Looking for Supporters

Jordie_tackles

I always hate it when the stars align so that i have to go it alone.. but the silver lining is that you pop on the headphones and get into an insular, zen-like state and absorb the contest in the fullest way possible

All the same..I still enjoy it. You're right about absorbing the contest more; less distractions I guess.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I end up alone at a match, I absorb more of the game .

I watch it more analytically, spending time watching zone setups, focusing on individual players and how they do certain things rather than focusing on the play at all times.

On my own I go into a zone & mutter to myself a lot.

Lately I've had a lot more friends coming to games and I find these "alone times" becoming rare.

I actually miss them.

When I'm with others I tend to follow the play more closely and ride the wave of emotions through the match.

It's more of an entertainment thing. I'm more vocal around mates and I'm not on edge quite in the same way.

When I end up alone at a match, I absorb more of the game .

I watch it more analytically, spending time watching zone setups, focusing on individual players and how they do certain things rather than focusing on the play at all times.

On my own I go into a zone & mutter to myself a lot.

Lately I've had a lot more friends coming to games and I find these "alone times" becoming rare.

I actually miss them.

When I'm with others I tend to follow the play more closely and ride the wave of emotions through the match.

It's more of an entertainment thing. I'm more vocal around mates and I'm not on edge quite in the same way.

Yeah, my game-day routine is to ride my bike in to the game, park it under cover, then make my way to the very top level at a 90 degree angle to the goals, directly across from the MCC Members stand, then shut up and actually watch a game of football, trying my best to see things as they are, not as I wished they were. It's actually refreshing to go home from a game without a hoarse voice, and not blaming the umpires for killing our game. Of course, when we play Hawthorn, all of that goes out the window and I become a rabid dog, baying for the blood of our enemies.

Hey there good post interesting reading were everyone enjoys watching the game. I'm an AFL member (MFC affiliate) and we almost always sit on the afl members wing. Sometimes i go alone, sometimes with my kids (8 yr old daughter bulldogs, 5 year old daughter Dee's and 9 month old son 110% Dees) and my Wife (Carlton, but loves the dee's, would happily become a member if i paid for it). Or my Folks. I have been considering getting my own seat so i can share the good and the bad with fellow passionate dee's. I have not meet too many in the AFL members but would love to catch up for a beer with any of you guys out there.

I sit behind the interchange in the MFC members seats with my brother and young lad. Your post has given me a sad realization (similar to that one you have when you work out for the first time that you are too old to be drafted by the club.) At 47, my 6 year old is closer in age to you than I am.......sadly he is not quite up for a brew just yet.

Feel free to join me and my crew in the Redlegs (reserved seats).

REDLEGS RESERVED AREA... great spot to go. Mixed age groups. Can move around till you find the right group. :wub:

For all the dudes that go solo, why not get a 'land crew happenin.. I'll be in it for sure, good to catch up week in week out at the g

Yeah would be definately keen to get a few supporters together, thanks to everybody for the feedback its great to hear that everyone is happy to welcome in a newby to the crowd.

Also was a great insite into other supporters perspective of melbourne games

• 4 months later...

Ok guys, it is getting close to the start of the season and after considering the advice in this thread think that i will sign up for a redlegs membership!!

If anyone else is looking for someone to go along to the footy with (new-melbourne members) let me know though this thread and we can try to book some seats close :)

thanks JT

My Dad & i have been watching the Demons for the most part of 40 years...I didn't go so often when we wore the light blue jumper- i hated that thing!!!

But since 1987 Round 1, i have seen most MCG games from the MCC with my dad, it's fantastic.

By God we will see Flag(s) together.....! :lol:

I have just upgraded my membership to the Redlegs membership this season after 11 seasons on a regular membership....thought no better time than now to make the bigger commitment to the club...so I will be sitting in the Redlegs reserved area also some weeks and more than keen for a beer or several!!! What are the room that Redlegs supporters get access to after the games?

Personally i hang up the back of the cheer squad, unless i have friends/workmates along as well, then i'm generally still in the GSS, a little further back.

I'm similar to a few earlier posters in that I love going to the footy by myself and analysing it as well as doing the 'out with mates' thing - it also helps when you can rant and rave and cheer and scream yourself hoarse/clap your hands off, and not become involved in an hour and a half's conversation during all the play!

Am I the only one who would prefer going to the footy by myself?

Sometimes I think I'm a bit abnormal :P

I've done both Nash, but over the Years most of my freinds weren't Dees supporters. i grew up in a .Aints stronghold. But never caved in.

So I've done a lot of solo barracking, & when I was barracking for us to lose, I preferred to go by myself.

Now a bit of both, but only know cynical bitter old Dees supporters. Not too much fun when there grumbling rather than being happy.

I'm sick a being angry.

As a kid I'd go with my dad and sister , sit up in the 1st tear of the grandstand on the outer wing .

Was a great spot for watching the game unfold . Sometimes I'd cringe when the old man got into verbal stouches with opposition supporters thinking that any minute I'd have to defend him and we'd all topple over the edge.

When I get to games nowadays , it's mostly still with the old man and sister accept now it's gone full circle , the old man is the quiet 1 while I find myself struggling to resist flying the flag against ferals bad mouthing our club :lol: .

