Casey report - Dees players

Maldonboy38

Just got back from Casey fields after watching Casey annihilate Frankston. It is a bit difficult to assess the player's performances because Frankston were a level below Casey on every line. There was often a lack of defensive pressure so it was difficult to judge the Dees boys ability to play under pressure. But it was great to be back at local footy. Kids kicking on the ground between quarters. Hearing all the calling, abuse, umpire's decision making, and even being able to listen to the line coaches address the groups. Great day.

I don't know if I could tell all the Dees players but will do my best:

Lucas Cook - is no longer a stick insect and can take a good, pack mark. His defensive pressure was great at times but average at others. Great running, aerobic capacity for a big bloke.

Sam Blease. I cannot believe how quick this bloke is. In the last quarter he took on 4 Frankston boys at ground level, burnt them off and delivered inside 50 to Bate for a goal. His run and carry is good, but a couple of times he jogged after his opponent who got the ball and ran off him. His defensive game needs work but his offensive stuff is outstanding. Unfortunately, not worthy of a call up to the Dees IMO.

Matthew Warnock. Too good for all opponents and BOG. Marked everything, defended with skill, gut-ran to position at times, and his kicking was at least in the 90% efficiency. He is too good for the VFL on today's form and should replace Frawley against Adelaide.

Matthew Bate. Again, too good for VFL. I am unsure of he kicked 4, 5 or 6 but his second half was amazing. Hard running, pack marking, tackling - the works. Great game of footy. Often looks clumsy but effective.

Tom Macdonald. Didn't get heaps of it but is very good in the air AND on the ground for a big bloke. Positions well and knows when to mark and when to spoil. A lot to like but more likley to get a go in 2012.

Jeremy Howe. Again, not heaps of it but I really like the look of this kid. Is excellent on both feet and kicks it a country kilometre. With Frankston being so poor it is hard to get a read on Howe, but he looks mentally mature enough to get a go in 2011, if the right chance/position vacancy comes up.

Ricky Petterd. Again, too good for VFL level. Was played in the middle and forward and his attack on the ball at times is frightenng. His kicking sometimes was wayward, even when not under any pressure and at one point he was getting relly annoyed at himself. Must at least be considered for next week. His marking for a bloke his size is exceptional.

Addam Maric. Really good game. Ran hard, linked up for multiple handballs when in transition and smart around the half-forward line. If selectors reckon he can reproduce this at AFL level, then he must come in for Wonna.

Michael Evans. 2nd best on ground. This kid is super quick, very aggressive at the ball, runs all day and his skills under pressure were a highlight. He just kept on getting it. I am not sure but can he get a game with the Dees or do we have to wait for a long-term injury? For a team lacking intensity and ticker this kid could add a fair bit.

Max Gawn. Very raw, really quick and ran down some smaller players with tackling pressure. Looks a good prospect though as he is more than just a ruckman. 18 months off I reckon. His ruck work was a bit ordinary.

Jake Spencer. Great ruck work and took some strong pack marks. He ran forward of the centre boiunce at times and gave handballs to runners to deliver inside 50. It was a smart games but not a great one. However, he impressed me more than I expected. But THAT kicking action makes me shudder.

Juice Newton. I reckon having Fev next to him today stuffed him up because he was not great today. His tackling however was really good and he worked hard to keep the ball inside 50. Often, Fev would lead before him and he found himself the stay at home forward with 2 defenders hanging off his back.

Nev Jetta. At times looked good but only flashed in and out of the game. Ran hard at times.

Kelvin Lawrence (I think). It was a younger indigenous man who team mates were calling Kel. He was very fast but not much of a contributer.

Joel MacDonald. His first half was really good with smart, attacking football down back. I do not know if he got injured but he was not on the ground as much for the 2nd half, and the ball was in our forward line for most of teh gme. Will be considered for Dees versus Adelaide.

I believe that Jack Fitzpatrick played in the Casey two's and kicked 7 or so - but it might be rumour.

On the form produced this afternoon, at least 4 Dees boys from WCE game should be nervous, and wll have to work their butts off to ensure another chance at senior level.

P.S. No. 30 for Frankston, I think his name is Corea or Koria - outside player but super quick, very clean off the ground and can kick at full pace. Watch out for him at the draft for 2012.

Edited by Maldonboy38

Apologies to Dan Nicholson. I didn't have a footy record and didn't know his face or number. Many people saying he played well - does anyone know his number from today?

