Casey Scorpions v Collingwood

dee-luded

Guest Artie Bucco

To say that Blease "refuses to chase" is hyperbole, just as it is to say Strauss was "vitlrtually delisted 4 weeks ago."

Absolute rubbish.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your nickname....Happy chappy

I'm in exam study mode...it's tough to be happy.

Just out of interest who would have taken Dunn's spot in the 2nd half last year?

He was in good form and deserved to be part of the team for mine. Won us the game up at the GABBA for one.

Maric, Wonaeamirri, whoever.

Sure, he played OK, but I look back now and wish we'd never picked him so that someone else could have gained some experience.

Yes, hindsight can be a wonderful thing.

To say that Blease "refuses to chase" is hyperbole, just as it is to say Strauss was "vitlrtually delisted 4 weeks ago."

Absolute rubbish.

I wrote that badly: I meant to say virtually delisted by the fans. He had been written off on here by many.

Guest Artie Bucco

Yeah, I'd accept that. A lot of supporters were ignorant of his development.

But 4 weeks ago he was injured as a result of a collision with Dunn at training, and before that he was showing form good enough to have him as an emergency.

And similar with Blease.

I understand he didn't always chase, but to say he refused to infers a conscious decision and a petulance that weren't apparent.

His awareness may not be there and his instinct may not yet be to chase like Jordie Mac, but it'll be drilled into him.

Absolute rubbish.

I observed the game and on numerous occasions blease stood there with the ball within 5-10 metres and did nothing. That is not hyperbole that is what I observed.

Dunn's 'career best football' wasn't that good, and didn't translate into a career.

Dunn was easily BOG against Richmond. 3 Brownlow votes, kicked 5 goals and kept Deledio (touted at that point as an AA) to under 10 touches. You have a poor memory of you think he wasn't good in the second half of last year.

Guest Artie Bucco

I observed the game and on numerous occasions blease stood there with the ball within 5-10 metres and did nothing. That is not hyperbole that is what I observed.

I watched the game too.

A couple of times he didn't chase when he should have.

To say he "refused to chase" is pure hyperbole.

Beg to differ Choko. I think Fev played a strong role in the way the forward line performed today. He kept the opposition's best defender occupied and was unselfish in his play. Fev has two Coleman Medals under his belt and has plenty to teach the other forwards and you're underestimating Cook's intelligence if you think he could be swayed by "the type of bloke Fev is" (whatever that might mean).

I totally support your view.And I will go so far as to say-by year end we will wish he was on our MFC list.

I totally support your view.And I will go so far as to say-by year end we will wish he was on our MFC list.

I can't see myself wishing that but I can see other clubs giving him a chance next year if he continues going the way he is at present. I reckon Sheeds, with his avowed liking for giving people a second (or third) chance could be persuaded to give him a try.

After all, dual Coleman Medallists don't grow on trees.

Fev is being handled well by Brad Gotch at Casey and I really think he is responding well. He is not far from getting a bag of goals although that's not necessary with the Casey forward line traveling the way it's going ATM.

Ahhh no.

While he gets the best defender at this level he looks a sorry shadow of the player who was a match winner at AFL.

Still cant run, looks slow at VFL level and has no 2nd/3rd effort. His 50 metres that he gave away at the kick was immature and just plain dumb.

Toxic and good riddance to him at year end.

Fev is being handled well by Brad Gotch at Casey and I really think he is responding well. He is not far from getting a bag of goals although that's not necessary with the Casey forward line traveling the way it's going ATM.

Gotch just has him up forward as he has no fitness to run.

As for Coleman medallist....phhftt...it is as embarrassing as watching Plugger make that ill fated comeback.

Fev is a loooooonnnnnggg way off. In truth he should be destroying this competition....he aint. And unless Casey has a field day in the midfield, he is unlikely to either.

More excited by Lucas Cook and hope the Casey players kick it to him until he gets a taste of AFL. Its definitely coming up.

I agree H. He does some nice things second half but he had an absolute mare. He also refuses to chase on numerous occassions. If his name was Strauss there would a thread of its own saying how he should never play for the Dee's.

Totally agree.

Casey were all over the Pies and Blease was ordinary. I actually thought he was not good with the ball either.

I know why he was drafted but he has not delivered.

Dunn was easily BOG against Richmond. 3 Brownlow votes, kicked 5 goals and kept Deledio (touted at that point as an AA) to under 10 touches. You have a poor memory of you think he wasn't good in the second half of last year.

