Mitch Thorp

baysidedave

They replayed Bails' response on KB's show. I thought that Bails was a tad 'obscure' in his response.

I heard it on SEN live and I thought they caught Bailey out.

I thought his reply had all the marks of someone covering up their interest.

I believe the MFC is interested and were trying to keep it quiet, that way they could pick him up with a late pick.

However just my thoughts on the interview.

I saw him in one game vs Casey and he killed us that day,

however we got walloped that day by 10 goals so probably anyone would have looked good.

Taken as a late pick or PSD he might be worth the risk.

He was picked at a low number by Hawthorn, so he must have shown something!

I know there were injuries and a big head, however what are we risking for one year.

Edited by old dee

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard it on SEN live and I thought they caught Bailey out.

I thought his reply had all the marks of someone covering up their interest.

I believe the MFC is interested and were trying to keep it quiet, that way they could pick him up with a late pick.

However just my thoughts on the interview.

however we got walloped that day by 10 goals so probably anyone would have looked good.

Taken as a late pick or PSD he might be worth the risk.

He was picked at a low number by Hawthorn, so he must have shown something!

I know there were injuries and a big head, however what are we risking for one year.

If TH & Co. have been keeping tabs on him at Werribee throughout the VFL season, they would know.

Whilst I'm not a big wrap for him, I did see him play against the Bullants and Casey, from what I saw impressed. He's no "big size" player as rpfc referred to (ie. a ruck), but he is agile, can take a contested mark and possesses good foot skills. And 21.

Whilst Thorp's attitude has been discussed and queried, sometimes players can come to the realisation that you "don't really appreciate how good you had it, until it's gone (taken away)."

Thorp's season at VFL level may have hit him right between the eyes.

Perhaps this is our plan B, or even C. Or perhaps it's all just a beat up.

From what i was told by a mate when he trialled he made an absolute ass of himself. 2 days into his tryout at the club he got up with another fellow and spoke to the club how we will be winning a premiership together in 2 years then proceeded to tell a coach how they did a better drill at Hawthorn later on that day.

Supposedly, was a certain not to be rookied even before he'd stepped out on the park.

[censored]

Re Bailey's quote: could equally just be a smokescreen. There's clearly interest in Thorp from other clubs it would seem, and he's being discussed on other boards as well.

Also re Bailey, same goes for his line about "taking a forward at 12". Maybe they're just trying to push some other possibles down the list.

Look at last year. Did anyone, anywhere, guess that we'd be taking the Gyzz? We'll know soon enough, and not before.

2 games in 2 years with a dodgy hamstring history?

Picking him up would be a backward step.

If we rookied him, I don't think that's a backwards step at all. Keep him there for 2 years and if he can keep fit and play well for Casey, you never know what could happen from there. He was still an elite junior and I think he deserves a chance to see if he can get over his hamstring.

He was hated at Hawthorn for being a crap bloke. Apparently all the players were happy when he got delisted.

On face value, u don't want to bring cancerous players like that into the club.

On the other hand, it is possible that being delisted was the real kick up the bum he needed. Maybe he now realises he isn't god's gift to footy.

If the club rates him, might be worth our 5th pick in the rookie draft. Definitely not the national draft, the guy doesn't deserve a spot on the senior list yet.

He was hated at Hawthorn for being a crap bloke. Apparently all the players were happy when he got delisted.

On the other hand, it is possible that being delisted was the real kick up the bum he needed. Maybe he now realises he isn't god's gift to footy.

If the club rates him, might be worth our 5th pick in the rookie draft. Definitely not the national draft, the guy doesn't deserve a spot on the senior list yet.

How many real toosers have you met that ended up good blokes 2 or 3 years later? Zero in my case. Becoming a decent bloke takes much longer than that. Let Richmond draft him.

Interesting situation, if the club is keen on this Guy i hope all of these attributes have been touched on Repeatedly. We really do not need Prima Dona idiots on the list. But if he realizes this is his final shot, well then he just might want to work real hard. I have Faith in our FD on this one.

Until halfway through the season when we're allowed a rookie upgrade.

How often is it that a club does not have at least one player on it's list that is on the chillin' list for the rest of the season..?

Good point you raise- put him on as a rookie and if he fires upgrade him. Or unless we go for someone else and do the same.

He has a few solid outings for the Tigers but he hardly set the VFL on fire. Would not be surprised if he gets a look during one of the drafts.

Our ND selections will determine his value. If we get the big bodies we want, he might not be so valuable. If we don't, Thorp becomes an interesting rookie investment.

I think you might be mistaken.

Casey beat Werribee both times this year and Thorp only played in the second game having little or no influence.

The Scorpions lost twice to the Box Hill Hawks the year before when he was a Hawks player but they certainly were not walloped by 10 goals. Both games were close all day and Thorp's performances don't stand out in my mind.

He played a few good games for Werribee but was no sensation and would be lucky to make a team's senior list. A rookie chance - possibly but I'm not sure that the Dees would gain that much by having him as a rookie.

I seem to recall these rumours being around last year as well. I think by now we've all had time to have a good look at the lad. I have no great objection to giving him a shot, but not at the expense of promising teenager. If the draft is a little thin by the time we get to our last pick then why not?

If he really is as narcissistic as all reports indicate, then it's more likely that he's spent the last year confused and can't understand why he got delisted. Then he'll spend next year confused and won't be able to understand why nobody picked him up.

He is 21,so has time on his side where as Johnson was 27 i think. Need a Jamar back up while the others develop so wouldnt hurt on the rookie list i guess

You are referring to Thorp? He's no ruckman.....

And if he is a rookie pick then we cant necessarily draw on him unless there is a LT injury.

the club wont lose anything if we rookie list him,lose nothing at all, he cant be any worse then newton , the GC have the frist few picks the the rookie draft, there wont be much quality in this year rookie draft.

I seem to recall these rumours being around last year as well.

It wasn't a rumour, he actually trained with us. But there were questions about a long-term injury he was hiding (stress fracture?) and he was given his marching orders.

Don't quote me though ...

It wasn't a rumour, he actually trained with us. But there were questions about a long-term injury he was hiding (stress fracture?) and he was given his marching orders.

Don't quote me though ...

It was always known that he was injury prone, and if memory serves me correctly I think he actually re-injured himself when training with us which ended any chance he had. Good to see he got through a full season in the VFL.