• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Your Strategy against The Hawks

H_T

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope Howe is not the sub. He is a natural forward and his disposal on both sides of his body is really good. His tackling has been both surprising and effective. He could be one of those to man up across our half forward line and stop their switch. I wonder if Nev Jetta's pace could also be used cross our half forwad line to intercept and frustrate thier chipping game.

A great comment from above by Jumbo: The Hawks niggle, punch, scrag, bump - anything to unsettle the opposition. I can see Moloney, Jones, Sylvia Green, Jamar, Tapscott being able to handle this but not many others. Jurrah, Watts, Garland, Strauss, Nicholson, Scully, Gysberts, Howe:- can they play good footy for four quarters with this sort of attention? IMO, not for four quarters just yet. If they actually do it for four quarters, I reckon we win the game.

I also wonder if we have left behind that stupid strategy of no-one in our forward line when we win it at half-back or midfield? The Carlton game, the North game, and many others. Our midfielders had no problem winning the ball but looked up to see no options. Or, they handball 8 times under pressure and turn it over.

We must do the bullying.

I think the two key aspects are:

1) Clearances - we need to be competitive in this area. Port beat us in the clearances and it's going to be a massive step up against the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, possibly Sewell and co. As others have said this is an area Hawthorn have dominated in against us over the years.

2) Defensive structure on Hawthorn transition - assuming we are competitive in the clearances and can get enough ball into our forward line, the test will be how well we can defend Hawthorn's ball movement from defence to their forward line. Hawthorn has changed its game style in this respect - they will short chip their way out and will take it forward with precise kicking and uncontested marks. If we sit too deep and allow them uncontested mark chains, they will just cut holes in our defence (this is what we did last time). However we also can't press too high as if they get it over the back we will be in big trouble. It will therefore be a balancing act, but we definitely can't fall into the trap of just zoning deep in defence like last time.

We need to be especially focused on their best kicks and guys like Birchall and Suckling are the regular counter-attack players off half back. Their opponents must put them under pressure when the Hawks have the ball. I don't want to see those two players running around on their own spearing kicks up field. Guerra too is a good set-up kick from half back. Our small forwards must be in these guys' faces.

if we can be competitive in the clearances...and when hawks have the ball we must play one on one.

One on one I think for this game no Zone one on one. What the Hawks do is chip the ball around we need to man them up and not allow them to have a high uncontested mark number.

I think the two key aspects are:

1) Clearances - we need to be competitive in this area. Port beat us in the clearances and it's going to be a massive step up against the likes of Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, possibly Sewell and co. As others have said this is an area Hawthorn have dominated in against us over the years.

Agree. If we work at the stoppages like we did against Port, we're in trouble. There are a lot of things you can't do against Hawthorn, and one of them is get smashed in the clearances. If we let Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Bateman, Rioli and Savage to get first use and deliver it lace out to their forward line we're screwed.

That's where I really hope that Jamar and Martin have good games. The ruck is an area we can definitely own Hawthorn in and that will help our mids to overcome the clear talent and size gap.

2) Defensive structure on Hawthorn transition - assuming we are competitive in the clearances and can get enough ball into our forward line, the test will be how well we can defend Hawthorn's ball movement from defence to their forward line. Hawthorn has changed its game style in this respect - they will short chip their way out and will take it forward with precise kicking and uncontested marks. If we sit too deep and allow them uncontested mark chains, they will just cut holes in our defence (this is what we did last time). However we also can't press too high as if they get it over the back we will be in big trouble. It will therefore be a balancing act, but we definitely can't fall into the trap of just zoning deep in defence like last time.

We need to be especially focused on their best kicks and guys like Birchall and Suckling are the regular counter-attack players off half back. Their opponents must put them under pressure when the Hawks have the ball. I don't want to see those two players running around on their own spearing kicks up field. Guerra too is a good set-up kick from half back. Our small forwards must be in these guys' faces.

I'm not too worried about Birchall, his kicking is average under pressure. It's Suckling and Hodge we need to worry about. Those two are brilliant kicks and will pierce our 'forward press' if we're not on 100%.

This is definitely the big thing to work on. In the third quarter in Round 2 (honestly, in every game we've played against Hawthorn in the last 4 years) they moved the ball far, far too easily through the middle, so we need to learn from that. As you say, there's a definite balancing act with Hawthorn. If we press too hard up we'll leave too much space out the back for Franklin, Rioli, Shiels etc. to roam free in. But if we hang too far back they'll bring the ball up closer and deliver it with footskills anyway. I'm inclined to keep the press high (i.e. closer to our forward line) and back our defence in to work hard enough to ensure Hawthorn's forwards don't make the most of the space. Tough, obviously, but pressuring their defence is how we're going to win this game so I want to see our forwards/mids really working hard in our forward half to press the ball in and get them under pressure.

