Casey player review

Maldonboy38

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have no one as a forward who presents for the footy as a tall forward. They all play the leadup role. we need some aeriel contesting, even up the field. And at the kickouts.

Their all OS midfielders.

Watts took his first O/head grab this week.

And did you notice in the Hun photo he had is eyes closed!

No wonder he does not take many.

And did you notice in the Hun photo he had is eyes closed!

No wonder he does not take many.

I assume that was sarcasm old dee...

If not, take a look at many AFL photos snapped and you will see that it is a common thing. It is called blinking.

Newton is clearly a very good VFL player these days. The decision needs to be made as to his prospects at AFL level. I'm sure if Martin lost form Juice would get a run as back up ruck, a position he was ok in last year. But to bring him in for a tall forward spot would be more controversial. I would rather keep Watts at CHF. However we are currently playing without a FF and rotating smaller players through. The problem is for Juice to play FF we might have to drop another running player. We clearly need the extra run, but maybe we need to extra structure more??? Even if it comes in the form of Juice.

I assume that was sarcasm old dee...

If not, take a look at many AFL photos snapped and you will see that it is a common thing. It is called blinking.

We seem to be at loggerheads at the moment!

Champs don't blink only the average ones, Blinked all my young days one of the reasons I became

A boundary line expert.

It is much safer out here too.

We seem to be at loggerheads at the moment!

Champs don't blink only the average ones, Blinked all my young days one of the reasons I became

A boundary line expert.

It is much safer out here too.

Yeah this bloke was pretty average..........

98081827.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F515768A69D758CBABD9F7E0D149465C06894DA9041B154DC7E30A760B0D811297

cc-600x400.jpg

GYI0061191385_crop_450x500.jpg?1280572997

When you start making sensible posts perhaps the clashes may cease.

If Newton could bag five on average in the VFL we might expect an average of two in AFL. That would be good enough to pick him in the seniors. So let him get 5 three weeks in a row in VFL, or average 5 per game over 5-6 weeks, and then consider him.

Cheers mate.

I'm concerned about Strauss. Maybe he'd be better having a run on the wing? I know it's harsh, but I haven't seen anything in his 2 games that would suggest he can make it. And, while they are playing Tappy at HBF, and if Blease continues to play well, he may miss his opportunity.

Have you seen anything of Blease billy? Blease is lucky to be getting a game for the Casey Seniors at the moment.

I'm glad to see Gysberts playing well. If he can play some good footy at AFL-level and put his hand up for a regular spot in the 22 our midfield, with Scully and McKenzie to come into the side, will look very different to only a couple of years ago.

I'm also really heartened to hear the reports on Wona - not only that he played well, but that he played in the midfield. I think players like him need to be able to push through the midfield, particularly with the sub rule, so if he can take that step it'll help him and our side.

PS. It also rated Newton highly but I can't, I just can't bring myself to ever consider him again. It might be unfair on a player showing form but he has played this trick numerous times before.

I don't know that Newton is now able to hold down an AFL spot. However, it's worth noting that last year he started playing consistently good footy at VFL level, and had he not become injured in the week before it had been decided he would be promoted to the AFL team he may have already done so.

I don't know that Newton is now able to hold down an AFL spot. However, it's worth noting that last year he started playing consistently good footy at VFL level, and had he not become injured in the week before it had been decided he would be promoted to the AFL team he may have already done so.

Indeed - they promoted him so they clearly intended on playing him at some point. I wonder if they had him ahead of Martin for the R2 possie? With Martin (unexpectedly?) stepping up, perhaps the promotion could've been better used on Michael Evans who looks the goods in the midfield. All just wild speculation of course.

Indeed - they promoted him so they clearly intended on playing him at some point. I wonder if they had him ahead of Martin for the R2 possie? With Martin (unexpectedly?) stepping up, perhaps the promotion could've been better used on Michael Evans who looks the goods in the midfield. All just wild speculation of course.

I think they promoted him as insurance policy for Martin, should he fail as a second ruck, so I agree on that.

Would we have been better off promoting Evans? Perhaps (I would have preferred it, but we couldn't foresee injuries to Scully and McKenzie), although I would guess that the minute we rookied Newton he was always going to be first in line for a promotion. Why else would we have spent a spot on our list for him given his age and previous showing at AFL level?

