Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

I don't understand why all the talk hasn't been about Daniher. He apparently is a gun and possible #1 pick if he were not F/S to the bummers. Taking out the Sheedy factor, why is no one talking about GC/GWS taking him off the bummers?

The assumption is that the bummers will need to use their 1st round pick but it has not been mentioned which clubs would force this pick to be used.

Footscray will nominate Daniher and GWS will nominate Viney.

Everyone knows that Daniher is heading to Essendon and Viney to Melbourne, and both clubs will use their first round picks to achieve that, because both players are worth it.

There is no downside for either Footscray or GWS to nominate, so they will. ( ...and Sheedy will because he hates us)

• Like 1

The reason is The Scum have already stated they will use their 1st pick on Daniher therefore he is untouchable. End of story.

Obvious answer if I'd given it some thought. They're happy to use first round pick because he's worth #1 and they only need to use #10.

No downside for GWS????? There certainly is if we call their bluff and then they miss out on drafting Lachie Whitfield because they are forced to take Viney, who would then just return to us once his rookie contract comes to an end.

I can't help but feel that Viney would basically be telling GC and GWS that he wants to play for the Demons, whether it be now or in two years. Can't help but think that Todd would be helping him out in that area, trying to scare them off.

I can't help but feel that Viney would basically be telling GC and GWS that he wants to play for the Demons, whether it be now or in two years. Can't help but think that Todd would be helping him out in that area, trying to scare them off.

Todd and Jack are consummate professionals - they will go where they are needed.

If Viney joins GWS or Gold Coast, he's playing there for life.

But indeed he won't be, so it's all a moot point, which seems to get lost on enough people to let this thread go on for 22 pages.

• Like 1

There is no downside to GWS or GC because we will take Viney at 3. He is worth it. He is a top ten pick, so we will use our first round pick on him. And they STILL get to pick who they want at 1 & 2!

It is exactly the same for Essendon. Why would any team below them NOT nominate Daniher. IF those team don't, then they gift Essendon a top 5 player and (probably the best player ) with a second round pick.

There is no love between clubs. Everyone will be a mongrel, just to be a mongrel.

Can I just say that when posters use another font type to make their posts stand out - I immediately think: 'this person has no confidence that anyone will read what they say.'

Just use the default font type.

Actually, i dont log in that much, so when i pop in to see the latest when i can, its easier to spot where i left off last in a particular thread..

But since you know everything and insist on telling us about it- in every post, in every thread, on every page- (congrats on the 10,000 posts too)

i'll just move on..

"O.Wines is an inside-mid with leadership qualities, -just like Viney- theyre almost the same player, they grew up / trained together.. now viney has 3 kgs on Greene, BUT wines has 3 kgs on viney!"

Viney is a better inside mid than Wines, Dan. Viney is quicker, has a better sidestep..., is more aggressive, more manic at the contest, and is a more reliable kick over 30-40 metres. Viney doesn't have great penetration in his kicking, but he's very accurate over a shorter distance.

Anyone who has watched a bit of Wines and researched him knows that his kicking is little better than average and lets him down on occasions.

Thats just your opinion, Ben.

Wines is just as quick as Viney, aggression and attack on the contest (add tackling, endurance) are all equal to that of viney, if not better.. i'd say better.

watch for yourself, he bursts out of packs and hits up targets superbly and tackles like a beast, takes a nice mark.. its all there:

In fact, just a week or so after you posted this reply,

Wines was awarded the tac cup / u-18 player of the series - was on Future Stars - sunday morning - hopefully its on the net somewhere..

Shifter spoke glowingly about him.. and this from contested footy (the 1st article i pulled up..)

Quick Notes on Oliver Wines

• Very strong bodied- AFL ready
  • Inside player
  • Attacks the footy hard
  • Exceptional endurance
  • Good skills hands or feet
  • Great tackling technique
  • Reads the game well

No mention of

"Anyone who has watched a bit of Wines and researched him knows that his kicking is little better than average and lets him down on occasions"

From either Sheehan, or in any article ive read.. and i'll take his opinion before anyones.. i dont where you got that info..