He has been serviceable in the later half of 2010 and has reverted back to career mean form in 2011. He is the ulitimate tweener. Looks a class above at VFL but a class below at AFL level.

Been a real disappointment at MFC over the course of his career.

Beg to differ Choko. I think Fev played a strong role in the way the forward line performed today. He kept the opposition's best defender occupied and was unselfish in his play. Fev has two Coleman Medals under his belt and has plenty to teach the other forwards and you're underestimating Cook's intelligence if you think he could be swayed by "the type of bloke Fev is" (whatever that might mean).

I think you are making my point W_J! Fev played well and took the best defender. Therefore took the best defender off Cook, or robbed Cook of the opportunity to play on the best defender as the focal point.

I don't hink I said Cook would necessarily be influenced by Fev, but I think you know the type of bloke Fev is!

Guest DeesPower

I can't see myself wishing that but I can see other clubs giving him a chance next year if he continues going the way he is at present. I reckon Sheeds, with his avowed liking for giving people a second (or third) chance.

If we don't land the large ready made power forward in trade week we are alleged ready to trade for, then we may well turn to Fev. I personally think he is an unstable and somewhat destructive personality(at least he has been), but I too was not only very impressed with his constructive, often skillful play, but also he was very unselfish. I like watching the forward play so deliberately stand behind the goals at both ends and so observed our forward work (and Fev) very closely. He is certainly improving each week his fitness, and especially his attitude. He was very supportive of his team-mates and was quite vocal on the field coaching the younger players. One of the things about the VFL is you can go and listen to the discussions at quarter and three quarter time. I observed Fev on both occasions being constructive and very enthusiastic about the task at hand. The other person who is equally as committed was Rob Campbell. He seems to have almost taken over the discussions in the onball group in a very positive way - much for the better as you can see from their effectiveness.

I would not be at all surprised if Fev behaves himself for the rest of the year that the Dess maywell draft him as a rookie for next year.

I think you are making my point W_J! Fev played well and took the best defender. Therefore took the best defender off Cook, or robbed Cook of the opportunity to play on the best defender as the focal point.

I don't hink I said Cook would necessarily be influenced by Fev, but I think you know the type of bloke Fev is!

I hear what you're saying but Kris Pendlebury is 190cm and would be a reasonable match up for Fevola at 191cm. I don't believe Pendlebury would have been matched up on Cook who was last measured at 196cm but could be a smidgeon taller now.

I know a fair bit of the type of person Fev has been in the past and am not naieve enough to believe that he might not regress but he's been accepted as a player by Casey and has knowledge and skill to impart on our young forwards. All of this is being done under the supervision of a well respected 250 game plus VFL coach in Brad Gotch. I think it would be remiss of us (if not churlish) not to take advantage of the situation.

In addition, I've been to a few Casey games where Fev has played and I've seen many instances of Fev giving advice and encouragement to his team mates. I think that's an advantage, not otherwise.

Yeah, I'd accept that. A lot of supporters were ignorant of his development.

But 4 weeks ago he was injured as a result of a collision with Dunn at training, and before that he was showing form good enough to have him as an emergency.

And similar with Blease.

I understand he didn't always chase, but to say he refused to infers a conscious decision and a petulance that weren't apparent.

His awareness may not be there and his instinct may not yet be to chase like Jordie Mac, but it'll be drilled into him.

Blease does have quite an attitude, appears very stubborn and strong headed, but seems to be learning. I've observed him on & off the field and away from the grounds on a few occaisions,,,, and he does seem to me to be maturing. But he does have an incredibly strong opinion of himself.

Put it to Good Use young fella.

I watched the game too.

A couple of times he didn't chase when he should have.

To say he "refused to chase" is pure hyperbole.

Let me be clear that I was a massive wrap for Sam when we drafted him. This is because he had blistering pace that he used both ways. I also believe he has the talent to become an excellent AFL player. Yesterday is the first opportunity I have had to see him play since the intra-club at Goschs paddock. Although he highlighted some exceptional elements of his game I was completedly underwhelmed by his performance to the point of pure frustration. He chose on numerous occasions to not use his natural gift of pace defensively and on occasion stood stationary whilst players around him busted a gut to pressure the ball carrier. Rather than make position he continually looked for an easy kick behind the player who took the mark rather than working for the ball. He then when he got the ball tried to do too much on nearly every occasion. Based on what I saw today he needs to simplify his game, take the first option and do the team things before he should be considered for the next level.