Edited by Maldonboy38

Thanks for the write up mate, sounds like a lot of positive aspects despite the opposition.

To answer the Evans question, neither he or any other rookie besides Newton can play MFC games (unless there is a LTI movement) until mid-year when we can nominate another rookie. Newton was given the full year nomination at the start of the season.

Apologies to Dan Nicholson. I didn't have a footy record and didn't know his face or number. Many people saying he played well - does anyone know his number from today?

Think he was 47. I think you mistaken Evans for Nichlolson. Evans was pretty good but Nicholson was impressive. Very smooth mover and elusive. has amazing agility and acceleration. Someone mentioned b4 that Nicholson beat Stephen Hill in all the draft camp results ie agility, 20m sprints etc and i can see why.

Looked good offensively and nice kick but hard to tell when the opposition aren't great but at worse, will be a great run with player.

Howe was impressive. Nice hands and good kick. Drafted as a fwd but Maybe an option at half back cause his field kicking was good.

Blease scrubbed a few. Showed some pace but not a great game.

Gawn didn't do much. Needs to stop giving away FA but mobility looks good and good one touch grab. Still far off but i like him.

Would like to see Nicholson in the seniors some time this year.

56 i think. I really liked the look of him. Quick, composed and a neat disposal. Will hopefully get a game later in the year, when we are most likely out of finals contention.

Thanks for the report, but I have to laugh when you say Warnock is too good for VFL so we should replace him with Frawley next week. Frawley would rip apart every single VFL forward. He had a shocker on Thursday but he ain't getting dropped. He is very rusty after having so much time off with injury, but I'd take him at half fitness over any other defender on our list.

Warnock may well get his chance next week but I highly doubt it'll be at the expense of Frawley.

I thought Strauss was 47. any news on his game?

Strauss didn't play, and Nicholson is 56 and was by far the most exciting thing to come out of todays game. The boy is quick with nice skills, first half in particular was fantastic. Lawrence and Evens also look lively, think Kelviv kicked a couple. Juice presented well and looking ok, took some nice grabs and made some nice tackles. Bate was the standout, not just because he kicked 6 goals, but the way he got his head down and hunted the ball, just seemed to really want it more than anyone else. I thought Howe was fantastic in the air with a nice penetrating quick, very very promising kid, as is cook. However as has been said they played a stand alone club in Frankston, so may be hard to take a lot out of it.

Massive scare for Ricky in the first team who looked to dislocate his knee, after banging it back in, and being carried into the rooms he returned 10 minutes later as if nothing had happened. Got a fair bit of it after that but didn't do enough to get a spot in the 22, missed easy targets. Then again look at the 22 that played Thursday night.

Edited by Deemort

Just got back from Casey fields after watching Casey annihilate Frankston. It is a bit difficult to assess the player's performances because Frankston were a level below Casey on every line. There was often a lack of defensive pressure so it was difficult to judge the Dees boys ability to play under pressure. But it was great to be back at local footy. Kids kicking on the ground between quarters. Hearing all the calling, abuse, umpire's decision making, and even being able to listen to the line coaches address the groups. Great day.

I don't know if I could tell all the Dees players but will do my best:

Lucas Cook - is no longer a stick insect and can take a good, pack mark. His defensive pressure was great at times but average at others. Great running, aerobic capacity for a big bloke.

Sam Blease. I cannot believe how quick this bloke is. In the last quarter he took on 4 Frankston boys at ground level, burnt them off and delivered inside 50 to Bate for a goal. His run and carry is good, but a couple of times he jogged after his opponent who got the ball and ran off him. His defensive game needs work but his offensive stuff is outstanding. Unfortunately, not worthy of a call up to the Dees IMO.

Matthew Warnock. Too good for all opponents and BOG. Marked everything, defended with skill, gut-ran to position at times, and his kicking was at least in the 90% efficiency. He is too good for the VFL on today's form and should replace Frawley against Adelaide.

Matthew Bate. Again, too good for VFL. I am unsure of he kicked 4, 5 or 6 but his second half was amazing. Hard running, pack marking, tackling - the works. Great game of footy. Often looks clumsy but effective.

Tom Macdonald. Didn't get heaps of it but is very good in the air AND on the ground for a big bloke. Positions well and knows when to mark and when to spoil. A lot to like but more likley to get a go in 2012.