IMO - Wines is the best inside mid atm.. id take him at No.4 in a heartbeat.. a micheal voss type with leadership all written over him.

this too - http://www.afl.com.a...x?newsid=139314

..and if someones stupid enough to leave us the next andrew mcleod in Toumpas (his running style will be corrected as soon as he gets to a club and his hips will be fine)

or Grundy, who looks plays like he'd scare Dean Cox out of a contest.. then bring it on.. you cant give up the 2nd live pick in this draft, if offered..

Viney will come home imo.. or we'd try like buggery!

-in saying this, as we get closer, i have a gut feeling we will chicken out and take him if called by the suns at 2-

Ive said it before and i will say it again... There is no way GCS or GWS will risk pick one or two on a player who is likely to want out after two yrs. If you were their recruitement officer, would you do it??? MASSIVE RISK!!!

correct possibly ... this is why melbourne picked Watts instead of Nic Nat.

Why are we worried about getting Viney? We've got the third pick, we take the best available. If he's not it at 3 and GC or GWS pay over for him that's great isn't it?

• Like 1

Those other pastures.. Always greener hey ...hmmm

Viney may be rated by some recruiters between 5-8 in the draft but there are other intangibles that add to his value due to the exposure we have had to him.

He has had time in our system already.

We know what we are getting with Viney and how he will adapt to the rigours of an AFL pre season (which he completed in most part).

We have seen him play against men.

We know he will be true to the jumper and not a turncoat like others may be.

I watched Whitfields and Vineys pressers yesterday and in one I saw a young boy and the other I saw a warrior. I would put my money on Viney having the better career not necessarily out of talent but out of want. Viney is a sure thing 150-200 gamer at worst. He is a culture changing once in a generation mid at best. Whitfield is a nice player unproven against men. I hope we get the added value of him in the second round but if required we would be mad to not take him at 3.

• Like 11

Actually, i dont log in that much, so when i pop in to see the latest when i can, its easier to spot where i left off last in a particular thread..

But since you know everything and insist on telling us about it- in every post, in every thread, on every page- (congrats on the 10,000 posts too)

i'll just move on..

Thats just your opinion, Ben.

Wines is just as quick as Viney, aggression and attack on the contest (add tackling, endurance) are all equal to that of viney, if not better.. i'd say better.

watch for yourself, he bursts out of packs and hits up targets superbly and tackles like a beast, takes a nice mark.. its all there:

In fact, just a week or so after you posted this reply,

Wines was awarded the tac cup / u-18 player of the series - was on Future Stars - sunday morning - hopefully its on the net somewhere..

Shifter spoke glowingly about him.. and this from contested footy (the 1st article i pulled up..)

• Inside player
  • Attacks the footy hard
  • Exceptional endurance
  • Reads the game well

No mention of

"Anyone who has watched a bit of Wines and researched him knows that his kicking is little better than average and lets him down on occasions"

From either Sheehan, or in any article ive read.. and i'll take his opinion before anyones.. i dont where you got that info..

IMO - Wines is the best inside mid atm.. id take him at No.4 in a heartbeat.. a micheal voss type with leadership all written over him.

this too - http://www.afl.com.a...x?newsid=139314

..and if someones stupid enough to leave us the next andrew mcleod in Toumpas (his running style will be corrected as soon as he gets to a club and his hips will be fine)

or Grundy, who looks plays like he'd scare Dean Cox out of a contest.. then bring it on.. you cant give up the 2nd live pick in this draft, if offered..

Viney will come home imo.. or we'd try like buggery!

-in saying this, as we get closer, i have a gut feeling we will chicken out and take him if called by the suns at 2-

Yes, I saw TAC Future Stars. And no need for the notes.

Wines is a good player. You don't need to convince anyone. Just not as quick, or as good 'inside' as Jack. Viney is the stand-out inside mid in the draft. You won't get an argument from anyone - except the mirror.

Well done on the effort though.

getting both Viney and Wines would be absolutely orgasmic. Talk about a duo to lead the Dees midfield into the next decade. Other tea,ms will not know what hit them, these 2 kids are absolutely maniacal in their attack on the footy and man.

Pretty sure they are old mates too?

