• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cameron Bruce

WonnaJurah

I've been going through all of our matches, one per day, starting this week, and Bruce was quite good in all of them that I've seen - unexpectedly so. Cameron Bruce is one of those footballers who you don't notice because they work as part of a "machine," linking out of half-back, and through into the forward-line. Any player can do one or the other, but not many can do both at the same time. Bruce would often take a kick in or recieve the ball just inside our defensive fifty, quickly pass it on to another, then receive it about fifteen seconds later fifty metres away. And he would do this all game. That's very difficult to replace.

So here you have a player whose good side is difficult to notice live, or when you're not looking for it. So when you have that in addition to one of the most spectacularly noticeable flaws - occasional poor disposal - which probably ranks just behind squibbing (something I don't really thing Bruce does) and poor goal-kicking as the most visible defects in a player's game, you have a team member who is likely to be criminally underrated by his "supporters." I hope we keep Bruce for another year, but not at more than he's worth.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone can question Bruce's contribution to MFC over the past decade, and some of the vitriol towards him at this point probably goes too far. Likewise the suggestion that we can't make finals without Bruce and the subsequently unreasonable comparisons to junior players.

The fact is that Bruce is now our oldest player and this represents a risk when negotiating his contract. Signing him for a one year deal mitigates that risk and is necessary IMO. The fact that he was recently 6th in our B&F is not important and should be taken in context. Brad Johnson was 4th in the Bulldogs' B&F last year and then fell off a cliff.

Bruce would probably be a handy player to have around the club next year and maybe for a year or two after that but the end of his career is near and the end typically creeps up quickly. For this reason, nothing about the club's stance seems unreasonable to me. They are fast chalking up a reputation for making shrewd commercial calls.

It would be good if Bruce stayed for a bit longer but I doubt it will impact us much either way. Certainly not by 2012.

Edited by Deemolition

I've been going through all of our matches, one per day, starting this week, and Bruce was quite good in all of them that I've seen - unexpectedly so. Cameron Bruce is one of those footballers who you don't notice because they work as part of a "machine," linking out of half-back, and through into the forward-line. Any player can do one or the other, but not many can do both at the same time. Bruce would often take a kick in or recieve the ball just inside our defensive fifty, quickly pass it on to another, then receive it about fifteen seconds later fifty metres away. And he would do this all game. That's very difficult to replace.

So here you have a player whose good side is difficult to notice live, or when you're not looking for it. So when you have that in addition to one of the most spectacularly noticeable flaws - occasional poor disposal - which probably ranks just behind squibbing (something I don't really thing Bruce does) and poor goal-kicking as the most visible defects in a player's game, you have a team member who is likely to be criminally underrated by his "supporters." I hope we keep Bruce for another year, but not at more than he's worth.

Well said chook. At least you took the time to review replays and focussed on all aspects, rather than the just the disposal weaknesses. Too many observers like to jump the gun. Bruce's days may be numbered but while he can still read the play well and his motor holds up he has something to offer. His fitness allows him to play out the end of a season well whilst many of our younger boys will naturally fade a little towards the end.

Take the offer Cam and prove the knockers wrong

Rubbish.

You rely on 22 players, and by extension 30-40 players to get to finals. Bruce would be among the most important as one of only a few genuine experienced heads.

Plus, these days injury has as much of a say in a team's results as any factor in a single season, and Bruce has shown that he's very resilient.

Typical Bruce hating demonland tripe... Y_M started it on a whim, and it never quite got stamped out.

So...did you actually read the post I was responding to... or mine?

BBP claims if we don't sign Bruce we don't play finals this year. I disagree, as much because I don't think we'll be relying on a 31-32 year old, possible role player by next year, as well as considering the types of players we should have in the backline, midfield and forwardline winning us matches.

You then retort by saying that you rely on 22-40 players to make finals, hence, you also disagree with BBP.

Typical over-reacting.

Edited by 45HG16

I will remind those complaiining about the "Bruce bashers" that we admire a great deal about Cameron.

He is an elite runner.

He has a great amount of class.

He can play in any position on the field.

He knows where to run on the field.

He has an awful kicking style.

Is that better? More holistic?

It's all beside the point.

We are here to win a flag. Where does Bruce sit in regard to that aim?

In the stands with me, unfortunately. It is just the luck of the draw - a stalwart without time and age on his side.

Yes, we can get near it in the next two years.

But the club hasn't planned to win one in the next two years - they want a prolonged period of success when our (hard earned) talent gets going.

I want a flag. And I don't care about sentiment, or delusions of grandeur (RF - Really? A flag chance next year? Raising expectations and corresponding disappointment is what we MFC supporters do I guess (I heard a lot of it leading up to the GF in 2000 - luckily I packed REM for the train ride home)).

I think Cameron has been a great player for the Demons, but his time as one of our most important players is over.

I think most of the criticism is a reaction to his stonewalling. As our most senior player he is not going to perform as at his peak but still be of value. No one is denying him an extra season. But ours is a young club short of experienced leaders. The best contribution our most senior player can offer is leadership and guidance for the group. I think many posters recognise this is lacking in Bruce and are frustrated by this messy post season episode.

When all's said and done he's entitled like everyone else to negotiate the best possible deal for himself and there's no need for anyone to make that a personal issue or one deserving rancor towards the player who has been a great servant of the club in the past and who, during 2010, was certainly in our best 22. If he stays at the club I have little doubt he is good enough to remain at that level for at least another year.

I will remind those complaiining about the "Bruce bashers" that we admire a great deal about Cameron.

He is an elite runner.

He has a great amount of class.

He can play in any position on the field.

He knows where to run on the field.

He has an awful kicking style.

Is that better? More holistic?

It's all beside the point.

