Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

Originally, when I was a little tired and emotional, I wanted to jam it right up Sheedy's clacker and call his bluff. My rage was along the lines of "I've followed a soft club that has been pushed around for years and I want this club to make a stand". I usually come to my senses (debatable), and realised that of course we'll take young Jack and pay whatever we have to. He's that good that it won't matter and as Robbie mentioned, he'll have a head start on every other draftee, he's what we desperately need, and we'll still (potentially) be kicking huge goals in this draft with other quality opportunities.

A couple of other things: if we can come up with something to satisfy GWS and GC to prevent them bidding then I'm all for it. Pipedream ?

And I don't understand why some think we declared our hand too early. We're getting extra development into Viney, we weren't a lay down misere to get him in the first place, and once he agreed to terms other clubs knew we'd take him.

Anyone that has followed Viney's progress knows that most consider him to be top 10 and once you're top 10 you're splitting hairs after the first couple. He won about 4 B&F's in a row at Ashburton junior footy club; he had to be put up a year at junior level because he was hurting the other kids; his junior coach said he's the toughest junior he's seen; he dominated the under 16 carnival when he represented SA as a bottom aged player; Terry Wallace has stated he's the best clearance player he's seen come through junior ranks in the last 5 years; he won the medal for best afield in last year's TAC Cup grand final in a losing team; David King stated recently that he "liked hurting people" and he nominated him to be in the best 10 players in the league in 5 years; and to top it off, an 18 year old debutante at VFL level brushes off a trainer as he comes off the ground with a fractured bone in his face.

Let's just be happy he's ours.

• Like 7

Guest José Mourinho

God knows we've needed one like this.

I can guarantee that if we weren't able to get him father-son, and his "real rating" was 7 and we took other talented kids with picks 3 and 4, a large majority of our supporters would be bemoaning the fact we hadn't selected a player who typifies exactly what we need.

Edited by José Mourinho

That is 6-8 weeks for any normal player but this is a Viney we're talking about!

It will depend a bit if it is mandible (lower jaw) or facial bones (upper jaw)?

Any details anyone?

From MN's presser it sounds as if there may have been things seen that aren't exactly Kosher. (Didn't see the footage myself).

It is a pity his start has been interrupted but given that he isn't going to be playing for MFC this year I am more concerned about the further interruption to Gys' development.

Originally, when I was a little tired and emotional, I wanted to jam it right up Sheedy's clacker and call his bluff. My rage was along the lines of "I've followed a soft club that has been pushed around for years and I want this club to make a stand". I usually come to my senses (debatable), and realised that of course we'll take young Jack and pay whatever we have to. He's that good that it won't matter and as Robbie mentioned, he'll have a head start on every other draftee, he's what we desperately need, and we'll still (potentially) be kicking huge goals in this draft with other quality opportunities.

A couple of other things: if we can come up with something to satisfy GWS and GC to prevent them bidding then I'm all for it. Pipedream ?

And I don't understand why some think we declared our hand too early. We're getting extra development into Viney, we weren't a lay down misere to get him in the first place, and once he agreed to terms other clubs knew we'd take him.

Anyone that has followed Viney's progress knows that most consider him to be top 10 and once you're top 10 you're splitting hairs after the first couple. He won about 4 B&F's in a row at Ashburton junior footy club; he had to be put up a year at junior level because he was hurting the other kids; his junior coach said he's the toughest junior he's seen; he dominated the under 16 carnival when he represented SA as a bottom aged player; Terry Wallace has stated he's the best clearance player he's seen come through junior ranks in the last 5 years; he won the medal for best afield in last year's TAC Cup grand final in a losing team; David King stated recently that he "liked hurting people" and he nominated him to be in the best 10 players in the league in 5 years; and to top it off, an 18 year old debutante at VFL level brushes off a trainer as he comes off the ground with a fractured bone in his face.

Good post.

"David King stated recently that he "liked hurting people" and he nominated him to be in the best 10 players in the league in 5 years" -- Could he become mentor to our previous Jack number 1 pick ??

Guest José Mourinho

It will depend a bit if it is mandible (lower jaw) or facial bones (upper jaw)?

Any details anyone?

From MN's presser it sounds as if there may have been things seen that aren't exactly Kosher. (Didn't see the footage myself).