• Like 1

We will take Jack in the draft at whatever pick it takes, he's just what we need and someone we know. Whitfield may be a good player or he may be another $cully who dominates the kids but gets dominated by men. Jack is the best player in the draft for us as we know what he can do and we know just how good he is and will be, the rest are just speculative. Jack is a better player than Toby Green and he's not a bad little pick up is he.

I know they are similar but I would love to have Wines there as well and if we could get Toumpas at 3 or 4 I'd be a happy Melbourne supporter, 3 players all ready to go next year.

Throw in a couple of mature players and I'd have to agree with Mrs Robbie that we could finish 9th next year.

• Like 2

We will take Jack in the draft at whatever pick it takes, he's just what we need and someone we know. Whitfield may be a good player or he may be another $cully who dominates the kids but gets dominated by men. Jack is the best player in the draft for us as we know what he can do and we know just how good he is and will be, the rest are just speculative. Jack is a better player than Toby Green and he's not a bad little pick up is he.

I know they are similar but I would love to have Wines there as well and if we could get Toumpas at 3 or 4 I'd be a happy Melbourne supporter, 3 players all ready to go next year.

Throw in a couple of mature players and I'd have to agree with Mrs Robbie that we could finish 9th next year.

I think i would be more comfortable taking Viney over Whitfield, we know Viney alot more, and Inside players can generally stay in the game Whitfield can play inside also but not as well at this point in time. You cannot by Vineys, aggression and commitment to the contest and physicality. just ask Cale.

Yes, I saw TAC Future Stars. And no need for the notes.

Wines is a good player. You don't need to convince anyone. Just not as quick, or as good 'inside' as Jack. Viney is the stand-out inside mid in the draft.

You won't get an argument from anyone - except the mirror.

Well done on the effort though.

Thats funny because in the very line before that you ARGUE - 'Just not as quick...'

Plenty of people put Wines ahead of JV..

People that can actually retain a certain amount of what they read and spit it back out in some form of opinion, that actually adds to the discussion..

of which youre obviously not one.. because you have a boner for him.. its weird.

..and the video and links were for everyone.. get over yourself.

• Inside player
  • Attacks the footy hard
  • Exceptional endurance
  • Reads the game well

No mention of

Sheahans job is to pump up the kids, rarely if ever do you hear anything negative from him. He is the guy that tells us that so and so is like Judd, Goodes or Selwood, then the kid lands at the club and the supporters think they have the next Judd, Goodes or Selwood and get disappointed when he doesn't step up in his first year and maybe never steps up.

Wines looks a good kid and there are a few in this draft, we will have Viney and a couple of his mates to build around Jones, Trengove ,Grimes and Blease to create the midfield we want.

Edited by rjay

And herein lies the great conundrum.

Jack Viney is a known quantity to us, so why all the pathetic angst about spending a high draft pick on him?

I'll tell you why: Beacase no club has ever had to use a top ten draft pick on a father-son selection.

And why is it that we have to be the first to do so?

BEACUSE WE WERE [censored] THIS YEAR and thus were rewarded with a top ten draft pick!

Get over it my friends and shed your welfare mentality you'll feel all the better for it.

its nothing to do with being the first club to use a top 10 pick on a F/S. Its the opportunity to snare 3 top ten picks this year instead of 2 top ten picks. thats a massive difference.

Sheahans job is to pump up the kids, rarely if ever do you hear anything negative from him. He is the guy that tells us that so and so is like Judd, Goodes or Selwood, then the kid lands at the club and the supporters think they have the next Judd, Goodes or Selwood and get disappointed when he doesn't step up in his first year and maybe never steps up.

Fair enough.. i agree.

But not all were presented with an award for the 'best player'..

Sheehan reserved that for the best player over the ten matches, that deserved an extra highlight..

on a show that is there to do just that.

..and this year it was Wines.

Having them both, him and viney as really good mates, on the team would be awesome and id expect an indigenous type connection between them..

If we don't draft viney in the second round, we don't know how to trade.

For heavens sake, surely we can have a heart to heart with gc, and even after a solid conversation do gc still want to bid for viney, then surely we can trade the number 4 pick for something worthwhile, such as gaff.

We must get viney, but to draft him first round would be stupid.