WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

Can someone explain to me why we have telegraphed our desire to draft Jack to all and sundry so clearly?

Seems to me that we may have been better off just playing it cool and trying to pick him up at with a later pick.

By getting all barred up about a 17 year old kid are we not at risk of missing out on the best possible player in this year's supposed super draft?

There is no doubt GWS will bid for him now as it's a free hit at getting us to use our first pick on him when if we played it a bit smarter we could have bluffed them into not bidding and picked him up with a second rounder.

Please explain?

1 - He would've been a high pick anyway so no chance of grabbing him with a late pick 2 - We did this as the Crows were sniffing around and to aid his development

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a high pick and isn't a good player but by telegraphing exactly what we're going to do we have removed all doubt. Say he's ranked 7th pick, if we didn't advise everyone in the world then it's unlikely GWS would bid for him and risk passing up 6 better players.

If the Crows were sniffing around for a 16 year old then good luck to them and Jack if he wanted to play for them, we simply move on and pick another player.

Seems to me the club thought we'd be pushing for the 8 this year andperhaps get a much lower draft pick and therefore we'd get a bargain regardless - WRONG!

Can someone explain to me why we have telegraphed our desire to draft Jack to all and sundry so clearly?

Seems to me that we may have been better off just playing it cool and trying to pick him up at with a later pick.

By getting all barred up about a 17 year old kid are we not at risk of missing out on the best possible player in this year's supposed super draft?

There is no doubt GWS will bid for him now as it's a free hit at getting us to use our first pick on him when if we played it a bit smarter we could have bluffed them into not bidding and picked him up with a second rounder.

Please explain?

This.

1 - He would've been a high pick anyway so no chance of grabbing him with a late pick

2 - We did this as the Crows were sniffing around and to aid his development

For the sake of paying slightly overs we have been able to secure him, and had the chance to give him a fast start to life in the AFL.

Worth the overs.

• Like 1

Guest gidon

This.

For the sake of paying slightly overs we have been able to secure him, and had the chance to give him a fast start to life in the AFL.

Worth the overs.

Lucky we have the Compo pick as a back up. Otherwise it could have been a disaster draft. Not saying Viney will be a disaster, just that we could have missed out picking the best available at pick 3. This is suppose to be best draft for a long time.

Still i hope that we only need to use a second rounder for Viney. Time for the club to try and use this situation to our advantage. C'mon Melbourne play hard ball!!!

Back on topic. Im keen to see Viney play. I may take the drive to have a look first hand. I suggest there would be a big Dee supporter turn out for his first game. The first game that isnt at Symmonds Stadium that is

Worth the overs.

Agree - but then again, we don't know that we will be paying overs, even at Pick 3 (if that's where we get him).

I agree with Emma Quayle re this, I just do not understand the consternation expressed by some here. One of the easiest drafting decisions we'll ever have to make, whatever pick he goes at. And the idea that we can somehow "hide" someone who's already racking up under-age BOG nominations is a bit beyond me. Every man and his dog knows about Viney and his capabilities - which is why Adelaide were sniffing round when he was only 16.

Still no direct quotes from the club, just the usual "Melbourne has privately conceded" gibber from the press. Silence does not mean we've privately conceded anything, it may just mean we are playing a straight bat. The club won't comment now, because no one knows how things will unfold. We could have a great second half to the season, and JV could elevate himself to a top 3 draft proposition. Then again, we could continue the season from hell and JV could drop out of top 10 contention, have more OP or another bad injury.

If the latter happens, you'll start to hear rumblings of our willingness to call GWS and GC on their bluff. Whilst privately we will probably always be willing to take him with our first round pick, we'll certainly use every means possible to remind the teams below us just what they risk if they give up their freedom to choose their first round pick for a lock on drafting JV. If we don't, we'd be incompetent.

Question marks on his acceleration? Spare me! He may not be lighting quick but I've seen him play 5 times now and he has enough speed. Tell me how quick Sam Mitchell and Lenny Hayes are?

I haven't seen him play yet, but from what I hear, he may just end up being our Sam Mitchell or Lenny Hayes. In fact, didn't one commentator describe him as a "more violent Sam Mitchell"? I love that quote.

I say we win the next 17 matches or so, finish top 3 and use a pick in the late 20's to snare him... bargain!

• Like 4

Jack is ours that's irrefutable and if we have to pay with our first round pick then so be it, it would be great to get him with a second rounder but it probably won't happen and if we win a few games from here on in it certainly won't happen. We have to show some integrity and restore some credibility back in the club, so we need to demonstrate that our word is solid and if we've said we will take him, we must, whatever the cost.

He will be worth it but if we play ducks and drakes with his future what does that say to him about us?

• Like 3

This.

Worth the overs.

I think that we as club should harden up and take a stance like Eddy McGuire would here.

We should be threatening GWS or GCS through the media for major retribution if they even consider

to name him first up given that they have never spoken to him let alone offered him something realistic then. Simply they are playing games and are insincere.

If so, watch out for raids by MFC when free agency opens and other hostile trading in the future. Make our policy be known. Lets get mad and fire up about this ffs!! He aint a #1 or #2 pick so why should we be paying above market price?? We should as a club, make our stand very clear, that we will not stand for this!!

Lets not let the 2 weakest clubs dictate terms to us ffs. How weak are we?

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

I think that we as club should harden up and take a stance like Eddy McGuire would here.

We should be threatening GWS or GCS through the media for major retribution if they even consider

to name him first up given that they have never spoken to him let alone offered him something realistic then. Simply they are playing games and are insincere.

If so, watch out for raids by MFC when free agency opens and other hostile trading in the future. Make our policy be known. Lets get mad and fire up about this ffs!! He aint a #1 or #2 pick so why should we be paying above market price?? We should as a club, make our stand very clear, that we will not stand for this!!

Whose to say we haven't or won't, behind closed doors?

I don't think we need to publicise everything like Eddie Everywhere does.

But that's a bit ill-considered and disingenuous to suggest we're letting "the 2 weakest clubs dictate terms to us."

FFS hyperbole much?

Just what is the problem here? Jack's a future star, he's ours, we'll get him with a top 10 pick. This idea of "market value" is just conjecture, and irrelevant even 6 months down the track. If not, the number 1 draft pick would win the Rising Star every year. He's clearly one of THE standout players in this year's draft. Win win win.

No-one's dictating terms, hard to see just what you're getting so worked up about.

Just what is the problem here? Jack's a future star, he's ours, we'll get him with a top 10 pick. This idea of "market value" is just conjecture, and irrelevant even 6 months down the track. If not, the number 1 draft pick would win the Rising Star every year. He's clearly one of THE standout players in this year's draft. Win win win.

No-one's dictating terms, hard to see just what you're getting so worked up about.

Totally incorrect Bing sorry. If we have Pick 3, and at the bidding for JV GWS and GC say "we will place a bid in for him, with no intention of picking him up, but forcing Melbourne to take him with Pick 3", then that is totally dictating terms on their behalf.

What would you call it when 2 Clubs place a bid for a player they have no desire to pick up?

my question is why would GWS take the risk? pretty sure GWS will sit back on this one and let GC take the risk if anything.

GWS would also be keen on our #3 pick for a 17 yr old. GWS has more reason not to bid then they do to bid. seriously 1 pick higher on a 2nd rounder isn't worth the risk and it would be irresponsible for them to take it. We are talking about a #1 draft pick int he strongest draft in a long time.