in what we have until proven otherwise, and sadly, I think yesterday proved (perhaps confirmed) a lot.

Reality is, Bailey will go. While I fully support the Club for not giving in to external pressures in the past, I don't think they have an option in this one. What is really disappointing though is that some of our players seem to get off scott free. But, as I have seen for the past 30+ years, that's footy life for you.

Now that I think this way, and replying to the thread, I ask myself "who should we get to coach?". Amazingly, we are still in contention to make the 8 - win one of the next 2 and then win the ones we "should" win, and chances are we will be playing finals. That said, nothing is certain after yesterdays eforts!

The call is for Malthouse, and to be honest, I'm not sure if he is the right man for the job. He is coaching the best team in the league at the moment, but is he the type of coach we want? Put it this way, I don't think Roos' style would suit our list, and don't think he would be suitable.

The man that I think we should seriously consider is Denis Pagan. Premiership coach, has a ruthlessness about him that almost intimidates his players, and I think that he would be a good fit.

One thing is for sure though, I just hope that G Lyon doesn't get the job. Nothing at all inspires me about the possibility of him being our next coach. I will be in the minority with that comment, but that's where I stand!

Denis Pagan has struck out in a similar situation at Carton. Also too long out of the game. We should be throwing bucket loads of money at Clarkson. A contempory of Stynes, Lyon and Viney at the club and has the aura of requited success.

Edited by america de cali

Denis Pagan has struck out in a similar situation at Carton. Also too long out of the game. We should be throwing bucket loads of money at Clarkson. A contempory of Stynes, Lyon and Viney at the club and has the aura of requited success.

I've also now swayed from Malthouse to Clarkson.

C'mon Jimmy, call that pugnacious little fighter and make him an offer he can't refuse.

How sweet would it be to rip him away from Hawthorn!!

Edited by Range Rover

You have my vote.

And he was a mean little [censored] as a player.

Just what we need.

however there is one big problem.

Why would you leave a great club like Hawthorn with gutsy hard arsed players

to come to a club with a bunch of choir boys of doubtful talent.

If I was Clarkson I would stay put, his group has a good chance this year or next.

DC if there was ever a chance DB would get an extension it disappeared yesterday afternoon.

The MFC web site is even saying in an article that this will make it hard to get an extension.

He is gone.

Why wait.

What stinks DC is that our list is not as good as everyone has been saying.

It has not been helped by the departure of our captain and Bruce.

In spite of what a lot on here say Bruce held the half back line together.

I suspect that the way the departure of those two long serving well liked players was handled has had an effect.

With hind sight Green was not the guy for the captain's job.

IMO it has ruined his playing performance, how do you go from all australian to not earning your spot in the team?

It is time for drastic action or this club will implode.

DB must be shown the door this week

Green must resign as captain.

Never thought I would say this but the TS thing is having an effect.

The guy is a second year player who has rarely been on the park in his second year.

He may well have a career threating Injury.

Make him a reasonable offer, if he choses GWS then I do not care any longer.

Lets take the saved salary and the draft picks we get and go after 1 or 2 seasoned hard arsed players.

Not the skinny choir boys we usually pick.

I am really tired of the way this club works.

Drastic hard arsed action like Essendon is the way forward.

Hear what you are saying old dee and there is more than a grain of truth in most of what you say

However, no list is 30 [censored] goals a game worse than any other list in the modern professional game with drafting concessions and salary caps.

30 [censored] goals is just beyond comprehension. If it was 10 goals or even 15 you might explain it, but not when it is 30 [censored] goals

This is not just a very bad result or even a disastrous result its .....something worse

Words just escape me. So much so I just keep looking for some rational reason for such a result (apart from the obvious ones)

Anyway...I await the fallout whatever it will be be

Is he still coaching at the Northern Knights? I know he was, but not sure if he still is! He also took over at Carlton in a similar fashion to what Bailey did at Melbourne. He had to have a massive cleanout, and ensure they lost certain games to get draft picks. It's only this year that Crlton are looking at a top 4 spot, and Ratten has had the luxury of 3 or 4 seasons of a quality, yet under-developed list. The person who takes over from Bailey will be in the same situation as Ratten was/is.

My theory is that we want a proven premiership coach, and of the current brigade, I can't see Clarkson leaving Hawthorn, and I can't see us having the ability to secure Malthouse.

I've also now swayed from Malthouse to Clarkson.

C'mon Jimmy, call that pugnacious little fighter and make him an offer he can't refuse.

How sweet would it be to rip him away from Hawthorn!!

If we could pinch it will a great coup. There are indications he is not happy at the hawks. But if he is stalling for more money there then we should match it and up it ala Scully at GWS.

Is he still coaching at the Northern Knights? I know he was, but not sure if he still is! He also took over at Carlton in a similar fashion to what Bailey did at Melbourne. He had to have a massive cleanout, and ensure they lost certain games to get draft picks. It's only this year that Crlton are looking at a top 4 spot, and Ratten has had the luxury of 3 or 4 seasons of a quality, yet under-developed list. The person who takes over from Bailey will be in the same situation as Ratten was/is.

