• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Cameron Bruce

WonnaJurah

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little confused. Why wouldn't we be able to use another pick in the ND??? Yesterday was list-lodgement 1, there are 3 list lodgements. So again, how are we not allowed to use an extra pick in the ND???

He was on the veteran's list, meaning we are allowed an extra senior player on our list in place of a rookie. Effectively it amounts to having the veteran instead of a rookie. With Bruce gone and nobody else eligible to take his spot on the vets list, we lose that extra spot and get the rookie spot back.

I'm a little confused. Why wouldn't we be able to use another pick in the ND??? Yesterday was list-lodgement 1, there are 3 list lodgements. So again, how are we not allowed to use an extra pick in the ND???

As a veteran, Bruce cost us a rookie pick (& half his salary was excluded from the cap).

Now he is gone, we get an extra pick in the ND or PD, and an extra rookie.

Think that's how it goes.

ED.: not quite right - see Nashers reply above.

Edited by Mono

Gee, disappointing it's happened this way. Junior now Bruce, I'm not entirely sure what to make of all that from a club perspective.

From an on field perspective we will be fine. Players like Bennell to step up, he is a player that I see could play off half back and Davey, Green, Sylvia to step up as leaders.

It seems the young guys take a fair bit from Jones & Moloney. Even though I am still undecided on both it is a big opportunity for them both to really step up their on field effectiveness, consistently. Their preparation for each week seems to be second to none and a fine example.

To Cam Bruce, mixed memories no doubt but plenty of fond one's amongst them. He is capable of 2 more years of football and I hope he kicks himself if we can salute as early as 2012.

All the best Brucey. (There will be zero love if he ends up at Ess, Carl or Hawthorn)

How quickly before he is removed from above here on D'land?

Well done a balanced post on this thread, who would have thought.

I guess the concern is the loss of two leaders in the one year and what effect it will have on the other players, will it give them a negative view of the club as one that doesn't care about its older players and one that discards champions of the club ruthlessly? Hopefully the next level of leaders will not let it affect them and they assume the role in place of Junior and Brucey.

it would be funny to pick him up in the draft and force him into retirement hahahaa

but seriously what club would be interested in him?

He was on the veteran's list, meaning we are allowed an extra senior player on our list in place of a rookie. Effectively it amounts to having the veteran instead of a rookie. With Bruce gone and nobody else eligible to take his spot on the vets list, we lose that extra spot and get the rookie spot back.

Cheers for that! :)

it would be funny to pick him up in the draft and force him into retirement hahahaa

but seriously what club would be interested in him?

Hahahaha. Gold.

Soft as they come.

Most courageous decision I have seen Cam make. Handy at best. Apparently Gold Coast made a huge play this time last year and the $ finally got him over the line it seems. Positive is that MFC culture has changed. Bravo.

I'm surprised, but if I were Bruce I'd have considered it, given the Club's view on older guys.

Purely for nostalgic reasons it'll be a bit disappointing to see Bruce go, but Joel MacDonald will take on a similar role in defence and I doubt we'll be much worse off.

It does mean it's easier to squeeze into our 22 some younger guys that we want to get games into.

In addition, is it right that we can now have a nominated rookie elevation from round 1, regardless of LTI?

Another defector. I don't know why we (1) can't entice players to come to us or (2) entice them to stay.

If we were super keen on Bruce we would have offered him two years. We didn't, so clearly we're not.

(Recently we've managed to retain guys like Jamar and Davey, so I think you're drawing a long bow with the idea we can't keep players anyway - not that it applies in this case either way).

Gee, disappointing it's happened this way. Junior now Bruce, I'm not entirely sure what to make of all that from a club perspective.

From an on field perspective we will be fine. Players like Bennell to step up, he is a player that I see could play off half back and Davey, Green, Sylvia to step up as leaders.

It seems the young guys take a fair bit from Jones & Moloney. Even though I am still undecided on both it is a big opportunity for them both to really step up their on field effectiveness, consistently. Their preparation for each week seems to be second to none and a fine example.

To Cam Bruce, mixed memories no doubt but plenty of fond one's amongst them. He is capable of 2 more years of football and I hope he kicks himself if we can salute as early as 2012.

All the best Brucey. (There will be zero love if he ends up at Ess, Carl or Hawthorn)

How quickly before he is removed from above here on D'land?

i dont understand why people dont understand what is happening. a group of kids who come through playing together , for a senior player to hold his spot he must be best/or one of, in his position for his team , average senior players will not hold their spots on sentiment alone with a stable full of kids chomping at the bit. good one on one defender , terrible disposal. even if he signed for one, would have been to late to change clubs next year.

A Question to ask ourselves & one the club would have no doubt thought long over....

What did we win or achieve whilst Cameron Bruce was on the list??? The simple answer is Nothing. Plus we paid him a lot of coin during that process.

The MFC has made the right decision, what we had on the table for Bruce was fair. If he is not Happy "Toodle Pip son" The sad thing is if he had played well next year he would be selected, how much more assurance can the club give anyone??

I am disappointed in Cameron Bruce over this.

A great servant of our Club over the journey, but is in his 'twilight years' and is by no means essential to our plans for 2011 or beyond! A sad way to end a decorated career at the MFC, and I think Cam will regret his decision over time.

P

Geeeeee I was sooooooooo surprised when I saw Ricky Nixon's name denigrating that article. (The original leach of a manager).