We are here to win a flag. Where does Bruce sit in regard to that aim?

In the stands with me, unfortunately. It is just the luck of the draw - a stalwart without time and age on his side.

Yes, we can get near it in the next two years.

But the club hasn't planned to win one in the next two years - they want a prolonged period of success when our (hard earned) talent gets going.

I want a flag. And I don't care about sentiment, or delusions of grandeur (RF - Really? A flag chance next year? Raising expectations and corresponding disappointment is what we MFC supporters do I guess (I heard a lot of it leading up to the GF in 2000 - luckily I packed REM for the train ride home)).

I think Cameron has been a great player for the Demons, but his time as one of our most important players is over.

We were one of the few sides that could compete with Collingwood last year and we had quite a few players underdone, this year those players will have the benefit of a full pre season, Rivers, Watts, Scully and a few others that were coming off injuries. We lost a couple early Jurrah and Petterd and had a disrupted season, there is no reason why we can't win a flag this season and I expect a big improvement this year.

We can be very competitive in individual matches, but the challenge is stringing them together and maintaining that form for most of a season and finals all the way to the one that counts.

We are still some way off that.

What I'm saying is there is a certain "lemming" effect on this board (and Demonlogy), all you need are a couple of "vocal" posters criticising a player for poor disposal and the next thing you know it becomes an accepted fact. I'm not suggesting that Cam Bruce hasn't turned the ball over, he has, but he does a lot of really good work in between, all I'm saying is that they all turn it over but some of the whipping boys get criticised for it and some of the poster boys can do no wrong. Daniel Ward had other issues and that's why he was delisted he simply wasn't good enough but his disposal was no where near as bad as some would have you believe.

Sure, everyone turns the ball over at times, but I think it's fair to say Bruce's disposal is worse than average. I also think the number of people exaggerating it are cancelled out by those who lean to the opposite extreme.

On Ward, he would have been 'good enough' to play more footy if he didn't turn the ball over as much and I reckon this is pretty uncontroversial, irrespective of the 'other issues' you point to. Fortunately for Bruce he's a better player than Ward, as you suggest, and this is why he's still around.

At the start of the year I doubt that anyone would have thought that Collingwood would win the flag so comprehensively and yet they did, I can't see why we can't win one, there are a few on the slide we have a good draw and we will have a much better preparation than last year. We had the walking wounded this time last year and we had some very good kids, on limited preparation playing their first year.

Collingwood were tipped by many to be right up there, so it's not like they came out of nowhere. I think many would have listed the Pies shortly after Geelong and St Kilda. (As an aside, I'm not so sure they so comprehensively won the flag - the first game was drawn!).

We could very well do a baby Demons and go all the way.

We'll see.

We can be very competitive in individual matches, but the challenge is stringing them together and maintaining that form for most of a season and finals all the way to the one that counts.

I agree. Playing good footy is just one part of the equation. Sure, we did that. We also played horrible footy against some average sides.

you don't know anything about the inner life of the football club, none of you do. I tell you what he is a better kick than Tom Scully and Jack Grimes but nobody would ever suggest that is justification for either of them being dropped/delisted. There are several players who get regular games who are as soft as s--t but you don't hear about that either. The only things I've ever heard about Bruce is that he is the ultimate professional, and is highly respected at the club, and now he and Green are the only ones left who are over 27. I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated, but it amazes me that some body could finish in the top10 of the B+F ten years running, 5 times in the top5, WIN IT 2 YEARS AGO and make it again THIS YEAR and people still reckon he serves no purpose. How can anyone justify that?

Spot on. But the people who should be listening won't.

Spot on. But the people who should be listening won't.

How is it spot on?

Bruce isn't being dropped or delisted, so the comparison of dropping or delisting 2 top 20 picked kids who are arguably as good or a better kick than Bruce is a stupid one.

He wants more money, he's been highly paid his whole career, now is not the time to be messing the club around. Sign on and enjoy your twilight and remain a great -edit. one club - contributor, or chase success elsewhere.

Several other players are 'soft as s--t' and you DO hear about it. Beer & Curry's very own Bennell has copped it, I wrote about Morton ages ago so have many others, even the god that is Liam Jurrah has copped it. These are kids, why should they cop it when they have hard nut leaders like Brucey setting the example?

B&C put the fact that Bruce won a Best and Fairest in capitals, if memory serves me correctly he said Green was robbed at the time.

Bruce plays 20 games a year and gets heaps of the ball and is well paid, being in the top 10 should be a given. Not saying that's not a good achievement, but I'm not sure it should give him the right to demand more money now.

Apart from all that, yeah, 'spot on'

Edited by Deestroy All

spot on, yes we can match it with the pies on our day but our problem is playing good consistent footy for the whole year and eliminating loses to the likes of west cost at the G for god sake n winning interstate at places like AAMI, yes we will improve a lot nxt year n i expect us to play finals but we our still a few years off a grand final let alone winning one, patience n we will finally have our day in the sun!

DemonsHQ Melbourne FC:

The Dees confirm that Cameron Bruce will be leaving the club. He advised Dean Bailey of his decision this afternoon. Bruce will nominate for the national draft. The club thanks him for his outstanding career and we wish him well for the future.

[censored]...

Someone get on the phone to junior, stat.

Seriously, I'm happy for him to go, but what a [censored] Bruce is, to do this at this stage.

Our offer would have been there for some time.

Edited by E25

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Another defector. I don't know why we (1) can't entice players to come to us or (2) entice them to stay.

HERALD SUN ....//www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-bruce-quits-demons/story-e6frf9jf-1225948802994

Another defector. I don't know why we (1) can't entice players to come to us or (2) entice them to stay.

It's because you suffer from MFCSS and you should seek treatment immediately.

If it was that important for us to keep him, we would have.