Covering the loss of Bruce and Junior

DeeZee

With Junior and Bruce now gone,we have to cover for two players that average 25 possesions each every week.

Id probably go with a Morton to take on Bruces role and move Grimes deeper in the midfield to cover for Junior.

Hopefully Tapscott,Gysberts and Blease will come on a bit and also add to the midfield mix.

With Junior and Bruce now gone,we have to cover for two players that average 25 possesions each every week.

Id probably go with a Morton to take on Bruces role and move Grimes deeper in the midfield to cover for Junior.

Hopefully Tapscott,Gysberts and Blease will come on a bit and also add to the midfield mix.

Grimes will stay half-back. Moving him to the midfield will weaken the backline too much.

I'd go with Strauss and Gysberts to play more, but not necessarily filling Bruce and Junior's roles.

Morton should/is already best 22 IMO.

Yeah, Gys has already shown he's good for 25+ touches.

Morton is due to come back in as a stable membe of the 22.

Tapscott, Strauss and Blease will contribute more.

Natural improvement in Scully, Trengove, Bail, Bennell et al.

I'll be surprised if we don't end up with another very good mid from either pick 12 or 33.

Not a concern covering

Junior respersented tru leadership on teh ground... there are others who will take the opportunity to step up.. Some big shoes...but doable.

Sorry..is Bruce going really a loss ?? Not being facetious.. just his job is ably covered !!

Bruce I'm not worried about. We have options for the half back flank and we'll just play the next best footballer we have in his role. One thing I'll say is thought I don't ever want to move Grimes from half back.

Junior though we will miss for his shut down roles. Who's going to tag for us now, especially in the tagging roles where you still get your own ball which was Junior's specialty.

I'm not sure we need a designated tagger but we need at least 1 midfielder capable of shutting down elite players.

Moloney and McKenzie - lack the physical attributes to tag anyone but fellow hard men

Sylvia and Davey - Are too dangerous with the ball

Trengove - Probably better physically than Moloney and McKenzie, could be an option for some players

Scully - the best option for tagging speedy players, did the job on Hill whilst still getting ball

Jones - didn't get the job done at all when given jobs this year.

Dunn - has 'done' the job well in the past, probably my first choice with Petterd returning to the forward line

Gysberts - Not super quick and not a great tackler on exposed AFL form, probably better continuing to develop him as a clearance player backing up Moloney, McKenzie and Jones.

Bail - physically a good runner and good tackler, might be worth a go

Strauss - probably not suited

Blease - probably not fit enough

Bennell - rather his speed with the ball

Jetta - I like him in the midfield but does he have the endurance and speed

We have plenty of young talented players who would kill for the chance to cover the roles these guys played. I'm not too worried. It might hurt a little but our list is strong and we will keep getting stronger.

It's also about professional experience around the club, pre season training, pregame preparation. Jettisoning so much experience in the last few years is an issue. One of the intangibles of the game. I don't think its a non issue, but how much no one can really say. As the year progresses its theexperienced bodies that stand up, young players are inclined to fade.

Moloney and McKenzie - lack the physical attributes to tag anyone but fellow hard men

What is it that you think McKenzie lacks in comparison to Jnr? I think his physical attributes are spot on for a shut down role, but I wouldnt want to use him in one because it would remove his bottom of the pack clearance ability.

Bruce I'm not worried about. We have options for the half back flank and we'll just play the next best footballer we have in his role. One thing I'll say is thought I don't ever want to move Grimes from half back.

Junior though we will miss for his shut down roles. Who's going to tag for us now, especially in the tagging roles where you still get your own ball which was Junior's specialty.

I'm not sure we need a designated tagger but we need at least 1 midfielder capable of shutting down elite players.

Sylvia and Davey - Are too dangerous with the ball

Trengove - Probably better physically than Moloney and McKenzie, could be an option for some players

Scully - the best option for tagging speedy players, did the job on Hill whilst still getting ball

Jones - didn't get the job done at all when given jobs this year.

Dunn - has 'done' the job well in the past, probably my first choice with Petterd returning to the forward line

Gysberts - Not super quick and not a great tackler on exposed AFL form, probably better continuing to develop him as a clearance player backing up Moloney, McKenzie and Jones.

Bail - physically a good runner and good tackler, might be worth a go

Strauss - probably not suited

Blease - probably not fit enough

Bennell - rather his speed with the ball

Jetta - I like him in the midfield but does he have the endurance and speed

I asked Josh Mahoney at an end of year function where he thought Bail's future may lie......and he said in a tagging role, as he has the strength and the engine, plus enough skill and goal kicking threat to make the opposition player accountable in defence........

I asked Josh Mahoney at an end of year function where he thought Bail's future may lie......and he said in a tagging role, as he has the strength and the engine, plus enough skill and goal kicking threat to make the opposition player accountable in defence........

That makes sense.

He has the engine for it and the smarts to run the other way and make the 'star' he is on accountable the other way.

That was Godfrey's great issue. Endurance and fight, but no brains and an awful kick.

The thing with Bail is that he has such a good engine and runs to space so well, a tagged player would have problems keeping with him when we manage to get the ball.

I really like that option for Bail.

Bar injury I expect my boy Bail to be starting 18 every week. Just my opinion. When he came over from the QAFL he had a reputation of stepping up to whatever level he was playing at. Already he has shown that at senior level.

The thing I like best about him is the confidence that he possess along with all of the other physical tools. He wants the ball in his hands.

It's also about professional experience around the club, pre season training, pregame preparation. Jettisoning so much experience in the last few years is an issue. One of the intangibles of the game. I don't think its a non issue, but how much no one can really say. As the year progresses its theexperienced bodies that stand up, young players are inclined to fade.

I agree - how quick we forget! Bruce gone, and within 24hours the entire [online! ie not truly representative] Deez fanbase has jumped off him like Shawn Michaels dumping Marty Jannety through a barbershop window!

Everyone here is pretty big on predictions, ie the complete unknown...Gysberts, maybe - he bolted out of the gates, then came back to earth with a thud! Bail got some good garbage stats but is still untested. Tapscott and Blease done nothing. Morton has been promising that "next year is his year!" for past 3 years! Dunn finally started showing some flashes...

But reality is, for better part of last 3 years, what we KNOW is that its ONLY been Green, Davey & Bruce! Models of consistency in faces of adversity AND the last link to times when, y'know, used to finish in the top 8!

He will be missed, regardless of the unbridled optimism we have in our list every year...

Everyone here is pretty big on predictions, ie the complete unknown...Gysberts, maybe - he bolted out of the gates, then came back to earth with a thud! Bail got some good garbage stats but is still untested. Tapscott and Blease done nothing. Morton has been promising that "next year is his year!" for past 3 years! Dunn finally started showing some flashes...

Gysberts came back to earth with a thud? He got injured, not dropped for poor form.

Bail got garbage stats? Do you actually watch our games? You call his stats garbage in a thread about Bruce?

I would take 1 of Bails possessions instead of 5 of Bruce any single day of the week.