It is a pity his start has been interrupted but given that he isn't going to be playing for MFC this year I am more concerned about the further interruption to Gys' development.

Footage on the AFL website and shown on Channel 7 at half time of Wojo bumping chests with Viney, then putting one on his chin, that was on par with the punch of Selwood by Raines last week.

This obviously wasn't what led to the broken jaw, but it gave insight into Wojo's intentions on the day.

Footage on the AFL website and shown on Channel 7 at half time of Wojo bumping chests with Viney, then putting one on his chin, that was on par with the punch of Selwood by Raines last week.

This obviously wasn't what led to the broken jaw, but it gave insight into Wojo's intentions on the day.

So, no published footage of the actual incident then??

I cant stand LLoyd but he said on the footy show this morning a possible top 7-8 pick and we have already signed him for 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know much about this?

He signed a 5 year "contract" when we declared our intent to take him. 2 years before he is officially drafted, plus 3 after he is drafted.

He wouldn't actually be getting paid for last year and this year, but it's just an agreement to enhance his development.

Public knowledge ever since we announced we were committed, no scoop from Lloyd.

I cant stand LLoyd but he said on the footy show this morning a possible top 7-8 pick and we have already signed him for 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know much about this?

Says the poster on the 984th post of a thread dedicated to everything about this...

Edited by rpfc

I think its about time we start to play hard ball off the field and make the rules work for us not the other way around.

Lets give Grubby a gold ol whack after the scully theft.

He will play for Melbourne.

We will get him at a great price.

End of story.

I have a few questions :

1. Can't Jack do a "Luke Ball" and state that he will only play for melbourne?? Put some doubt into the scumbags who think they are smart by playing poker.

2. What is the smallest contract he can get on if he goes to GWS? 1 year or 6 months? What constitutes breach of contract what are the restrictions?etc

3. Since he already has a contract with melbourne 2013-2015 - how valid is any subsequent contract made? Given no real intent by GWS to interview him etc. and get him onside the GWS contract could be deemed a facade.

4. Can't we have a media campaign to stop the biased heraldsun innuendo and quote club figures saying there will be a reprimand by GWS tactics? Lets start feeding them stories.

5. Find plenty of sources validating him not as a top 5. Easily done I would have thought.

I reckon the lawyers would have a field day if we are fair dinkum.

Mark Neeld just on SEN asked the question about Viney being taken with Demons first pick in draft, Neeld played straight bat said would have to see for instance if demons end up with overall pick 3 and if Viney is rated as 3rd best player then makes sense but if viney rated as top 10 then not gauranteed to take him as no gaurantees in football. I think he answered perfectly.

BTW I bloody love the way Viney go's about his footy

Out of curiosity, now the afl have dumped the old priority pick system, are we a chance at all to get another pick af their discretion if we remain with none or next to no wins this year?

Very much doubt it, especially considering this draft we will have Viney, Pick 4 or 5 and Pick 12ish as a worst case scenario.

The way the club has handled this whole Viney thing is very worrying and above all else, just plain bloody stupid. If we are forced to use our pick 3 instead of 23 for Viney I will be absolutely bloody furious. We are desperate for quality players regardless of whether their father was capitain or not. I simply can't believe we've blown our load over a 16 year old kid so early and basically told everyone what we're willing to do. Why? To get him involved early in our loser culture and crappy structures that have seen us win zero games this year?

I've just about had enough of the amatuer hour (more like amatuer years) this club is dishing up. This is just the icing on the cake and the rest of the other AFL clubs must be just laughing at us like they have for the last 50 years or whatever.

Who the bloody hell came up with this stupid idea?

God we are stupid, it's quite staggering.

And before anyone comes on here and says "he'll be a star" - I DON'T CARE IT IS IRRELEVANT TO THE IDEAL WAY WE SHOULD HAVE APPROACHED THIS. We will take him with our first pick because we don't have the balls to do anything else.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/draft-joust-to-secure-jack-viney/story-e6frf9jf-1226349309807

Guest José Mourinho

The way the club has handled this whole Viney thing is very worrying and above all else, just plain bloody stupid. If we are forced to use our pick 3 instead of 23 for Viney I will be absolutely bloody furious. We are desperate for quality players regardless of whether their father was capitain or not. I simply can't believe we've blown our load over a 16 year old kid so early and basically told everyone what we're willing to do. Why? To get him involved early in our loser culture and crappy structures that have seen us win zero games this year?