My theory is that we want a proven premiership coach, and of the current brigade, I can't see Clarkson leaving Hawthorn, and I can't see us having the ability to secure Malthouse.

If Clarkson hasn't signed an extension with the hawks then he is AVALIABLE. Question is have we the will and determination to sway him to us?

Edited by america de cali

If Clarkson hasn't signed an extension with the hawks then he is AVALIABLE. Question is have we the will and determination to sway him to us?

Everyone is AVAILABLE, contracts mean jack sh!t if you have enough money. But it is a question of why would Clarkson leave Hawthorn to come to Melbourne? I just don't think he would, and am confident that he will be coaching Hawthorn next year. They are 3rd FFS.

After reading your "mature response" I'm certain you read no further than the first paragraph of my post. You have contributed a shallow and unconstructive personal attack (which is fine with me) but then failed to have an actual opinion on the situation which at least I provided. Vent your steam by all means but (like I wore the criticism last year) be prepared to present an argument and stand by it and more importantly accept the criticism that will be thrown your way if you get it wrong.

Dean Bailey is not at fault... Your right that you saw a problem last year, and this year, we all did, but IMO your wrong to think it's the Coach thats the weak link. He is not.

the problem you see and blame are different to the real invisible Issue.

The problem stems from the Top as mentioned Yesterday, but IMO it goes way deeper than that. First let me say we Lack tough fighting leadership from the administration, but IMO thats not where the problem starts, but the issue of the administration, starts from a bunch of comfortable supporters who are NOT Hungry Enough. We as a group of supporters are not hungry enough, those who are in close contact with the administrators. Those who mostly mingle with the board members and the upper supporter groups. (the Northern stand)...

That is why, IMO, we don't play physical footy and why we're labeled Bruise Free.

Sure the Coach will have to go now, but we'll still be left with the same disease that brings all our coaches down.

IMO, Bailey must elect to step down now, with dignity (tho' his post match comments will make this hard; they were just plain stupid - implies its all about him). If he needs to be sacked, then it just shows out of touch he is.

Caretaker to be either Conolly, Viney or Royal (probably the only viable assistant who could step up). Remember, we are talking caretaker

I think history shows that a successful coach must:

a) have been an A grader with a long playing history at AFL level

b.) have been a hard, uncompromising player

c) have premiership experience (as coach or player)

This experience doesn't guarantee success, obviously, but Roos is the only exception that I can think of.

Of the above possible caretakers, only Viney fits the bill as a possible long term option. Eade (and possibly Ratten) the only seasoned coach maybe available (presuming Roos, Malthouse and Williams aren't). And of the assistants, only Hinkley meets the criteria.

If Roos is not available, I'd probably go for Viney (but with a f/t mentor - Laidley or Craig?).

Ed: presuming Viney wants it. :o

Edited by Mono

I'd only go Clarkson or Malthouse. Malthouse isn't going anywhere at season's end, while suggestions for a rookie coach are dense. The thing is we'll beat Richmond, Gold Coast and Port. That'll be 10.5 wins for the season and an improvement on last season. We're tracking in a similar fashion to Carlton two years ago. The only difference being they were never being belted to the extent that we have been. I would have put money on Bailey being re-signed before yesterday. Now obviously our performance yesterday muddies this theory. You'd probably have to throw a mill at Clarkson at season's end otherwise extend Bailey's contract for the extra year and jump at Malthouse next year.

2 Grand finals

One of which they won.

I'm sorry mate but I would take that in a heartbeat! Williams is the forgotten man. Great coach, Teacher, Tactician and motivator.

How anyone in their right mind can doubt his credentials is just staggering. Port have really gone from strength to strength since his departure.

I agree.

So who would be in our frame?

Senior Coaches:

- Malthouse has a clause in his contract to get out, so enough money could get him to Melbourne?

- Roos said he doesn't want to coach anymore.

- Neil Craig probably won't coach anywhere else, not sure if he would be the right fit anyway.

- Rocket not much better then bailey

- Bomber Thompson enough money could get him away from his backseat driving at essendon?

- Choco nope

- Leigh Matthews I personally think he wants the gig, not sure if he would have the drive that is needed, but is an option.

- Al Clarkson Doubt we will get him, but would take him

Assistants:

- Alan Richardson (Carl)

- Gavin Brown (Carl)

- Mark Neeld (Coll)

- Scott Watters (Coll)

- Brendan McCartney (Ess)

- Brenton Sanderson (Geel)

Anyone else?

Given the other internal issues at MFC we need to hold fast to a Coach review at the end of the year. In the interim sort our what the issues are with Schwab and Connelly... I have no idea what they are... But Bailey should be given the next 5 games then review and decide. If he is moved on we would need to wait till the finals are complete to have open discussions with over half the potential replacements...

It's becoming apparent that the loss to the Cats was expanded by some issues between players and Schwab? issues between Bailey and Connelly? Looks lika a total cluster F#%k as the yanks would say...

I really want Rocket EADE, he is a real fire and brimstone coach and has effective game plans and is flexible, he has coached sides regularly to finals and the odd grand final appearance with list not as promising as our current one. I think we really need to get a coach that has experience and mogrel. No new coaches, no more guessing and hoping get the best available to coach all the high recent draft picks we have.