• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Liam Jurrah

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liam has always been this way. He is more interested in the highlight reel than playing the team game (any Robbo bashers out there reading this?). He has never been overly inclined to work off the ball or chase and tackle unless there is a good chance of the ball winding up in his hands.

Some of this will be cured as his fitness improves. He is still not as fit or as big as he needs to be. However, there is an attitude issue that he has had from day one that needs addressing. He needs to get down to the basics and start doing the little things right rather than always trying for the huge speckie or the freak goal. Workrate and application are both lacking at this stage.

I haven't seen the game -- no coverage in WA -- so am flying blind. But didn't the big indigenous round feature in the Herald Sun (written by Sam Edmund, maybe?) mention how hard Liam was doing it living in Melbourne? Thought it said his community needed him because of the violence in Yuendemu (sp?) lately. He could be preoccupied.

I haven't seen the game -- no coverage in WA -- so am flying blind. But didn't the big indigenous round feature in the Herald Sun (written by Sam Edmund, maybe?) mention how hard Liam was doing it living in Melbourne? Thought it said his community needed him because of the violence in Yuendemu (sp?) lately. He could be preoccupied.

Yeah, been hearing this, stuff with the bust-up that happened late last year out there...

Yeah, been hearing this, stuff with the bust-up that happened late last year out there...

he was injured last week... can back on with heavily bandaged knee... maybe (maybe) that could why he was off his gane today !!

There could be something in this. But at around 28 mins when a super effort was required, if we were to pull off a miracle win, he did try a couple of times to find that spark, he is capable of igniting. If you watch the replay, you will see him put in a couple of his great runs for goal which leaves everyone in their wake. Trouble was, he had little support and was stopped by St.Kilda's experience. LJ needs a lot of care and understanding - or we'll lose him; probably not to another team, but from the game.

There could be something in this. But at around 28 mins when a super effort was required, if we were to pull off a miracle win, he did try a couple of times to find that spark, he is capable of igniting. If you watch the replay, you will see him put in a couple of his great runs for goal which leaves everyone in their wake. Trouble was, he had little support and was stopped by St.Kilda's experience. LJ needs a lot of care and understanding - or we'll lose him; probably not to another team, but from the game.

Unfortunately the tensions rearose after some of the community returned from Adelaide. Being a leader of the community is there pressure from the community for him to return and sort it out. If there is it would seem that Liam is being torn between two worlds. Everyone acknowledges that his journey is more than difficult and will always be but today he looked disinterested.In the third quarter he looked like he kept looking over to the bench in anticipation of being called off. We all want the best for Liam. If it is the situation in Yuenmundu (sp) lets hope it is sorted soon.

Unfortunately the tensions rearose after some of the community returned from Adelaide. Being a leader of the community is there pressure from the community for him to return and sort it out. If there is it would seem that Liam is being torn between two worlds. Everyone acknowledges that his journey is more than difficult and will always be but today he looked disinterested.In the third quarter he looked like he kept looking over to the bench in anticipation of being called off. We all want the best for Liam. If it is the situation in Yuenmundu (sp) lets hope it is sorted soon.

There's a superb article running around talking about the different pressures indigenous players face and how recruiters are forced to look at them differently on a personality basis. Talked more about Troy Taylor and Weetra, mentioned Liam as well though. Great read about the cultural problems they go through - and the cliff they can go off if they can't deal with it.

Personally, I get the feeling (although RudeBoy can answer far better than I) that Liam is genuinely trying to stay at the club, but the feud is making life v. Difficult

There's a superb article running around talking about the different pressures indigenous players face and how recruiters are forced to look at them differently on a personality basis. Talked more about Troy Taylor and Weetra, mentioned Liam as well though. Great read about the cultural problems they go through - and the cliff they can go off if they can't deal with it.

Personally, I get the feeling (although RudeBoy can answer far better than I) that Liam is genuinely trying to stay at the club, but the feud is making life v. Difficult

LJ was never going to be easy. But, I have enough faith in the club - particularly with Jimmy at the helm - to know they will not only do everything to keep him, but also to help him through what is such a difficult time in his life. Sometimes, football clubs are about more than winning games.

Like many promising players that didn't end up reaching their full potential at the MFC (or moved on to achieve great heights elsewhere), i think we need to ask him if he's happy just being very good and exciting in spurts, or whether he would prefer to be remembered as one of the greats of the game....period.

If it's the latter, then much more work is required input wise from the FD/Air Jurrah (AJ) in order for us (AJ) to see the best of him in the future... output wise.

At this stage he's simply not willing/capable of putting in the consistent efforts to make a huge impact across four quarters and hence on the eventual outcome of most games. When he goes, sure, he looks super and exciting and sometimes he is. But it's still only in flashy spurts.

And as for comparisons with Robbo. The game may have changed somewhat forward pressure wise from even 3 - 4 years ago when he was at his peek. So yes, he may not look so good in today's game and his defensive side wasn't something from a coach's text book. But then neither is AJ's at present, albeit with some chasing exceptions when the mood takes him.