Usually sit in a pocket on the fence now (mainly due to my sister) , alot harder to see who has space etc. at the opposite end of the ground but I get a kick out've seeing and hearing the body contact and big goal square clashes etc close up . Gotta say I enjoy giving the opposition players a spray from close qrs too .

Living up the bush I don't get to as many games as I'd like anymore and tend to get rather tribal when I do . I love the crowd participation as much as the game , the oohs and ahhs , the roars of approval from our supporters when we are putting it together . I try to make my little patch a hostile environment for opposition clubs but often tend to settle around 1/2 time as my voice is just about shot by then , must learn to pace myself . :lol:

Watching the Demons on a roll is great for the soul . B)

Edited by Fork 'em

Normally go alone. Had a seat on the HFF in M14 for years, sat in the old red seats before that. Went with the old man until he got ill and passed away. The area really thiined out after the Olypic Stand opened, last year the club suggested I move over a bay but never got around to it. This year I upgraded to Tridents, so see how that is. Never really liked the atmosphere of Redlegs or MCC when I've gone there with mates.

I also like going alone, listen to the radio. I think I'll miss the occaisional banter across the ailse to opposition supporters though, most of it was good natured.

The best thing I can suggest is to buy a reserved seat. You'll get to sit next to the same people week in week out and over time you develop a footy relationship with them.

I for one would feel a bit sad if I didn't get to experience the joy of a premiership with the guys I sit next to nearly every week, who share my ridiculous passion and whom I've shared many a high-fives/ face-palm moments with over the year.

I've been sitting with the same group for 6 years. The thing that really gets to me is come finals time....your plonked in a great seat but don't get to experience a finals win or a GF with the people you endured the years of hardship with.

Normally go alone. Had a seat on the HFF in M14 for years, sat in the old red seats before that. Went with the old man until he got ill and passed away. The area really thiined out after the Olypic Stand opened, last year the club suggested I move over a bay but never got around to it. This year I upgraded to Tridents, so see how that is. Never really liked the atmosphere of Redlegs or MCC when I've gone there with mates.

I also like going alone, listen to the radio. I think I'll miss the occaisional banter across the ailse to opposition supporters though, most of it was good natured.

You won't be dissapointed with the Tridents membership. Went from Redlegs 6 years ago and never lokked back.

Anyone hold a legends membership? Just wondering what the vibe is like there.

The vibe is not bad, very family friendly at the moment - But certainly the vibe is not as potent as some of the other areas of the ground. There are, however, a select few of us who sit up the front and scream our lungs out each week and Tom who tries valiantly week in, week out to get the section and the team pumping.

Apparently Legends is close to being sold out this season, hopefully there is a real injection of fresh enthusiasm and we get a few more voices added to our own. :)

Edited by Trengove

I was a redleg and like a few about 5 years ago changes to Trident, I hated the Hassett Room and the southern stand. Love the Trident seats find it a little bit younger than the Redlegs, good bar behind us and the Presidents Lunch is next to us so you often catch up with Players past and current, Staff and Coaches.

The best thing I can suggest is to buy a reserved seat. You'll get to sit next to the same people week in week out and over time you develop a footy relationship with them.

I for one would feel a bit sad if I didn't get to experience the joy of a premiership with the guys I sit next to nearly every week, who share my ridiculous passion and whom I've shared many a high-fives/ face-palm moments with over the year.

Thats only half the story. The whole TV audience often shares the games with you... Those seats are mint.

I've got a Trident membership, which is pretty much the next bay across sharing all the same facilties, it's a pretty good vibe up there being surrounded by Dees supporters, and the seats offer a fantastic view

This will be my second year as a Presidents, now called Legends member. I really enjoy it there, the supporters are friendly and welcoming. It was suggested to join the Legends by my mate that I go to the footy with as a trial for one year, we both enjoyed the presidents lunch day which is part of the membership package and this is for two people for a Demons home game, he takes me and I take him so we get two lunches (this is the only time his wife is interested in going to a game). So we rejoined again this year.

Like alot of others here going to the footy was a family affair for me for a loooooong time, but now my mother is to old to go (she will be a 50 year member next year) and my sister has moved to the Sunny Coast.

Very glad I met Tony and we have a great time at the games.

Good luck at the footy JT.

Go Dee's

The vibe is not bad, very family friendly at the moment - But certainly the vibe is not as potent as some of the other areas of the ground. There are, however, a select few of us who sit up the front and scream our lungs out each week and Tom who tries valiantly week in, week out to get the section and the team pumping.

Apparently Legends is close to being sold out this season, hopefully there is a real injection of fresh enthusiasm and we get a few more voices added to our own. :)

I've got a Trident membership, which is pretty much the next bay across sharing all the same facilties, it's a pretty good vibe up there being surrounded by Dees supporters, and the seats offer a fantastic view

This will be my second year as a Presidents, now called Legends member. I really enjoy it there, the supporters are friendly and welcoming. It was suggested to join the Legends by my mate that I go to the footy with as a trial for one year, we both enjoyed the presidents lunch day which is part of the membership package and this is for two people for a Demons home game, he takes me and I take him so we get two lunches (this is the only time his wife is interested in going to a game). So we rejoined again this year.

Awesome, sounds good. My gf and I upgraded to the Legend's membership after the 2010 season, and we're really looking forward to it. What's the word on the Presidents club for one home game feature? What does this entail? Why is it worth $600?