I've just about had enough of the amatuer hour (more like amatuer years) this club is dishing up. This is just the icing on the cake and the rest of the other AFL clubs must be just laughing at us like they have for the last 50 years or whatever.

Who the bloody hell came up with this stupid idea?

God we are stupid, it's quite staggering.

And before anyone comes on here and says "he'll be a star" - I DON'T CARE IT IS IRRELEVANT TO THE IDEAL WAY WE SHOULD HAVE APPROACHED THIS. We will take him with our first pick because we don't have the balls to do anything else.

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226349309807

Losing culture and stupidity is typified but your post.

We haven't had to tell everyone what we're doing - it was bloody obvious from the get go.

How exactly should we have approached it, genius?

Losing culture and stupidity is typified but your post. We haven't had to tell everyone what we're doing - it was bloody obvious from the get go. How exactly should we have approached it, genius?

It was obvious from the get go becuase we blew our load over a 16 year kid! How about waiting until he has completed his underage football and make an assessment once we know our standing in the draft and know all the facts? It's not genius it's bloody common sense FCS.

You're happy to essentially lose 20 spots in the draft are you?

The breif should've been - GET VINEY WITH THE HIGHEST DRAFT PICK POSSIBLE. END OF STORY. We've done the complete opposite and there is absolutely no way in the world you will convince me otherwise.

Get it?

The way the club has handled this whole Viney thing is very worrying and above all else, just plain bloody stupid.

And before anyone comes on here and says "he'll be a star" - I DON'T CARE IT IS IRRELEVANT TO THE IDEAL WAY WE SHOULD HAVE APPROACHED THIS. We will take him with our first pick because we don't have the balls to do anything else. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/draft-joust-to-secure-jack-viney/story-e6frf9jf-1226349309807

We went early but to keep him from the Crows who were in Todd's ear when he was coaching them - we got the deal done. That is the primary reason we committed do early.

As for the price we are paying - I don't like paying slightly overs for him but when we made this deal we had no idea we would be forced to use Pick 3 or 4 - this decision has been brought upon us by us being so crap - we felt that we would be forced to use Pick 8 or 9 and we would have gladly handed that over for a talent like Jack.

But I am not going to burn the club because we have dropped a few games we shouldn't have and are now staring at overpaying by 5 or 6 places in the draft for Jack. Hell, we get the very next pick anyway, which this problem of being crap has also brought us.

It was obvious from the get go becuase we blew our load over a 16 year kid! How about waiting until he has completed his underage football and make an assessment once we know our standing in the draft and know all the facts? It's not genius it's bloody common sense FCS. You're happy to essentially lose 20 spots in the draft are you? The breif should've been - GET VINEY WITH THE HIGHEST DRAFT PICK POSSIBLE. END OF STORY. We've done the complete opposite and there is absolutely no way in the world you will convince me otherwise. Get it?

Since when did we lose that?

We are being forced to use a top 5 pick because we are so crap - if we finished 10th we would be forced to use Pick 8 whether or not 'we blew our load.'

A club would have gone for him at Pick 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 for a talent like Jack, and we would have been forced to use Pick 8.

We were never a chance to take him in the 20s until we had such an awful start to the season.

Do you understand what I am saying?

Harcourt, this kid will be drafted with in the top 10 players this year. Try to imagine Marc Murphy in a Melbourne jumper Jack is the same type of player but harder and yes I have seen him play a number of times. We will not lose out, he may cost us 3-4 picks tops but don't forget we still have the pick after.

Very much doubt it, especially considering this draft we will have Viney, Pick 4 or 5 and Pick 12ish as a worst case scenario.

Surely that logic cant apply can it. Lets say (completely hypothetical and not at all likley to happen - I HOPE) we lose all gaems this year.

Are you suggesting that the AFL will say "no help for them as they have picks in the first round that they got for losing a #1 draft pick to GWS"? Surely not. Compo picks for Scully (yes - i said his name!) cant be linked to priority picks that are for teams who are uncompetitive.

For example, if Port did not win any more games, I am convinced they would get something as a priority pick, surely teh AFL cant say yes to one club and no to another on the basis of picks that are compensation for losing players to GWS.

It will be interesting to watch this unfold.