Also do not under estimate the "Allan Jeans" factor on Sunday..Hawthorn will be fired up to respect the great man..We must hit them hard in the first Q.

St..kilda were unbelievable in the First Q last week, and with the sub rule it is harder to reel in sides in the 2nd half than it was.

The MFC attitude must be ready for the "Yabby" Factor.

Also do not under estimate the "Allan Jeans" factor on Sunday..Hawthorn will be fired up to respect the great man..We must hit them hard in the first Q.

St..kilda were unbelievable in the First Q last week, and with the sub rule it is harder to reel in sides in the 2nd half than it was.

The MFC attitude must be ready for the "Yabby" Factor.

There will be emotion for Hawthorn. But we can't control that. I'm sure both sides will pay their respects. But then it's game on.

What the team and FD can do, is make sure we're right to go for the full four quarters. Plan accordingly. Right attitude. Right application.

There will be emotion for Hawthorn. But we can't control that. I'm sure both sides will pay their respects. But then it's game on.

What the team and FD can do, is make sure we're right to go for the full four quarters. Plan accordingly. Right attitude. Right application.

Absolutely....we must be ready for that extra Emotion because of "Yabby" He was a huge man...particularly at Hawthorn....might be time to watch the 1990 Elimination Final. one of the toughest games i have ever been to or watched.

I'm inclined to keep the press high (i.e. closer to our forward line) and back our defence in to work hard enough to ensure Hawthorn's forwards don't make the most of the space. Tough, obviously, but pressuring their defence is how we're going to win this game so I want to see our forwards/mids really working hard in our forward half to press the ball in and get them under pressure.

Agree. Collingwood showed the way in this respect, they forced so many turnovers by foot that the Hawks' kick-through-the-zone game plan fell apart. They weren't able to find free targets, take the mark, stop, assess the options and deliver. They were constantly put under pressure by Collingwood and didn't have the time to firstly make the right decisions and secondly execute the kick.

We got killed with their defensive press last time. In fact we have been killed all year by teams employing that strategy. If we haven't learnt to deal with it by now we are going nowhere.

Key Match Ups in this order

Mitchell - This is the crucial match up he has been scintillating this year gets the best stopper we got McKenzie

Franklin - Garland if deep, Frawley if floating up around half forward

Rioli - Jones needs a big job and the coach has got to eyeball Jonesy and say it's up to you. Wear him like a glove

Hodge - Let Morton follow him around and play a tagging role best way to play him is make him accountable offensively if he can runoff he kills you

Burgoyne - Cleaned us up last with 4 goals needs a defensive forward if playing back look to Petterd forward Strauss or Tapscott

Suckling - Most efficient kick in the comp I'd bring in Jetta just to follow him around and lay a tackle as soon as he goes near it

Match Day Address/Key tactics

Have to have to have to be accountable to a man. Hawthorn is playing this lead up short pass game or we have to be maintain a strict zone or they will

pick their way through our defence. Total team defence, tackles have to stick

Less handball saw passages of it again in Darwin please handball less, kick the bloody ball, run and overlap is exciting until the ball is butchered in the middle of the ground.

Lower you eyes when entering 50. If they play a loose man in defence man him up. Forward pressure is essential.

Martin and Jamar have to murder Bailey and Hale

The game from the outside did appear to be taxing on him. I agree there were uncharacteristic clangers, one of which resulted in an intercept and goal.

It will be interesting if he recovers ok.

I m interested to know how the boys are feeling... Tough game sat night but plenty of time to pump the fluids in and get things right before sunday... I reckon well knock them off. Actually confident.

I reckon Ranga has the goods to take on Mitchell. We've thrown him against good mids recently and he does a good job on them if he can match them speed-wise. Putting him on Rioli he'd get out-streaked, but on Mitchell he'd do damn well.

My one to consider would be:

OUT: Morton

IN: Bennell

The thing with Morton is that he doesn't offer much defensively. I contrast this with Bennell, who does superbly on the small mid/forward type - like Krakouer. Put him on Rioli.

Big Jack is a tough matchup for the Hawks, that'll be interesting.

Finally, for Hodge I like the Petterd idea. More to the point, Petterd is coming back to his dangerous best, as seen last week, and he creates the opportunity for a 2on1 if we stick him on Hodge. Do that and play around him, would be very effective.

We got killed with their defensive press last time. In fact we have been killed all year by teams employing that strategy. If we haven't learnt to deal with it by now we are going nowhere.

This is the key to the match and this is the reason we will get beaten. We haven't once this year played well against teams which employ a decent forward press. See Hawthorn, West Coast and Collingwood. I remember the second half last time we played the hawks, and the only way the ball came out of their forward line, was when they kicked a goal. I'd like to think it we've got a strategy but I haven't seen it yet. Hawks by 40+ points. Love to be proven wrong...

