• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

I have no problem drafting J viney at 3.... Dees would be stupid not to.

Would have loved to get him in the second round but GCS aren't that dumb - plus I think you'll find J Viney will end up being rated a top 3 pick in years to come anyway (based on the hype around here anyway haha)

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems to me that some Melbourne supporters have kind of slipped into a welfare mentality where we think we haven't been afforded enough by the system. We want it all but don't want to have to pay f

Read between the lines folks. Effectively the club through Viney is telling both Gold Coast and GWS that they will call their bluff on pick 3. If either choose to take Viney at one or two then the MFC

If that is the case it's pretty simple we take him at 3. No drama at all.

We have to play their bluff right to the end and say we will pick the very best available.

Even though we will be prepared to take him at 3

I don't know why. Jack Viney is what he is, and no-one is going to get him to coddle up to daddy and say 'I don't want to leave the state' or some BS like that.

He is going to be a great player and we have to decide - should GC elect to bid for him - whether or not we want to get over the fact we have taken him at 3.

He is exactly the character this group needs.

Gold Coast have come out and declared Sam Day and Daniel Gorringe won't be traded for Tippett.

It looks as though they will receive a Gary Ablett compensation pick from Geelong for Caddy, which isn't active in this years draft.

If they take Viney with 2 then they go into trade week with only pick 25 to trade for Tippett. The Lions will be bidding their pick 8 without a shadow of doubt.

Something doesn't add up.

The MFC have totally mis-managed this. There was chance for us to take him at 20-something but that's gone.

The Suns will bid 2, and I'm not convinced that they would have anyway.

It is crap the way every other club can get their act together and engineer situations to suit themselves. Example: Luke Ball, Chris Tarrant. Probably Kurt Tippett if the Suns play their part well. Remember Luke Ball saying he'd take time away from football if any other club chose him. Bally doubles down...doesn't he?

It is amateur hour at Melbourne! If anyone cares to put up an argument of how can we control what is said by Jack Viney, son of a MFC champion... then how on earth are we going to win the hearts and minds of anyone else. He should be as Red and Blue as Norm Smith himself!

Credit where it's due, I love what Harrington was doing... full marks!

• Like 2

The MFC have totally mis-managed this. There was chance for us to take him at 20-something but that's gone.

The Suns will bid 2, and I'm not convinced that they would have anyway.

It is crap the way every other club can get their act together and engineer situations to suit themselves. Example: Luke Ball, Chris Tarrant. Probably Kurt Tippett if the Suns play their part well. Remember Luke Ball saying he'd take time away from football if any other club chose him. Bally doubles down...doesn't he?

It is amateur hour at Melbourne! If anyone cares to put up an argument of how can we control what is said by Jack Viney, son of a MFC champion... then how on earth are we going to win the hearts and minds of anyone else. He should be as Red and Blue as Norm Smith himself!

I agree with this.

The kid is the Dad's recruiting manager FFS

It's actually embarrassing how inept club is.

It's all just a bit of brinkmanship, Viney will be a Demon, have no doubt.

GC don't need another 18 year old mid-fielder, they're set in that department.

We've got picks 3 and 4 and other than Viney we're not going for any more kiddies, they'll be used as bait to secure players from other clubs still under contract

This

If I was GC I'd say "Caddy + 23 for 4 (that I'd use on Tippett). That gives you Caddy for free. You've got two choices:

1. Viney + 24

2. Caddy + 23 + Viney"

Sounds like a very likely scenario.

Pick 4 would be good bait to lure a player like Dawes as well

I agree with your sentiments but Harrington is one of the reasons we have pick 3 in this draft. Appalling list management and recruiting. He seems to want to use Scully as an excuse for our list being years behind where it should be...truck load of good Scully would have been with his tiny frame and terrible kicking.

I agree with this.

The kid is the Dad's recruiting manager FFS

It's actually embarrassing how inept club is.

We have no idea what is being said behind closed doors.

