Strauss

Vagg

I don't think there's anything wrong with picking out flaws in someone's game (even if it's their third).

Indeed. I'd rather some balanced views instead of the gushing praise that's generally provided.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All points are valid, strauss had some bad kicks, not all at ideal times (they never are), he is apparently an elite kick....

Frawley is apparently an AA back hasnt shown much of it this year, but he is coming back from injury.... Strauss is playing his 3rd game who do we expect more of?

my point also relates to Frawley continuously running into trouble then feeding a suicide handball, has the press hurt his run? Question?

Simple error could have cost us the game...Essendon were coming home hard.

Jurrah missed two goals that would have won the game, Bennell one & Gawn one. Strauss shanked from memory 2 kicks Friday night, the rest were to advantage or lace out. We shouldn't have been in the position to be losing the game but the forwards didn't put the nail in.

Absolutely...i want him to play next Monday, but he must tighten up, particularly as a defender. That is his job.

He shut down Zaharakis. I think he needs games at AFL level to gain fitness & be able to run out games more effectively.

Rubbish.

I break disposal by foot into 3 distinct categories to be judged on:

1. Kicking skill - the skill of actually kicking the ball to a certain spot on the ground, including aspects like penetration, distance, height, speed, rotation, snaps, and kicking on the non-preferred side.

2. Decision making - choosing the correct option to kick the ball to, choosing where to place it (kicking it to spot A, rather than spot B ), recognising this in enough time to effectively execute.

3. Kicking under pressure - the ability to ignore/absorb physical and perceived pressure whilst executing the skill.

Strauss is a very good kick, his decision-making and executing under pressure have required work, but are improving drastically.

This is normal for a developing player.

With more time at AFL level he will adjust and find a comfort level where he can properly showcase his kicking skill.

Maric is also a very good kick, and is also working on areas 2 & 3.

That's an excellent summation, too often people make judgements that are simplistic. Strauss still needs to hold his nerve under extreme duress, he looks like he is making good progress. He made a few good decisions and a couple of bad ones. Once he feels more comfortable his kicking abilities will show out.

More importantly he made some strong spoils and he looks like his heart is in it. We desperately need a player like Strauss patrolling half back. He is getting physically stronger and looks like he will finish up with a good physique, he is quick and can break the lines and hits targets. He is also capable of making a spoil.

Has all the tools and is proving to be teachable. Hopefully he can stay on the park.

Steady on TU, he is a great kick of the footy on exposed form at Casey.

Give the kid a chance to adjust to the next level.

Sub standard?

He will be an exceptional kick.

I bet you criticise Maric's kicking too...

Crikey you're not reviving that Maric argument are you?

Did that flogging you took in the hotel room (what was that, Season Five?) do more damage than first realised?

Listen, back to Strauss. I admit having shifted from seeing nothing exciting in his two previous games to being a little impressed this week.

Showed tackling intent, run and reasonable use of the ball apart from that last quarter clanger that for many will leave a query over his kicking for a bit longer. But overall, an impressive outing from the kid.

On the positive side:

1. Most seem to agree that on Friday's showing he may not be the drafting failure some had called (way too early IMO) and may become an important player for us

2. I know it was only one game (and is largely irrelevant in the long run) but after all of the previous threads it was good to see him beat Zaharakis

He looked OK. He's got a long way to go - look at the Ryder contest in the last, lion v deer. But he's got the tools - size, pace and a good kick. He's going to need a big investment in game time and he'll need everything to go right - no injuries. When Tapscott, Bartram and Garland come back there'll be a lot of pressure for spots in the back 6. The season injury to Grimes gives him a chance. Strauss vs Macdonald is the essence of development selection.

I think the best piece of play he did on the second quarter, which showed his development from his first two games, was when Watts gave him a crap switch of play in defence. He held off his opponent and beat another coming to dish a handpass off back to Watts and we escaped. In his first game last year we would never have seen that.

His skills and decision making should improve with game time but lets not point out one mistake that could have cost the game beacuase if we go down that road I am sure we could point out many others from other players.

bottom line is, he played a good game, maybe looked shaky once or twice, but competed well, and really only got beat once or twice in marking contests, once against crameri who wasnt his direct opponent but he manned up to provide a contest.

he has bulked up, he switched the ball well, he applied great defensive pressure, and only had one goal kicked on him, which was off the break. Sure his kicking cant be considered elite yet, but there are few players who after 3 games who have elite kicking in relation to afl. I think it is more he has the possibility of posessing an elite kick.

has to play this week, and will have a much tougher task thats for sure.

He shut down Zaharakis. I think he needs games at AFL level to gain fitness & be able to run out games more effectively.

I agree completely, hope he plays next monday...we need to find out where he is at after 3-4 seasons.

He looked OK. He's got a long way to go - look at the Ryder contest in the last, lion v deer. But he's got the tools - size, pace and a good kick. He's going to need a big investment in game time and he'll need everything to go right - no injuries. When Tapscott, Bartram and Garland come back there'll be a lot of pressure for spots in the back 6. The season injury to Grimes gives him a chance. Strauss vs Macdonald is the essence of development selection.

I agree, long way to go.

But in the short time I have seen him play I always thought he lacked confidence.

Which leads to my counterintuitive satisfaction at the Ryder 'take-on.'

He didn't paddle the ball or flinch, and he thought he could run through a ruckman, albeit a soft one (no offence to Bombers fans who have said worse about young Demons I might add...).

I enjoyed the simple arrogance of it.

I agree, long way to go.

But in the short time I have seen him play I always thought he lacked confidence.

He didn't paddle the ball or flinch, and he thought he could run through a ruckman, albeit a soft one (no offence to Bombers fans who have said worse about young Demons I might add...).

That paragraph made me smile.

God i love to hate Essendon

I agree, long way to go.

thats how i saw it too - i dont see any VFL so all i can go on is reviews and Strauss seems to be labelled a little timid at the contest. Even though he was caught ( albeit by the shorts) - he went straight at a player much bigger and heavier without the slightest hesitation. I wasnt pleased with the end result but cant question the application.

I mostly agree, but I think we'd be keen to move Tapscott further up the ground if we could, so that might be one less player he needs to worry about.

Zaharakis and Melksham looked really slow and average on friday. I was not impressed. I'd take Strauss before either.

Your kidding.

Straus looked soft and confused. IMO, he is well off the pace.

Zaharakis and Melksham looked really slow and average on friday. I was not impressed. I'd take Strauss before either.

Melksham was one of their best on Friday.

Both of them have about 10 times the credits Strauss has.

That's not to say Strauss won't make it as a player, but right now, if you had to pick one, it wouldn't be Strauss (it would be Melksham IMO).

Guest Artie Bucco

Thanks DC, at least somebody reads before they bite...!

Don't pat yourself on the back too quickly, it was still a poor comment.

That context is largely irrelevant.

The only context that matters is that it is his 3rd game and you are criticising a single error.

Even an elite player like Luke Hodge makes errors like this over the course of a match.

Very few players ever play a perfect game.

Surely a 3rd gamer can be excused?

Edited by Artie Bucco

Don't pat yourself on the back too quickly, it was still a poor comment.

That context is largely irrelevant.

The only context that matters is that it is his 3rd game and you are criticising a single error.

Even an elite player like Luke Hodge makes errors like this over the course of a match.

Very few players ever play a perfect game.

Surely a 3rd gamer can be excused?

you miss the point again Artie

but go ahead and have the last word