I was a defender of Bruce over the years, including last, but am happy to see a spot opened up for the development of a younger player.

He CLEARLY knew he was soon to be overtaken by younger men and wanted to squeeze a 'pension' year out of our club that made him what he is.

When you think where Bruce came from (long shot on the supplimentary list) he should have been happy to get this far, but clearly is still in the frame of mind about taking and NOT giving back.

I wish him well is his life AFTER football (but look forward to seeing his remaining football career fall in a steaming heap) and thank him for the memories I have of him that started in the last year we contested a grand final.

Cameron ME, ME, ME has now changed to Cameron BOO, BOO, BOO. (with a target on his back).

GO DEES - Building for the future (and doing so with RUTHLESS precision).

Geeeeee I was sooooooooo surprised when I saw Ricky Nixon's name denigrating that article. (The original leach of a manager).

I was a defender of Bruce over the years, including last, but am happy to see a spot opened up for the development of a younger player.

He CLEARLY knew he was soon to be overtaken by younger men and wanted to squeeze a 'pension' year out of our club that made him what he is.

When you think where Bruce came from (long shot on the supplimentary list) he should have been happy to get this far, but clearly is still in the frame of mind about taking and NOT giving back.

I wish him well is his life AFTER football (but look forward to seeing his remaining football career fall in a steaming heap) and thank him for the memories I have of him that started in the last year we contested a grand final.

Cameron ME, ME, ME has now changed to Cameron BOO, BOO, BOO. (with a target on his back).

GO DEES - Building for the future (and doing so with RUTHLESS precision).

Why is there this weird idea that a guy like Bruce owes the Club?

The Club didn't give Bruce a chance on the supp list because it is a charity, the Club did it because it felt it might be able to find a player they could use.

Bruce gave the Club what it was owed - 11(?) years of service rendered for wages received. I believe he also did this with some pretty severe injuries at times, as players are expected to do. From what I know he was 'professional' in his approach and certainly didn't play up in a manner damaging to the Club (unlike a Fev or Aker).

IMHO you'd be pretty silly to stick around at a Club that likely wanted to boot you out pretty soon if you loved playing footy (or just wanted to keep doing your job a bit longer) and thought you could do so elsehwere.

Bruce was a solid servant for the club, but unfortunately my lasting memory of him will be that disgraceful last quarter of his against the Roos this year.

No wonder he felt unsure about his place in our side going forward when one of your supposed leaders puts in such a weak and pathetic display when a game is in the balance, he should feel insecure. Seeee-Yaaaa!

Why is there this weird idea that a guy like Bruce owes the Club?

The Club didn't give Bruce a chance on the supp list because it is a charity, the Club did it because it felt it might be able to find a player they could use.

Bruce gave the Club what it was owed - 11(?) years of service rendered for wages received. I believe he also did this with some pretty severe injuries at times, as players are expected to do. From what I know he was 'professional' in his approach and certainly didn't play up in a manner damaging to the Club (unlike a Fev or Aker).

IMHO you'd be pretty silly to stick around at a Club that likely wanted to boot you out pretty soon if you loved playing footy (or just wanted to keep doing your job a bit longer) and thought you could do so elsehwere.

Fair enough. It`s a good point!

But why not seek a trade for the benefit of the club that supported his career and paid him very handsomely for the last 3 or 4 years in particular.

That is why fans are going to be dirty with him, and deservedly so.

Not sure about the "he won't be in a team that plays for a flag, so get rid of him now" logic. There's a place in the team for good, solid players, no matter what their age. He's consistenly in our top 10, if not our top 5, and his presence on the field brings something to the kids around him.

He seems to be holding up pretty well, so what's to say he can't continue to play decent footy and have a place for another 3-5 years? In which case, presumably, he would start to have a chance of being in a GF team - on a yearly contract of course.

Look at the role Junior played this year at what, 4 years older than Bruce?

Not sure about the "he won't be in a team that plays for a flag, so get rid of him now" logic. There's a place in the team for good, solid players, no matter what their age. He's consistenly in our top 10, if not our top 5, and his presence on the field brings something to the kids around him.

He seems to be holding up pretty well, so what's to say he can't continue to play decent footy and have a place for another 3-5 years? In which case, presumably, he would start to have a chance of being in a GF team - on a yearly contract of course.

Look at the role Junior played this year at what, 4 years older than Bruce?

Joel Bowden was consistently in this bracket of player too, but was never going to help the Tigers win games and move forward. I see Bruce in the same light.

Bruce was a solid servant for the club, but unfortunately my lasting memory of him will be that disgraceful last quarter of his against the Roos this year.

Missed that game, was overseas. What happened?

Missed that game, was overseas. What happened?

cost us about 4 goals from his direct turnovers in the last qrt

i dont understand why people dont understand what is happening. a group of kids who come through playing together , for a senior player to hold his spot he must be best/or one of, in his position for his team , average senior players will not hold their spots on sentiment alone with a stable full of kids chomping at the bit. good one on one defender , terrible disposal. even if he signed for one, would have been to late to change clubs next year.

There was no sentiment from me, rather a touch of concern at the loss of Junior & Bruce as leaders. I do understand what is happening and back the club 100%.

I'm all for seeing a group that delivers a flag. Bruce was part of many decent sides that failed to get there and his departure allows for one of the kids to develop quicker, hopefully. It opens a spot in any case.