Why Best Available?

Arrow

Happy to admit i appear to be one of only a few who feel that the days of best available are over however i'm just keen on hearing why people think its the better option.

I agreed with the policy of years gone by, however we are no longer a 'rebuilding' club. We have most pieces in place now we just need development and certain areas fixed. Thats why i think we now need to draft for needs. I really hope if Lynch and Smedts are both on the board at 12 we choose Lynch even though Smedts is probably the 'better' player.

Who knows, the FD know what they are doing but its my 2 cents

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would have thrown this pick at Sydney or Brisbane to get a FF/ruck so I am in the FCS let's get a FF/ruck camp.

But when you are picking 18 year olds - you really should go for the talent.

But by all means have a 'tall player affirmative action' plan...

With the club planning on getting another (probable) gun young mid in 2012 ie Viney, has that also factored into their thinking now in relation to taking the chance on a tall. I believe it is a calculated risk that the club should take.

With the club planning on getting another (probable) gun young mid in 2012 ie Viney, has that also factored into their thinking now in relation to taking the chance on a tall. I believe it is a calculated risk that the club should take.

Interesting thought there. Family and love aside, How good is Jack Viney?? Top 5 in the draft-is he that good. I have seen nothing of him play, just read snippets off here.

The Westies did well with there Wallis F/S he looks a star. Is jack Viney on a par??

Interesting thought there. Family and love aside, How good is Jack Viney?? Top 5 in the draft-is he that good. I have seen nothing of him play, just read snippets off here.

The Westies did well with there Wallis F/S he looks a star. Is jack Viney on a par??

All the reports I've seen on his suggest he'd be a likely top five if not the no. 1. Absolute value for money. We'll be spending our first round pick on him, but it's totally worth it.

All the reports I've seen on his suggest he'd be a likely top five if not the no. 1. Absolute value for money. We'll be spending our first round pick on him, but it's totally worth it.

That's good to know...Thanks. 2-3 years down the track. Could this be our Decade? 'Bout time we got some luck B)

I'm big on best available, but I also see the merits in getting a big KPF. Whether or not we draft a KPF with pick 12 I am not entirely sure - that would depend on who is available at pick 12. GC have several picks prior to our pick - I would suspect one or two - of the best - might be drafted by them.

I'm sure the FD - as always - would have a run down of different scenario's in place if their desired draftees fall before pick 12.

I'm aware of some of the players KS has predicted might go at pick 12. I like Smedts and Lynch out of those. I also like the look of Inner Demon's Callum Sinclair (22yo) option. (perhaps a later pick option ~ 32, 49/52 ?)

Best available for me. There is always next year in October if the club desires to go all out for an established KPF within the AFL. But that doesn't mean we might not draft a KPF to develop in this year's draft.

never, never bet your balls steamin, they might come in handy one day :)

Humanity may be better off if he lost his.

On recruiting. I'm firmly in the best available camp at all times. We can always trade a gun midfielder surplus to our needs but a dud bigman is always a dud bigman.

My dream (semi-realistic) draft:

pick 12 - Tom Lynch - giant KPF with freak athleticism, good below the knees

pick 32 - Ben Jacobs - rebounding ball magnet with booming kick

pick 49 - Luke Mitchell - promising young KPP

pick 52 - Callum Sinclair - mature bodied KPF/ruck

Best available >>>>> best what ??????

If you're looking for a ute you don't buy a BMW m3 !! It's a great car but not what you NEED !

What we need as a team has been discussed ad nauseum. So by all means can we get the best available ... Big forward !!!

If you're looking for a ute you don't buy a BMW m3 !! It's a great car but not what you NEED !

But they're both the same price, so you would obviously take the BMW.

If you really needed the ute the you could take the BMW now, then sell it. With that value you could buy your ute and still have enough left over to buy a Commodore.

Ute + Commodore > Ute.

Edited by Axis of Bob

My dream (semi-realistic) draft:

pick 12 - Tom Lynch - giant KPF with freak athleticism, good below the knees

pick 32 - Ben Jacobs - rebounding ball magnet with booming kick

pick 49 - Luke Mitchell - promising young KPP

pick 52 - Callum Sinclair - mature bodied KPF/ruck

You are the biggest armchair recruiter on this site.

Mitchell is a Rookie prospect at best due to his inability below his knees, and to think Ben Jacobs would be still there at pick 32 is just a joke.

You are the biggest armchair recruiter on this site.

Mitchell is a Rookie prospect at best due to his inability below his knees, and to think Ben Jacobs would be still there at pick 32 is just a joke.

Yeah, but I openly admit it.

I don't have a clue compared to BP & TH.

Mitchell will go much higher than rookie draft.

Jacobs will probably be taken about 10 picks before then, but that's why it's a dream scenario.

For you to make those claims make you just as bad as me sherlock.

I think we've still got deficiencies in all areas of our list. Sure I've been banging on about the need for a forward-ruck but the problem there is maturity not that we haven't got any prospects - Fitzpatrick and Gawn were drafted last year. Prioritising getting another 18yo on our list is not particularly helpful - we need everything - defensive small backs, attacking small backs, tall backs, inside mids, outside mids, tall forwards, small forwards - one of the areas we're probably best served in the hopper for is ruck with Spencer, Gawn and Fitzpatrick in development. That's why if I favour continuing with "best available" (whatever that exactly means) with our early picks. Trade for a specific role.

I think with Melb's courting of Hale we have seen the FD start to be more focused on filling holes in an almost complete line up rather than staying with the best available. Looking at Collingwood last year with Jolly and Ball teams get more specific in their needs as they close in on the top four and flag. I'd suggest like many that we would be looking at our forward line needs with pick 12, and the days of "best available" are behind us or at least more nuanced.

Edited by predman

The best available at all times.

Turn it around and imagine standing up and explaining to your board that you bypassed a better footballer who was at exactly the same price to take someone that you freely admit is not as good a footballer. Best way to lose your job.

I think with Melb's courting of Hale we have seen the FD start to be more focused on filling holes in an almost complete line up rather than staying with the best available. Looking at Collingwood last year with Jolly and Ball teams get more specific in their needs as they close in on the top four and flag. I'd suggest like many that we would be looking at our forward line needs with pick 12, and the days of "best available" are behind us or at least more nuanced.

There's a big difference between trade and draft.

Best available >>>>> best what ??????

What we need as a team has been discussed ad nauseum. So by all means can we get the best available ... Big forward !!!

But they're both the same price, so you would obviously take the BMW.

If you really needed the ute the you could take the BMW now, then sell it. With that value you could buy your ute and still have enough left over to buy a Commodore.

Ute + Commodore > Ute.

Clarkson, May & Hammond discussing the draft now?

+ 1 - in agreement with belzebub & predman.

It is an area we need to look to fill, the player available will be one of the best available at the time. Pretty simple.

Edited by Demon Hill