Ricky Bobby will be back at AFL level very soon. He has been dominant today.

Lucas Cook is also looking great. Come 2012 he'll be a regular at AFL level. There's no doubt in my mind he'll make the grade.

This raises a question in my mind;

Hypothetically, if we were to acquire another tall forward, say Tom Lynch from GC - would you play all 3 in the forward line (Watts, Cook, Lynch) or would you play Watts on a wing, or HBF or something?

I'd be thinking Cook deep FF, Lynch CHF and Watts on a wing.

It's just that, Watts & Cook are very close to the same age and have a lot of years ahead of them. It's conceivable that we will have another gun forward pop up over that time and will find ourselves with this kind of "problem".

Why Cook deep when his best work is done with his footpassing to teammates and setting up the play? I like the Idea of cook @ CHB... He's a Footy Architect...

EDIT: I've just reread this and realised I got my players names mixed. So I've Edited them to the correct Name.

Lynch to CHB, ASAP. Prob's, start him in the back pocket or Back Flank, or half forward flank, just to acclimatise him to AFL, but with a view that when his body is strong enough, he goes to CHB.

A defence: from: Frawley / Garland / Cook / Rivers / Strauss / Tapscott / Grimes / Bartram / Bail / Jones / McDonald / TMcDonald / Davis / Trengove / Bennell / Jetta /

Edited by dee-luded

Why not try Warnock forward? If he marks everything, and kicks OK, why have him as a reserve back if we are lacking a big target forward?

I suggested this last year as an experiment. Got howled down.

Club doesn't seem interested either otherwise they could have experimented at Casey.

Problem at Casey is they have no shortages of forwards this year.

Ah well. Probably too late now.

Guest Artie Bucco

Funny, that Warnock move resulted in the club being accused of tanking in 2008...

(or maybe it was 2009...)

Edited by Artie Bucco

I suggested this last year as an experiment. Got howled down.

Club doesn't seem interested either otherwise they could have experimented at Casey.

Problem at Casey is they have no shortages of forwards this year.

Ah well. Probably too late now.

I agree

I have been suggesting it for 2 years as well DC.

he had 1 quarter against the Tigers.

Not sure why everyone wants to trade him, Plays ok at senior level and we need back up if Frawley gets injured.

If we don't land the large ready made power forward in trade week we are alleged ready to trade for, then we may well turn to Fev. I personally think he is an unstable and somewhat destructive personality(at least he has been), but I too was not only very impressed with his constructive, often skillful play, but also he was very unselfish. I like watching the forward play so deliberately stand behind the goals at both ends and so observed our forward work (and Fev) very closely. He is certainly improving each week his fitness, and especially his attitude. He was very supportive of his team-mates and was quite vocal on the field coaching the younger players. One of the things about the VFL is you can go and listen to the discussions at quarter and three quarter time. I observed Fev on both occasions being constructive and very enthusiastic about the task at hand. The other person who is equally as committed was Rob Campbell. He seems to have almost taken over the discussions in the onball group in a very positive way - much for the better as you can see from their effectiveness.

I would not be at all surprised if Fev behaves himself for the rest of the year that the Dess maywell draft him as a rookie for next year.

No chance. Just... no.

You cannot boot a player of the calibre of James McDonald out of the club, only to draft Fev a year later. It won't happen. I don't mean to personally attack your post- I agree that Fev has improved his attitude markedly, if not his physical fitness. But it just won't happen.

True, but there were a lot of other "experimental" moves that day too

Oh, and we WERE tanking btw

Yeah, we were. And when the siren went we didn't have the priority pick...

It's amazing how Melbourne can wring their hands so hard over a few experiments in one game against Richmond that Jordan McMahon won after the siren...

Frawley was BOG that game IRRC (unless I'm thinking of the earlier Richmond game).

You're giving Dunn too much praise. Yes, his form in the second half of last year was his best ever. But that speaks volumes about the rest of his career. He wasn't exceptional. He was servicable. And now we're seeing that that kind of form (good enough to stay in the side without getting that good) has not given us any long term benefit.

Why not try Warnock forward? If he marks everything, and kicks OK, why have him as a reserve back if we are lacking a big target forward?

He doesn't mark everything (see the Carlton game), and he doesn't kick OK.

Does that answer your question?