If it was reported that Jack said he won't go to any other club bar Melbourne, that he would leave the moment his first 2 year contract was up it may pump the chests of us supporters but may get the AFL to add a draft tampering inquiry to the tanking inquiry

Who knows perhaps we are actually playing this very well

I agree with your sentiments but Harrington is one of the reasons we have pick 3 in this draft. Appalling list management and recruiting. He seems to want to use Scully as an excuse for our list being years behind where it should be...truck load of good Scully would have been with his tiny frame and terrible kicking.

You do know what Harrington's role is, don't you?

If I was GC I'd say "Caddy + 23 for 4 (that I'd use on Tippett). That gives you Caddy for free. You've got two choices:

1. Viney + 24

2. Caddy + 23 + Viney"

Have you forgotten anyone? GWS.

What a load of RUBBISH

If Gold Coast want VIney, they will bid for him at pick 2. And they have every right to

Having said that GC will need pick 2 for the Kurt Tippet trade, so I cant see them bidding,

OK, I agree with you if they want him... BID! But don't allow them to bid because they know we'll choose him at 3. It is brinksmanship, and you have to get it in the Suns mind that you choose him, fine we'll take Toumpas/O'Rourke/Wines/Hogan. Sucked in!

Get the media to run a story about JV 'managing' OP, don't allow them to do a medical and say take him if you want him. MFC win, and we get him with the 2nd pick.

Now, Tippett. The Sun's are well placed to engineer a PSD scenario. Admittedly GWS are in the way, but they'll suck the marrow out of that bone before they hand over any picks. The likelihood of GC giving up pick 2 is minimal. (Not to say it won't happen, but Adelaide have got to get Kissinger to the table if it's going to happen.)

Don't be a twink and tell me that I'd offer Petterd either.

Says if we don't pick him he won't come back to us - he will make us 'pay'.

Bit weird this story coming out. "I don't owe anything to Melbourne aside from my Dad playing there."

Clearly he doesn't want to go to the Gold Coast but this article worries me.....

We have no idea what is being said behind closed doors.

If it was reported that Jack said he won't go to any other club bar Melbourne, that he would leave the moment his first 2 year contract was up it may pump the chests of us supporters but may get the AFL to add a draft tampering inquiry to the tanking inquiry

Who knows perhaps we are actually playing this very well

Good post and I hope correct.

This is why we MUST draft him at 3, He clearly wants to be a melbourne player and a bloody good one at that. With all these rumours circling about players not wanting to play at melbourne etc. why wouldn't we not draft someone who does?? Viney is well worth pick 3 and he will make us pay big time if we do not select him. That is why for me there is no question... he's an automatic selection as soon as pick 3 comes around.

• Like 2

I'm sure he is just sick of being asked questions he isn't able to answer. I'm sure Jack will happily go wherever he is drafted and be a very good player for that team.

From the MFC perspective, if we rank him within our top 4 draft prospects we should take him at pick 3. If not GC17 can have him and I'm sure we'll draft yet another injury prone stick insect instead.

• Like 3

GWS and Gold Coast won't bid; GWS wouldn't risk missing Whitfield/Grundy and GC will need to hold on to pick 2 for a possible Tippett deal - stress less.

OK, I agree with you if they want him... BID! But don't allow them to bid because they know we'll choose him at 3. It is brinksmanship, and you have to get it in the Suns mind that you choose him, fine we'll take Toumpas/O'Rourke/Wines/Hogan. Sucked in!

Get the media to run a story about JV 'managing' OP, don't allow them to do a medical and say take him if you want him. MFC win, and we get him with the 2nd pick.

Now, Tippett. The Sun's are well placed to engineer a PSD scenario. Admittedly GWS are in the way, but they'll suck the marrow out of that bone before they hand over any picks. The likelihood of GC giving up pick 2 is minimal. (Not to say it won't happen, but Adelaide have got to get Kissinger to the table if it's going to happen.)

Don't be a twink and tell me that I'd offer Petterd either.

I'm pretty sure that would all be considered draft tampering.