No 39 Nev Jetta

satyricon

I was once called Neville Jetta's mum on this board because of the support I tried to drum up for him in the face of the constant criticosm he was receiving. I actually have Nr 39 on my jumper I wear to the games.

I spoke to Matty Whelan a couple of years ago and he said he was really enjoying working with Nev and I asked him if he was teaching him to be like him and he just smiled

Now in the 3 word analysis we have Nev likened to Wheels, which I am sure Nev would not accept...YET

Posters on the board need to realise that when a player initially arrives, unless your name happens to be Tom Scully, you are at least two years away from being anywhere near an AFL player, Neville is improving all the time, but the one thing he has always had is heart.....and will give 100% each time he is out on the field, but Friday night we got a glimpse again of what he will become...

I personally can see a place for him in the team, it may not be regular, but he will be there

Comment was made in the commentary that Jetta's leading our forward-50 tackles for the year by a wide margin. His attack on man and ball is very much required. Hell, look what happens when the whole team takes a leaf out his (and Jordie Mac's) book!

I like his lateral movement - ability to step around players and of course his effort. Hopefuly his disposal continues to improve, he's going

to be very handy player to have around. Not in the top 22, but with injuries he should always be getting games.

I'm normally a hater but on Friday night I found myself saying wow Jetta had a good one.

Consistency the key for me, tackles are good but you need to be offence too. Two goals had me impressed however.

I think there is a lot more potential in him than Aussie.

Like his work, especially over the previous couple of weeks when where not playing well as a team.

Never gives up and has a number of dimensions to his game.

IMO, Jetta has simply been miscast by us.

He came to the club around the time Davey was being moved up the ground, so we evaluated Nev as a forward.

But the guys a mid, he doesn't have blinding pace.

He is solid, and this preseason he clearly put in a lot of work and put on a lot of weight.

I was converted after the West Coast preseason game - his tackling was absolutely phenomenal

He laid a ripper of a bump on someone at one stage, not sure who it was but I enjoyed it.

I like his sidestep, it gives him an evasive edge that he needs. He seems to read the play pretty well as well. I think he needs more fitness so he can get in more contests, but it's nice to have a player out there who you can see is having a red hot go.

He'll keep getting criticized when we lose if he keeps playing at this level, but a tiny bit of improvement and he'll be a regular.

Agree with all of the above. He and Jamie Bennell were thrown in the deep end when they first arrived as barely 18 year olds. Nev has come on in leaps and bounds this year. To me, he has realised that where he can involve himself in the game....being tackles and contests, it creates the opportunity for proper possessions. This is happening, and his confidence is growing accordingly. I would like to think that his competitiveness at the contested ball will become a constant, because everything else flows from there.

This holds true for others on the list, who are realising that being in a 'contest' for the ball, and working hard on the opposition with the ball, means you'll be much more likely to get touches.....seems simple.

I hope he doesn't get done for that bump. His feet left the ground and he just got Stanton in the head from what I saw, Stanton was down for a bit.

I'm guessing he'll get a week.

I was once called Neville Jetta's mum on this board because of the support I tried to drum up for him in the face of the constant criticosm he was receiving. I actually have Nr 39 on my jumper I wear to the games.

I spoke to Matty Whelan a couple of years ago and he said he was really enjoying working with Nev and I asked him if he was teaching him to be like him and he just smiled

Now in the 3 word analysis we have Nev likened to Wheels, which I am sure Nev would not accept...YET

Posters on the board need to realise that when a player initially arrives, unless your name happens to be Tom Scully, you are at least two years away from being anywhere near an AFL player, Neville is improving all the time, but the one thing he has always had is heart.....and will give 100% each time he is out on the field, but Friday night we got a glimpse again of what he will become...

I personally can see a place for him in the team, it may not be regular, but he will be there

ABSOLutely!!! I love his tenacious attitude, and willingness to get his hands dirty. Great little fella.

IMO, Jetta has simply been miscast by us.

He came to the club around the time Davey was being moved up the ground, so we evaluated Nev as a forward.

But the guys a mid, he doesn't have blinding pace.

He is solid, and this preseason he clearly put in a lot of work and put on a lot of weight.

I was converted after the West Coast preseason game - his tackling was absolutely phenomenal

Good to see Jetta give his all.

But he will struggle with a fit list and when Grimes, Tapscott return from injury and Blease and Strauss start to mature. The rise of Evans will also be challening.

ABSOLutely!!! I love his tenacious attitude, and willingness to get his hands dirty. Great little fella.

I'm quickly warming to him. I'd love for him to add even MORE niggling/attitude to his game... someone like a Ballantyne or Milne who just frustrates and annoys the hell out of their opponents and their fans. Our team on the whole will never be full of smartasses but it's good to have at least one who can cause the opposition to chuck a wobbly and give us a 50 meter penalty or two.

I reckon we'll see Wattsy getting in the faces of opposition players next year. I'd love to see him give it back. Take a big hanger and just say "that's why i went number one!".

Edited by rhaz

Been a big improver this year thats for sure. His games against the Saints and the Dons were a big step in the right direction and i hope he can continue to play good solid footy. Can definitely see him becoming an important player to our structures and ive really noticed his defensive forward pressure since he came back into the side. He certainly keeps his spot for now. I also agree that he has more of an upside than Aussie

Is neat and tidy, is ferocious and a great tackler.

Prime small forward material. There's a place for him if the planets align and he keeps improving.

Interesting that BP wrote that Jetta had been playing as a small forward only because that was the vacant spot in the side and you need to take what you're given, but that it's not his forte. (It made me think that perhaps I needed to see more of Jetta before I marked his card).

Interesting that BP wrote that Jetta had been playing as a small forward only because that was the vacant spot in the side and you need to take what you're given, but that it's not his forte. (It made me think that perhaps I needed to see more of Jetta before I marked his card).

Kid's a mid.

But I don't think he will cut it to be in our midfield.

Kid's a mid.

Indeed, and I don't think he's prime small forward material either.

But I don't think he will cut it to be in our midfield.

Neither do I (hence my comments on Jetta now and in the past).

Good to see Jetta give his all.

But he will struggle with a fit list and when Grimes, Tapscott return from injury and Blease and Strauss start to mature. The rise of Evans will also be challening.

Thats exactly what we want. The futures Yet to be seeen. Only speculated on.

Go Nev!