While I really don't want to see him in the side at the expense of any fit youngster, it feels like 2011 is basically the year for us to find out once and for all where he is going. We can't keep holding onto these players for 7 seasons, and the fact that we have held onto him despite his very poor record at the highest level suggests to me that we have a clear plan for him this year.

He won't be our great CHF hope this year or ever, but perhaps he could be a useful second ruck who rests up forward, or as a sub. His biggest hurdle right now though is that Martin has played two excellent games, and for that I am mighty greatful.

I think they promoted him as insurance policy for Martin, should he fail as a second ruck, so I agree on that.

Would we have been better off promoting Evans? Perhaps (I would have preferred it, but we couldn't foresee injuries to Scully and McKenzie), although I would guess that the minute we rookied Newton he was always going to be first in line for a promotion. Why else would we have spent a spot on our list for him given his age and previous showing at AFL level?

While I really don't want to see him in the side at the expense of any fit youngster, it feels like 2011 is basically the year for us to find out once and for all where he is going. We can't keep holding onto these players for 7 seasons, and the fact that we have held onto him despite his very poor record at the highest level suggests to me that we have a clear plan for him this year.

He won't be our great CHF hope this year or ever, but perhaps he could be a useful second ruck who rests up forward, or as a sub. His biggest hurdle right now though is that Martin has played two excellent games, and for that I am mighty greatful.

I agree that Stefan Martin has surpassed expectations. However for mine he has been excellent in the ruck but does not look capable of kicking a goal when rested forward. Being that in most cases he is not in the ruck is this not his main purpose? If Newton shows that he can relieve Jamar (even if not quite as well as Martin) but be capable of kicking goals and switching down back where required then for me he still may be the better option at this time.

Have you seen anything of Blease billy? Blease is lucky to be getting a game for the Casey Seniors at the moment.

Haven't seen anything of him live or on TV - am going by match reports on this forum and what the coaches say in their weekly report. To me it sounds like he is improving each week, and if he can continue to do so over the next month or so, might be a chance to crack the big time.

While they play slightly different roles, there doesn't seem to be the same gradual improvement from Strauss (again, going by what the reports say). This is why I'm fearing for him - if Blease, who started from a lot further back, is making ground on Strauss already, does Strauss have the belief that he can take a person's spot in the seniors?

He's not in our best 22 yet, and the more games some of our other young guys play at Casey, the harder it will be to get in that best 22 group.

I agree that Stefan Martin has surpassed expectations. However for mine he has been excellent in the ruck but does not look capable of kicking a goal when rested forward. Being that in most cases he is not in the ruck is this not his main purpose? If Newton shows that he can relieve Jamar (even if not quite as well as Martin) but be capable of kicking goals and switching down back where required then for me he still may be the better option at this time.

When has Newton showed he is capable of kicking goals in the seniors? Miller kicked 10 or something at Casey last year didn't he? Yeah, he kicked 5 against Port, but that was once.

I still don't understand what Martin has done wrong to suggest he can't play Full Forward. Someone, please tell me because obviously I'm missing chunks of games.

Would we be any worse off putting Martin there for the next month to see how he goes? He has shown he has gone to another level this year, let's see what he can do playing out of the goal square, or even at CHF.

When has Newton showed he is capable of kicking goals in the seniors? Miller kicked 10 or something at Casey last year didn't he? Yeah, he kicked 5 against Port, but that was once.

I still don't understand what Martin has done wrong to suggest he can't play Full Forward. Someone, please tell me because obviously I'm missing chunks of games.

Would we be any worse off putting Martin there for the next month to see how he goes? He has shown he has gone to another level this year, let's see what he can do playing out of the goal square, or even at CHF.

When has Martin shown any likelihood to kick goals at Casey or in the Seniors. Martin played key forward in the pre-season and looked lost on the 3 times I saw him when he did get near the ball he attempted to mark everything with flat hands, when he did get the ball he fluffed the opportunities he had. I too would persevere with Martin as I think he is improving but we are really using him as a back up and he at this time is not offering value when rested (which as a backup should be most of the time).

I thought he was one of our best on Sunday admittedly the competition for Melbourne's best was not high.

However he was working a long from goal on sunday so not sure we can make much out of that game re his goal kicking ability.

I think he has been one of the bright spots for us so far this season.

A large number of people on Demonland keep saying "give him a chance young guys take time to develop".

Well I think he is developing and am quite prepared to keep him in the team.

If we want to put in Juice then find another spot.

Martin is earning his spot so far which is more than can be said for a few others.