I really hope Howe is not the sub. He is a natural forward and his disposal on both sides of his body is really good. His tackling has been both surprising and effective. He could be one of those to man up across our half forward line and stop their switch. I wonder if Nev Jetta's pace could also be used cross our half forwad line to intercept and frustrate thier chipping game.

A great comment from above by Jumbo: The Hawks niggle, punch, scrag, bump - anything to unsettle the opposition. I can see Moloney, Jones, Sylvia Green, Jamar, Tapscott being able to handle this but not many others. Jurrah, Watts, Garland, Strauss, Nicholson, Scully, Gysberts, Howe:- can they play good footy for four quarters with this sort of attention? IMO, not for four quarters just yet. If they actually do it for four quarters, I reckon we win the game.

I also wonder if we have left behind that stupid strategy of no-one in our forward line when we win it at half-back or midfield? The Carlton game, the North game, and many others. Our midfielders had no problem winning the ball but looked up to see no options. Or, they handball 8 times under pressure and turn it over.

We must do the bullying.

I think Howe will start. IMO he was Sub: last week to prepare him for this week.

I'd drop Morton for this game with McDonald or Davis in.... Another thing could be to change the tall backs, to allow Gawn to come in.

I'd rest Gysberts or Sub: him,, for Bartram

I'd look @ Maric/Jetta/Evans through training to see who gets the other small gig.

Edited by High Tower
fixed quote tag

The thing with Morton is that he doesn't offer much defensively. I contrast this with Bennell, who does superbly on the small mid/forward type - like Krakouer. Put him on Rioli.

Take a look at Bennell's recent form; especially the Bulldogs game.

Doesn't deserve a recall atm, even though Morton's in poor form.

MacDonald ahead of him. With Nicholson in the side, we don't need Bennell as a small defender. He needs to improve.

for the life of me I can't fathom why both Bartram and MacDonald arent in the side

they are both experienced and hard as nails. If we are serious about winning games they should be in ahead of the likes of Nicholson. I rate the new nicho but he is just a kid, and this showed n the weekend, where he stuffed it up every time he went near it bar that fantastic goal he kicked

for the life of me I can't fathom why both Bartram and MacDonald arent in the side

they are both experienced and hard as nails. If we are serious about winning games they should be in ahead of the likes of Nicholson. I rate the new nicho but he is just a kid, and this showed n the weekend, where he stuffed it up every time he went near it bar that fantastic goal he kicked

Did you see Bartram's last game in the red&blue ? I understand that at times Bartram does his job more often than not but last time he butchered it quite a few times, I think Nicholson has handled himself well, his pace and taking them on is exactly what needs to infiltrate this team "moving forward". I think Strauss has done ok, without being sensational and is gaining confidence with each outing, Tapscott is a required player and needs to keep playing...so that is the conundrum our FD faces, and I think they're handling it well.

MacDonald is a more than capable player and could be a chance, but who do you leave out without upsetting the balance ? Maybe someone who hasn't recovered as well as could be after Darwin, but that remains to be seen.

Let's not forget the conditions were difficult in ball handling, I know it doesn't excuse some errors of judgement and yes Nicholson does need to work on some aspects, but his pace is a weapon and helps create play, rather than the stagnated play we've been accustomed to at times. I'd keep playing him myself and encourage him - as well as build his confidence by teaching him and eradicating errors to improve decision making.

MacDonald is a more than capable player and could be a chance, but who do you leave out without upsetting the balance ? Maybe someone who hasn't recovered as well as could be after Darwin, but that remains to be seen.

According to the injury list, MacDonald is a week away with a knee injury (Davey and Scully are both listed as "test").

Last time we played the Hawks we got smashed. Basically we were not up to it, pressure and skill wise. To have any chance of beating them we need to turn up to play big time. The more big bodies the better, but most of all we need to play blokes who dont go missing or drop their heads if they start to get a run on.

So MacDonald comes in (unless the HUN's injury list is right) and i'd be tempted to bring in Jetta too becasue he has a crack.

Strauss or nicholson and Morton OUT.

Last time we played the Hawks we got smashed. Basically we were not up to it, pressure and skill wise.

You're right we weren't up to it, particularly in the second half. Had much to do with leadership and application when required. But still, I sense some negativity here.

We were also in front at half time and our midfield wasn't the same dynamic in Round 2 as what we have today.

We need the team (and probably the supporters in terms of support - be loud people) to go in with the right attitude, intensity, pressure and hardness for four quarters to get a good measure of where we are at.

We know that Hawthorn have been a better form side, a more experienced side. We need to play like one.

Sometimes you've got to fake it, until you make it.

Inject some positivity, it's contagious.