However, like it or not, Robbo on his day was able to turn/ice a game for us on many occasions. And on the big stage/big game such as those against the filth with a huge crowd when the heat was truly on etc. Some who say otherwise must have very short or selective memories.

Some also forget the other effects Robbo's efforts would have on the game. Things like him crashing packs (oh he missed the mark....golly gosh...he's so selfish going for that, why doesn't he just chase more!) and causing spillages out back/front for the crumbed goal, knocking the stuffings out of defensive opponents in those same contests allowing for slightly easier contests/match ups in the next forward thrust etc. I presently haven't seen that consistently from AJ .....i live in hope though.

If i had to choose, i'd take Robbo (at this point) in a heartbeat when he was on. He had passion, desire and he delivered most of the time when asked. Hopefully the FD and AJ can prove me wrong some time.

I love the tricks, skill and execution when he does switch it on though. SPECIAL!!! :blink:

Good luck to him from here. Lets hope he can take the next step.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Honestly Jurrah doesnt do a heap of chasing and things like that, tackles when he is near the ball, but he isnt the player who will run a million Km's per game to get a touch etc

People calling for his head, he deserves to be dropped, he kicked 3 goals on a bad day.... as we so often say, i wont be dropping anyone who does this and averages this over their career...

One thing he does bring is that Defenders [censored] their pants when he has the ball, the ball is kicked to him or "C" he is doing these things within the 50M arc

With him doing the team things, i think he could work harder but he does put pressure on players.... was in defence today etc to get a touch

Jurrah ran off limping heavily in the 2nd quarter, came back on not long after but seemed half a step slower

You are so correct and after that seemed to loose his drive and commitment.

LJ loves being at the Dees and aint going anywhere. Don't worry about ill informed commentary about the feuds up north potentially dragging him away. The opposite is the case.

As to his football, it should be obvious that he's carrying a few niggling injuries at present (like many players), but there's nothing seriously wrong. I would love to see a lot more (and better) forward entries, to at least give him a chance. Even with so few opportunities, he's still kicking 2-3 goals each week. More supply could easily lift this to 4-5 goals each week. If I was him, I'd certainly be very frustrated at the high number of low percentage outside 50 shots on goal from midfielders, who instead should be looking for LJ and other forwards to pass to. He copped some abuse after round one for going for too many speccies, and since then I reckon he's been holding back a little. It might be time let him off the leash, and just tell him to go for it!

LJ loves being at the Dees and aint going anywhere. Don't worry about ill informed commentary about the feuds up north potentially dragging him away. The opposite is the case.

As to his football, it should be obvious that he's carrying a few niggling injuries at present (like many players), but there's nothing seriously wrong. I would love to see a lot more (and better) forward entries, to at least give him a chance. Even with so few opportunities, he's still kicking 2-3 goals each week. More supply could easily lift this to 4-5 goals each week. If I was him, I'd certainly be very frustrated at the high number of low percentage outside 50 shots on goal from midfielders, who instead should be looking for LJ and other forwards to pass to. He copped some abuse after round one for going for too many speccies, and since then I reckon he's been holding back a little. It might be time let him off the leash, and just tell him to go for it!

Thanks for the clarification RudeBoy. Good on ya mate!

Thanks Rudeboy.

I completely agree. Jones has done it a couple of times in previous weeks.

LJ is our biggest weapon up front, why we don't isolate him in the forward 50 more often is beyond me.

I would love to see him start on a half back flank against Carlton. Give him 15 minutes there, then put him straight up the forward line - do this for the first 3 quarters. The little team things are of concern, but he's not on his own. Starting on a HBF will hopefully make him more accountable.

The thing with LJ is that what he can do in 15 minutes, can take someone else all game to do, hence me giving him that opportunity up forward in the 2nd half of each quarter.

We have seen the difference in Watts when he started getting his hands on the pill more, I wonder ig the same tonic could be effective with LJ?

Thanks for the reassurance Rudeboy. He would be a huge loss to footy let alone MFC if he was to go. BTW it almost appears that you have more love for the Dees than Collingwood atm. I posted a while back that you should be made an honorary Demon after you help in looking after LJ. He really is a rare gem.

I would love to see a lot more (and better) forward entries, to at least give him a chance. Even with so few opportunities, he's still kicking 2-3 goals each week. More supply could easily lift this to 4-5 goals each week.

Indeed. The amount of times we sprayed it over a forward's head on Saturday was pretty disappointing.

He copped some abuse after round one for going for too many speccies, and since then I reckon he's been holding back a little. It might be time let him off the leash, and just tell him to go for it!

I agree. Even if he doesn't take the mark, as long as he creates a contest I'm happy.

Cheers for that. It's something where you honestly know the guy, chat to him and are mates with him so you're in a far better position than I to judge. It's hard when the media continually blow something like this up to try to get a feel for what a player is actually thinking, so to have that is both refreshing and a nice change of pace.

Thanks again RudeBoy

Link to the article at all? Be interested to have a read of that.