Jeremy Howe. Again, not heaps of it but I really like the look of this kid. Is excellent on both feet and kicks it a country kilometre. With Frankston being so poor it is hard to get a read on Howe, but he looks mentally mature enough to get a go in 2011, if the right chance/position vacancy comes up.

Ricky Petterd. Again, too good for VFL level. Was played in the middle and forward and his attack on the ball at times is frightenng. His kicking sometimes was wayward, even when not under any pressure and at one point he was getting relly annoyed at himself. Must at least be considered for next week. His marking for a bloke his size is exceptional.

Addam Maric. Really good game. Ran hard, linked up for multiple handballs when in transition and smart around the half-forward line. If selectors reckon he can reproduce this at AFL level, then he must come in for Wonna.

Michael Evans. 2nd best on ground. This kid is super quick, very aggressive at the ball, runs all day and his skills under pressure were a highlight. He just kept on getting it. I am not sure but can he get a game with the Dees or do we have to wait for a long-term injury? For a team lacking intensity and ticker this kid could add a fair bit.

Max Gawn. Very raw, really quick and ran down some smaller players with tackling pressure. Looks a good prospect though as he is more than just a ruckman. 18 months off I reckon. His ruck work was a bit ordinary.

Jake Spencer. Great ruck work and took some strong pack marks. He ran forward of the centre boiunce at times and gave handballs to runners to deliver inside 50. It was a smart games but not a great one. However, he impressed me more than I expected. But THAT kicking action makes me shudder.

Juice Newton. I reckon having Fev next to him today stuffed him up because he was not great today. His tackling however was really good and he worked hard to keep the ball inside 50. Often, Fev would lead before him and he found himself the stay at home forward with 2 defenders hanging off his back.

Nev Jetta. At times looked good but only flashed in and out of the game. Ran hard at times.

Kelvin Lawrence (I think). It was a younger indigenous man who team mates were calling Kel. He was very fast but not much of a contributer.

Joel MacDonald. His first half was really good with smart, attacking football down back. I do not know if he got injured but he was not on the ground as much for the 2nd half, and the ball was in our forward line for most of teh gme. Will be considered for Dees versus Adelaide.

I believe that Jack Fitzpatrick played in the Casey two's and kicked 7 or so - but it might be rumour.

On the form produced this afternoon, at least 4 Dees boys from WCE game should be nervous, and wll have to work their butts off to ensure another chance at senior level.

P.S. No. 30 for Frankston, I think his name is Corea or Koria - outside player but super quick, very clean off the ground and can kick at full pace. Watch out for him at the draft for 2012.

Thanks Maldonboy38 for the info.

Dees Vs Crows

In Warnock, Pettard, Maric and Bate

OUT Davey, Bennell, Dunn and Rivers

Its time the dees coaches grow some and make the changes. Send a message to the other players that last week is not acceptable. Knowning DB he probably wont make many changes if any.

Will hopefully get a game later in the year, when we are most likely out of finals contention.

Don't know that we'll need to wait till later in the year to be out of finals contention ...

Interesting reports, almost seems that the Rookies are closer than the drafted/listed players, especially Evans and Nicholson.

Good to see Howe starting to find the pace - could be a smokey selection for the next week or two - though not sure where he'd play. But also some good/interesting news overall, e.g. Fitzpatrick BOG in the reserves.

Evans = no. 71

Maric = no. 55

I asked a bloke with a footy record about these 2. I recognised most of the others. I do not know what number Nicholson wore so Iwasn;t looking for him - I was concentrating on the Dees players I could recognise.

I didn't ask about Blease's number because I saw him as I entered and he was clearly no. 47

As far as Frawley vs Warnock. Frawley is a great footballer in desperately poor form. No position is guaranteed just because of a previous year's efforts. I stand by what i typed - on Warnock's form he should replace Frawley.

Also, does anyone know who wore number 11 for Casey? This tall, gangly kid (I thought it was Cook at first) was a really good mark.

Watched the game today and basically agree with Maldon Boy.

Four MFC players stood out.

Maric had a good day and kicked a couple, second half better than the first. Not sure if he is good enough at AFL level.

However he sure deserves a game next weekend and he is a good kick, a few beauties today.

Bate Killed them all day and ended with 6 and set up a few more, one of his kicks in traffic was a beauty low bullet pass that hit the intended smack on the money. Should be in next weekend after the crap dished up on thursday.

Warnock killed them he was IMO the general in the back line. After being emergency the last 3 weeks he deserves a game.

Pettard had a good game, not brillant but again we should be able to find him a spot.

