Jack Viney commits to Demons

Bay Riffin

Don't tell me what I think, you have no idea.

To highlight my argument, look at Swift at in the 2008 draft. After 2006 he was seen as the best young player for years, and a certain number one pick. Two years later he went 2nd round. By Melbourne publically committing to Viney, we will most likely have to pick him first round, as even if he has slipped other Clubs with a pick in the first round will bid for him knowing that it will knock Melbourne out and move their second round picks up one. If he has slipped and Melbourne has not publicly committed to him, Clubs may not risk offering a first round bid and we may get him in the second round, gaining a first round pick.

If he is worth a first round pick great, but I don't want us to over commit to a player because of his surname.

I don’t think it is a smart move to commit two years before the draft. We will get him anyway, so I don’t see what is gained.

I don't think it is that hard to understand what I am saying.

Hard to understand how MFCSS can be applied here .

We haven't committed a first round pick for him, we've just committed drafting him.

GWS are sniffing around and have a window to sign and trade 4 young players. MFC have ensured that doesn't happen.

If god forbid Jack Viney doesn't live up to expectations in the next 2 years and he is pushed down the order to a second round or third round pick, we will use that pick.

No other club will be willing to pay way overs for a draftee to force our hand. Think about it. First round picks are gold. They don't throw em away.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine one of the major benefits is the Club can start putting 'resources' into developing Viney, confident in the knowledge he'll be playing for Melbourne.

If we started doing so without an announcement it would be obvious to other Clubs anyway, but without any of the positive publicity etc.

So you think if Melbourne did not deem Viney a first round pick due to unforeseen circumstances, other clubs are in the people business so they will say OK, you guys jumped the gun, but we're going to help you out and let you take him later? And you are able assure me that this is the case? Delusional or extremely well connected to be able to speak on behalf of all 17 club? I think the first

Why would a club risk their number one pick? It's a massive gamble, given they could 'waste' their first pick in this hypothetical of yours..!

And for the record, if Jack's development does stagnate, I don't care if we end up spending a first-round pick on a player who is a third-round prospect come 2012. Heritage, history and the club are key pillars of the club and they're worth upholding.

I was with you until this bit.

By the way, Tom Scully was regarded as the best 16 year old in the country in 2007, and look how quickly he went downhill.

Uhhh..... wait

not having a go at ya...but have most regarded best 16 year old boys in the country been midfielders? i know josh fraser was well regarded at 16. surely most tall 16 year old boys take awhile to come on

I'm going to play hypothetical for a second...

Let's say that Jack Viney continues to improve and eventually becomes a top 5 player on our list and Todd Viney continues to work for the MFC.

We potentially have a situation were we can pay Todd way over his worth and keep Jack's salary relatively low....just saying.

He went secound round, how is my argument flawed?

I see what your getting at and yes some players drop off but using swift as an example is stupid. The only reason Swift dropped In the pecking order was his knees are shot. The fact he went at 18 was a good result for him, he would have been top 5 had he not got injured. Viney will get the chance to develop under the eyes of an AFL club and possibly play VFL in 2012 ala Swallow this year. I'd be very surprised If he isn't a very good player

Let's say that Jack Viney continues to improve and eventually becomes a top 5 player on our list and Todd Viney continues to work for the MFC.

We potentially have a situation were we can pay Todd way over his worth and keep Jack's salary relatively low....just saying.

Hahaha Jarka, we're not bloody Carlton!

I like your crafty thinking though.

It's good when the wheels are always turning.

If he continues to progress Jack will be a top player and possibly would be a number 1 to 3 draft pick, if he doesn't he will still be, from what we have to date a very good player. The club are willing to risk our first round pick in a couple of years time to get him and either way I doubt we will be disappointed, only someone that has never taken a risk in his/her life would suggest that that is not a good idea.

jack is in year 10 now...he has another two years of school after this year...really he's only a year younger in school terms when we got jack watts...i think the biggest benefit for jack signing so early is he will have a smoother transition into afl football...considering he now has a 5 year contract.

it would be fitting for him to play his debut game against gws!

Some days I feel like I have fallen through the looking glass on this site.

Pre announcement: "we must have Viney"

Post announcement: "must we have Viney?"

I actually believe the FD know what they are doing including weighing that every selection has risk be it at number one or not.

Personally I dont see much downside here but one thing is certain its been done so lets look forward to his long and great career at Melbourne.

I hope Jack, the club and the supporters do all they can to ensure he is supported, develops and plays in our GF side.

I was with you until this bit.

A little bit of hyperbole, I concede, but the general gist of my argument still stands. I don't mind overpaying for JV with a father-son selection if it means the story stays alive.

And there are ways to manage the list to ensure we still have access to significant talent at the top end of the draft.

As to previous convolutions I obviously got it wrong..having read off another post that GC has the 4 lockaways when of course its GWS.. You get some wrong..lol

As an aside.. what ability or limitations are there regarding any ability to train with Melbourne form time to time ? Is there a permission required or is than complicit within our arrangement with young Jack ?

Good call... if G.Ablett Snr was development coach at the Cattery right now then Junior probably wouldn't be off to the GC

In years gone by our lack of [censored] and lack professionalism would have meant the Crows would have managed to pinch both Vineys from our rightful grasp, but the club has wisened up and taken the steps necessary to ensure this doesn't happen. How anyone could bemoan that is totally beyond me