I find it hard to believe he would be worse than 10 others last thursday.

Who do they replace.

Maric for Bennel or Wona

Bate for Morton

Warnock for Frawley, Frawley needs a run at Casey to get his timing back he missed all the pre season.

Pettard as the Sub again.

PS from what I saw today Blease is a long way off selection. I know he had a very bad injury but is showing little to justify his high draft pick at this point.

Edited by old dee

Don't know that we'll need to wait till later in the year to be out of finals contention ...

Interesting reports, almost seems that the Rookies are closer than the drafted/listed players, especially Evans and Nicholson.

Good to see Howe starting to find the pace - could be a smokey selection for the next week or two - though not sure where he'd play. But also some good/interesting news overall, e.g. Fitzpatrick BOG in the reserves.

Spot on Bing181 unless there is a dramatic change in performance finals will be over sooner rather than later.

Also, does anyone know who wore number 11 for Casey? This tall, gangly kid (I thought it was Cook at first) was a really good mark.

James Wall

Jumper No: 11

Height: 197cm

Weight: 93kg

D.O.B: 1987-01-05

Previous Clubs: St.Kilda/Sydney/Calder Cannons

CASEY 30.19 (199)

FRANKSTON 5.6 (36)

Goals: Casey: Fitzpatrick 6 Dowse 4 Allen 4 Baumgartner 3 Matthews 2 Weekes 2 Tynan 2 Bell McNamara Petropoulos Riseley Lindsay Clay Patti. Frankston: Haretuku 2 Uzarevic Cole Appleford.

Best: Casey: Fitzpatrick Petropoulos Allen Pollard Tynan Baumgartner. Frankston: Cole Uzarevic Rowe Appleford Ongarello Mitchem. At Casey Fields.

I watched the game on ABC and was impressed with the performance of Bate and Nicholson. They were the standouts.

Easily the best 2 IMO.

Bate has al ot of Strength which i feel we are lacking in our forwards.

Others that looked good was Maric,Warnock and Pettard.

Changes for this week.

Ins.

Bate, Nicholson, Maric and Pettard

Outs.

Dunn, Gysberts, Wona and Bennell.

I watched the game on ABC and was impressed with the performance of Bate and Nicholson. They were the standouts.

Easily the best 2 IMO.

Bate has al ot of Strength which i feel we are lacking in our forwards.

Others that looked good was Maric,Warnock and Pettard.

Changes for this week.

Ins.

Bate, Nicholson, Maric and Pettard

Outs.

Dunn, Gysberts, Wona and Bennell.

Reckon Bate a stong chance to replace Dunn. Why would we drop Gysberts for one average game ? also petterd didn't look like he could run out a game properly and played well only in patches. not something we can afford to risk at present.

Maric thoroughly deserves another game, he has tried his guts out and today was very good, we need his field kicking skills.

I would have

In: Bate, Maric

Out: Dunn, Wonna

Bennell on last chance.

James Wall

Jumper No: 11

Height: 197cm

Weight: 93kg

D.O.B: 1987-01-05

Previous Clubs: St.Kilda/Sydney/Calder Cannons

I really like how he plays. Wouldnt mind giving him another shot at afl, but thats a different topic.

I really like Evans and Nicholson.

Bate, Pettered, Warnock and one of maric or jetta to come in.

As far as outs could be anyone really.

Edited by Carn dees

Reckon Bate a stong chance to replace Dunn. Why would we drop Gysberts for one average game ? also petterd didn't look like he could run out a game properly and played well only in patches. not something we can afford to risk at present.

Maric thoroughly deserves another game, he has tried his guts out and today was very good, we need his field kicking skills.

I would have

In: Bate, Maric

Out: Dunn, Wonna

Bennell on last chance.

RB I am just about over Bennel, doubt he has it.

Does not like it close and tough.

Still remember first Pies game last year when he was in a position to seal the game and pull out of collison.

He gets scared and vanishes in games like last thursday.

A down hill skier for mine.

no more chances off to Casey

Thanks for the report, but I have to laugh when you say Warnock is too good for VFL so we should replace him with Frawley next week. Frawley would rip apart every single VFL forward. He had a shocker on Thursday but he ain't getting dropped. He is very rusty after having so much time off with injury, but I'd take him at half fitness over any other defender on our list.

Warnock may well get his chance next week but I highly doubt it'll be at the expense of Frawley.

Must agree! Frawley is one of the Dees quality players.